• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I got a PS3 for Christmas. I got LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted with it, but I went ahead and bought Mirrors Edge, Ratchet and Clank, and Warhammer Warhawk. So far, I'm liking all of them. This makes me really regret buying a Wii.

Besides the obvious (Prince of Persia, Metal Gear, Resistance), what other games should I pick up? I like pretty much any genre of games except for sports. Any suggestions?
Okay, serious question. I also got a PS3 for Christmas along with LittleBigPlanet.

My question is should I trade in my PS3 for an xbox 360? From what I know at the moment, the 360 holds more RPGs at the moment which is my favorite genre. Also, most games on the PS3 that I would play are also on the 360. Any advice?

Oh yeah, I'm not a big fan of games like God of War or Gears of War (that's funny) that have a lot of violence and gore.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
@CK, Nintendo definately made some money considering how cheap the Wii is to make.

@ Mr-X, rumors, they seem true enough. It was just confirmed that SCEE would not be seeing any lay-offs so Europe must be a good place for Sony. The PSN has had a lot of good content recently so I'm not suprised they are going to support it even furthur.

@CK again, good to see Sony's making some money. I'd hate to see them exit the console business as I like their attitude toward software development. If Nintendo's prices paired up with Sony's hardware and games it would be the perfect console.
Sure Nintendo is making money, but they are in first. With Sony in last place and still making money, it's pretty impressive. Home is really tearing things up though. If they continue to put enough stuff on it, I can see them making a lot of money off this "free service."

Alright, so I got a PS3 for Christmas. I got LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted with it, but I went ahead and bought Mirrors Edge, Ratchet and Clank, and Warhammer Warhawk. So far, I'm liking all of them. This makes me really regret buying a Wii.

Besides the obvious (Prince of Persia, Metal Gear, Resistance), what other games should I pick up? I like pretty much any genre of games except for sports. Any suggestions?
Lair is fun after the controls were fixed. It's made by the people who did Rogue Squadron and such. Pre-fix, the controls were ALL motion sensing so you may actually enjoy that too. You should find it cheap. PSN titles: you can find TONS to spend money on. I suggest PAiN, PixelJunk and Siren.

Lv. 99 said:
Okay, serious question. I also got a PS3 for Christmas along with LittleBigPlanet.

My question is should I trade in my PS3 for an xbox 360? From what I know at the moment, the 360 holds more RPGs at the moment which is my favorite genre. Also, most games on the PS3 that I would play are also on the 360. Any advice?

Oh yeah, I'm not a big fan of games like God of War or Gears of War (that's funny) that have a lot of violence and gore
That's up to you. Look into White Knight Chronicles, a PS3 JRPG exclusive. If you have a good computer, all the big 360 exclusives will be on it eventually and much better at that.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I've had mine for about 2 months and I really like it! I've finally gotten games like LBP and MGS4 too. I also got the MGS: Essential COllection and am gonna play through those before MGS4. I may get Resistance 2 once all that's done :p

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Get Resistance 1 first. It's a direct sequel and will answer a ton of questions. Plus, it was a great game.

Blackadder

Smash Master
LBP is great. I'm loving it to bits... save for 1 thing.

Ever since I got it my PS3's been off the wall. I was playing online LBP, and the power died. "Fair enough", I say. I turn the PS3 back on. LBP won't read. "Fair enough", I say, trying to keep cool.

After a bit of fiddling and mucking about, I find that NO game disc will read. "**** fair", I say.

I had to re-boot my entire PS3 system. Since then the PS3 has been okay, but still somewhat... odd. It's become almost eccentric. It does random things. Sometimes it freezes for no reason. Sometimes my friends list won't load. And most recently... LBP gets up to the "dont turn off during HD saving balh blah" screen... then goes back to the PS3 menu. But the game works fine on my brother's profile.

What the hell? I'm thinking of throwing the PS3 out the window and shooting it with a handgun, or possibly asking Sony to repair it.
Dunno, it's just... odd.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
LBP is great. I'm loving it to bits... save for 1 thing.

Ever since I got it my PS3's been off the wall. I was playing online LBP, and the power died. "Fair enough", I say. I turn the PS3 back on. LBP won't read. "Fair enough", I say, trying to keep cool.

After a bit of fiddling and mucking about, I find that NO game disc will read. "**** fair", I say.

I had to re-boot my entire PS3 system. Since then the PS3 has been okay, but still somewhat... odd. It's become almost eccentric. It does random things. Sometimes it freezes for no reason. Sometimes my friends list won't load. And most recently... LBP gets up to the "dont turn off during HD saving balh blah" screen... then goes back to the PS3 menu. But the game works fine on my brother's profile.

What the hell? I'm thinking of throwing the PS3 out the window and shooting it with a handgun, or possibly asking Sony to repair it.
Dunno, it's just... odd.
What model do you have? 80 Gigs?

Blackadder

Smash Master
40 Gig.

Got it for a large price just before they took the prices down. Thanks for that btw Sony.
Why is Gig important?

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
40 Gig.

Got it for a large price just before they took the prices down. Thanks for that btw Sony.
Why is Gig important?
They altered the 80 Gig version somehow, as far as I'm aware. Mine's been freezing up in random places too, so I was wondering if it might be a model-based problem.

Blackadder

Smash Master
They altered the 80 Gig version somehow, as far as I'm aware. Mine's been freezing up in random places too, so I was wondering if it might be a model-based problem.
Hm. Well, it can't be a gig thing for me then. It's seriously only started up since LBP crashed online -- though I can't fathom how that makes much sense. Then again, what form of logic do you have to subscribe to to make "ill work on one profile but not da other" make any sense?

I'm getting closer to getting Sony to fix it, but I really don't wanna do that.

bored

Smash Ace
For some reason I'm having trouble getting my PS3 connected to PSN. Stupid networking ****, I can never figure this out. Oh well. It also seems that everytime I try and create a level on LBP, I always end up running into that same **** glitch that continously kills. Even when I restart the game it still happens. This is the second time and I'm ready to do just about the same thing as Blackadder with the handgun and the tossing of the PS3 out the window. Arrgghhh..

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Hm. Well, it can't be a gig thing for me then. It's seriously only started up since LBP crashed online -- though I can't fathom how that makes much sense. Then again, what form of logic do you have to subscribe to to make "ill work on one profile but not da other" make any sense?

I'm getting closer to getting Sony to fix it, but I really don't wanna do that.
You might have no choice...unless the problems suddenly vanish. It's probably best to see if you can find any traces of your situation on PS3 community forums. If it's a known problem, there's a chance that there might be the option of a manual fix...otherwise it's Sony, I guess. But ya don't need me to tell you that >___>

I don't really see how being online would have screwed it. Probably a problem with the disk drive. Not really an uncommon problem from what I hear =|

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
A problem with the disc drive but only for one game and on a certain profile? I dunno.
I'm hoping it will just fix itself.
Had a similar problem with Persona 3 on my PS2. Minus the profile part. Disc drives can be more complex and annoying that one realizes. But yeah, just hope it fixes itself. Best option xD

I'm stuck on the Bunker section of the Story Dx I can't get past the freaking giant wheel with the electric logs.

M.K

Level 55
Hey guys, you know how Nintendo has the "Wi-Fi USB Connector" in order to establish a link if you don't have normal internet?
Does the PS3 offer anything like that?
I've been thinking about getting a PS3 and Little Big Planet, but I don't wanna get it and then realize that I can't get online with it. (All the people in my family have laptops, and we don't have a home modem connection, my mom has a Verizon Wireless aircard)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
My PS3 will only freeze if I am playing it for a long span of time, like 6 hours straight or so. I have a fan under it too to keep it cool, so no idea what's up with that. I'd call Sony ASAP for all of your issues.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Ok, so I bought a PS3 like a month ago. Recently, a couple times now, when I pop a disc in, nothing happens. This happens with all my games. The next day or whatever, they work normally, then they might freeze during gameplay and then nothing happens when I pop them in.

I'm guessing I've probably got to get it serviced?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Since no one posted in the Killzone 2 topic, I got Killzone 2 in the mail.

The game is AMAZING. Every skirmish with the enemies feels like a war movie.

bored

Smash Ace
I just finished the campaign today, and I honestly, I don't think it's worthy of all the praise it's been getting. I think the biggest problem is the story, I'm not sure how exactly, but it just seems weak and not very exciting. Controls are fairly decent. Visuals are fantastic, although the atmopshere reminds me of Fallout 3... yuck.

I also found the final boss to be a big disappointment too.

--

Has anyone played Flower? Absolutely amazing.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Since no one posted in the Killzone 2 topic, I got Killzone 2 in the mail.

The game is AMAZING. Every skirmish with the enemies feels like a war movie.

hmm sounds interesting. I might trade in some old stuff to get it. I heard some of the abilities of the classes are kinda broke like that cloak badge thing lol

also Valkyria Chronicles is a GREAT game. I highly recommend it even if you're not a fan of SRPGs/JRPGs

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I just finished the campaign today, and I honestly, I don't think it's worthy of all the praise it's been getting. I think the biggest problem is the story, I'm not sure how exactly, but it just seems weak and not very exciting. Controls are fairly decent. Visuals are fantastic, although the atmopshere reminds me of Fallout 3... yuck.

I also found the final boss to be a big disappointment too.

--

Has anyone played Flower? Absolutely amazing.
The campaign mode is like Battlefield 1942's: unimportant other than to get you initiated. Try the multiplayer. That's where the game shines.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
Agreed on VC

hmm sounds interesting. I might trade in some old stuff to get it. I heard some of the abilities of the classes are kinda broke like that cloak badge thing lol

also Valkyria Chronicles is a GREAT game. I highly recommend it even if you're not a fan of SRPGs/JRPGs
Yeah the VC demo was great I'll get the real thing sometime when RE5 and SF4 aren't priorties.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
RE5 is a priority?

The controls were so awful. Walking while aiming was last gen, Capcom. Why the **** can't I do that in your new game, *****es?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Has anybody gotten Noki Noki Boy yet? I know it's come out by now, but I haven't really heard many things about it. The few things I have heard have been positive, but I want to hear a few more people's reactions to it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I might get Noki Noki boy, if the price ever comes down. I refuse to buy a game system for $400 (right now), even if there is never a price cut.

Anyway, no opinion on Noki Noki boy (as I can't have it yet), but I heard about it and saw some videos. You do realize there are no objectives in the game whatsoever, right?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The game is pretty neat. It's $10 to mess around in a world like Katamari Damacy. DLC will be coming, and the no objectives is true. You do whatever you want.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Yeah, a friend and I played the RE5 demo. I'm not looking forward to the game much at all anymore. I can't be the only person who felt it was 'RE4... IN AFRICA!!"

I swear even the animations were carbon copies.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Yeah, a friend and I played the RE5 demo. I'm not looking forward to the game much at all anymore. I can't be the only person who felt it was 'RE4... IN AFRICA!!"

I swear even the animations were carbon copies.
Wait, if Resident Evil is in Africa...

Zombie elephants? Zombie lions? A stampede of Zombie Rhinocerouses?

All of a sudden I see a lot of potential for the zombie African safari motiff.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Infamous looks good but to me there doesn't seem to be a lot of variety in the attacks you have.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Does anyone do ad-hoc party and perhaps have Monster Hunter Freedom 2? There's not a thread on it, but this seems like the place to ask.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Infamous demo is out. I am so glad I pre-ordered this game. The controls are really fluid and easy, and the environment looks really rich and alive. Hopefully, the CGIs get polished a bit, but really, it looks like a fun, gorgeous game.

Also, get on PSN ASAP (it may be too late actually). Sprint has made Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic free. Great little game.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The demo was great because it showed you doing a regular mission, getting to a mission (which required going through the awesome town), doing a side quest, and then, yet another mission. The demo felt really good to play, and I had fun fighting the enemies. In Spider-Man games, where you can go around like this, all the enemies are either not fun because they are easy, or to hard to take constantly, and I found these enemies to be just the right level. Also, they were pretty sparse. I can see myself playing through this game a few times.

Top Bottom