• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Are we allowed to put wins on our vid threads? Is it "jerk"-ish to put wins on a rate-me thread? I have only been posting my losses up til now.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
Legendary pikachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er
I wouldn't say so. However, I'd recommend half of your videos to be those when you lost the match. It's usually easier to critique a match that the person lost.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
guys I was asking cause I thought thunder was a continous hitbox. But I grabbed pikachu out of it :0 possible Ike's pathetic grab outranged it?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
@ Mister_E: Thanks... okay... ima going to go lose more.... that makes me feel better when i lose...

*simulates match: "Ah crap I lost against M2K for the 20th time.... YAY! another vid for the brothers back online... :p:*

I have even been jabbed out of my thunder without the other person getting hurt (aka. snake and Toon link which was just stupid....). Do you have a vid of it?

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er

kirbysprite

Smash Cadet
Is there a good secondary that can take care of Pikachu's bad match-ups that is not Meta Knight?

Is Meta Knight the only one?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
lets see... what are Pika's bad match ups...

ROB, G&W, and MK... everyone else is do able now, right?

I'm doing well with Ike lol... Since he does better than Pikachu against G&W (I claim 50-50 but meh) and ROB (40-60 for Ike... 35-65 if its super duber extreme gay camping [which some people do]), MK is always a problem no matter who you are :p...... though ROB can be nasty to Ike too.. I haven't really had trouble with ROB so far. But Ike probably isn't the smartest choice... but hey I use who I want. I'm just lucky my character combination works fairly well.

I think ROB/G&W is a strong combination that is hard to get a character that beats both... in fact there is no character besides MK to beat both, but ZSS and DK both go even with them and Kirby is even with ROB and slight D against G&W.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
IIRC Marth is very hard for Pika as well.

A lot of Pika mains seem to second Marth. When I was on my "secondary search," I got advised to go with one of the following: Marth, Falco, Snake or Lucario. Mostly Marth votes though.

(In the end I went with Lucario and Zelda because I've never met a G&W who gave me a huge amount of trouble. I've never played a ridiculously good G&W though, so I may eat those words later....)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
oh crud, am I already falling behind you KayLo!? (lol)

I forgot about Marth... DK goes even with Marth so far as well.. Kirby is ***** by Marth and ZSS, Snakeee is fighting for a even match up but Marths claim 60-40...

I still use Ike for Marth... which is still suicide xD.. but not as much as Pikachu.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
^^^What Kaylo! said.
I am one of those Pika mains who seconds Marth. He's who I use to fight Pikachu's toughest battles. Marth goes even with Marth (duh?), so your Marth just has to be smarter than theirs to win. Marth goes even with ROB and boasts a rare advantage over G&W. And... Marth and Pikachu do about the same against Meta Knight so I usually stick to Pikachu for that.

Peach is who I use to fight the "annoying" match-ups- a.k.a. versus Diddy, Olimar, Pit, etc. (I know annoying is subjective).

Those are my tastes. There are definitely some reliable secondaries for Pikachu.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I use Pikachu for those annoying match ups minus Kirby lol :p they are more so annoying as Ike. (Diddy and Olimar that is)

K 2

Smash Lord
G&W is a godly secondary. He's easy to learn too.

Pikachu's bad matchups:
ROB
MK
Marth
G&W

G&W's matchups against those same characters:
(65:35)
(40:60)
(45:55)
(50:50)

G&W is bad against, MK (well, everyone is, but I feel G&W does better than most characters against MK), Snake (utter **** match that should be avoided by G&W at all cost), and Diddy (although, I don't have too much trouble against a diddy of similar skill level).

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
snake, and Rob. Rob goes even with rob so it's a matter of skill. snake kills everything else and imo has a better chance against mk than anyone else. I also use lucario but he's starting to become useless now.

gallax

Smash Hero
i use snake and marth as my other chars. marth mainly for other marths and falco's. snake for everyone who gives pika a tough time. snake and pika are great partners.

kirbysprite

Smash Cadet
Marth, Olimar, or G&W?

I don't like any of those characters...

I hate Marth in general, Olimar has bad recovery, and G&W is... is... Okay... there is something about him I don't like...

I will just stay with Snake. And if there's anyone who I still can't beat, I'll just break out MK.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
no they cannot. a constant wave of tjolts will stop grenades thrown at you, AND sometimes blow them up on top of him. snake cant really camp pika at all.
They go about even.

Mistime 1 tjolt, you lose the camp war.

Snake misses 1 shielding of a tjolt, he starts to lose the camp war.

I've outcamped Pikachu's before with grenades.

