• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
98% of grab releases are ground ones since Pikachu is soooo small. Pikachu has only one move that is 2 frames and that is his jab. So Pikachu can only grab release to jab for a guaranteed combo. (Takes 3 frames to shield from a ground release)

EXCEPTION: DK and Bowser act 9 frames before you do from a ground release.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Dang...He'd be sick if he just a couple more frames to do stuff...
Keep in mind this is the case for everyone... at 3 frames of vulnerability, people with 3 frame moves would benefit a lot.. (Ike would benefit tons with free jabs, and he won't be the only one)

The game would become incredibility boring if people had around 5 frames to do something out of a ground release. MK would have grab release to his moveset....

K 2

Smash Lord
Keep in mind this is the case for everyone... at 3 frames of vulnerability, people with 3 frame moves would benefit a lot.. (Ike would benefit tons with free jabs, and he won't be the only one)

The game would become incredibility boring if people had around 5 frames to do something out of a ground release. MK would have grab release to his moveset....
lolz^^^

If they DI the grab release, will pika's jab still connect?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pika's jab has lots of range.. I would assume at least nicked of they did a SDI release. (w/e it's called). I wonder can Pika jab cancel to grab? Or not enough hit stun?

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
Should I have tap jump on or off when playing as Pikachu? In other words, which one is better for a pikachu main?

gallax

Smash Hero
most players play with tap jump off anyways. but for pika...yes. tap jump off.

and a note about the grab release. you could always move forward if the opponent SDI's to much out of your range.

kirbysprite

Smash Cadet
Why is Luigi's Mansion not a good stage for Pikachu? I mean, I spam Dsmash in that stage.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Why is Luigi's Mansion not a good stage for Pikachu? I mean, I spam Dsmash in that stage.
Well, dsmash is never spammable against a good player, because they can easily DI out of it. I guess on LM they might bounce back into it off the ceiling (I can't remember how low the ceiling is on the first floor... I almost never play on this stage), but I doubt it. Either way, dsmash will never kill someone on this stage if they're on the bottom floor, and it probably won't rack up very much damage once it's stale.

Luigi's Mansion is bad because when the house is there, someone can flee to the bottom floor and pretty much avoid being killed. You can't thunder through the platforms, and usmash, fsmash, dsmash, and n-air will all bounce them off of the ceiling and into the floor if they're near the middle of the stage. I did some LM testing for my Killachu thread, and Mario didn't die from a fresh fsmash 'til something like 245% from the middle of the stage. For heavies like Bowser, it was closer to the low 300s.

Also, the second floor isn't very safe if your opponent has a long-range move that can hit you from below. Not only is it not safe, but you have to maneuver to the middle section or the sides to drop down, and movement in general is very hindered on this stage. For a character like Pika, who thrives on his speed and ease of moving around his opponent, this hurts his game a lot.

I'm sure there's a lot more reasons, but these are the most basic ones, I think.

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
Is Luigi's mansion even a counterpick?

Guess I should've looked it up before asking huh? It is.

Buster Call

Smash Rookie
Quick Attack Cancel Super Jump?

Well, sometimes when I QAC around the stage after I do it around 5 times Pikachu well jump really high. About the same distance Pikachu would go after jumping twice but he only jumped once. I can't do it on purpose but it happens occasionally. I tihnk it might be a glitch footstool or something where the opponent doesn't show he was foot stooled or something like that. Has this happened to anybody else?

K 2

Smash Lord
Were you near you opponent? If you were, it probably was a footstool. If you weren't, you probably landed and did a Full hop instead of an aerial double jump.

Buster Call

Smash Rookie
Were you near you opponent? If you were, it probably was a footstool. If you weren't, you probably landed and did a Full hop instead of an aerial double jump.
It has happened when I was near and far away from my opponent. If it was a fott stool it was a glitch footstool cause the opponent had no reaction. And I never landed and did a fullhop, unless it was a glitchy lagless landing that I never noticed.

5ive

Smash Champion
Sorry I haven't been active lately, really busy with exams.
Just letting you guys know :)

stevensteve

Smash Cadet
When going against ROB, how aggressive should Pika be?
if you're too defensive, ROB will outcamp you with his lasers and top

If you're too offensive like me in my vids, you just lose :-)

Sorry, I totally did not answer your question

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
What match vids are worth posting for critique and what aren't? I've been thinking of posting one, but I'd be my first vid post and I don't really know the norms for vids threads. Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, Still a fledgeling smashboards'er

Zylar

Smash Ace
Like the last dude, try to get vids of you losing. That way you can learn better and know why.
As long as the quality of the vid is good (We can tell what's going on) there isn't really any good or bad vids to show. That's what I think.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Guys, one match with KLo I had, the one on rainbow cruise, I grabbed her Pikachu out of the aftershock of thunder (still took damage). I wonder if that means Pikachu is open for a while to grabs when using thunder then.. that would suck against someone like DDD who can grab then deal 16% trading for 7% which fine by him due to weight.

Zylar

Smash Ace
He's talking about during the invincibility frames. He grabed Kaylo during the time that if you touch pika you'll get hit, which he did, but only took damage but no hitback.
So, it could be that the invincibility does not protect against grabs.
Or Ike has super armor during his grabs.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Yeah. That is grab armor. If you grab someone at the right time, you won't suffer knock back from their attack. Each character can do it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I know about grab armor. But Ike's grab take 7 frames to come out. Guess there is some frames where thunder has no hitbox

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Are we allowed to put wins on our vid threads? Is it "jerk"-ish to put wins on a rate-me thread? I have only been posting my losses up til now.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
Legendary pikachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er

Top Bottom