• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phantom Hits Tournament Southampton : 10th-11th April Inertia's not Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
Yeah looking back it does look like a direct divide :ohwell: It wasn't very well laid out but basically I was interested in what people want on and what people want off. I personally am not too bothered whats on and off I just wanted people opinions.

It would be really good if you could come to this as well Ed.

Tournament Schedule has also been updated or moved around or something.

Dacacia

Smash Journeyman
Dacacia - Alot of people coming to your tournament are travelling as far as you are if not further eg ive got a extra two hours on top and the scots alot more ;)
lol I know a lot of people have further to travel, but I kinda figured as one of the tournament hosts I wouldn't have to for this one :dizzy:

Also, the map link on the OP stilll isn't working for me...

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
lol I know a lot of people have further to travel, but I kinda figured as one of the tournament hosts I wouldn't have to for this one :dizzy:

Also, the map link on the OP stilll isn't working for me...
Made the map public. Did you check the two boxes so it shows the map/locations? Try again now anyway see if it works. If notI give up with that.....

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
I think all the stages you mentioned should be on Inertia but in return you should make sets go to best of 5 quicker in the bracket, as with harder counterpicks winning the first match is more important in a best of 3 but less detrimental over 5 games with daves stupid rule on!

rustediron

Smash Lord
GGT random stages were good, and I think having all those stages on counter would be nice. Though I agree with Kone in that Corneria and Pokéfloats are a bit foxy =/

EDIT: Can we have Termina on for teams? :D

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
I think all the stages you mentioned should be on Inertia but in return you should make sets go to best of 5 quicker in the bracket, as with harder counterpicks winning the first match is more important in a best of 3 but less detrimental over 5 games with daves stupid rule on!
Problem with introducing 5 game sets earlier is obviously the time factor, but I do understand what your saying. I'll have a look nearer the time maybe when we've got a better idea of how many people are coming.

GGT random stages were good, and I think having all those stages on counter would be nice. Though I agree with Kone in that Corneria and Pokéfloats are a bit foxy =/

EDIT: Can we have Termina on for teams? :D
If we're taking off floats and corneria I think mute should really be off as well. Termina can go die in a fire.

Kone

Smash Master
I dont think mute should be taken off. Unlike corneria, mute can be used by more chars as a counter pick =). However, i aint bothered if all five you mentioned were on. Probs cause less debate if you just opted to have them all on.

VA

Smash Hero
Me and pro don't even counter pick corneria or floats, it's kind of ridiculous removing them when the good fox players don't even pick those stages. We know they are there but prefer things like Battefield or YS. Keep as many stages on as possible, limiting it to six is gay and it's nice to see varitaion.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
I agree with stage variation. I used to like the idea of only neutrals being on but it makes the counterpicking system a lot less effective. There also isn't much wrong with Brinstar, Mute City, Corneria etc. they just take some getting used to, no stage knowledge johns :confused: :confused: :suess:

What do people think of putting Yoshis Story and FoD on random? I think it heavily favours space animals and probably Marth too but Im interested to hear whats piped up.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I agree on more stages. Its nice to see some really good counterpicking occasionaly and vary in tourns. I'm not saying it to benefit because last time when I said it you lot were saying I only wanted it on cos I wanted mute city but I don't play peach now so you idiots can't really say that lol.

I agree on the random stages such as YS and FoD being in the advanatage of space animals and marth so I would like to have the three stages on random and have a WHOLE bunch of the counterpick stages like Mute, Brinstar

COEY

Smash Lord
Nothing wrong with all 6 neutrals, all of them should be on random tbh. And thats not me saying that cause it gives me an advantage, i hate battlefield with a passion. But at the end of the day i can always ban it.

Plus i mean the game already heavily favours space animals above most characters in this game to begin with, and with sheik being above them both making things more interesting is never a bad idea. Yea it might be bad for peach and jiggs players, but who cares they play peach and jiggs right? :s

J03

Smash Master
the other 3 stages that could be on random (BF, YS and FoD) all have some problems that keep them off the neutral list atm. BF's edges and easy edeguarding, YS for the cloud and shy guys and FoD for the platforms.

well imo PS has the stage changes and DL has the wind so no johns =/

6 randoms imo

COEY

Smash Lord
These are the stages on at genesis in the summer.

Neutrals:
-Fountain of Dreams
-Pokemon Stadium
-Dream Land
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks:
-Rainbow Cruise
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Jungle Japes
-Mute City
-Poke Floats
-Corneria
-Brinstar

Looks pretty good to me.

grayfox

Smash Champion
I don't think the problem with yoshis etc not being on neutral normally is that they are widely regarded to not be neutral! Most of the top tiers have an advantage on them, especially the top 4, while on ps, fd and dl64 there is only ever a marginal advantage in most character match ups.

The first match is the most important, especially in a best of 3. I don't want to be gutted by getting fod against a marth or sheik when I'm having the banter with samus :confused:

With this April date I'll consider going to this btw, but it is still doubtful given how much of a trek it is.

Kone

Smash Master
Ryan - come down to my place on the thursday. Chill at mine the night then we'll head down to southampton on friday. Split your journey up that way and itll take alot less in my car then a bus that detours all over the place. me, you, paul, joe n will in the car is good craic

Also, how about we do stage striking then?? I was reading it in the SMACK thread (was posted by marc) and is something im definetly going to implement for my euro tourney. Basically you take it in turns striking a stage from the neutral stages in order of 1,2,2,1 (Player 1, Player 2 - if theres an issue of players wanting to be player 1 decide by rock,paper,scissors). This works best if theres only 5 neutral stages (as it leaves one) so maybe get rid of FoD? lol. Or simply just randomise the last two stages left after striking.

That, to me, seems fairer if its a best of 3 set. Especially if your upping the number of randoms to 6. As a peach player, stares at will >_>, I feel badly done by with battlefield/yoshi/FoD on random esp if playing a marth :/

uhm, urgh, jungle japes? no sireee please >_>

Shutup charles lol

J03

Smash Master
as for randoms, it doesnt really matter if the random stages are 'neutral' or advantagous the only matter is what we want on lol.

the 3 randoms are nice stages and the other 3 are nice stages, **** the techno babbling plox

Kone

Smash Master
your entire post makes no ****ing sense joe :/. The entire point of the discussion is what people think should be the neutral stages. Evidently, your post suggests that it should be 6 cos there all 'nice'. I dont find them all nice tho ;)

grayfox

Smash Champion
Of course it matters if they are neutral :confused: if it doesn't why not put mute city on random; my Samus might get a free counterpick from the off too please :confused:

And aye Ed that does sound like good banter, but I think I'll decide closer to the time.

Never heard of this smack banter but it seems interesting

Kone

Smash Master
Well, marc just posted the idea on the SMACK thread( german tourney in april) , think its something the backroom have been discussing.

J03

Smash Master
haha ed, my post meant the exact opposite. all the stages have something 'wrong' with them and all offer advantages/disadvanteges to some of the cast. to try and balance them out is pretty impossible.

the 6 stages on random have been played on **** loads and most peeps know them all **** well.

i meant that out of the 6 it really doesnt matter which are on random.

Kone

Smash Master
Well me and ryan got your post wrong ;). Anyway, im not talking about what should be on random, all 6 is fine. Im arguing that the start of the set should be changed from random to stage striking :)

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Yoshi's on random?? I don't think so. Why not FD, PS and Dreamland on random. Yoshi's as a neutral isn't a good choice as it's rly good for some chars and rly bad for others (what Ryan said). The others still have advantages to some chars but no-one particularly suffers on them.

J03

Smash Master
its post like bens taht i was targeting lol. i dont care how neutral the neutral stages are, YS is good times and no johns ben

Ed: i agree that striking is the way forward

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
lol what are you on Joe? Oh yeah. Anyway, I agree with you that all stages are good/ bad for certain chars but the three randoms (FD, PS and DL) are a lot more balanced and will never give a rly unfair game for a particular matchup -which I don't want to happen to anyone.

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
Had a read through and the thing that seems to be the most sensible option in my opinion would be stage striking. I'd already read all the stuff about it in the Smack thread but then forgot about it. Stage striking basically ends up with the stage thats most neutral to the matchup, or the stage the players want to play on the most first.

This would also deal with Zeppo's point of not having more counters due to the fact that first stage random matters so much (I think this sentence makes sense :confused:). Stage striking does seem to be the way to go imo.

I know everyone knows all the stages Joe but the problem is that some matchups can be a lot harder for one character which I believe stage striking solves.

Me and Dacacia are also drinking fanta banter right now. Got it from a random take away.

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
I agree why post here if you don't want to play melee? Do you expect me to change the tournament so I can get the world famous brawler_pit to come? :confused::confused::confused:

Stage selection added. Stage striking is going to be used. Its near the bottom of the first post.

Edit :
seriously learn melee. It's a great game
QFT

Kone

Smash Master
I really dont think that you need stage striking for doubles to be honest :/. Character matchups are no where near as important. Random should suffice and save time during the doubles tournament?

Also, just in case people are being arsey about striking first, have player 1/2 decided by rock/paper/scissors

Ed

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I really dont think that you need stage striking for doubles to be honest :/. Character matchups are no where near as important. Random should suffice and save time during the doubles tournament?

Also, just in case people are being arsey about striking first, have player 1/2 decided by rock/paper/scissors

Ed
agreed____

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom