• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver (It's here :3!!!!)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I was about to throw the DS against the wall last night playing that cursed Voltorb Flip game.
But I bought a Dratini so it's all cool.

Was worth it.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I was about to throw the DS against the wall last night playing that cursed Voltorb Flip game.
But I bought a Dratini so it's all cool.

Was worth it.
Psh, I can get a Dratini from that game in like 15 minutes. No joke. Once you figure out the mechanics the only issue you should ever have is a simple bad stroke of luck. Granted, you get those quite often when you play for three or four straight hours, but it's not anything to rage over.

I take back anything I said about another Pokemon's sprite, because it's now official to me. Jynx has the worst sprite in the game.

EDIT: Oh hey, people are discussing shinies. I've only had two shinies ever (bar Gyara), and they were both when I was training something. First was a Gloom, which I got when I was training Typhlosion, and the other was a Bidoof when I was EV training...something. And they were both on the same file of Diamond. I got the Pokerus once as well, on a Platinum file when I was EV training a Gastly.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Just wondering, is it possible to get a non-shiny gyarados from the rage lake? Like the low % to encounter a shiny, does that exist for him/her to be normal.
I'm pretty sure it's always shiny.

It would kind of suck if it weren't shiny anyways, considering that you can catch normal Gyarados at the Lake of Rage and having a Gyarados that SHOULD be shiny but isn't would just show up as a regularly caught one unless you got video of it.

As far as shinies go:

I got a shiny Sneasel in my Gold by Mt. Silver before I accidentally deleted my file, and I ran into a shiny Bellsprout in LeafGreen which is now a level 100 shiny Victreebel, fully EV trained.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Once you figure out the mechanics the only issue you should ever have is a simple bad stroke of luck.
Any tips? I check the sides and try and work out what rows have less of a chance, but I always explode :/

I got a shiny grimer on my crystal version on the Kanto bike path, and a shiny Tentacruel I traded off a friend :p

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
OMFG, after breeding for like 7 hours, I finally got a decent female adamant Dratini. Her offspring will be my best DDNite!

There goes all my Heart Gold Money....

Majority

Smash Journeyman
I got a shiny Raticate in Silver over by the Miltank farm, a shiny Marill in the pond next to the Winstrate family's house in Ruby, and a shiny Onix at the very end of Victory Road in LeafGreen. Shiny Steelix is pretty awesome.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Nice nickname, UltiMario. How many soft resets did that take you?

-Terywj
87XX

Too lazy to count accurately.

I also decided that it was too bothersome to ever count my resets ever, ever, EVER again.

So I'm on ??? resets for my shiny starter.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Any tips? I check the sides and try and work out what rows have less of a chance, but I always explode :/
I don't know any tips exactly. I kind of just learned as I go. Although I guess I might have one. If you add up the numbers on the side for the number-Voltorb ratio and it comes up as 5 (such as 4-1 or 3-2), then don't touch that row/column at all. In fact, mark all those spaces with a Voltorb to remind yourself to never touch it. Reason being is that you can only get a 1 or Voltorb in those spots anyway, so it's not even worth trying. You can also do this as you uncover other spots. For instance, if the side says 6-1 and you draw up a three in that column, you can mark the rest of the column with Voltorbs because you've already found the only spot with a number higher than 1 in that column. A way to tell if it contains anymore numbers higher than one is to just take the added up number-Voltorb ratio, subtract the number you've found, and see if it adds up to the amount of spaces you have left in the row/column. If it does, then you're done and can move on to another. If not, then you can keep on going.

Messing with the odds of finding a 2 as opposed to a 3 in specific rows/columns can help as well, although to explain that in full is beyond me. I don't even know if what I said above made sense.

Oh yeah, and the ones with 0 Voltorbs are obviously always safe, so you can just get them out of the way right off. But that's obvious and you probably already do that, so I saw little point in saying it.

I hope that helps? I'm not very good at explaining things like this. :\ It's not nearly as hard or as complicated as it sounds though. It's really just a bunch of simple math.

