• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Black and White (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Nintendo stated that Pokemon wasn't ending any time soon. Pokemon is Nintendo's third gold mine right beside Mario and Link. If you take out Pokemon, you lose A LOT of fan loyalty. I'm serious. Unless you give a satisfying enough series, fans won't get as pissed. Also, we still have the 3DS to think about. Even if it is ending soon, it won't be this gen since this one is still coming out on DS (yes thank the lord I don't want to waste 500 dollars to buy a console to JUST play ONE game) I'm guessing at least 3 more generations of annoying Geodudes, Tentacools, Zubats, Golbats, and Magikarps, it'll finally end

*shivers*

I want black though. I just like the color black. I really have nothing to worry about with the version exclusives because my friend has already stated that he is definately getting White unless Zoroark is a Black exclusive, unless it has a cooler counterpart. Maybe Zoroark could be an Arcanine/Ninetales deal maybe?

I'm hoping that B/W brings in a nice accessory with it. Maybe the could make something like the Pokewalker. Not a pedometer, but something else that could get the fans thinking more about the game. I have no idea what it could be though...

I think they'll be 8~10 generations of pokemon. A lot of land is unused, and lots of animals left, seriously 493 doesn't equal our # of species

I wear a black shirt every single day, Black is for the win.

As for the assessory, needs to be some kind of tool that gives you pokepoints for "Action" recieved. Thus resulting in the world having more "Action" and hopefully not a larger birthrate. (lol)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I don't see why you guys act like if we ran out of animals we'd run out of pokemon ideas. They can take the same animal and do multiple things with it. Need I remind you of the fox?

My main hope is that this has its own distinctive feel, like 3rd gen. This is what I dislike about 4th gen design, its a rather mix bag. I can see a 3rd gen pokemon and know instantly that's a 3rd gen pokemon without even recalling its name. 4th gen lacked this, and focused more improving pokemon as a whole (physical split, evolving pokemon that needed to be evolved, continuing the eevee chain) than it did being its own entity seperate from the other games. 4th gen gave us some necessary improvements, but its by no means a stand alone masterpiece that I feel 3rd was.

The city gives me hope for this, as its already a bit of a departure from previous games. Champion Z also warms my heart a little bit, as its clear they aren't following suit, sticking to previous design patterns, so I can only hope that the basic flow of his design is carried over into other pokemon designs.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I don't see why you guys act like if we ran out of animals we'd run out of pokemon ideas. They can take the same animal and do multiple things with it. Need I remind you of the fox?

My main hope is that this has its own distinctive feel, like 3rd gen. This is what I dislike about 4th gen design, its a rather mix bag. I can see a 3rd gen pokemon and know instantly that's a 3rd gen pokemon without even recalling its name. 4th gen lacked this, and focused more improving pokemon as a whole (physical split, evolving pokemon that needed to be evolved, continuing the eevee chain) than it did being its own entity seperate from the other games. 4th gen gave us some necessary improvements, but its by no means a stand alone masterpiece that I feel 3rd was.

The city gives me hope for this, as its already a bit of a departure from previous games. Champion Z also warms my heart a little bit, as its clear they aren't following suit, sticking to previous design patterns, so I can only hope that the basic flow of his design is carried over into other pokemon designs.
Aside from that, they still have a lot of types left too.

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
Is the reason for a lot of people disliking 3rd Gen. its unique Pokemon designs? I thought the creator (name isn't coming to mind) wanted to do something different with the games. Its definitely my favorite. 4th Gen was awkward but there were some cool designs like.. Drapion and Floatzel.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I don't have a problem with 4th gen having designs seperate from previous games, I dislike that it doesn't have its own feel for the most part. I feels like a bunch of ideas stuck together, unlike 3rd gen.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Nintendo stated that Pokemon wasn't ending any time soon. Pokemon is Nintendo's third gold mine right beside Mario and Link.
The way you phrased this is kinda iffy considering the money the Zelda series makes is pocket change compared to how much money the Pokemon or Mario series make.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Oh, guys, BTW, a few more hours.

Its April 15th in Japan.

M.K

Level 55
Yeah, this topic will spiral in times of information drought. It's inevitable. -_-;;

Anyways, new CoroCoro says it'll reveal how "we obtain Zoroark". Probably some new evolution method. Seems interesting, though it sucks that we have to wait another month for it. I'm sure they'll be some rumors but take every piece of info with a grain of salt.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
We're here to talk about Pokemon Black and White, not debate how original the past generations were.

And you're not one to call another a n00b.

-Terywj
This is still on topic. We're going back to the former generations named color. Then coming back to a topic. Before this, it was discussion about black/white symbolizing the end of Pokemon. Which isn't the case at all.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Yeah, this topic will spiral in times of information drought. It's inevitable. -_-;;

Anyways, new CoroCoro says it'll reveal how "we obtain Zoroark". Probably some new evolution method. Seems interesting, though it sucks that we have to wait another month for it. I'm sure they'll be some rumors but take every piece of info with a grain of salt.
Meta-Kirby brought up a good point. For most cases each generation brought a new way to evolve Pokemon. R/B/Y were original so no more comments there but technically split evolutions, stone evolutions, and trade evolutions would count. G/S/C had happiness and trading with items. R/S/E had the unique Nincada evolution, and D/P/Pt brought new stones, the unique Mantyke evolution, move-learning based evolution, time based evolution with happiness, and probably more that I've missed.

Wonder what B/W will bring...

-Terywj

Mewter

Smash Master
Woah! Those are high quality!

And that truck was kind of a surprise at the beginning, but it's even more of a surprise now!
I wonder what would happen if you used strength on it. :p

Spire

III
BRoomer
You know honestly... I'm really tired of the graphics in the Pokemon games. Look at the Ranger games. They have 8-way run and the worlds are much more seamless, hi-res, and thus beautiful. Even though the core series is going 3D and Ranger hasn't, it's far more beautiful in scope because the sprite/pixel work is just breathtaking. I also prefer the more proportionally sized characters/pokemon in Ranger than the miniatures seen in the core games, and their size is limited by the grid system used to navigate the world (which I'm also very much against). Gaming is growing up, Pokemon needs to also.

Mewter

Smash Master
Post count and seniority don't really matter at all, but most everyone still unconsciously acknowledges them.

I like the names Black and White. I call dibs on the third being Brown. ;)

HotWings

Smash Ace
Pokemon Brown? That would never happen.

I wonder what shiny Zoroark will look like.

I know right, i want to see the shiny version soooo bad lol.

Btw mewter they would name it gray version b4 they would brown lol.

They need to make a shiny version to where all the pokemon are shiny and the rare ones like what the shines are now would be regular color xD. That would be a weird game hahaha

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
You know honestly... I'm really tired of the graphics in the Pokemon games. Look at the Ranger games. They have 8-way run and the worlds are much more seamless, hi-res, and thus beautiful. Even though the core series is going 3D and Ranger hasn't, it's far more beautiful in scope because the sprite/pixel work is just breathtaking. I also prefer the more proportionally sized characters/pokemon in Ranger than the miniatures seen in the core games, and their size is limited by the grid system used to navigate the world (which I'm also very much against). Gaming is growing up, Pokemon needs to also.
Yes, I wanna be followed by Steelix or Wailord and watch how they wreck towns with their giant butts.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The large pokemon just cna't walk around in towns like the areas in HG/SS where pokemon couldn't be out, like the 8th gym.

That said, I do like the idea about taking my Steelix into town and trashing it :)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's funny that you mention 8 directions, Spire, because with these high quality shots I noticed something about the city screenshot -- the stairs at the bottom are diagonal. Now, that certainly doesn't mean anything for sure, but I can't help but think how awkward it would be to traverse those stairs with only 4 directions. None of the other screenshots indicate any change to the direction system, but perhaps that's in store?

This is purely speculative, but It's certainly a possibility.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
cuz 7k post count makes u pro rite? l0l
-_-

No, because YOU'RE a noob as well. You've joined this site a mere two months ago, have shown to be immature, and this is only like you're 2nd Post in the Pokemon center.

I'm betting if you keep insulting older members you're going to end up with some infractions.

Also, Firus, if anything, a Camera angle change could happen right there, making the steps horizontal/vertical, allowing you to easily cross them.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I considered that as well, but more directions are still a possibility.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
You do realize that this is a RPG game, right? That's why the games are the way they are... They tried making them more 3D with knock-offs of the game.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
What does the genre have to do with the graphics? You do realize that Final Fantasy and GoldenSun are RPG's don't you? I agree with Spire, I just thinking about 8-direction walking while playing SS. The series really does need to move forward in more ways.

Ulti Mario and everyone else, consider yourselves warned. If you guys keep it up you'll both end up with infractions.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
What does the genre have to do with the graphics? You do realize that Final Fantasy and GoldenSun are RPG's don't you? I agree with Spire, I just thinking about 8-direction walking while playing SS. The series really does need to move forward in more ways.

Ulti Mario and everyone else, consider yourselves warned. If you guys keep it up you'll both end up with infractions.
Yes, I know, but it's the sort of organization they've been using for years. A sudden change and switch up wouldn't transist too well.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
They had physical/special based on types for three generations and switched that up, too.

Sometimes change is good and necessary, and as long as they don't change everything all at once it's certainly plausible.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
They had physical/special based on types for three generations and switched that up, too.

Sometimes change is good and necessary, and as long as they don't change everything all at once it's certainly plausible.
I don't see it happening. The only RPG 3D effects in Pokemon will remain for the upper consoles such as N64, Gamecube, Wii, future TV Consoles. The handhelds won't upgrade to 3D RPG for a while.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's great that you don't see it happening, but it isn't impossible and we have no proof either way yet, so we can speculate about it for the time being.

M.K

Level 55
But....about the control thing; would one consider that Game Freak's fault, or Game Freak's limitations based on the design of the current DS/DS Lite/DSi(XL)? I mean, surely they've incorporated 8-way movement into Ranger Games, like you said, but...hmm....I don't know. I guess it's just the nostalgia of moving in four directions. >_>

Majority

Smash Journeyman
I'd like it to stay the way it is. Walking diagonally would definitely look strange in a Pokemon game. Besides Collosseum and whatnot.

Mewter

Smash Master
Brown can't happen? Well, think about it for a second.

Both black and white are neutral colors. So are gray and brown. They tend to go well with most colors. If their theme is achromatic, then of course the third version will be gray, but if their theme is simply neutral and is wider, then they can work brown in there.

I think it would be a pretty neat color for a third version in contrast with Black and White, personally. :)

Mewter

Smash Master
You could also call Palkia and Dialga yin-yang, or any other Pokemon with a version counterpart.

What I meant was an actual Yin-Yang Pokemon duo, whose sole purposes were to actually symbolize that relationship.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If they do end up doing Grey for the third game, I hope they spell it the British way.

If they do, I'll love them for it.

Brown isn't exactly achromatic...it's a dark orange/red of sorts. Grey definitely fits better, if you ask me.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't see it happening. The only RPG 3D effects in Pokemon will remain for the upper consoles such as N64, Gamecube, Wii, future TV Consoles. The handhelds won't upgrade to 3D RPG for a while.
And with the 3DS coming out, I'M SURE Pokemon will most definitely NOT go 3D, despite 5th Gen (on the DS) going even further 3D. Great logic kid.

Let's look at Final Fantasy. The first six games were done entirely in 2D, because they were made prior to 1993. Final Fantasy 7 then commenced development and was released on the PS3 as a 2.5D/2.75D game. It wasn't entirely 3D as all of the scenery was just prerendered images with invisible collision walls, but the battle environments and the characters and monsters in them were 3D, along with the 3D pre-rendered cutscenes. FF8 and FF9 would further capitalize on this almost-3D style. FFX would be the first true 3D Final Fantasy and they've been that way ever since.

Now back to Pokemon. Generations I-III were entirely 2D, synonymous with FF1-6. Gen IV-V are 2.5D, like FF7-9. Gen VI? Definitely full-on 3D like FFX. Square capitalized on the capabilities of the systems they were developing for to present as beautiful a game as they possible could. In order to make the Playstation FFs so gorgeous, they had to sacrifice active 3D scenery for pre-rendered flat images. Nintendo developed three Pokemon generations for handheld systems that did not support 3D. While the Nintendo DS does support 3D, the console is known for having a split library between 2D, 2.5D, and 3D games. The 3DS is most likely going to be almost entirely 3D-centric, including Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon.

Honestly, we aren't far from seeing 3D handheld Pokemon games, whether they're core or spinoff (or both).
We have them, Groudon and Kyogre.
You could also call Palkia and Dialga yin-yang, or any other Pokemon with a version counterpart.

What I meant was an actual Yin-Yang Pokemon duo, whose sole purposes were to actually symbolize that relationship.
You're failing to acknowledge the fact that Rayquaza and Giratina form trios with your mentioned pairs. Lugia and Ho-oh form a yin-yang of sorts, but not the weather or dragon trios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom