• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu: A discussion

festizzio

Smash Champion
There is no ninja headband Pikachu, unless we're speaking of that game that shouldn't be spoken of on these boards.

We don't take kindly to Brawl sympathizers here.
Whatever. If you want to hate Brawl then that's fine. Just don't bring it here. We all love Pikachu, no matter what game he's in. :)

AXE 09

Smash Master
I don't ever remember them being very active... heck, even the Brawl Pika boards are pretty dead. I guess nobody wants to play as him anymore. :(
get outta here! pikachu's still number 1 in my book!

...ok well actually to be honest... i still play pikachu in brawl, but he's not my main =( but he's still my main in melee lol. pika rox

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I actually don't think Pikachu is improved at all in Brawl when you look at it from a Melee player's standpoint. I mean, you have to learn how to play as him again, and in the end he isn't the same character. There's none of the things that made him so impressive in his own way back in Melee (it still bugs me that we lost uair semispike). Even quick attack tricks aren't that great anymore since the ledge is pretty much automatically sweetspotted. With Brawl, you lose the satisfaction of things like destroying a Marth or Fox with a low tier character.

festizzio

Smash Champion
I actually don't think Pikachu is improved at all in Brawl when you look at it from a Melee player's standpoint. I mean, you have to learn how to play as him again, and in the end he isn't the same character. There's none of the things that made him so impressive in his own way back in Melee (it still bugs me that we lost uair semispike). Even quick attack tricks aren't that great anymore since the ledge is pretty much automatically sweetspotted. With Brawl, you lose the satisfaction of things like destroying a Marth or Fox with a low tier character.
Are you kidding? He's insanely better. You don't have to worry about "destroying" a marth or a fox with a low tier because you're destroying them with a high tier.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
yeah, festizzio's right. pikachu is definately improved as a character: more power, more priority, relatively faster?, more range, etc. it'd be hard to argue that pika hasn't been buffed, even with the loss of his uair semi spike. and even if he still had it, everybody's **** floatiness and better recovery and the new edge sweetspot physics will help them get back on anyway. but i still have to agree, he's not the same character. =p

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I don't mean to say that he wasn't buffed in Brawl because he clearly was. The point is that he really isn't as fun to play as because, now that he's high tier material, everyone knows exactly what he has to offer. You can surprise people with what he can do a lot better when he's off the radar in low tier.

festizzio

Smash Champion
I don't mean to say that he wasn't buffed in Brawl because he clearly was. The point is that he really isn't as fun to play as because, now that he's high tier material, everyone knows exactly what he has to offer. You can surprise people with what he can do a lot better when he's off the radar in low tier.
While I disagree with you on the reasons, I definitely agree that he's not as fun to play. Although I don't think it's Pikachu, it's just Brawl. :laugh:

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Two questions for any of you that are still active:

What is the use of Pikachu's wavedash? I know it's an alternative to dashdancing and you can wavedash onto the edge and all that good stuff, but I haven't really seen any Pikachu-specific techs used.

When should fair be used? To me it just seems like a useless move. It does poor damage, must be l-canceled, has no knockback, and it can be DI-ed out of.

-Chad-

Slackerator
I just wavedash to space pretty much...standard stuff.

I use f-air against some characters like Peach and Marth sometimes.. =x just so I can have a little bit of extra reach even though I don't like approaching those characters.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I use fair to transition into jabs or dsmash or a grab or something. If I expect an aerial approach to be shielded, though, I opt for the nair instead.

N64

Smash Champion
I wish pika's fair had a slightly longer hitbox in front of him, fsmash lasted more than 3 frames (even like 5 would be fine), and the last hitbox of uair sent them sliiiiightly higher.

That's about it. maybe a couple frames less lag on fair, just so it could lead more reliably into grabs->usmash.
yay melee pika.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Are any of you going to Florida in july? Cause I'm going and it would be awesome to meet some other Pikachu players; it gets lonely in Cali. T_T

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
the video was pretty awesome. i recognize a few of those clips from the electric shuffle =p

-edit
yeah, let's talk. uhm...so who here feels really bad at the game when they're beaten by their younger sister who doesn't used any advanced techs at all? not that she button-mashes or anything, she's just got good spacing...and i mean GOOD spacing. and she knows me really well, won't let me play on the edge anymore...which i shouldn't be doing against a marth in the first place but meh...

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Melee is fun, Brawl is funny. Fun lasts, funny isn't funny very long.

@PsychpathicEmus

How old is your sister? And I'll ask the obligatory "Is she hot?"

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Spamming projectiles and watching your opponent get frustrated is always funny. Also it makes them give up on Brawl faster so we can switch back to Melee.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
Brawl is bad and I think that most of the good competitive players in Brawl right now will end up playing Melee again eventually.

Top Bottom