EDIT: Taking on Jasmine with a team of nothing but a team of 25s to 33s is not easy. Especially when the only thing that can do a serious amount of damage to the Steelix is OHKO'd by it.

LeviNifty

Smash Ace
I didn't know getting shiny could get so technical, when i got my first one I thought it was a glitich :laugh:

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I recently caught a shiny golbat in platinum. I'm not sure if I should evolve it yet though.

So I'll ask you guys. Shiny golbat or shiny crobat?

LeviNifty

Smash Ace
shiny crobat is light pink =p so it works if you have a female really

but golbat is dark green which looks very cool

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I always thought shiny crobat was cool <.<... never got one though. I miss my shiny noctowl from Silver... I got it when ash got his. It also makes me wish noctowl was better.
On another note, we can get extremespeed dratini now O.o? It's a shame how much salamence outclasses him, but it seems Dragonite can be a support/cleric/Anti-lead. I'm not so sure how well they work, though, but man... I love Dragonite =/. Oh and the Bulky DDnite...

LeviNifty

Smash Ace
Always loved dragonite from the red/blue series :)

My Shiny Ponyta/Rapidash looked great with its blue flames :bee:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Shiny Steelix is super awesome.
Fixed.

I don't know any tips exactly. I kind of just learned as I go. Although I guess I might have one. If you add up the numbers on the side for the number-Voltorb ratio and it comes up as 5 (such as 4-1 or 3-2), then don't touch that row/column at all. In fact, mark all those spaces with a Voltorb to remind yourself to never touch it. Reason being is that you can only get a 1 or Voltorb in those spots anyway, so it's not even worth trying. You can also do this as you uncover other spots. For instance, if the side says 6-1 and you draw up a three in that column, you can mark the rest of the column with Voltorbs because you've already found the only spot with a number higher than 1 in that column. A way to tell if it contains anymore numbers higher than one is to just take the added up number-Voltorb ratio, subtract the number you've found, and see if it adds up to the amount of spaces you have left in the row/column. If it does, then you're done and can move on to another. If not, then you can keep on going.

Messing with the odds of finding a 2 as opposed to a 3 in specific rows/columns can help as well, although to explain that in full is beyond me. I don't even know if what I said above made sense.

Oh yeah, and the ones with 0 Voltorbs are obviously always safe, so you can just get them out of the way right off. But that's obvious and you probably already do that, so I saw little point in saying it.

I hope that helps? I'm not very good at explaining things like this. :\ It's not nearly as hard or as complicated as it sounds though. It's really just a bunch of simple math.
Makes sense and it's what I've been doing, but I've just been having bad luck when it comes to finding the less obvious 2/3's :c

Lol they didn't have shinys in red and blue silly.
Actually they did, just you couldn't tell until you traded them over to gold/silver/crystal.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
The voltorb thing helped me, I made it real far. Sad thing is I need none of the prizes, it's just fun. ExtremeSpeed Dratini though... can't wait!! <_< >_>

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Makes sense and it's what I've been doing, but I've just been having bad luck when it comes to finding the less obvious 2/3's :c
Haha, that's not as bad as me when I once made it to Lv. 7 and misinterpreted a 0-5 row for a 5-0 row right at the beginning. It wasn't even luck that got me. It was complete stupidity. ;-;

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I sure hope they have Slot Machines in Celadon or wherever the other Game Corner is.

The slot machine game in JP HGSS was BEASTLY FUN compared to the other ones at least.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
More voltorb flip is all you get.
BS.

The first time they ever make slot machines FUN they F it up and don't put it in america.

Why the heck did they switch it to the Voltorb Flip anyways? Is there a series of lawsuits (That honestly aren't legal to to even prosecute against, anyways) against Nintendo for Pokemon Slot machines that I'm unaware of?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
BS.

The first time they ever make slot machines FUN they F it up and don't put it in america.

Why the heck did they switch it to the Voltorb Flip anyways? Is there a series of lawsuits (That honestly aren't legal to to even prosecute against, anyways) against Nintendo for Pokemon Slot machines that I'm unaware of?
I think I read somewhere before that they were being criticized for the use of gambling within the game as a method to acquire items. Giving kids bad ideas or some bull**** like that. That's quite possibly the stupidest criticism I've ever heard about Pokemon; even worse than Christians thinking it promoted Satanism.

For the record, I'm just a firm believer in people keeping their religions to themselves. I don't have anything against Christianity.

jokey665

Smash Ace
I remember reading something about Nintendo being forced to remove the slots for European distribution; they might have just decided to change it for America, as well.

Mewter

Smash Master
Good job, world.
Ruin people's fun by removing a feature from a game the one time they get it right.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
I've had three shiny encounters: one in Pearl and two in Platinum.

The one in Pearl was a shiny Geodude up between Celestic and Mt. Coronet which I was able to capture.

The second (first one in Plat) was the hardest, but most rewarding. It happened while paired with Buck in Stark Mountain. We came across a shiny Magcargo (I don't remember what it was paired with) and my first thought was kill my Buck's Claydol. The only thing that really worried me was the fact that the Claydol might kill the Magcargo before it died. Luckily everything worked out in my favor.

The last one was the most disappointing. I found a shiny Lickitung on the route between Solaceon and Veilstone. Unfortunately, I pp stalled it as it kept breaking out of every ball I threw at it. Since then, in both Pearl and Platinum, I always carry a Breloom I made for capturing things in my party just in case.

Hopefully I don't meet a shiny in HG before I am prepared to capture it (I'd hate to go through a repeat of what happened to Lickitung)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I remember reading something about Nintendo being forced to remove the slots for European distribution; they might have just decided to change it for America, as well.
Thats because all the countries in Europe outlaw gambling.

In the US, gambling is done by state, which not all of have outlawed obviously.

I say someone should start a petition, post it on every Pokemon Forum they can think of, and get X Thousand supporters and send the petition into Nintendo to make then give Slot machines back.

Also....
Religion ruins everything and super-religious people that despise gambling ruin the fun for everyone else. I don't think Gambling bothers ANYONE but people like them.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I have so many shinies now I've lost count. The're aren't really hard to get anymore so I've got plenty.

I just made it to the part where you return to goldenrod. That was a cool moment, it's too bad it doesn't last long.

LeviNifty

Smash Ace
The one in Pearl was a shiny Geodude up between Celestic and Mt. Coronet which I was able to capture.
Thats where I found my shiny geodude :laugh: cept I didn't catch it cause a critial hit tackle took it out =p

Kintenbo

Smash Cadet
I think I read somewhere before that they were being criticized for the use of gambling within the game as a method to acquire items. Giving kids bad ideas or some bull**** like that. That's quite possibly the stupidest criticism I've ever heard about Pokemon; even worse than Christians thinking it promoted Satanism.

For the record, I'm just a firm believer in people keeping their religions to themselves. I don't have anything against Christianity.
There's also the controversy with Jynx and it being "blackface".

All in all, blame political correctness. (by the way, I'm a pretty serious Christian lad, and I'm rather indifferent towards gambling)

Anyways, has anybody else have issues with constantly getting hit by critical hits. I constantly get hit by them twice in a row.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
There's also the controversy with Jynx and it being "blackface".

All in all, blame political correctness. (by the way, I'm a pretty serious Christian lad, and I'm rather indifferent towards gambling)

Anyways, has anybody else have issues with constantly getting hit by critical hits. I constantly get hit by them twice in a row.
Nonono. I was stating the Christian part because of me stating my distaste toward their belief that Pokemon was promoting Satanism. Not gambling. :laugh:

Kintenbo

Smash Cadet
Now, to get back to subject, does anybody know if the evolution stones will finally be purchase in this game? My main and perhaps only problem with the original Gold and Silver games was the lack of evolution stones to go around.

LeviNifty

Smash Ace
Hopefully its not something like go underground and get the stones >< hated that.

Also when do you get eevee on hg/ss?

Top Bottom