• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Platinum released!

POKE40

Smash Lord
When I was younger, I didn't believe that raising stats would yeild any significant results, and that it only increased stats by 10%. Maybe.

Yeah, little kids have trouble playing this at it's deepest level. The combat system is pretty rediculously complex.
Yeah...good old days. When you thought it was my lv. 100 Blaziken (no stat ups) all attack moves was the top.

My first team in blue was Mewtwo. Blastoise. at +80 and everyone else under 60
that was how my team structure was like until emerald lol

Puddin

Smash Lord
Same here with the types thing, but now I'm actually worse with it since they have these new pokemon..
I don't like the new type match ups either, I mean it's not difficult to comprehend but things like what type is Super Effective against Dark Type? Or Dragon Type? That doesn't even make sense, those aren't elements. It was a lot simpler when all you had to know were the elements, Fire>Grass>Water>Fire and so on, and then of course they started to mix the new types to confuse you even more.

But like I said, it's not impossible to understand it's just kind of weird deciding what to use on a Dragon type...

But I must admit, I do love me some EV training.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I don't like the new type match ups either, I mean it's not difficult to comprehend but things like what type is Super Effective against Dark Type? Or Dragon Type? That doesn't even make sense, those aren't elements. It was a lot simpler when all you had to know were the elements, Fire>Grass>Water>Fire and so on, and then of course they started to mix the new types to confuse you even more.

But like I said, it's not impossible to understand it's just kind of weird deciding what to use on a Dragon type...

But I must admit, I do love me some EV training.
Dragon type is an old type matchup. From Red and Blue.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Dragons could be cold, blooded so its not hard to think that Ice will kill them. Also until we get the knight type, Dragons will only kill each other..

Also from Dark Pulse description it seems that Darkness is a type of Aura. Since a majority of fighting type moves are based on "Light" Aura so to speak its a simple Light>Dark thing.

My 2 cents. Also match up pokech match up app helps if you're in trouble.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Someone should make a chart that explains why all the type matchups are the way they are.

"bug is super effective against psychic because psychics hate bugs"

"ghost wasn't evil enough (in spite of them universally sucking away your soul) so dark type was dragged from the pits of hell to beat it. But fighting type beats it because ninjas aren't afraid of the dark.

Mewter

Smash Master
"ghost wasn't evil enough (in spite of them universally sucking away your soul) so dark type was dragged from the pits of hell to beat it. But fighting type beats it because ninjas aren't afraid of the dark.
This is quoteworthy.:laugh: That's awesome.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Someone should make a chart that explains why all the type matchups are the way they are.

"bug is super effective against psychic because psychics hate bugs"

Some of them make sense in a philosophical kind of way, Psychic is strong against Fighting, Mind over Matter sound familiar to anyone? Others are just common sense, of course Fire is strong against Grass.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
Eh, went to Best Buy the day it came out but I couldn't get it since i'm grounded (grades dropped after stagecrew was finished). It was so tempting.

Worst part is that my parents belive that a teenage girl shouldn't be playing a "little boy's" game, depsite the fact I try to talk them out of it. Seriously, it's not a kid's game, they can't grasp the idea of it well. I remember my first game was Yellow Version, never beat the E4 because my team was horrible. And, video games shouldn't be sexist, in my opinion.

But, at least I managed to get a Shaymin/lvl 100 Regigigas on Pearl before my parents stole my DS. In high hopes I get my DS back soon, I really want to get Platinum.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
And then there's psychic is strong against poison.
Uhhh...I vote something about telepathy here? Poison can't hurt ya if it can't touch ya. :)

That's really lame...but it's the best I got. My other idea has something to do with the fact that an Apothecary/Alchemist acts like he's magic, while a Psychic really is magic. Which...is also a stupid idea. :\ Maybe someone can word it better?

EDIT: W00T 100th post! Hurrah! :D

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Uhhh...I vote something about telepathy here? Poison can't hurt ya if it can't touch ya. :)

That's really lame...but it's the best I got. My other idea has something to do with the fact that an Apothecary/Alchemist acts like he's magic, while a Psychic really is magic. Which...is also a stupid idea. :\ Maybe someone can word it better?

EDIT: W00T 100th post! Hurrah! :D
I'm not going to be serious about type reasoning, but guessing for the sake of randomness is fun.

Psychic is super effective against poison because it makes them poison themselves. And the more psychics say "stop hitting yourself!" the more fighting types wish they weren't so good at beating things up.

Niiro

Smash Ace
I hate playing pokemon now. i'm such a perfectionist that i'm trying to ev while continuing the story. homo.

Samochan

Smash Master
Worst part is that my parents belive that a teenage girl shouldn't be playing a "little boy's" game, depsite the fact I try to talk them out of it. Seriously, it's not a kid's game, they can't grasp the idea of it well. I remember my first game was Yellow Version, never beat the E4 because my team was horrible. And, video games shouldn't be sexist, in my opinion.
As an RPG game which is one of the few genres girls like to play more often, it really shouldn't be categorised as male game. You can pick your gender, you can catch overly cute pokemons and the training and battling is not graphical enough to be violent and shy away girl gamers, nor the games too complicated or demanding in button presses or finger motorics. Pokemon has been marketed towards younger audience and the anime and other toys and such boost this imago, but nothing should prevent a person from enjoying a good game that's not harmful in any way. Your parents should be happy you're not into those mature rated games instead of abomishing your game choice, pokemon is a really long lasting and fun game and shouldn't be denied from anyone. :/ Besides, when the supposedly "girly" games consist of wii sport, animal crossing and barbie games and most are few and far between, I think boardening one's selection is neccesary lest you get bored.

Someone once said that "when one quits something they enjoy doing but consider childish, that itself is being childish".

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I got Platinum the day it was released. Got 7 badges so far due to training and trying to catch every wild pokemon I can find.

Unable to trade since I don't know anyone with a pokemon game...So I can't evolve my Porygon! ...and Porygon-Z is one of my favorite pokemon.

c3gill

Smash Ace
w00t perfect Scyther and Larvitar :) got 2 of my Platinum team already!

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm at Hearthome, trying to get my Budew to evolve (ugh, it's already level 23...stupid happiness evolution, I'm going to have to invest in some move-relearning)...after I do that, I'll probably work on evolving my Eevee into Umbreon, as, given my current team of

-Prinplup
-Budew
-Eevee
-Staravia
-Kirlia

, I don't really have anyone to tackle Fantina. Actually, wait...I just looked it up and at level 29, Eevee learns Bite whilst Umbreon learns Confuse Ray. >_> Maybe I should hold off on evolving it.

Thanks to having a busy week, I've barely been able to play. Hopefully this weekend I can catch up some, but if people are already at the 7th gym everyone will probably be at the Battle Frontier before I can even reach Spear Pillar.

Also, this thread still says "Planitum" and it's still annoying me.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Wow, Chatot has a catch rate of 30? No wonder he was hard to catch. He'd make a good addition to my team with her awesome sprite in platinum. The eyes squinting makes chatot look like it should've looked from the start.

If you have kirilia btw, use double team + calm mind combo on fatina. Just a tip. Use it on her duskull which can't really do much damage to you then take out the rest of the team. (max out both). I did that and it worked swell. It has to be about level 27 though.

I'm moving slow but I want to complete this team. I don't really play the game that much. just spent 12 hours on it so far though, so maybe that is a lot for only 3 badges ><

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
So far, most Pokemon I'm going to use in a tourney is, (including legendary), are caught in a Cherish Ball because that ball is pimped out. So far I'm about to get Shaymin and he's going to be in my Uber team as well, (the Sky form of course). Also, I'm working on a non Uber team as well that's going to get caught by the Cherish Ball. =D

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If you have kirilia btw, use double team + calm mind combo on fatina. Just a tip. Use it on her duskull which can't really do much damage to you then take out the rest of the team. (max out both). I did that and it worked swell. It has to be about level 27 though.
Hm, that's a possibility. I'll keep it in mind, thanks. =D

I'm moving slow but I want to complete this team. I don't really play the game that much. just spent 12 hours on it so far though, so maybe that is a lot for only 3 badges ><
I think I have about eleven hours so sounds about right to me. Although I think a fair portion of that was multitasking and forgetting about the game temporarily.

Fixed.

I ish a poke'nerd. :3
It is a Daytime Happiness evolution, but the problem was that the Budew took forEVER to actually like me, not that it was in the daytime.
I think I can change the time anyways so it's not a big deal. =P But I've spent a LOT of time just walking around, giving it poffins, doing a contest, all while it holds a Soothe Bell and earlier today when I had a short amount of free time I finally got it up to 2 large hearts...shortly after which my battery died. Fortunately I hadn't played for that long, but it's still annoying.

Samochan

Smash Master
It is a Daytime Happiness evolution, but the problem was that the Budew took forEVER to actually like me, not that it was in the daytime.
I think I can change the time anyways so it's not a big deal. =P But I've spent a LOT of time just walking around, giving it poffins, doing a contest, all while it holds a Soothe Bell and earlier today when I had a short amount of free time I finally got it up to 2 large hearts...shortly after which my battery died. Fortunately I hadn't played for that long, but it's still annoying.
Hm, I don't think poffins nor contests increase happiness, at least serebii or psypoke makes no mention of them. Anyways, here are the tools for increasing happiness from psypoke:

- Walk 256 steps with the Pokemon in your active Party. (+1 for all happiness values)
- Give the Pokemon Vitamins [HP Up, Carbos, Iron, Protein, Calcium, Zinc, PP Up] (+5 0-99, +3 100-199, +2 200-254)
- Usage in Important Battle [Gym Leaders, Elites, Champion] (+3 0-99, +2 100-199, +1 200-254)
- Level Up the Pokemon (+5 0-99, +3 100-199, +2 200-254 per level)

Giving your Pokemon a Soothe Bell will increase the rate at which their happiness rises by 50%, and Pokemon caught with a Luxury Ball will get double the regular points when you level-up, walk, or use them in an important battle.

Also on GSC at least, giving it fresh water, soda pop or lemonade increases happiness.

A good method would be ev training that budew, you'd get in load of steps with soothe bell and some level up happiness as well, of course first giving it all your calcium and carbos you can get while making that budew a strong pokemon at the same time. Magikarps give 1 effort point to speed and can be fished from anywhere, then Old Chateau is littered with Gastly, giving 1 special attack ev each.

Decreasing Happiness:
- The Pokemon faints in battle. (-1 for all happiness values)
- Use of Energypowder (-5 for values 0-199, -10 for values 200-249)
- Use of Heal Powder (-5 for values 0-199, -10 for values 200-249)
- Use of Energy Root (-10 for values 0-199, -15 for values 200-249)
- Use of Revival Herb (-15 for values 0-199, -20 for values 200-249)
- As mentioned before, trading your Pokemon will reset its happiness to its base value, so be warned.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hm, I don't think poffins nor contests increase happiness, at least serebii or psypoke makes no mention of them.
Well, I was looking at this FAQ (which looks fairly reliable). Contests are supposed to raise happiness, and so are Poffins, as long as your Pokemon likes them.
Of course, my Budew likes everything the same, so the one I gave it was just to give me a boost for the contest. Even if I didn't get happiness, I got a ribbon, so eh, I'm happy.

The problem is that the best methods for raising happiness -- like giving it vitamins, giving it a massage, giving it lemonade/water/soda -- all require me to be at Veilstone. And of course, I can't get there until I beat Fantina. Really, everything I want right now is in Veilstone...the last Pokemon I'm putting on my team -- Houndour(/Houndoom) -- is found in two routes south of Veilstone, too. So yeah.

Thanks for the advice, though my Budew is really close to the evolving point. Once I finish what I need to get done I'll get back on Platinum and evolve it.

Wow has anyone noticed that "Platinum" is spelled "Planitum" in this thread's title? *fixes*
Now, come on, Jppuff.

That thread is for Pokemon Platinum. This thread is for Pokemon Planitum.
Also, this thread still says "Planitum" and it's still annoying me.
Yes, I did! Thank you very much, that was really bugging me. =D

(Also interesting to note, in the body of the thread it spells Platinum right ONCE, and misspells it as "Plantium" thrice. >_>)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
**** it, double post. Sorry.

Darkslash

Smash Master
it's all right,
I'm trying to catch Mesprit right now, anybody know where the Griseous Orb is, I know it's in the Distortion world somewhere I just can't get back...
Its actuallly in the Wayward cave if I remember. You go were you got Giratina in D/P and the Platinum orb aka the Griseous orb, should be there.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If I recall correctly, you need to beat the E4 or get the National Dex (one of the two, I can't remember which) to be able to find the Griseous Orb in the Distortion World.

Its actuallly in the Wayward cave if I remember. You go were you got Giratina in D/P and the Platinum orb aka the Griseous orb, should be there.
You mean Turnback Cave. Wayward is under Cycling Road, where Gible is (which, by the way, no longer needs Strength, apparently).

And I thought there was another portal to the Distortion World in there where Giratina was?

UncleSam

Smash Master
If I recall correctly, you need to beat the E4 or get the National Dex (one of the two, I can't remember which) to be able to find the Griseous Orb in the Distortion World.
I think it's E4 which I've already done, I'm in turnback Cave right now
And I thought there was another portal to the Distortion World in there where Giratina was?
looking...

Darkslash

Smash Master

You mean Turnback Cave. Wayward is under Cycling Road, where Gible is (which, by the way, no longer needs Strength, apparently).

yea Turnback...so far from what I played from Platinum I couldn't find another way into the Distortion world.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, I just looked it up and Turnback Cave holds a portal to another part of the Distortion World which holds the Griseous Orb.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
How do you even say griseous...?

Anyway, I need to re-arrange my team since I am actually having no luck beating the Elite Four. I get to Cynthia and then loose, so I'm either going to get me a Garchomp, or trade over something like my Latias from Pearl. Which one should be better...? It's funny how some people are already past me when I had this in September...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I tried some of the new transformations, (Rotom, Giratina, and Shaymin), on Pokémon Battle Revolution, they just reformed them back to there orignal form and if the item is only found in Platinum, they won't show it. D=

I guess they have to make a new Pokémon 3D game if they want to show the new transformations.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Argh, stop being at the E4 already. =(

I bought Platinum on release date because I realized I didn't want to be way behind everyone and I'm stilll way behind.

UncleSam

Smash Master
found the Griseous Orb, I'm a very happy person, now for Rotom transformations? I got Mesprit, Uxie, Azelf, Diagla, Palkia... I can't get heatran yet so I'm going to try out the Rotom transformations now...

Samochan

Smash Master
How do you even say griseous...?

Anyway, I need to re-arrange my team since I am actually having no luck beating the Elite Four. I get to Cynthia and then loose, so I'm either going to get me a Garchomp, or trade over something like my Latias from Pearl. Which one should be better...? It's funny how some people are already past me when I had this in September...
Just teach your water pokemon an ice attack, I used my gyarados on diamond with ice fang. Just dd enough against her other pokes, then maul them all. =)

Top Bottom