• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Black and White (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I would love if 5th Gen focused entirely on new Pokemon, then 6th could focus on expanding the families of the singular Pokemon from the past generations, particularly 1-4. Literally no new Pokemon families in Gen 6, just expanding on the old ones. Give us either a new region or combine them all for Gen 6. Then with Gen 7, make new Pokemon again.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Game Freak has no other direction to go other than to focus on making new Pokemon. They've been able to cover the majority of Pokmeon that needed evos/pre-evos, in both gen 2 and 4. Just look at THIS thread and look at the OP.

If you looked at that chart, you can clearly see that Game Freak really doesn't have a lot of Pokemon choices left, because half of the Pokemon on that chart don't even need evos/pre-evos in the first place.

I don't even know why we're even discussing this. It's very obvious that this is going to be a generation focused on new Pokemon and not improving on the old ones.
This isn't necessarily what I thought we were discussing, I was just discussing trends. For what purpose? Is beyond me. I'm just simply stating that each generation had a primary focus.

Generation 1 - The beginning of Pokemon. The origin.
Generation 2 - Introducing that Pokemon are breedable. Introduction of baby Pokemon (pre-evolutions) and that the older Pokemon (originals) will be upgraded as time goes on as well. Another state of matter to back up the whole introduction of evolution is not only older Pokemon evolving into new ones, but that types will be introduced, too. The best example of this is Umbreon because of the older Pokemon Eevee evolving into a "new" Pokemon (at the time), and that new Pokemon being a completely new type and the method of evolution is unique and different, too. Also introduced new moves to the Pokemon world. Generation two informed us of a lot.
Generation 3 - Introduces multitype Pokemon. Which over the course of time, will alter the previous Pokemon's types as well. Such as Magcargo being Rock/Fire, and Mudkip being Water/Ground. (Anyone disagreeing with this and saying that Pokemon were always multi-typed, can go back to Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow (also note that these, the originals, were Primary colors before we got onto gems and birthstones - off topic but it's another trend) notice that Charizard was only a "Fire" type and is now a Fire/Flying type as defined by the game. Trend and alter as well. Same goes for Tentacruel being water originally and now being Water/Poison. Just a few examples.
Generation 4 - Haven't discovered this quite yet, but I'm working on it...
Generation 5 - To be discovered. Trends are useful for this in the early state of this game.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
sjdFLKJHADSGADSFGASDGF
It was Generation 3 that REALLY emphasized it, though is what I'm getting at. I know Generation 2 released it obviously, but Generation 3 emphasized it the most.

But Generation one didn't have that (multi-types) at all.

Edit for lulz - I LOVE what quoting you turned out to be xD

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Unless they changed some of the pokemon drastically later in the series Gen 1 did have multi-types.

T-block

B2B TST
Er....yeah dual-types have been around since the beginning lol.

There were no pure ghost pokemon back in RBY. Gastly, Haunter, Gengar were all part poison. There's also never been a pure flying pokemon...

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Gen 1 had that as well unless they were changed drastically later in the series...

Gyarados, Butterfree, Scyther, the Beedrill family, Poliwhirl and Poliwrath, the Zubat family, just to name a few off the top of my head.
No, they didn't. That's why his quote is messed up above my previous post, because he tried to prove me wrong by posting a link to Serebii, then realized after he posted it that he was wrong and edited his post quickly xD

Nice try though ;)

Mewter

Smash Master
It has been around since generation one.
For example: http://www.upokecenter.com/dex/?version=yellow

This Pokedex hasn't been updated since generation one. You can see that by looking at Magneton's pokedex entry, where Steel isn't listed as a type.
Charizard is still Fire/Flying though.

I wasn't wrong. I just linked to the wrong site, since they updated their Pokedex.
I can screenshot my Pokemon Stadium game if you want.

CASE CLOSED :p

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Miami, maybe gen 4 has been the transition into wifi. Pokemon has been made easier to obtain (somewhat) by the introduction of wifi trading. No longer must you have a friend with a game link cable. Now all you need is the internet and something to trade for.

The only problem with this system is the abusing of it. People put up outrageous trades. Mew for a Dewgong? No thanks. Id rather go to the seafoam islands and catch it myself

Hopefully B/W will finally fix this issue. Itll make my life much more easier

EDIT: man, I got ninjad by 5 people... my phone writes too slow

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Pichu, Togepi, Azumarill, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, uhhhh... That's all that I can think of off the top of my head. :ohwell:

I mean that... In the first two series they had solid types. Which were Normal, Fire, Water, Ground, Rock, Steel, Flying, Poison, Eletric, so on.

