• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plairnkk's Guide to playing Sheik! Icies vid up 3/23/07

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
thats reverse needle cancelling and you just jump, hit the opposite direction of that ur facing, and hit b. you just cant do it at the same time, or else ull chain

itsneverfair

Smash Cadet
sry if it's already somewhere but can you post up the percentages for which every char can be chain grabbed? and for fastfallers do you upthrow at low percentages?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
itsneverfair uthrow never works as a chaingrab, as a general rule of thumb cging will work 15-60 or so then ppl can usually DI out. Some chars are higher and such, but im not 100% sure on %'s. Ask m2k. :p

_milktea

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's a good way of thinking until you realize there's craploads of CGing in Sheik dittoes. That's how it went for me, so now I've just arrived at the conclusion that I'm doomed vs sheiks :)

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Lil... you could always l2cg...>.>

Boss... you should main Doc, he's a better character.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
ness and link can get CGed til like... 90%. you can cg pikachu until like 90% and finish it off with a usmash. Not 100% on that since it's been a long long time since I played a Pika (and he wasn't even good), but meh.

BTW, I played a very good Kirby for about 3 hours last night, and while Sheik has a big advantage, 90% is likely overstating it.

At low %s, a grab is 45ish percent on him. The best way to get in a grab is wait for him to do an aerial, space well, needle him before he hits the ground when he's done / finishing his aerial, and grab. Hit once, dthrow. He'll DI away. Chain grab him. Hit once, dthrow. He'll likely DI in. Usmash. If he DIs away, chain grab again.

At low percentages Kirby is destroyed by grab --> cg ---> usmash or nair or fair. If they mess up the DI on the usmash when he's in the 20s, you can follow up with a uair.

Kirby won't die to a dthrow uair until about 90%, assuming they DI very well.

Edge guarding kirby is more difficult than you implied, because a Kirby capitalizes very well off an inexperienced Sheik's edge guarding. But once you have it down, it's ridiculously easy / broken. Kirby likes to come in for below, but low enough where jumping down from the ledge and bair won't usually work. Sometimes it's best to not necessarily wait until he's up bing to nair him, but the jump or two jumps before he has to up b.

You didn't mention it buy dair owns Kirby so badly. It goes through all his moves but utilt, uair, and a well-spaced bair. And when it hits, it's an easy uair, which is obviously the easiest way to kill Kirby.

Kirby's favorite approach are usually perfectly spaced fairs, whichi you really can't do anything about since it outprioritizes everything. Instead, try to space his attack off well so you can counterattack -- dsmash works really well and I find myself dsmashing a lot v Kirby because there's not much he can do about it. Sheik's CC owns Kirby quite hard. If Kirby is even slightly off in his bair or fair angles, dsmash hits him out of it.

Kirby is also horrendous at stopping needles, so I like to charge needles, throw them when he lands, which usually hit since his aerial manueverability is garbage, and then do it some more. 18% means a ton to Kirby, since you'll be killing him around 100 or earlier (stage dependant).

Usmash is also godly if you can get his tech right or something to that extent. That will kill him around 70%.

I know few people are going to play a good Kirby, but when I did I was confused, so I may as well add in my experience.

EDIT: I'd like a more in-depth Mario if you care enough. MArio's so much faster than Doc that I'm trying to play him like DOc and I'm off-balanced. If I played him more often I obviously could adjust, but just saying -- I think they're pretty different.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Ness can't be chaingrabbed to 90, it's more like 30... >_>

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
yeah ness can get out really low iirc, like 30-50 tops. I dont even really know what to say about mario. ive realized my style against everyone but fastfallers is pretty universal, lol. >_<

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Kirby can double jump out of Sheik's d-throw at fairly low percents if they DI properly. Unless the Kirby is dumb and doesn't know that, it's better to just get an aerial out of a grab or u-smash if they really, really, really mess up the DI but I imagine that wouldn't happen all that often.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Iono, he's a better player than me and the best Kirby in so cal (though that isn't saying much), and he kept *****ing how he couldn't do anything =/

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Tell him to push up and away on the joystick after Sheik throws Kirby.

I kind of think Kirby's crouch should be respected in the Sheik/Kirby matchup, since it messes up her grab game and tilt combos, but then again Sheik can win vs Kirby by just running around spamming needles and needle grabs and win really freaking easily so it's kind of moot.

Also Kirby tends to recover from below the stage so being patient with ledgehopped n-airs or b-airs works. Just wait for the cutter. There's no hitbox at the vertex of the cutter so just wait for it and hit them then. You will want to hit them, though, because they can probably see you edgehogging and will likely be going for the stage.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
How to win the easy way versus Kirby:

Spam needles. Run away. Spam needles. Run away. Needle grab for the kill. Stick to N-air and SHFFLed F-airs if you're trying to hit him from the air for whatever reason. Avoid actually fighting because you really don't have to and the more you fight the closer this matchup becomes to an actual match. Edgeguard with ledgehopped N-air or B-air. Run away a lot. Spam needles. Needle camp.

Don't let him do "Funny Business" and by that I mean be cautious at the edge and if he's stalling near the edge or trying to get you to follow him, don't. Toss needles at him. If he's going out of his way to head to the edge, he's probably trying to suicide-KO you. Kirby's only efficient KOs come from edgeguarding or suicides so don't let him do either. Spam needles and don't be afraid to camp. Remember: Kirby is horrible at dealing with projectile spam off speedy characters, horrible at KOing until high percentages and if you trade hits with him in actual combat you're playing to his strengths, his main strengths in this matchup being his overextended grab range, crouching height and CCed Tilts and D-smash.

If you avoid actual fighting (hint: Don't be grounded and don't try to tilt combo him unless you want to take damage) and just play a really simple hit/run game with needle grabbing, high priority aerials, lagless aerials and needle camping (obviously you're going to have to fight at random intervals but avoid those and rack up free damage because it's easier to win that way) you'll destroy him fairly badly because he really doesn't have an answer to any of those; especially the needles. He's basically forced to mess up his approach to get out of the way (or he eats about 18-22% off grabs, which is quite a bit when Kirby's killed at 90%). And if the sheer presence of needles is messing up his approach, you've probably already won half the battle.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I want some footage of some Jigglypuff rapage by Plank. :(

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
too bad whenever i try to record vs jiggs players they decline.

prolly cuz i **** them too bad X.X

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
****, dude. You have to stop asking. Just be like, I'm going to randomly put my camera here and not record.... hold on gotta hit the record button, okay ready. :X

itsneverfair

Smash Cadet
uh does anyone ever shffl dairs? is it possible to get the entire hitbox out (her full leg extension) or is there not enough time in the short hop?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
You can do a short hop dair. You just can't ff it... I think. I have never been able to get a shffl'ed dair in so I'm going with that.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
i ffl dairs, i only use them on stupid comps who stand there and let me hit them. They are so aloof to anything directly above them coming down at high velocity lol.

All_Characters

Smash Apprentice
despite the entertainment value of the explaination of Down B right now, its probably good to point out that using it to get back to the edge, and then changing back to shiek directly afterward is helpful (something i didnt know until i saw someone.....maybe DSF do it or something)
First of all the Down+B thing was hilarious.

Secondly, while doing the down+B to save you CAN help. You have to know when you can live. Because if you die anyways, and you transform just as you come back to life, you will lose your invinsibility.

Third, I disagree with the Shiek vs. Shiek matchup. Sheik has a distinct advantage if shes able to "out-attack" sheik when they are both running towards each other. I'd say this one is 70% for shiek. Please make the change.

Finally, I do realise that it is spelled SHEIK, but I before E should always be excercised.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
I main both Shiek & Pichu

For fighting pichu the only thing you have to watch out for is GRABS. A good pichu will tech chase you because you're thrown so low and need to tech or safure f-smash and your tech leads to up-smash. And nairs are dangerous at higher %.

Needling is quite difficult as well. :)

SandStorm7

Smash Cadet
I can't beat my sheik friend as Ness but I usually do win as peach. Some of those percentages are really discouraging. Sheik is more fun to play when you switch between her and zelda in my opinion. Anyway an interesting read.

Ares726

Smash Ace
Needs more update imo. Nah, take your time. Good stuff with Pound man. I heard it was the best tournament ever run. Congrats.

Top Bottom