• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Tournament Results (UPDATED!: 4/24/11)

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
esam didnt meant to fastfall, looked like a jump thunder would have hit nana squarly. also to confirm, for someone in amatuer bracket, should i add the pool placing and the amateur bracket, or if they did amateur should i not include the main placing? sorta seems unfair to give two placings to people who didnt make the main bracket

Roller

Smash Legend
I mean, they did pay 2 seperate entrance fees. And Kenny and Sassy and people mentioned to me that they didn't seed the bracket by pool results. So they were actually entirely separate tournies, just this one (amateur) had a stipulation to be able to join.

And I didn't get to meet Luckay either. =[

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It was Ally's last stock and My last stock. He was at like 50% or something and I was at like 100%. I was gonna kill nana for sure, and then have a 1v1 pika popo. Blech, I could've done better. Snipa is gonna start playing IC again for the MU

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yeah it was definitly allys last stock and im very sure esam would have won at that point. and if there was a separate pot and cost for the amateur bracket thats good enough for me

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I coulda sworn I saw your tag roller, but it was just a quick glance while I was looking for a setup to play a MM on, and then I never saw you again, sorry. =[

Roller

Smash Legend
I actually saw you playing too, but I was looking for a TV to play an amateur bracket match on, wasn't able to find you after. I'm sure we'll meet eventually though.

Also, Esam may very well have won that game at that point. But to be quite honest, he didn't deserve for it to be that close. Ally dropped like 8941 grabs.

But next time Esam, next time you aren't turning me down on that mm. =p

SAX

Smash Ace
It was Ally's last stock and My last stock. He was at like 50% or something and I was at like 100%. I was gonna kill nana for sure, and then have a 1v1 pika popo. Blech, I could've done better. Snipa is gonna start playing IC again for the MU
Playing 2djeffs ics is what you need =P

you could prolly get ahold of him if he comes to ZP again.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
>_> What I need to do is actually have practice. I haven't played an IC since 2djeff, and I was already playing bad since Snipa quit them for Lucario. I need practice sometimes guys.

SAX

Smash Ace
He beats Jeff.

What he needs to do is watch vids of pikapika playing the mu.
And esam beats snipa... What's your point?
He's a good ic player with a different style of play than most others. So it'd be good to practice up with snipa's style and jeffs style.
But yeah I agree, pikapika plays the my very well.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
lol! that was one of the worst sets Ive seen that far into bracket at a national. That includes how ally played too.

Roller

Smash Legend
And esam beats snipa... What's your point?
He's a good ic player with a different style of play than most others. So it'd be good to practice up with snipa's style and jeffs style.
But yeah I agree, pikapika plays the my very well.
Let me get this straight. You acknowledge that esam beats Snipa (as do I), and that he beats Jeff.

Yet he loses to an ICs that couldn't cg him for his life, doesn't main ICs, doesn't second ICs, has no pikachu experience as ICs; and you think Snipa and Jeff are good ICs players that provide "good practice?"

The evidence supporting your claim is clearly overwhelming.

I've also seen both Snipa and Jeff play ESAM. I can tell you 3 fundamentally incorrect ways each of them approach the matchup right off the bat. Not the least of which is that neither of them ever pivot grab him at all. Which is absolutely huge in the ICs vs Pika mu.

SAX

Smash Ace
Let me get this straight. You acknowledge that esam beats Snipa (as do I), and that he beats Jeff.

Yet he loses to an ICs that couldn't cg him for his life, doesn't main ICs, doesn't second ICs, has no pikachu experience as ICs; and you think Snipa and Jeff are good ICs players that provide "good practice?"

The evidence supporting your claim is clearly overwhelming.

I've also seen both Snipa and Jeff play ESAM. I can tell you 3 fundamentally incorrect ways each of them approach the matchup right off the bat. Not the least of which is that neither of them ever pivot grab him at all. Which is absolutely huge in the ICs vs Pika mu.
Mmmmm okay that makes sense, I see where you are coming from. So then if esam has no good practice vs ic... Well wait. I assume esam will probably help snipa learn the mu to help himself more?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I just want to get better at gimping. I know how to play safe, I know how to wait for my opportunity, I just choked hard (Johns, but legit, you can tell the difference in how I'm playing in Matches 1/3 and match 2 against wario). I need to get better at gimping, the only reason I ever beat Snipa in his prime was that I would separate and Nana would die, as I used to preach when all the Pikachu's were going through the "IC ARE OUR HARDEST MATCHUP" thing I'm sure you all remember.

I'll tell Snipa/Jeff to pivot grab more. Do you guys have any other advice? It would help them which, more importantly for the Pikachus, would help me.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
remember to jump when you thunder!

