• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Physical habits and gamer-faces!

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
What do you do physically when you play Smash? Other than moving your hands, of course.

Do you have a weird or otherwise recognizable gamer face (e.g. Forward)? Do you use your body to DI? Do you puff your cheeks (e.g. PC Chris, Jman)?

I personally have a glazed look on my face with my mouth open. I've drooled on myself before while playing Smash, actually.

I also do Mario Kart DI, so I turn my whole body and angle my controller when I get hit as though it'll make my DI better. Also, I jerk/jump around a lot when I play, especially when I land spikes, tippers, and sweetspot dolphin slashes. My extreme physical reactions to Smash have resulted in many dropped combos :c I've even fallen out of a chair before because it was so bad.

Anyway, I just wanted to survey General Melee Discussion and see everyone's quirks... I know that Falcon players have a slight tendency to be completely stone cold when they play.... I guess they have to be able to keep their cool to control him lol.

DSP

Smash Apprentice
I've even fallen out of a chair before because it was so bad.
God, I would've loved to see that.
I stay pretty calm physically, but my emotions transcend onto my face pretty quick. If I'm playing Pichu against Ganon for giggles, I seem to look pretty afraid... but I can't help but get a ****-eating grin on my face when I pulled off something sweet. My face lightens up after a 0-death with Falcon. People think I'm mocking them. :<

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
I noticed lately I will like, lick near my lips on a intense part in a game for some reason. I allways feel stupid when I do :<

I hope that whenever I go to a tourny I will not do this lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
>Mario Kart DI
*dead*

I'm generally expressionless. I smile sometimes if I'm having fun but otherwise it's all Stoneface Steve Austin

Jonas

Smash Champion
I have a friend who plays with his tounge.

No he still manipulates his controller solely with his hands, his tounge is just as much into the game as his hands are. A Swedish player commented: "It looks like he's eating."
I was also at a Swedish tournament once were I saw a guy who did the exact same thing with his tounge :laugh:

Walt

Smash Ace
Every time a stock gets totally destroyed I adjust my glasses. Regardless if it was my stock or my opponents. Pretty much adjust my glasses anytime something awesome happens. I have also noticed falcon players stay pretty stonefaced. If anyone in norcal remembers Bchu he has the most hilarious tongue movement during matches. I love that guy.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
darkrain and ss are both like stonefaced when they're playing in tournament.

additionally apparently I adjust my cap after a stock if I'm wearing one.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
My tongue might slip out a bit while I combo or sometimes my mouth gets stuck in a certain way. Only when I focus real hard though

Beat!

Smash Master
I used to do a lot of silly facial expressions, like opening my mouth when doing technical stuff. It looked ridiculous.
I've been putting in an effort to get rid of it though, so I think I look pretty neutral nowadays.

:phone:

Rykard

Smash Ace
i'm pretty sure i smile a lot as a play just because that is generally the expression on my face most of the time, though nobody has ever really commented on it. I'm quite a fan of Nintendude's game face lmao

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I think I play with a goofy smile and an otherwise expressionless face.

Though I have been captured just like TAI's picture lol.

And when I play HRC I definitely lick my lips...

Also when something big happens like a smash attack or I'm trying to DI something, I jump like I just got shocked or some ****.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Sometimes when I try to snake in f-zero I have the whole moving your mouth as well thing, lol.
In crash team racing I've had the glazed look as well.

Don't think I have a particular gamer face when playing smash (maybe I never focus as much as I have done in other games - possibly because of the social aspect where the two other games have been during time trials). Someone once told me that I move/shake the actual controller alot though... Don't think I really do that alot though, lol.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I have a friend who sticks his tongue out whenever he's trying to concentrate.

I usually stay pretty calm, but I tense up when I do tricky techskill things.

Myztek

Smash Ace
I've taken notice of this with many players.

Friend of mine, IHaveSpaceBalls, does a lot of funny mouth movements. It's fun to watch ;P He puffs his cheeks when he's doing technical things. (sorry for calling you out Jack! ;D)

And one guy I play with fairly often rages at the game a lot. I've watched his face while he's playing other people, and he looks happy/relieved when he's winning, looks mad when he's doing a combo, and starts to look depressed if he loses the lead. I think it's also why his gameplay isn't very consistent. He gets too emotional when he plays.

I tend to have a motionless face when I play. Sometimes, I'll hang my mouth open. I used to be super intense when I was younger. My tongue would be all over the place. >_>; But, nowadays, I mostly just keep a steady face.

DualCats

Smash Ace
If I have much of a gamer face, no one has informed me. But I'm prone to getting out of my seat and yelling like a lunatic if anything outrageous happens. I always tend to adjust the way I'm sitting while I'm playing but I think that has little to do with the game.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I've been told by IL players that when I dthrow tech chase someone I always seem to take a finger and fix my glasses.

And that they thought I was trying to look into their soul or something to see their next tech.

Pretty funny. Never noticed it myself though LOL

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Friend of mine, IHaveSpaceBalls, does a lot of funny mouth movements. It's fun to watch ;P He puffs his cheeks when he's doing technical things. (sorry for calling you out Jack! ;D)
Came into this topic to say "I've been told I *summarized version of above*," so mission accomplished I guess.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
If I have much of a gamer face, no one has informed me. But I'm prone to getting out of my seat and yelling like a lunatic if anything outrageous happens. I always tend to adjust the way I'm sitting while I'm playing but I think that has little to do with the game.
semi-British accent: "OHHHH YEEESSSSSS! HUH-HUH-HUH-HUH-HUH-HUH"

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
mew2king rocks a lot and does weird **** with this eyebrows/eyes sometimes o.o

Zodiac

Smash Master
I dont have an expression when I play, its just super intense

ru5514n

Smash Ace
My expression is usually more or less calm, though it becomes more concentrated if I combo somebody, or just spam techskill in general. When I get hit, I often flinch, and when I lose a stock, I sometimes shake my head.

Lovage

Smash Hero
if i'm intently watching someone play or watching videos, when a fox accidentally side+b's off the stage my right thumb always TWITCHES in real life so i can cancel his illusion before he dies LOL

soju

SD God
In tournament play, I usually chuckle or sometimes laugh when something stupid happens during my match. e.g. I get a phantom usmash in then get knee'd in the face. Luckily, haven't had anyone that has had a problem with this.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
if i'm intently watching someone play or watching videos, when a fox accidentally side+b's off the stage my right thumb always TWITCHES in real life so i can cancel his illusion before he dies LOL
Life saving bro, right here. ^

I hear I'm pretty stone-faced when I play, but when I'm in the zone I jerk my hands a little with continued combos. So I can catch them before they escape. Proven fact, lolol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
hahahaa this is amazing

DualCats

Smash Ace
In tournament play, I usually chuckle or sometimes laugh when something stupid happens during my match. e.g. I get a phantom usmash in then get knee'd in the face. Luckily, haven't had anyone that has had a problem with this.
I do this too, actually, and I'm always worried I'm going to offend someone. :/

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Stoneface (and I look either mad or bored for some reason) or I chew on my toung, but I don't always do that.

I think one of the most notable people who does stuff like ths is Jman. He chews the **** outta his lip.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
I do this too, actually, and I'm always worried I'm going to offend someone. :/
omg me too haha

and my one friend sticks his tounge out when he plays..

I don't really do anything.. just wipe the sweat off my hands onto my pants in between stocks, but a lot of people do that lol.

oh, sometimes when I get caught up in playing and am going really fast I lose control of my conch and it flips into the air and then I start frantically juggling it trying to get a grip of it again... I donno how the hell this happens... but it does lol.

Top Bottom