• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing with chaingrabs limited.

Teh Future

Smash Master
It seems to me like more and more tournaments are banning Ice Climbers chaingrabs. I haven't really thought about it much before, but now that I face myself possibly going to a tournament that currently has them listed as limited to three grabs Im wondering what the best ways to bypass this is (what to do once you've grabbed someone) and if their should be any changes in my playstyle in general (punishing things with aerials and smashes rather than dodging and going for a grab).

It seems to me like whenever chaingrabs are limited it just causes people to not play Ice Climbers at all (Hylian). I don't really understand why a TO would ban chaingrabs at this point in the metagame when they are obviously not broken, but it is happening, and I would hate to see the majority of people drop Ice Climbers because their grabs are being limited. I thought this topic would be a good idea to discuss what changes should/need to come when playing with limited chaingrabs.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Play Metaknight and Plank, or abuse the rules exact words (just limited to 3 althrows in a row, why not just do 2-3 althrows, pummel once or twice and repeat)...

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
altgrab limit? nevermind. go on hobbling =)

but srsly. if all infinites from the ic´s were banned i think i would not play them. too much training effort for nothing.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
yeah its going to suck soooo bad if all tournys start banning IC's cg's cuz i have practiced for long to get it to perfection and i would hate it for it to be limited to only 3...

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Message me on AIM. I make it a point to find ways to evade rules. I've found ways around so many rules here in NY, they just gave up. I'm sure I've seen your rule and beaten it, or can come up with something for it.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Popo Dthrow -> Nanaspike -> Popo Iceblock reset -> Popo regrab, isn't banned, right?

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Chain grabs have been limited to 5 here in Houston since the 2nd tourny I went to. It's not too big if a deal really, if you know how to use more than just their chain grabs.

Besides, you can still Popo Dthrow, Nana Fair, Ice Block > Regrab, or if they know how to tech, use it as a tech chase.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
People hate ice climbers they Once they get ***** by them they will do anything to stop them :\
Thats why i play more lucas nowadays

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
whats this about no chaingrabs?

lol its like as soon as someone says that all of you fall to the ground and cry "WHAT DO WE DO NOW!?"

you could just learn to **** without them... just a thought.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If they put a 3 grab limit, then practice Dthrow > Fthrow > Bthrow footstool IB. It works on every character and the timing is easy if nana is behind you(which she will be after the fthrow). For heavies use the bthrow hobble.

Teh Future

Smash Master
If they put a 3 grab limit, then practice Dthrow > Fthrow > Bthrow footstool IB. It works on every character and the timing is easy if nana is behind you(which she will be after the fthrow). For heavies use the bthrow hobble.
This is que I use on heavies, I haven't ever tried hobblin any light characters like ever though lol. The tournament actually isn't banning them anymore, but I still think that if Lain continues to improve and other people keep doing well in tournies with them then TO might start to get pressure to ban them, which is =(

Still I think this topic should stay up and be used to discuss different strategies that can be used when grabs are limited. Hylian's sounds perfect as long as hobbling light characters isn't very hard(?) I don't know though, I have no problem doing it to heavies, but Ive always been bad at footstooling anything with other characters, it just seems random to me.

KarateF22

Smash Journeyman
I actually use that chainthrow for meta knight because its easiest for me.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
for footstooling light characters i prefer fthrow hobbling

dash in forward direction (and hold it) and immidiatly after that u have to mash the jumpbutton. its very easy to me.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I win matches without grabs. Yayuhzz

Grabs are helpful though. Use 'em for low% combos with fair, and for kills.

There are other ways to rack up damage between 30% and 100%. Quite quickly too (especially if people are trying to avoid grabs)

meepxzero

Smash Master
itll get banned especially if i ever beat m2k with it (took a round off him at the last big tourney and hes pretty scared to fight me in tourney now) >_>.

if the metagame evolves more and infinites stay im pretty sure ic have an even match up vs mk.

lain

Smash Master
Maybe I'll beat Mew2King at WHOBO, who knows.

or I'll get *****. lawlz.

BUT I did take him down to last stock mid percent in the two friendlies we did at COT4, and I've improved a LOT since then. But ehhh we'll see. Friendlies aren't exactly serious businezz.

:colorful:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
If they ban it, it will be more sweeter when I **** their rules and death them anyway.

I know some tourneys in NY that got it limited or banned.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Lain, after Dojo knocks M2K into losers, you should go into losers on purpose just to beat him.

Just sayin'.

:).

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Lain's got this. We all know that M2K can't win matchups he doesn't know.

The first time.

Then he adapts and never loses again >_>

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I'm not a IC main but I do think that limiting and banning the chaingrab is utter BS. If someone gets grab ***** then it's their fault. I mean I've gotten stomped on by Lain and Omniswell's IC's and I was more or less like "My fault for getting grabbed." If they ban or limit the grabs they defeat the purpose of the IC's. Thus making them less effective. Seems like a scheme to make Meta Knight the only option for tournaments. lol :laugh:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Wario is an excellent character that is very good at "not getting grabbed."

There are many strategies with other characters that can do this as well

such as teh super gay dair camping by mk LOL

Teh Future

Smash Master
^I found that out first hand :(

In other news, fawk ice climbers vs metaknight, Im going Didda Kong from now on. Bananas >> dumb spam.

nasir123

Smash Ace
alroght well this has happend to me several times and i still plaed at least top ten

i do two chaingrabd starting with popo and when the oppponent returns to em' then is do a fotstool to ice block reset and then repeat . trust me it works and it is a lot easir but for some chars the ice block will knock em far and sometimes it doesn't do any damage so make sure u do it wisely and trust me man i am an offline player and i go 2 big tourny's and place well trust me it works also use de- synque ice blast wall of pain and slowly move forward it is a nice tactic because it allows you to do a possible 32 damage and can get u an easy grab use these tactics and you could be an ambrose xD

Teh Future

Smash Master
^Yeah I don't know the tournament I plan on going to never set up a rule, but I think if a TO was serious about banning them they would include footstools.

Top Bottom