• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Why does Pikachu seem to have 2 different pivot grabs?
With 1, he barely slides while grabbing
With the other, he slides significantly while grabbing
(I've done both of these with the same input, or what seems to be the same input to me. run, press back, Z immediately after)

I don't know much about pivot grabs, but I haven't noticed this with any other characters. Is this Pikachu-exclusive? Also, since it seems that the one that slides further is universally better, how can I make sure to do that one only? Is it completely timing-dependant?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah, it's just timing dependent. I don't know why we have that honestly...it isn't even a boost pivot grab...

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
no but it is still useful to reverse the cg if they are not mashing jump. i was using this on a lot of chars before the buffered dthrow was found. my favorite targets were wolf and snake, alas i dont need to fthrow anymore

Cassio

Smash Master
It might work on DDD since he has such a low second hop. Thats probably the character Ive done it to most and it might be most useful for. Maybe DK too.

But yeah Im curious about how the different reverse grabs work or if boost pivoting it affects it somehow.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
however long the pivot grab is is how long my turn around pivot grab is. i can do a full sliding pivot grab from a stand still. i dont run at. if any of you have seen me sitting idly at a brawl setup with noone to play i will be doing it to fox LOL

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I know this sounds silly due to Pikachu's lack of range, but...
Would you guys agree that Pikachu is one of the most spacing-intensive characters in the game?

I find that if I don't pay significant attention to spacing, I do terribly

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
*shrugs* I can't tell if I do super particular spacing, so if you watch and I do, then yes. If not, no.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Slants make F-throw CGs better since they won't be in the air and be able to jump away/they will have a few more frames of lag as they land. I CG'd Kadaj on Castle Siege for 2 grabs because the stage was slanted.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
~ what % does upair nair become unviable? And uhhh is there a way to not lag on landing after you QAC? I always get hard landing lag afterwards like there's some sort of weird RCO **** going on.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Hmm but it has to be stale right? Cuz when ever i did up-air after the cg it would send em too far to nair right after.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Pika has RCO lag on the 2nd half of the first direction of QA and on the entirety of the 2nd part (Like if you grab the ledge from the first half of the first direction you won't get it).

YOu could always QA away and you probably won't be punished, or you could just stay grounded until you hit them away, then SH and FF to get rid of it.

Are you talking about doing it on a Falco or something? Just U-smash or nair them straight out of it, don't bother with the technical uair nair stuffs, it isn't worth it.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Oh ya ik. Naw i was just asking in general if it has to be stale when they're at higher percents to work.

@QA thing ok thanks. Ya i was just wondering if there was ways around getting it from QAC. Now i know~

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Are there any good vids for the d3 mu? I couldn't really find much besides mr.doom's ddd vs someone. Any general guidelines/outline i can read for it?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I guess you could reference me vs Seibrik from a while ago...I wish that me vs Atomsk or me vs Coney (me vs coney were friendlies) was recorded because those would be more recent.

Also, I don't use a visual cue anymore since I'm so used to it, but it would be when Pikachu touches the ground after he does his flips in the air lol

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Ya i use when he does that little flip in the air after slamming them and was just curious.

@Esam damn that sucks :(

Cassio

Smash Master
This thread might help: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=279480

Also uair nair works depending on which part of the tail hits and what frame. In general it works for quite awhile.

RCO happens from a full length QA1 and after. QAC will always have RCO, but if you land with an aerial the RCO is reduced but still occurs. Landing with b moves like jolt will prevent RCO, but the RCO will stay with you until you land again. Landing with another QA I believe prevents RCO, but you still have to deal with QA's cooldown. Also if you have RCO your aerial mobility is reduced.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252451

PikaForLife

Smash Apprentice
is Fairing into an opponent>Utilt legit? cause if i try it they ps it and the Dthrow>Utilt at 0% doesnt seem to work for me either.. they just jump out of it. i think i am buffering it wrong but i got no problem with buffering the Dthrow (cg) or buffering a Nair or Usmash after Dthrow...

Top Bottom