• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's 27% according to the Falco boards.... I think K 2 is right.

Also, Stealth, you fail at reading. <333

GreenAce

Smash Ace
It's 27% according to the Falco boards.... I think K 2 is right.

Also, Stealth, you fail at reading. <333
Yeah I was like what the **** was he was talking about.:confused: Thanks for the help everyone i'm going my first tourny and I just needed know how how get out of that annoying chaingrab. I'll try my best to rep pikachu.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
*hides the body* *whistle*

Good luck at your tournament, GreenAce! Show them all just how **** Pika can be. :)

supermario27mx

Smash Ace
IDK if this was bad DI on behalf of the other player or something new (at least to me). on sunday at a tournament I used Dsmash at the ledge against a kirby on halberd and dude got sent downward sliding along the hull/bow? of the ship and didnt come back. Tried it on FD against a TLink in friendlies later on and the same thing happened.
Is it bad DI or is it a known trick??

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You can stage spike/hit people downwards with dsmash if their invincibility wears off and they keep hanging on the ledge. The Kirby player probably could have teched off the stage and lived, though. (I'm just assuming so from your description.)

I rarely go for it, though. It's a pretty weak spike unless you somehow time it so that the last hit of dsmash -- the one with all the knockback -- gets them.

K 2

Smash Lord
Yeah, its useful against ledgecampers, but its not really applicable in a fight.

GreenAce

Smash Ace
*hides the body* *whistle*

Good luck at your tournament, GreenAce! Show them all just how **** Pika can be. :)
Thank for the support I'll try my hardest to **** with pika, I feel once I got DI down and if my nerves don't get the better of me I have a good shot at placing high , wish me luck.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
There was a really campy Donkey Kong at the last tourney I went to. I had him at 1-1 and he counterpicked Luigi's Mansion. He got on the bottom floor and just spammed down B. I couldn't get near him and couldn't projectile into the mansion. When I did go near him, he racked up a lot of damage. What should I have done?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i know this sounds dickish but what you should have done was ban Mansion :) or ran to the opposite side and send tjolts through the column. you could have also QA'd through him to interrupt him, and get close and combo him.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I assume he was on the side? If he was destroy the top pillar. He'll crash the second one or be forced to stop Down Bing. If he was in the middle destroy the mansion yourself. Just watch for him to stop and try to stop you destroying the mansion. Use quick bursts instead of things like Dsmash. You don't want to be left all laggy.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
i know this sounds dickish but what you should have done was ban Mansion :) or ran to the opposite side and send tjolts through the column. you could have also QA'd through him to interrupt him, and get close and combo him.
I honestly had never considered the Donkey Kong/Luigi's Mansion strategy.

I assume he was on the side? If he was destroy the top pillar. He'll crash the second one or be forced to stop Down Bing. If he was in the middle destroy the mansion yourself. Just watch for him to stop and try to stop you destroying the mansion. Use quick bursts instead of things like Dsmash. You don't want to be left all laggy.
I suppose I should have destroyed the mansion myself, but I was at a high percent and I was worried about his aerials.

gallax

Smash Hero
definately should have destroyed the house. that would have been the best thing so you can attack with a dair from above or wave thunder.

J4pu

Smash Champion
can I get a rough estimate for the pikachu vs IC match-up?
I tried asking in the match-up thread but they ignored me and they haven't covered it yet.

Masky

Smash Master
I find it really hard to approach ICs with Pikachu if they use desynced ice blocks, about all you can do is qac through them (which is risky) or try to angle your tjolt so that it hits them directly.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I tried asking in the match-up thread but they ignored me and they haven't covered it yet.
this matchup is disputed, some call it easy some call it hard. i would think the ics have a slight advantadge, but that is my opinion.

K 2

Smash Lord
There was a really campy Donkey Kong at the last tourney I went to. I had him at 1-1 and he counterpicked Luigi's Mansion. He got on the bottom floor and just spammed down B. I couldn't get near him and couldn't projectile into the mansion. When I did go near him, he racked up a lot of damage. What should I have done?
You should have read my stage discussion index. =P

I'll call it even. If you watch Anther, he just ledgecamps the whole match and he wins. Pikachu is really easy to CG, so if you're grabbed, you're most likely dead.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
@K2- I really didn't foresee playing at Luigi's Mansion against a DK, but I will look at it for future tournaments.

@J4pu- I used to have a lot of trouble with Ice Climbers and their chaingrab. Then, I started ledgecamping like K2 suggested. Drop down, up B back up, and sort of tempt the ICs to come and attack you. When they do, punish like there's no tomorrow. Also, you should spam tjolt while you ledgecamp. Be careful though, Ice Climbers can spam neutral b against this strategy; be ready to avoid it.

K 2

Smash Lord
You learned your lesson the hard way: Ban Weegee's Mansion.

I would ban it, but I also suck at brinstar, which usually gets my ban. If anyone ever CP's Weegee's Mansion on me, I'm going to switch to my secondary, Tornado.

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
Pika cant really do anything that special. Your limited to run away or do a risky attack.

Running away: jump or QAC
Risky attack: FF nair or dair

supermario27mx

Smash Ace
It's a pretty weak spike unless you somehow time it so that the last hit of dsmash -- the one with all the knockback -- gets them.
Thanks for clearing that up. :)
I have another question but since its more of a regional thing I understand if it goes unanswered.
Are there any great pika players in Southern California or any of you from this area?
The only pika mains I know are Miker from Bakersfield and Eno from San Diego.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I think... Tag (Tagxy) is from SoCal? I know he's from Cali, but I can't remember which part....

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
How do you Smash DI or quarter circle DI? I couldn't find a tutorial explaining how to perform any of the advanced DIs. Do you know any threads explaining advanced DI or can you explain to me?

gallax

Smash Hero
DI is really simple. you tilt your joystick in whatever direction you want. when you quarter Di it when you move your control stick 90 degrees. smash DI is when you literally smash your control stick and keep smashing it in a general direction. you can also use your c-stick for some extra push.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
the neutral worst is VERY opinion based, i have heard everyone being the worst and everyone being the best. my personal least favorite is Yoshis island. for the cps, most pikas ban it so you almost never can cp it, but its luigis mansion.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Eh, my worst neutral is between Lylat and BF. It used to be strictly Battlefield, but Lylat's platforms get in my way even more than Battlefield's..... but I like how the moving stage can screw over other people's recoveries, so it's a mixed deal.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
it is a good pika stage imo, but like i said it is really the person own opinion and how well they do. pika is just like that, he has to tools to adapt and be good on every stage, including luigis mansion. it just depends on your playstyle.

Top Bottom