• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokéswapping (Wi-Fi Trading Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Probably not lol.

I guess if you have a passive damage team and you're expecting a lot of your opponents team to have low health.

But it's really too hard to predict; surf is almost always better.
Brine is so situational that Surf is usually the best best anyway. Agreed.

SCRW^

Smash Rookie
Can someone explain to me how a stat increasing move works;
for example an adamant fully Iv'd garchomp uses swords dance, what would the attack increase be

WouW

Smash Lord
Swords Dance boosts attack by two stages, so as can be seen in the chart below, Garchomp's attack will be doubled.

-6 = 25%
-5 = 28%
-4 = 33%
-3 = 40%
-2 = 50%
-1 = 66%
0 (normal) = 100%
1 = 150%
2 = 200%
3 = 250%
4 = 300%
5 = 350%
6 = 400%

So after one swords dance Garchomp's 394 attack will be raised to 788.

SCRW^

Smash Rookie
Is that both the DS and that smogon thing a lot of the people on here use

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Last night, I make a SS team from scratch in about 5 minutes. It was decent, but, as someone from another forum put it,
pikpikcarrotmon said:
hi, my name is gyarados.
I'm trying to improve it.

So, which Pokemon fit the best in a SS team?

All of the Pokemon on my team are OU. Should I consider the likes of Cacturne and Kabutops, for example?

Which Pokemon who do not resist SS do well on SS teams? I've got a LeadApe and a Breloom.

Should I use Tyranitar or Hippowdon as my lead to set up an early SS?

peregrine monkey

Smash Apprentice
How is critical hit rate calculated? If I have a Scope Lens Super Luck Absol using Night Slash, what is the probability of getting a crit? What's the probability of getting a crit with no modifiers?

WouW

Smash Lord
Critical hit chance is divided into stages.

0 - 6.25% (meaning that without modifiers you have 6,25% chance to crit)
1 - 12,5%
2 - 25%
3 - 33,3%
4 - 50%

High crit moves are stage one, and Scope Lens boosts that by one. Super Luck actually doubles this value, so (1+1)*2=stage 4, so a Super Luck Scope Lens Absol has 50% chance of critting with Night Slash.

Other moves/items:

Lansat Berry increases crit stage by 1.
Focus Energy increases crit stage by 2.
Stick and Lucky Punch increase crit stage by two.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Searching for "shoddy" and "IV" didn't really work, since IV is too short.

Why won't Shoddy let me give Naive Heatran 31 SpA IV's? The "IVs" at the top of the column is red, and I have to lower it to 30 for it to be black.

On a somewhat related note, should I give Scarf Heatran HP Grass or Dragon Pulse on a SS team?

EDIT: IV's affect natures? Grr.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Legendaries have like a pid ****, so only certain combinations of natures and Ivs will work. And for the second part, just think about what your team has more trouble with swampert or dragons

c3gill

Smash Ace
Legendaries have like a pid ****, so only certain combinations of natures and Ivs will work. And for the second part, just think about what your team has more trouble with swampert or dragons
That, or ..............

the IVs you are using dont work for the HP you are using.

EDIT- pick one, either change your IVs, or change your HP (or drop it)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Does roar get the coming in opponent hit by stealth rock? ...Because if nothing can outspeed by aerodactyl opponents are going to be annoyed to death about him keeping on roaring...

...assuming they don't have extreme speed or that ice move

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
There are good Pokemon MMOs? I just assume all fan-made spin-off MMOs are bad.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
An old strategy that was quite effective with the appropriate setup was using a Drapion with Rest/Sleep Talk/Roar/Whirlwind in the old UU metagame. When a move picks another move (Sleep Talk, Metronome, etc), priority modifiers are ignored, so you try working off of that.

c3gill

Smash Ace
i am short a Nidoran (female) of a complete LEGAL pokedex- if anyone has one of these laying around, im sick of pokeradar. PM me your wishes, and see if we cant work something out :)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
DO those berry's that take away from the base stats ONLY take away EV's...

Because I messed up with my Lucario's EV training, but can't remember by how much I messed up

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I'm trying to decide between a traditional OU team or a cheap one.

A cheap OU team for me would have a Bronzong lead, Breloom, Garchomp, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, and Clefable, swapping out Garchomp for something else depending on the ruleset. Bronzong would be straight-out attack with Explosion as a finisher, Garchomp would have a yache berry and sword dance, Breloom would be breloom, Hippowdon for sandstorm support and a physical wall, and Abomasnow with choice scarf or something similar, used primarily to make my stall strategy with Clefable more effective (fewer ice types than mineral pokemon).

A standard OU team would probably have Metagross, Swampert, Salamence, Infernape, Azelf, and Mamoswine all doing what they're known for (or something similar).

Which of these two types of teams is generally more effective, and will win more matches?