Then as the series progressed, they modified the newer Pokemon into multi-types. Like... Fire/Rock, Grass/Poison, and afterwards began modifying the older Pokemon into dual-types as well as the series progressed.
Dual-types have been around since Gen 1. Togepi and Marills family lines are all Gen 2.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I would love if 5th Gen focused entirely on new Pokemon, then 6th could focus on expanding the families of the singular Pokemon from the past generations, particularly 1-4.
I LOVE this idea. Only working on new Pokemon/exanding the families might be a little too extreme (there should be a little mix of both), but it would be amazing if the primary focus of the next 3 gens looked like this-

Gen 5- The new Pokemon generation
Gen 6- The Pokemon expansion generation
Gen 7- The generation that brings it ALL together

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
It has been around since generation one.
For example: http://www.upokecenter.com/dex/?version=yellow

This Pokedex hasn't been updated since generation one. You can see that by looking at Magneton's pokedex entry, where Steel isn't listed as a type.
Charizard is still Fire/Flying though.

I wasn't wrong. I just linked to the wrong site, since they updated their Pokedex.
I can screenshot my Pokemon Stadium game if you want.

CASE CLOSED :p
Hmmm... Interesting. Never realized that. I know that Generation 3 still extremely promoted it, though. They took it to extreme levels. But if that's not the trend for that generation, then what is?

Miami, maybe gen 4 has been the transition into wifi. Pokemon has been made easier to obtain (somewhat) by the introduction of wifi trading. No longer must you have a friend with a game link cable. Now all you need is the internet and something to trade for.

The only problem with this system is the abusing of it. People put up outrageous trades. Mew for a Dewgong? No thanks. Id rather go to the seafoam islands and catch it myself

Hopefully B/W will finally fix this issue. Itll make my life much more easier

EDIT: man, I got ninjad by 5 people... my phone writes too slow
That's what I was thinking, too. They gave generation four the ability to trade worldwide instead of just locally. But that's still not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for trends on the Pokemon series, not JUST the video games. I've watched the show as a child growing up, been involved in the Pokemon Organized Play TCG events (traveled to tournies out of state and everything), and I've followed the RPG games my whole life. I'm looking for common similarities, and trends for all of them. But thanks for the help.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
By bringing it all together, would that mean being able to access every region? That would be awesome, Id be abit afraid to see the price of the game though...

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
By bringing it all together, would that mean being able to access every region? That would be awesome, Id be abit afraid to see the price of the game though...
Yes I meant Gen 7 would be the Pokemon game that included every region.

Also every Pokemon to date would be available in-game, except for exclusives of course. It's the Pokemon game we've all been dreaming about, but it's not time yet.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
People not being old enough to play Gen 1 makes me feel old, and I'm only 18.
The price wouldn't be any/much different than it is now...
I'm 18 too so I feel you dude :laugh:

Mewter

Smash Master
Hmmm... Interesting. Never realized that. I know that Generation 3 still extremely promoted it, though. They took it to extreme levels. But if that's not the trend for that generation, then what is?
Actually, Generation 1 had 62 dual-type Pokemon. Generation 3 had only 61.

T-block

B2B TST
I don't understand why we have to identify a "trend" with each generation. I doubt that's how Nintendo approaches making these games. Each generation had a lot of features added from the previous one, and that's that. 3rd gen really expanded upon the breeding system that was introduced, but I wouldn't claim that this expansion "identified" 3rd gen or anything.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Wow. What Mewter just said is pure fail. Im tempted to sig that.

Bleh, my time was gen 2. I was around 5 when I had Silver :p. That makes me feel slightly old. Slightly

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I don't understand why we have to identify a "trend" with each generation. I doubt that's how Nintendo approaches making these games. Each generation had a lot of features added from the previous one, and that's that. 3rd gen really expanded upon the breeding system that was introduced, but I wouldn't claim that this expansion "identified" 3rd gen or anything.
This all started because I mentioned that it looks like Gen 5 will be mostly new Pokes. Then for some reason people started talking about game mechanics introduced but didn't have any input for Gen 5's game mechanics.

