• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Platinum released!

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yes, it would, but as you said; that would make sense, and no one wants that.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I don't get this board sometimes. Maybe I should stop trying to compare pokecenter to light house though.

:393:

XACE-K

Smash Master
I want this but there are 2 things in my way:

1. Money - I'm broke, so need some. XD

2. Going to the Store - I'm one of those people who secretly like Pokemon and never expose it to others. So due to this, if I go to the store to buy this, I'd feel like a loser.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This is going to seem really stereotypical advice, but...forget what people think. If anyone thinks you're a loser because you like Pokemon they're ignorant and not worth your time. I mean, I don't shout from the rooftops that I like Pokemon...but I really don't give a rat's *** what people think, and I really think I'm better for it. Once you stop caring if people are idiotically judgmental, you can get the most out of life.

As for my team, I have it all planned out (but not collected);

-Empoleon
-Roserade
-Houndoom
-Staraptor
-Umbreon
-Gallade

A team that I like and a team that is (mostly) balanced. Win-win.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Forget what people think because most the videogame storekeepers are both ten years older than you and also into the current generation of pokemon.

And most likely, they'll forget about you just like they'll forget about the 20 other college-age students who picked up their pre-order before you.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I've got it and so far it's good. Not sure how to say my final team is planned, but so far this might be it.

Piplup
Beautifly
Togetic (maybe)
Gardevoir
Glaceon
And Either Pikachu or Froslass. It'll be a hard fight but it'll probably be Froslass. If no Togepi, both.

Gonna be a awesome team. I might not have much luck with the battle frontier though with my experiences from emerald. (I couldn't even beat one factory when I played it, ><)

c3gill

Smash Ace
I want this but there are 2 things in my way:

1. Money - I'm broke, so need some. XD

2. Going to the Store - I'm one of those people who secretly like Pokemon and never expose it to others. So due to this, if I go to the store to buy this, I'd feel like a loser.
psh, you just posted in the poke center- LOSER :laugh:

Money is an acceptable reason. And you could always order online, to avoid the store.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I'm loving it so far, I like that the Poketech now has the option to go back and forth, rather than cycling through and having to go through it all again if you missed the App. you were looking for.

Oh yeah, WiFi Plaza is awesome, 100X better than the underground tunnels but uhm...Underground Tunnels are still in this version, right?

Got a Turtwig for my starter, and a Bidoof named HMWhore

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Arg, I hate trying to catch Abra without a Master Ball, or an Action Replay cheat to catch it by having infinite Master Balls. So far, since I'm starting with Dawn, I mind as well get her Pokémon from the anime. =P

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
Platinum is awesome! It's everything I expected so far!

I've got a planned team.

Empoleon
Yanmega
Rotom
Fan version
Roserade
Giratina
Houndoom or Heatran??????

Kinda mixed up on the last Pokemon I want, but it's still a cool team.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
iv got the game and im bout to fight fantina
so far for my team i have a lv30 monferno, lv22 budew (i forgot that it levels up by happiness lol), lv19 hoothoot

unlike diamond, im trying to do everything in platinum. im catching all the pokes i can, battling all the optional trainers, doing all the after e4 stuff, etc.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Does anyone know how exactly the Vs Recorder works? Can it only be used for certain fights, or can you turn it on whenever you want to record a battle?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Only in online/Battle Frontier matches, I believe.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Arg, I hate trying to catch Abra without a Master Ball, or an Action Replay cheat to catch it by having infinite Master Balls. So far, since I'm starting with Dawn, I mind as well get her Pokémon from the anime. =P
Howw to catch an Abra:

Option 1: Use Chimchar's Taunt

Option 2: Start the battle with a great ball

Option 3: Trade a machop for one in Oreburg

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I used Option 3, since it saves me time for using the great ball too early in the game.

jessicakaplan

Smash Rookie
I just walked into Wal-Mart and got the game, lol. I was begging my parents until they finally took me. I got the bonus pack, with the Giratina case and figure of the "little" monster. I love the game more than D/P so far, and the spriting has jumped up a smidge. Although I would much rather have a G/S/C remake, I give this game a good review. :)

urdailywater

Smash Hero
One thing bugs me about Dawns overworld sprite. Whenever I turn around from looking right and left, I see a bag on her arms, so it looks like she's switching which shoulder she's carrying her bag on. Maybe that's something else though, but overall that's it. I like the spriting so far, especially the scarf.

edit: Lol, Pachirisus sprite looks like it just popped out of the anime. ><

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519

Nike.

Smash Hero
That was the most awesome thing I have ever seen :D

Im about to go to walmart to buy my copy. Im so excited at the thought of getting eevee the first time you enter Hearthome.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Half the people on there are idiots.

As well as the creator of that.

Gotta love people who take a stereotype about a certain thing (in this case, a game and its maturity level) and apply it to real life when the stereotype is absolutely moronic. Just because five-year-olds play it doesn't mean it's FOR five-year-olds. People need to learn to stop giving a crap about what society thinks and realize that if something is ENJOYABLE (which doesn't involve mass killing), there's nothing wrong with it.

F*** society.

[/hateonsociety]

UncleSam

Smash Master

Gotta love people who take a stereotype about a certain thing (in this case, a game and its maturity level) and apply it to real life when the stereotype is absolutely moronic. Just because five-year-olds play it doesn't mean it's FOR five-year-olds. People need to learn to stop giving a crap about what society thinks and realize that if something is ENJOYABLE (which doesn't involve mass killing), there's nothing wrong with it.

F*** society.

[/hateonsociety]
Hey I'm not the only one who thinks that...

Darkslash

Smash Master
Pokemon>Sex I thought it was common knowledge...ACTUALLY

Playing Pokemon with a girl can...can't un-see.

Urrg I hate people like that. To be honest its them with the low Maturity level. Its like in my grade(11). They talk about pokemon and don't know **** about the game. Especially with that stupid Facebook fad of tagging your friends with pictures with descriptions.

Like that one.

[/rant]

Puddin

Smash Lord

F*** society.

[/hateonsociety]
I don't know any five year old's smart enough to breed pokemon past "Red + Blue = Baby Pokemon." The best argument in the defense of "Why do you play pokemon, it's for kids" is that it's obviously a lot more in-depth than "Colorful monster fights other colorful monster" with breeding, EVs, IVs, type differences, and the like.

Of course, if you're talking to somebody who already believes that Pokemon is strictly for kids you probably won't change their opinion anyway, unless their open-minded in which case you wouldn't have even started the argument "unless you're explaining to them why Pokemon is a GOOD game, not a game for kids." Plus, the kind of people who think Pokemon is for kids could also believe that if you play Animal Crossing you are a sexual predator.

Still catching the amount of Pokemon needed to trade my team (and unobtainable legendary Pokes) from Diamond to Platinum.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Pokemon>sex I thought everybody knew that.
This is getting put in my Favorite Quotes.

Puddin has it EXACTLY right. Kids simply cannot comprehend all of the depth that Pokemon has to offer, which is why it's clearly NOT just made for kids. I started playing Pokemon when I was younger, and you know what happened? I didn't understand that my Pokemon would be much worse if I didn't train them to their full extent and just used Rare Candies to get them to level 100. So I now have a team full of level 100s who can easily take down the E4, 40 levels below them, but only barely.

While I do not get much into competitive Pokemon (my first tourney is the Mono-Type one), I still get more depth out of playing just the story mode when I'm older.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Puddin has it EXACTLY right. Kids simply cannot comprehend all of the depth that Pokemon has to offer, which is why it's clearly NOT just made for kids. I started playing Pokemon when I was younger, and you know what happened? I didn't understand that my Pokemon would be much worse if I didn't train them to their full extent and just used Rare Candies to get them to level 100. So I now have a team full of level 100s who can easily take down the E4, 40 levels below them, but only barely.
I found Pokemon as a kid difficult. I knew there was more to "Pokemon X knocks out Pokemon Y" All the elemental types, why the pokeball was worse than the Ultra Ball and attacks to use made my head spin. Seriously.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
When I was younger, I didn't believe that raising stats would yeild any significant results, and that it only increased stats by 10%. Maybe.

Yeah, little kids have trouble playing this at it's deepest level. The combat system is pretty rediculously complex.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I picked up on types fairly well, I think -- which is probably why I'm so fluent in typing to this day. But some of the deeper parts of the game you just don't understand/care about when you're younger.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Same here with the types thing, but now I'm actually worse with it since they have these new pokemon.

Most of the 4th generation pokemon I'm not too familiar with their types, and since I usually go by looks mixing up a ghost / dark type pokemon is easy. =/

But used to going by looks i picked up on types easily. The only one that confused me was bug, which I didn't know was super effective on psychic for a long time. Same thing on dark types, which I actually didn't find this out until around last week (bug on dark at least).

Pokemon is still pretty confusing to me ever since I started learning about EV's, but that isn't the main part of my game play anyways since I don't do competitive (yet).

Top Bottom