It also becomes stage dependant. We can outcamp you on Battlefield, staying on one of the platforms. :laugh:

gallax

Smash Hero
as a snake and pika main i know this matchup very well.other than stealth and anther, i can pretty much destroy pikas with my snake. stealth gives me a he*l of a run for my money and beats my snake about 70% of the time while anther is anther.

that being said, the most annoying thing as a snake player playing pika is that the pikas who dont know how to fight snake are always tjolting to no end. on wifi this is tough due to lag and the mortar slide being a little slower to get off. but, irl, this is easily countered. a simple jab or powershield does the trick here to cancel the jolts. once you do this you can time a nade to explode near the pika. this makes the pika come near you every time. if they dont...then you can keep throwing nades while canceling jolts.

when fighting an anther or stealth, the killer is pikas grab. time the jabs and tilts and snake is open. time the recovery and bam, you have a stock gone.

the more i play this the more i realize that pika hs the advantage because of players like stealth and anther.

although, most pikas i play i smoke with my snake cuz they FF fair too much and rely on their spammy tjolt to win. rest assured...nade can outcamp a pika because an electrical attack can make them explode.

K 2

Smash Lord
Yes and No.

If you can consistantly QAC for about a minute with out screwing up, pikachu is unbeatable online.

If you can't, he's meh online.

Your opponent usually can't deal with QAC in the lag. Their only option is to mash up b or to mash down on the cstick.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Hey guys. I'm new to Pikachu. I find that using Dsmash repeatedly works pretty well. Some people called it spamming and called me a n00b. What's spamming and is it bad?

Seriously though Do you have a list of CG percents and when/if I can end the last one on the edge(assuming I do Fthrows to Dthrows on the edge) with a Thunder?

Er!ckLZ

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I'm new to Pikachu. I find that using Dsmash repeatedly works pretty well. Some people called it spamming and called me a n00b. What's spamming and is it bad?

Seriously though Do you have a list of CG percents and when/if I can end the last one on the edge(assuming I do Fthrows to Dthrows on the edge) with a Thunder?
spamming is something you do it repetitively... and it's good/bad..

good-strategy
bad- ppl calling you a n00b...

the bad isn't bad 'cuz the ppl that's calling you a n00b prolly lose to you which makes them a BIGGER n00b

K 2

Smash Lord
Spamming is fine as long as you don't get punished for it. As for D-smash, I highly recommend that you do NOT spam it. I played a pikachu named Garaa at a tourney last week, and all he did was dsmash, and all I had to do was shield the whole move and punish him with a fsmash or dsmash (I was G&W). Its very unsafe if you spam it.

A CG will never end with a thunder. I recommend ending it with usmash, which may or may not be combo'd into thunder.

Er!ckLZ

Smash Apprentice
ROFL.. dsmash??

it's easy to dodge..
if he was spamming, you would already know his/her next move..
should be an advantage for you

kirbysprite

Smash Cadet
Is it me or is Pikachu very uncommon in tournaments? I don't see a lot of videos of people playing as Pikachu.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Is it me or is Pikachu very uncommon in tournaments? I don't see a lot of videos of people playing as Pikachu.
Pikachu is a hard character to grasp so a lot of people don't pick him up. Plus some people are afraid his cuteness will affect their manliness. Pikachu is just that **** cute.

K 2

Smash Lord
keep playing pikachu as if he has a long sword. Help
umm...Idk, I can't help you here.

Pikachu is just as common in regular tournaments as most characters, but at high level/pro tourneys, he's not as popular. He doesn't fair well against popular high tiered characters (MK, Marth, Diddy, G&W, ROB, etc.). The only pikachu videos you will find is anther's vids. He's the only one of us that plays pikachu at the pro level and actually wins.

gallax

Smash Hero
Lol. Seems like you still have that huge ego, eh?

Oops. Sig rule. :)

the only ones that consistently give me a run for my money are boom stealth and anther. pikas spam FF fair way too much against snake. its easy to beat them. especially when your grab game is on. XD

a little big headed yes. never changes.

entY8

Smash Rookie
In this video at 1:38, is that QAC? Or is it multiple consecutive quick attacks? Or is it some kind of trick to quick attack in the same direction twice?
I'm asking since this doesn't look anything like the QACs in the guides and I don't manage to reproduce it myself.

And "Hello!" btw; I've been reading your forum(s) already, I hope you don't mind :p

K 2

Smash Lord
That looks like a double QAC. You'll notice the second QAC is a bit shorter than the first one. That's because he had to angle it into the ground. Do do a double QAC, QA right, the QA right down.

Welcome to the pika boards!

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
Woops, I should have posted this here. Allow me to quote myself:

I've been practicing with Pikachu a lot lately, really trying to get the various tactics and tricks down and fluid. I've been watching a lot of videos for inspiration as well, and one thing I've seen quite often is the pikachu player doing, what looks like, a dash back and forth really fast - almost in place. I figured that this was just exactly as it seems, tilting the direction pad back and forth really fast, but I can't seem to do the dashing as tightly as I've seen in the videos.

This Pika-noob was simply curious if I just need to practice it more to pull it off correctly, or if perhaps there was a simple trick about it that I haven't been able to find? I've tried looking around the forums and in the techniques section, but haven't been able to find anything on it.

A good example of what I'm talking about is in the Official Pikachu Guide: Part II by 5ive at about 3:00 minutes. After doing some Jolt's, he lands and does the back-and-forth dashing a few times.

Thanks in advance for any help! Happy brawling!

Meow.

Top Bottom