:troll:

Also... you should try to avoid being grabbed more... You got grabbed i dunno how much times, i lost count.

Guess you should ban FD against Ally too.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Stealth should say something about the matchup. He's easily the best Pika I've played at countering ICs. Although he goes ROB against me recently. Ironically, he's also the best ROB I've played at beating IC's as well haha.

He was so good at separating and jamming my desync game that i had to figure out new and faster ways to make grab setups to counter him :\

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Being patient is one thing, but you were playing too scared. There's a huge difference in the way you used to play ICs (vs cheese) and how you played allys ICs. Cheese might not be the best but theres no reason to be able to beat players like cheese and hylian and lose to Allys. I could understand if Allys ICs were better at the MU or overall, but theyre not.

Back when I was coming off a hiatus and semi-comaining ICs I had lost to an IC player in tournament, so I did a lot of research. Here's some conclusions I came to. Some of its obvious, but Ill put it down anyways.

Things you should always be thinking about when you fight ice climbers
1)Always go after nana

2)Really always go after nana
Even if popo is standing right next to you ready to eat an fsmash (tempting as it may be) always go after nana. You have a really good idea of what nana will do both before and after she's hit and she basically allows you to follow up for free. PoPo can dodge, counter attacks, or DI and react intelligently after being hit and prevent follow ups. There's very few expections to this rule, but one important one is if it might lead to your death and even then its sometimes worth it.

3)The range where popo can control nanas movement is very small.
As an example, if pika is dsmashing nana; popo needs to impractically close (very nearly inside) the dsmash to control her DI. Thisll stop nana's DI too if popo falls out before nana. And as far as DI's concerned, its hard for popo to control nanas without screwing with his own movement, especially with multihit moves.

4)Popos control of nana is not perfect especially if theyre not exactly together.
The same mechanic that allows them to desynch also prevents perfect control of nana. While it's possible to just focus on nana's movement, you cant have both do what you want them to without effecting the other. Using dsmash as an example again, if they DI out they might be seperated, and if theyre already semi-seperated odds are greater. And if popo DIs out first.

5)Nana by herself moves very predictably.
More on that later.

[3,4&5 mostly concern dsmash and/or what you should be thinking about when nana and popo are separated or being separated.]

6)Thunder is pikas best nana killing tool.
When thunder hits you you have 5 frames of vulnerability afterwards. If you hop in the air (short enough so t2 still hits the ground below you) youre free from being grabbed. Even if you don't, t1 is disjointed as it hits pika and ICs disjoints arent enough to get around it well, let alone grabbing.

7)FD is pikas best neutralish stage so always think about how to abuse it
Mostly because of 6. Same applies for other good IC fighting stages...and sort of the bad ones.

hmm, ill finish this later.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i still consider ics my current second worst matchup, and im switching to rob because you are getting to the point where you are doing very well vs my pika :p either way time to update

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Even though it's not pikachu related, your ROB was much better at anti IC's than a vVv rob and mr e's rob.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah, I can sometimes beat Seibrik's MK or NR's ZSS, but then sometimes I just get 3 stocked @_@

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Hey stealth, you made a mistake in the tournament details section, looks like you copied Captain L's performance at Gameclucks and pasted it with my name lol. There's no way I'd be in Washington.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I go half and half. Pikachu on aposl and my first opponent while pit on junebug and whoever knocked me out I forget. It just says pit because I usually use him more. Ive yet to go all pika in tourney, maybe my next one on the 25th I will

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Luckay, you going to that tourney tomorrow?

EDIT: I'm actually not sure if I'm going anymore, but if I do, we should keep an eye out for each other. :)

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Aww you shoulda gone! I'm actually surprised a bunch of Oos said they'd come and no one but MD/VA showed up lol. You should come to baltimore for xanadu on the 26th!

Anyway, I got 13th out of 33 at MD/VA vs the World

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298914

I feel like I'm getting worse so I'm taking a short break so I can deplete some bad habits when I go to my next tourney.

EDIT: Actually I think you're going to whobo and you probably wouldn't want to go straight to another out of state after a national lol.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Nobody from PA ended up going since the ride situation got ****ed up. =\

& yeah, I doubt I'll be at Xanadu, but we'll see. Maybe if I win WHOBO. :awesome:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
3/12/11
1st out of 29 @ ESAM's ZP Monthlies: Destruction

I used IC in more single matches, but I closed out more sets with Pikachu (Finished beating Cedrick, 8bitman, Seibrik, and Trump, as opposed to DJ Jack and Chaz.

Twas fun. MVD and I won doubles as well.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I went ICs (And won)

1st game against Seibrik
1st game against Trump
Both games vs DJ Jack
All games of GF (3-1 me)

Top Bottom