SpelignFial

Smash Apprentice
Where spelling doesn't count for anything.
Is there any point in training pokemon until level 100 because i thought EVs stopped after a while?

Also belly drum what is the stat increase on that?

One last question extreemespeed is it faster or slower than quick attack or does it depend or the pokes speed?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Is there any point in training pokemon until level 100 because i thought EVs stopped after a while?

Also belly drum what is the stat increase on that?

One last question extreemespeed is it faster or slower than quick attack or does it depend or the pokes speed?
EVs max out at 510, but the distribution that is gained from EVs is split up so that your Pokemon won't achieve its maximum increase in the EV'd stats until lvl 100.

Belly Drum's increase is an increase of 4x on your ATK stat, which is the maximum amount that you can increase a stat.

It carries the same priority as quick attack. It's just twice as powerful. Thus, it will depend on the Pokemon's speed if one is using quick attack and the other is using extremespeed.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Shoddy isn't letting me give my cleffa the endeavor attack. It is an old version though. Anyone know how to fix my shoddy?

EDIT: nevermind, I learned from Shoddy that I just have to make a new team.

You just have to test them out and see for yourself.
I tried both my experimental teams out. The cheap team is somewhat slow, and doesn't have any first strike moves, so I found myself sacrificing Abomasnow to fighting type attacks so that I could use hail. I have only done two matches so far, but it seems like it is a very consistent team; it doesn't really require much prediction, and I knew I would win pretty far in advanced. The downside is I have to rely on weather to knock out a foe using a 1 HP strategy, which landed Abomasnow straight into a reversal while defeating the opposing Lucario.

The other team does not have any problems covering the type matchups, but it also doesn't seem quite as good; it requires a much greater ability to predict your opponent, and thus I can't quite use it consistently enough.

I still need to test my cheap team more though, as I need to make sure I didn't just luck out. But there doesn't appear to be much luck involved in using it, so I kind of like it right now.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
My lead Skarmory got destroyed by a Scarf Linoone with Trick, Belly Drum, and ExtremeSpeed.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
My lead Skarmory got destroyed by a Scarf Linoone with Trick, Belly Drum, and ExtremeSpeed.
That's too bad.

Is there a question in there?

I was noticing a lot of toxic spike using pokemon, and I was wondering why no one uses Nidoking or Nidoqueen.

They look powerful, they learn toxic spikes, and I've seen them used well without the attack. Is there something that makes them hard to use?

Niiro

Smash Ace
I was noticing a lot of toxic spike using pokemon, and I was wondering why no one uses Nidoking or Nidoqueen.

They look powerful, they learn toxic spikes, and I've seen them used well without the attack. Is there something that makes them hard to use?
Key words: LOOK, not are. All of their stats are pretty unremarkable. And that they are basically a waste of a team slot. Tentacruel and pokes like him would be much better. I quit OU so iono many of the threats atm.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Key words: LOOK, not are. All of their stats are pretty unremarkable. And that they are basically a waste of a team slot. Tentacruel and pokes like him would be much better. I quit OU so iono many of the threats atm.
Primary threats:

strong focus on physical attack/physical defence

Lots of stealth rock, spikes, and toxic spikes

Nearly half the pokemon are immune to sandstorm, although I would say one in eight or fewer teams actually use sandstorm. Lot's of steel types, and about two sandstorm immunities per team.

Substitution, choice items, trick, and stat increasing moves are popular. baton bass somewhat popular, U-turn more common than baton pass, status inflicting moves, reflect, and lightscreen are all somewhat rare. Status inflicting moves have mostly been replaced with toxic spikes, but sleep moves are fairly common.

Note: all these stats are anecdotal.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
WHat's a good example of a rain team?
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/rain_offense

Although I disagree with him in that I prefer using rain dish Ludicolo over swift swim Ludicolo, and use it defencively.

When exactly did Rotom become a UU pokemon?

And where can I find the UU pokemon list?

For some reason it bothers me to see some of my favorite and most useful pokemon in the OU environment turn out to actually be UU.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Umm in platnium it says Oak is in eternia city after natinal dex, and you talk to him to make one of the ledgendary birds active. WELL I LOOKED ALL OVER THE FREAKING TOWN, and I can't find him. am I missing something?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Umm in platnium it says Oak is in eternia city after natinal dex, and you talk to him to make one of the ledgendary birds active. WELL I LOOKED ALL OVER THE FREAKING TOWN, and I can't find him. am I missing something?
So you do have the national pokedex and got it from Oak in Birch/ Elm whatever tree that one guy is named after's lab, right?

In Eterna City, he's in the building in the very South of town to the left.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Is anyone else having problems logging into the Global Trade Station?

Since like February, everytime I try to connect, it just stays on the "Now connecting to the NWC..." screen for like 20 minutes, and I end up having to turn the game off. Just wondering if it's a problem with Nintendo or my connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom