• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Points of clarification about Casual Vs. Competitive that everyone needs to read(WOP)

user_name

Smash Apprentice
What sets them apart is that the black hole glitch has absolutely no use for competitive play, you moron.
Ah, so what you're saying is that the difference between a glitch and an exploit is how widely it's accepted within the tournament scene?

Now, lets look at this from a technical point of view. Think about it for a second. Do you realize how ridiculous you sound yet?

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Ugh get over this simple matter already. It's a competitive game...much like a sport...you either play it for fun or play it professionally. In sports there are novices who either look up to the pros and hope to play like them, or don't give a **** and play for fun with friends. The fact that smash is a video game allows for more elitists and casual groups since it's so accessible. You can play smash in the comfort of your living room, rain or shine. You can be average at it fairly quickly, like any other videogame you put your effort into, but it takes initiative to get better and play competitively. If you don't admire another player, then why even give a **** about them unless they're a friend. If you dislike another player then isn't it logical to just ignore them? Stop the drama and suck it up to all the whiners out there, casuals and competitives alike.
Lol, you said shine...

RDK

Smash Hero
Now, lets look at this from a technical point of view. Think about it for a second. Do you realize how ridiculous you sound yet?
The only problem with your clever little analysis is that I wasn't looking at it from a technical point of view.

And I guess to you, I would sound ridiculous. Somehow that fails to bother me.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Quit mention the word glitch, is has nothing at all to do with the thread, it's off topic and I don't even understand how it even got incorporated.

I want to here more casuals counter why our logic fails in terms of which stages to fight on, and why we don't use items. Because it is completely logical in terms of deciding the most skilled winner.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Quit mention the word glitch, is has nothing at all to do with the thread, it's off topic and I don't even understand how it even got incorporated.

I want to here more casuals counter why our logic fails in terms of which stages to fight on, and why we don't use items. Because it is completely logical in terms of deciding the most skilled winner.
Well if you ask me theres skill involved with both items and not. Sure luck is involved with items but luck can be negated as well with plenty of skill, at least that's how I see it. Someone grabs a hammer, happen to be using Marth?; down b to easily counter their hammer, well, that's just one example.

user_name

Smash Apprentice
There is no error of code involved.
There's as much error involved in WDing as there is involved in the black hole glitch, but the error doesn't reside in the actual code, that's true, but how the code was implemented, where as the black hole glitch is caused mostly from inconsistencies between Smash physics and real world physics.

So the question is, is an error unrelated to the physics engine a glitch? I'd say so. Imagine you're playing Super Mario Galaxy. You see a well hidden spot of land that doesn't look like it was meant to be accessed. You find a way to access it, and, whoops, no hit-map was mapped to the floor bellow and you fall into an endless black abyss. Is this a glitch? I'd say so.

Ive read through this entire thread, (yes all of it) and it doesn't seem like very many people actually think that. Either that, or those who do are too afraid to post. =/

Life might not be fair, but it's totally forward air.
hahaha, yes!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
but the error doesn't reside in the actual code, that's true, but how the code was implemented
Which is why it isn't a glitch. The code doesn't **** up in any way, the physics allows it, the game is kept intact and there are no visual or audible problems, there are no input errors, and etc. With the black hole glitch, the IC's freeze glitch, and many other strange glitches is that the game obviously has problems in code. That is a glitch. Wavedashing was merely unintentional, but is fully functional within the code with no errors. It could be an "error" that the coders did not forsee, but that doesn't make it an error in code, aka a glitch.

I'm done with the semantics though, cause there is no point debating it further and the OP really doesn't want this discussed anymore.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I want to make one final addition and say that the black hole glitch often FREEZES the game. Wavedashing doesn't freeze the game. There's your difference.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
There's as much error involved in WDing as there is involved in the black hole glitch, but the error doesn't reside in the actual code, that's true, but how the code was implemented, where as the black hole glitch is caused mostly from inconsistencies between Smash physics and real world physics.

So the question is, is an error unrelated to the physics engine a glitch? I'd say so. Imagine you're playing Super Mario Galaxy. You see a well hidden spot of land that doesn't look like it was meant to be accessed. You find a way to access it, and, whoops, no hit-map was mapped to the floor bellow and you fall into an endless black abyss. Is this a glitch? I'd say so.

hahaha, yes!
Once again, no. It is not a glitch that you could reach the little island, but it would be a glitch if the land was still meant to be landed on anyway no matter how unaccessible.

Glitch does not mean what was intended by the programmer, but was intended by the code. Walking down corneria then falling down fox hole. Glitch. Why? The code says that everyone should be able to stand on land, but characters sometimes fall through Corneria. The infinite ammo glitch with Super Scope. It is a glitch because the Super Scope is supposed to have finite ammount of ammo and has no exploitation of a regular portion of the game.

If you are supposed to slide by airdodging into the ground, then how could it possibly be a glitch? In fact, it shows the game works and does not glitch when you do that.

Also, the "attack the point or a person's arguement I might be able to counter" instead of taking on the whole arguement is kind of old and bad. If there are many holes, then your arguement must not work in someway or another and either you have to revise it or you are wrong.

user_name

Smash Apprentice
Which is why it isn't a glitch. The code doesn't **** up in any way, the physics allows it, the game is kept intact and there are no visual or audible problems, there are no input errors, and etc. With the black hole glitch, the IC's freeze glitch, and many other strange glitches is that the game obviously has problems in code. That is a glitch. Wavedashing was merely unintentional, but is fully functional within the code with no errors. It could be an "error" that the coders did not forsee, but that doesn't make it an error in code, aka a glitch.

I'm done with the semantics though, cause there is no point debating it further and the OP really doesn't want this discussed anymore.
Alright. You can ignore the example I gave above. As long as we can ALL stop discussing the semantics now. After 2 days it's gotten old. I didn't think it would last this long, especially since it doesn't actually matter.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Well if you ask me theres skill involved with both items and not. Sure luck is involved with items but luck can be negated as well with plenty of skill, at least that's how I see it. Someone grabs a hammer, happen to be using Marth?; down b to easily counter their hammer, well, that's just one example.
The skill doesn't NEGATE the luck, the luck still exist, therefore it is illogical to compete with items competitively, in terms of deciding which play has the most skill.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Alright. You can ignore the example I gave above. As long as we can ALL stop discussing the semantics now. After 2 days it's gotten old. I didn't think it would last this long, especially since it doesn't actually matter.
It's like I said at the start, dude. Wavedashing has a very extremely high chance of not being in Brawl after all.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
The skill doesn't NEGATE the luck, the luck still exist, therefore it is illogical to compete with items competitively, in terms of deciding which play has the most skill.
Don't know about you but I myself play to win, even with items on. I just see it as a factor of who can get to the item the fastest with skill and who can use that said item best with skill. For example me and my buds hardly ever use the bat normally like a beam sword, since throwing it at someone attempting to get back on the stage, or is on the stage to begin with knocks them pretty far as it is. So to me, yeah, I can say for myself I play competitively even with items on.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Don't know about you but I myself play to win, even with items on. I just see it as a factor of who can get to the item the fastest with skill and who can use that said item best with skill. For example me and my buds hardly ever use the bat normally like a beam sword, since throwing it at someone attempting to get back on the stage, or is on the stage to begin with knocks them pretty far as it is. So to me, yeah, I can say for myself I play competitively even with items on.
But it takes less skill to use most items rather than just characters, plus playing with items makes Fox even more unfair.

If it's one stock left for 5000 bucks. A bomb lands in the middle of Final Destination and it i Bowser vs. Fox, Fox will get the bomb, and Fox has a much higher chance of winning the match now. More over, even if Bowser somehow got the bomb, Fox could reflect it.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
So what would you say if you lost because the following items spawned right next to your opponent:

Heart Container, Starman, Home-Run Bat

In the same match the items that spawned next to you were:

Fire Flower, Mr. Saturn

So, that's fair huh?
Also Bowser is pretty much unplayable if items are on. At least now without items he can put up a fight.

Players could also just be Falcon or Fox and camp until a good item spawns then go get it since they are so fast.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
But it takes less skill to use most items rather than just characters, plus playing with items makes Fox even more unfair.

If it's one stock left for 5000 bucks. A bomb lands in the middle of Final Destination and it i Bowser vs. Fox, Fox will get the bomb, and Fox has a much higher chance of winning the match now. More over, even if Bowser somehow got the bomb, Fox could reflect it.
If Bowser got the bomb, due to his speed, if I was Bowser, I'd just throw it away due to Fox's reflector. As for Fox getting it, heck, try your best to avoid what may come. I'll cite an example in which a bob omb I had just gotten had set a pal of mine into a defensive mode with Falco. I ran to him as if to throw it but I short hopped, threw it into the air before getting to him, wave dashed downwards towards him into a grab, before back throwing him with Pichu as the bomb came down and hit him on his way up. That all entire was entire a mixing of luck and skill on my part, this is what I mean by playing competitively with items.

So what would you say if you lost because the following items spawned right next to your opponent:

Heart Container, Starman, Home-Run Bat

In the same match the items that spawned next to you were:

Fire Flower, Mr. Saturn

So, that's fair huh?
Also Bowser is pretty much unplayable if items are on. At least now without items he can put up a fight.

Players could also just be Falcon or Fox and camp until a good item spawns then go get it since they are so fast.
I would say "lame", but still consider it fair. Out of the items you said spawned near me, I would try and use the fire flower due to the reach it gives, it being a bit more than that of the home run bat, dash dance to dash to short hop to fire breathing, that is assuming my opponent decides to keep one of the item, as for the starman...run, plain and simple.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Saying that playing with items and on stages like Flat Zone is just as skillful as playing with tourney rules doesn't make any sense at all.
Sure it does, at least to me. Like one would require sufficient amount of skill to avoid a dash dancing short hopping foward smash throwing Marth, while still trying to get in a hit on them, so would it require a certain amount of skill to deal with what the game throws at you when your opponent gets a certain item. This is why I find it very easy to foward smash 9 year olds with the home-run bat and not so much my usual match ups, yanno? That is of course, not to say one would require more skill than the other, the both just require skill to survive in both scenarios that's all. Kind of like life giving you lemons, make lemonade

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Any matter, in closing...I love Hyrule Temple. Once in Final Battle I was fighting my friend as Pichu and he was Fox, I had picked up a bob-omb, faked as if to throw it at him and he like an idiot freaked, turned reflecter on. L-canceled my jump, threw the bob-omb into the air, dash grabbed him out of his reflector, did Pichu's back throw, and ended up throwing him down into the falling bob-omb. Epic, you can't get that kind of stuff in Tournaments. Also, mods, I ask you deep from my heart like the creator did and close this thread, it's the same as every other one before it ever.
You were holding a bomb and then L-canceled your JUMP? Do you know what L-cancelling is?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry for being 30 pages late, but I hope someone else caught this. He didn't waste any time proving how clueless he is.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
*Sighs*

Really I don't see any point to this anymore, I left this afternoon with this post having 13 pages only to come home to double that amount with the same points being thrown back and forth. Really I'm not seeing anything too pleasant coming from either side excluding a few select people anyhoo.

Then again I don't seem to get into too many arugments here because I seem to be too neutral-minded for this subject XD

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
*sigh* Sadly, I must bow my head in shame. As 5150 pointed out, there is no point reasoning with these people. Rather than participate in a discussion where people listen to reason, these scrubs strolled into the thread predetermined in their minds that wavedashing is a glitch, casuals have a fighting chance against competitive smashers, etc. We lay down the evidence (Hypnotist did it all in the first post), and they respond with "logic". Rather than present any tangible evidence, they simply reason their way to the top.

Ph34r teh 1337 casuals...

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I get the impression that he's trying to incorporate advanced techs into his argument to try to make himself look knowledgeable. Just read what he is saying carefully and the techniques he names really just look so tacked onto his words.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
"But Banana_Dragon... aren't you... right now... like... whining about players who whine about how they disllike whiners?"
Yes I am! ANNOYING, ISN'T IT? I hope this illustrates my point...
Does that whole statement just make your entire post hypocritical?

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
See kids here is an example of elitism, "no one wants to play competitively with items". My friend and I always play with items on Battlefield, and we are much better than your average run off the mill "noob". And I still win most my battles bar none, predominantly, I have been winning much more than he, items don't seem to be helping him -too- much. When you say such a thing with an absolute terminology such as "no one" you effectively try to say literally no one does, while I, a well skilled Smasher, do. I am humble and never would do such, and you are not, you are elitist.

Any matter, in closing...I love Hyrule Temple. Once in Final Battle I was fighting my friend as Pichu and he was Fox, I had picked up a bob-omb, faked as if to throw it at him and he like an idiot freaked, turned reflecter on. L-canceled my jump, threw the bob-omb into the air, dash grabbed him out of his reflector, did Pichu's back throw, and ended up throwing him down into the falling bob-omb. Epic, you can't get that kind of stuff in Tournaments. Also, mods, I ask you deep from my heart like the creator did and close this thread, it's the same as every other one before it ever.
It seems your argument is null, as you have arrived at a paradox.

Also, HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
*sigh* Sadly, I must bow my head in shame. As 5150 pointed out, there is no point reasoning with these people. Rather than participate in a discussion where people listen to reason, these scrubs strolled into the thread predetermined in their minds that wavedashing is a glitch, casuals have a fighting chance against competitive smashers, etc. We lay down the evidence (Hypnotist did it all in the first post), and they respond with "logic". Rather than present any tangible evidence, they simply reason their way to the top.

That's what just irks me so much about the casuals. The rest of us know that the simple fact is we are right and they are wrong, but arguing with them is like arguing with a brick wall.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
You were holding a bomb and then L-canceled your JUMP? Do you know what L-cancelling is?

Sorry for being 30 pages late, but I hope someone else caught this. He didn't waste any time proving how clueless he is.
Very elitist presumptuous behavior from you as I would expect. If you had thought just a little more about it you would have seen that I meant my landing after the jump was l canceled, perhaps it was also my fault for not specifying correctly, but it is also your fault for assuming

Somehow this statement DOES NOT support your argument by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, none of your posts really have.

Smooth Criminal
And you fail to state how it does not support my argument at all, you just said it doesn't and disregarded me, frankly annoying behavior on your part. One little defacing of your ever so scared terms and suddenly 2 people not previously seen by me and others are jumping down my throat, and you people wonder what exactly fuels the whiny noob elitist casual hatred for you, tch. This whole "We are IT, we are infallible and you will always be wrong, NO MATTER what" mentality.

I mean seriously even now I'm finding myself FINALLY even just a little vexed with how much "ha-haing and cries of "NOOB GTFO WE ARE ALWAYS RIGHT" are pouring out of people I was previously having a normal debate with, jeez folks calm down.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That's what just irks me so much about the casuals. The rest of us know that the simple fact is we are right and they are wrong, but arguing with them is like arguing with a brick wall.
Then it's usually best to let it go as I mentioned in my first post on this subject nearly 20 pages ago...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

Hey! Your post has given me a great idea, Buzz!

Why don't we just close the **** thread and be done with it? That'll certainly end the arguing. Because you are right: In the end, it's a matter of paradigm and the inability to shift it even slightly to accommodate what some of us have said.

Edit:

Oh said:
And you fail to state how it does not support my argument at all, you just said it doesn't and disregarded me, frankly annoying behavior on your part.
Do I even need to spell it out for you, kid? You don't even know what L-canceling is. Countless people have illustrated many of the following points:

A) Wavedashing is not a bloody glitch, but rather a simplistic exploit of the physics engine.

B) Items are, as a general rule of thumb, unfair when money's on the line. Randomness does not a fair competition make. If you wanna properly gamble, go to a casino or play the local lottery.

C) Luck has nothing to do with skill. It is a totally different factor altogether.

D) You don't even know WHAT L-canceling is.

E) You think forward smashing nine year olds takes skill.

F) Did I mention you don't know what L-canceling is? Yeah.

Need I say more?

Smooth Criminal

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
I get the impression that he's trying to incorporate advanced techs into his argument to try to make himself look knowledgeable. Just read what he is saying carefully and the techniques he names really just look so tacked onto his words.
In that particular instance he demonstrated that he doesn't actually know what the technique IS in the first place.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion

I caught it too, buddy. This hilarious contradiction, in fact, nullifies the 'casual player' argument for all that may advocate it in the future.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm almost to the part where I start spamming the thread without appearing to spam it. Secretly, I just poke fun at the opposing views to see how they react all while keeping a "straight face". Too bad I just leaked my secret.

LOL @ L-canceling jumps. I like to air-dodge my down-tilts.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Very elitist presumptuous behavior from you as I would expect. If you had thought just a little more about it you would have seen that I meant my landing after the jump was l canceled, perhaps it was also my fault for not specifying correctly, but it is also your fault for assuming.

You're just digging yourself into a deeper hole and you don't even realize it.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
In that particular instance he demonstrated that he doesn't actually know what the technique IS in the first place.
There was also that whole dash-dance into a dash short-hop fire flower thing. Seriously what kind of knowledgeable person would actually throw that into an argument. It doesn't really mean anything since it's so out of context.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
I'm almost to the part where I start spamming the thread without appearing to spam it. Secretly, I just poke fun at the opposing views to see how they react all while keeping a "straight face". Too bad I just leaked my secret.

LOL @ L-canceling jumps. I like to air-dodge my down-tilts.
Once again, I was tired when I wrote the post, you can look back at my previous posts and you'll see, I already have corrected myself when I said I l canceled the landing lag.

You're just digging yourself into a deeper hole and you don't even realize it.
No, I'm not.

There was also that whole dash-dance into a dash short-hop fire flower thing. Seriously what kind of knowledgeable person would actually throw that into an argument. It doesn't really mean anything since it's so out of context.
Try it out, you might be able to pull it off if you're good enough.

I caught it too, buddy. This hilarious contradiction, in fact, nullifies the 'casual player' argument for all that may advocate it in the future.
Once again, read my posts.

Top Bottom