• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu: A discussion

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
doesn't even have to be tailspike...while pika's moves are almost combo unusable due to the knockback...the knockback happens to be useful when edgeguarding =p

and tires don exits...from playing both pikachu and fox, i can conclude that pikachu = fox and would do just as well against sheik as fox would (/sarcasm)

Tero.

Smash Champion
What stages would you counterpick/ban against YLink, Yoshi, Zelda, Pichu and Mewtwo ?

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
What stages would you counterpick/ban against YLink, Yoshi, Zelda, Pichu and Mewtwo ?
I really don't think....any of those characters require specific strategizing. Unless you were playing someone specifically known for one of those characters, which is a pretty slim list, I wouldn't go too out of my way there.

Ban what your worst stage is, or in my case, ban Yoshi's Story all the time. Maybe ban Battlefield against Mewtwo, I dunno.

As far as counterpicking, I mean...small stages against light characters, but remember you're light too.

****, I wish people played those characters against me.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I only play Pikachu in Lowtier tournaments (which are pretty famous in germany), so yeah there is a pretty good chance that i have to play those characters (especially ylink).

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I would go Dreamland vs Young Link; the fact that he can't kill gives you a huge advantage. Pikachu already lives fairly long on that stage, and even longer vs YLink. Pika can still tailspike him, and u-smash kill at reasonable percentages.

N64

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'd say dreamland for all of the above. You'll live longer than they do, and most of them are pretty gimpable. You can take mewtwo elsewhere (not battlefield lol), as he likes low ceilings (uthrow) and wide sides (long recovery) about as much as you.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
YLink, prolly Battlefield so he can't hookshot recover as easily. Although I can see the Dreamland thing working out pretty well in the end.
Yoshi, find a level with far-out blastlines on the side so you can recover and he can't. Probably Dreamland again. Although moving stages are pretty good against him.
Zelda and Mewtwo, don't go Dreamland, maybe ban BF so there's no glitchiness. I'd probably just choose FD, FoD or something easy along those lines.
Pichu, just go wherever you're comfortable winning. He's worse at everything than you, so there's nothing to really focus on.

N64

Smash Champion
Correct. On the rare occasion I play brawl, I play lucario. And usually lose lol. Melee for life.

Flandy121

Smash Apprentice
Can we discuss pika game play because I have some questions. I like to approach with a thunderbolt in singles. Anther usually approaches with an aerial, fast fall, L-canceled so does that mean that is the best approach? I'm talking low percentages BTW. 0-20%

Milos

Smash Lord
gold and silver were all right...but pokemon was all about the first 151 pokemon! pikachu was always the greatest though...i mean, what kind of psychopath doesn't like pikachu? =p
i'm sorry no offense but it's a very oversaid thing to like the first 151 pokemon only

Gold and Silver were by far the most well made games of the pokemon series, and the pokemon themselves were the most imaginitive.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
mmm i think i was referring to the tv series as well ><" my bad. at any rate, although the later versions were far better made, i enjoyed blue/red the most probably cuz i was like... 8 or something at the time and liked pokemon a lot more XD

that said, everybody go check out the new tier list...it's stickied in the general melee forum =D

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Is it possible to combo with SH u-air n-air (as you land)? I'm thinking maybe tailspike someone on a platform, n-air as they slide off.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I think that they might slide off faster than you could even get the nair out (if you can even get the nair out in the first place).

Also, wtf happened to the pika boards? I came before a long time ago and there were tons of threads but then I come back and there's like 10-11 threads. What happened?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I think that they might slide off faster than you could even get the nair out (if you can even get the nair out in the first place).
You can get the n-air out right before landing, but it's true that it might not be fast enough... I still need to test it. :S

Also, wtf happened to the pika boards? I came before a long time ago and there were tons of threads but then I come back and there's like 10-11 threads. What happened?
Brawl.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
basically. ;)

Go to the bottom of the forum where it says 'Display Options', change it from last two months to the beginning.

N64

Smash Champion
So I have a new development.

My long time teammate Kwan has switched teams mains from DK to Fox. As such, our old teams name is no longer fitting. In keeping with the theme, we've altered our name from Donkachu to Pikox. I think that's pretty fantastic.

festizzio

Smash Champion
hey guys remember that little moon walk thing that pika had, i forget what we named it. anyway, i learned how to use it to edgehog if you're running from the other direction. you have to time it perfectly before the ledge and jump right before you reach the very edge of the stage. kind of like how you can jc fox's shine into a ledge hog, it cancels the jumping animation. at least i think that's what happens.

Skler

Smash Master
Every thread on the pika board is about a specific player, yet there isn't a thread about N64.

Make one.

On topic: Pikachu.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
hey, can i get some opinions on how reliable pika's fair is for leading into grabs, smashes etc? cuz at lower percents, nair --> smash/uair is really good, but i like the range on pika's fair...so yeah, any thoughts?

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Personally, I only use it as a ledgehopped attack into grabs. If you want to use it in that sense it's only really reliable on fastfallers, although sometimes it works on mids or floaties at lower percentages.
I don't think the extra range is that great in any other circumstances considering that you still don't have a disjoint and are therefore pretty much outclassed and outprioritized by anything that would beat your nair. If you want extra range, I would just use bair. Of course, if it fits your playstyle, go for it.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
oh snap, percent and weight/falling speed make a difference? shoot, i never thought of that...i always figured there was like next to no knockback and it was just some stun time

Top Bottom