EDIT:

How is what he said fail?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The video suggests that Game Freak took a page out of Sega's book titled "Sonic Xtreme: The Game That Never Was"

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Oh, I thought you were younger seeing as though you didn't know there was dual-types and thought Togetic and Marill were 1st Gens. :confused:
Nah, and I knew what Dual-types are. I've been around since... Well... The release of those starter kits with First Edition Machamp and Mewtwo TCG packs. xD

I just never recalled any of the dual-types in the originals... But then again, it's been since what? 1999? Sooner then that? 1997? Somewhere between those dates. xD

It's been too long, and I was too young to remember... Thinking back makes me feel old...

Spire

III
BRoomer
Wow. What Mewter just said is pure fail. Im tempted to sig that.

Bleh, my time was gen 2. I was around 5 when I had Silver :p. That makes me feel slightly old. Slightly
Are you an idiot? What he said is true. Gen 3 had 61 dual types and Gen 1 had 62 (actually I counted 63, so one of us messed up). Either way, you're wrong.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Blah, Im not an idiot, considering the circumstances, that statement was just fail. I wasnt saying that that wasnt true, just funny...

T-block

B2B TST
He probably meant fail on Miami's part?

Anyways, not that it's relevant anymore, but gen 3 did have 16 fewer pokemon than gen 1 did, so the ratio for gen 3 is still higher.

Also, if we're talking about the big change that 4th gen brought, I can't think of anything bigger than separating type from the physical/special characteristic of moves.

Mewter

Smash Master
@T-Block
You're right.

Dual Type:
K 62
J 46
H 61
S 52

Total Pokemon:
K 151
J 100
H 135
S 107

Percentage:
K 41%
J 46%
H 45%
S ~49%

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
He probably meant fail on Miami's part?

Anyways, not that it's relevant anymore, but gen 3 did have 16 fewer pokemon than gen 1 did, so the ratio for gen 3 is still higher.

Also, if we're talking about the big change that 4th gen brought, I can't think of anything bigger than separating type from the physical/special characteristic of moves.
The dual types ranged greater than they did previously in Generation 3, then in the original generation. xD

I'm not giving up my battle quite yet. They went from common similarities to huge distinctions.

T-block

B2B TST
As in more unique type combinations? I guess that's true (Medicham, Shedinja, Blaziken, Sableye, Sharpedo, Tropius, etc.), but that's to be expected. When creating new pokemon, why not go for new type combinations? But I highly doubt Nintendo was thinking "we need to set gen 3 apart, let's do that by making new type combinations".

Spire

III
BRoomer
3rd Gen was just all around trying to be exotic. That was the premise I see. The geography, the architecture, the story, the pokemon, the type combinations, the moves (DIVE!?), everything. It is easily the most diverse generation in the series thus far and I wholeheartedly appreciate it for all its worth.

Mewter

Smash Master
First Gen has Water/Ice, Grass/Poison, Ground/Rock, Normal/Flying, Bug/Poison and lots of other connected, sensible, dual-typed Pokemon.
Third Gen gets stuff like Grass/Fighting, Bug/Ghost, Water/Dark, Ground/Dragon, Steel/Psychic and other wild, crazy stuff.

No one's going to argue with that, Miami. :p

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Dual types may have been more present in third gen but I don't think you can argue it as any more than a fact, certainly not what defined the generation's Pokémon. Every new generation has brought in more type combinations. I recall a bit of talk of how fourth gen was doing that too, with Dark/Poison, Fighting/Poison, etc. I'd definitely say it defined fourth gen more than third gen, and it didn't really define fourth gen very much either. Dual types really haven't played that much of a role in any generation.

Bulbapedia has easy go-to lists for changes in each generation.

Second Gen

Third Gen

Fourth Gen

The "Advances in Gameplay" section for each of those sums up the most important changes of each gen. I'd say that's where we should be looking for the defining change(s).

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I wouldn't even say third or fourth generation emphasized it, though. New type combinations aren't even really expected so much as assumed. Spire has it right -- there may have been more interesting type combinations in third gen, but that's because the entire generation was more exotic.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I only figured out a few days ago that Brendan was wearing a hat and not a headband with white hair.

Gen III is too exotic :V

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I wouldn't even say third or fourth generation emphasized it, though. New type combinations aren't even really expected so much as assumed. Spire has it right -- there may have been more interesting type combinations in third gen, but that's because the entire generation was more exotic.
So then that generation's trend or purpose theme was to be exotic...

Mewter

Smash Master
The only real patterns here are the addition of new mechanics and Pokemon into the video games. :p

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Wait... what? I couldve sworn that was a headband with white hair... those guya in hoenn have weird fashion styles XD

Hopefully the male character looks just as normal as the female

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom