• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Peach and other random Discussion (Social Thread)

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Cru$ha, you're lame.

Also, DoH, those were very good points...I'm going to have to try really hard now. Though I can't say that any of my friends can be convinced...

I really don't mean to start **** or attack anyone in this thread, but I ****ing hate it when people call stuff gay and then attempt to justify it in any way.

You just can't. It's wrong.

Using any group (particularly a highly discriminated-against minority) as a synonym for anything negative is ****ing wrong. I don't care if you "don't mean anything derogatory," you're still perpetuating the use of a discriminatory word. Meaning that you are participating in discrimination.

Which, I don't have to remind you, is wrong.

The other common justification, "but it's common usage," also doesn't fly. Discrimination being common doesn't make it right. Just because homophobia is the dominant perspective in our culture doesn't mean you get a free pass.

There's no excuse. You know you're being offensive, you know you're hurting people's feelings, and you know you're perpetuating homophobia. So ****ing quit it.

Sorry if I sound too angry. I'm not even gay (well, mostly not). And I <3 you guys. But it's really not OK. Also, if anyone wants to talk LGBT/gender issues anytime, I'm always down. It's fairly important to me.
I would be interested to find out when the word "gay" became a reference to those who liked the same gender, and stopped meaning happy. I'm not saying that any of what you've said is wrong, because none of it is, but I think that over time, words change and adapt new meanings, and this *could* be more or less the case here. It's no justification for using a word which people identify themselves with in a negative manner (I think even I'd be quite bothered if someone used the n word to refer to things that they didn't like, despite my neutral stance on the word as a whole), but I think that probably explains the trend to some degree.

I find **** a lot easier to justify than gay. And that's probably really bad. But the word does mean "to humiliate," in a sense...?

john!

Smash Hero
whether or not it's "right" to use gay in a pejorative sense, the fact remains that the word "gay" has taken on a new meaning of "bad/stupid/etc.", just like it took on the meaning of "homosexual" after it meant "happy". most of the people who use gay in this manner are not actually homophobic, and it's debatable whether the widespread use of this word with negative connotations even has an impact on the way gay people are treated in society.

tl;dr y'all are overreaacting.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The first time I ever heard the word gay was when I was little (4 or 5) and watching a show about a serial killer with my grandparents. The show casually mentioned that he might have been gay. My grandparents, in their broken English, mentioned that I should never be gay and that it was very bad. Funnily enough, they never told me not to kill anybody LOL. So in my mind, being gay was then labeled as being worse than a murderer or something.

When I was closeted I never really cared about the word. I kind of sorta agreed that being gay/homosexual was bad. I got tired of the shame I was feeling and reasoned it out in my head that I was not a bad person. I just recently came out of the closet this summer. Now whenever I hear somebody call something gay I do feel bad about it. It brings up all those memories of me of feeling shameful and pretending to be straight. Sometimes I try to tell them nicely not to call things gay. One time my friend called his girlfriend's car gay and complained he had to drive it (it was hot pink). I told him he can't call it gay cuz I'm gay and I don't like hot pink cars (I really don't). He started laughing. He still called things gay though so I told him to at least not do it while I'm smashing since it throws off my concentration.

The only friends of mine I haven't come out to yet are two of my closest friends from high school. They call things gay all the time and it really hurts. Like half of the conversation is the word gay or homosexual acts. They mention those types of words more than any gay people I have conversations with. It gets rather annoying to hear yourself and your way of expressing love demeaned over and over again. I decided to stop hanging out with them since it's just not worth my while. They aren't going to change.

I'll admit, I used to say the n-word all the time in a manner similar to how people use gay. Most of my friends were cool with it. My own experience with the word gay taught me how powerful words can be so I recently changed my vocabulary (having a black roommate freshman year also helped, since he was his own special kind of funny racist when it came to white people). I also stopped being racist, since what I was doing was racism. The feelings of superiority recently changed to indifference (I don't care if a person is black white or w/e). I even recently dated a black guy, though we broke up since he wasn't really compatible with me. It was my only serious relationship ever.

I still call things ******** from time to time (something I'm really trying hard to change). I still call things gay too, but that's a leftover from when I was pretending to be straight. I curse a lot, but that's kind of how I was raised lol. I don't mind when people who are gay use the word as derogatory or my close friends when they are simply being funny though.

You can say it's immature that I'm offended, but those feelings of shame and self-hatred are always brought up whenever I hear it used badly. I know everybody has freedom of speech, but I also have freedom of speech to say it's wrong and have the right to choose to not associate with or respect people who don't respect me.

Edit: I really like using to word f***** though. It sounds hilarious. I call Doll (other gay smasher who plays Peach) a f***** all the time. He calls me a drama queen when I'm drunk. The rules above still apply to f***** though.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
yo prog go and rad my last post in this thread. its like a page r two after the post were u said g$ was not the best on LI.

Also i use the term gay when playing smash, but at times I feel i use it to much and when i feel i use it to much I often say something like "thats so gay, not in the sense its homosexual but in the commonly used sense for unfair or annoying." I also sometimes just call something gay and then follow it up with "it sleeps with things of the same sex as it". (i never use this one in a negative way) (its more like fox's up-smash is gay, it sleeps with other up-smashes that r the same sex as it) Anyway how offense do u guys find this? if its to bad i will try to stop doing it. I just want to add when i say stuff like this its in jest and is pretty obvious with my tone and inflection

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
not counting this one and the one before this one my last two. o **** it. just read my next line

R u still on LI? if so do u ever want to meet up and play melee? Also come to the next blu planet tourney to help revive LI melee

Wake

Smash Master
I can honestly say that I personally don't get offended when most people say it. I don't say it myself because I know people do get offended. Maybe that's a bad thing on my part, I dunno.

When someone is using it like every other word, kinda like Mango in his podcast thing, then that gets really annoying. It's just waaay too much at that point.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Yep, still in Westbury. I'm down to play, just let me know ahead of time, etc. The new job is going to be sapping up time, as is my attendance for SSF4 events. The blu planet tourney? Might show up, but I'm retired.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Yo i am in Roslyn which I think is kinda close. Also there is a tourney in Brooklyn this weekend and I have a part time job, so i think I am to busy this week. but maybe next week some time. Also have u even gone down to stonybrook? there is a melee scene there.

prog

Yeah, Roslyn is pretty close. This weekend is Sudden Death, I might show up since one of my best friends in the scene is making it his last tournament in the area for a while. I haven't been to stony brook this year, but I used to hang out once in a while with Leacero, Vanilla, Jared and co. were there.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
yea jared hosts the tourney at blu planet. Also as u said this weekend is sudden death which I am hoping to go to. I just hope I dont have work or if I do I can swtich my days so I can go. Anyway if u r at the tourney we should meet/talk, my tag will be Mr.Owl

prog

yea jared hosts the tourney at blu planet. Also as u said this weekend is sudden death which I am hoping to go to. I just hope I dont have work or if I do I can swtich my days so I can go. Anyway if u r at the tourney we should meet/talk, my tag will be Mr.Owl
if i make it, just ask around for prog, pretty much everyone knows me.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
yea makes sense since no one knows me lol (i ether dont have money r have been to lazy to go to tourneys)

edit: (or i sucked way to much to go to tourneys)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
One of my freshman year roommates was a ginger (is that word offensive?). He was ok looking. Smelled funny sometimes though and was really messy.

I don't really care what hair color a guy has usually.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Fire crotches are not my thing. There are exceptions

Silly gingers!!

These guys are an exception. I would totally get down and dirty with both of them

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
seeing how i dont want to be left out were it is cold and lonely.

I am not sure if it true for man as well but for women red heads the rule is pretty much they r ether really attractive or very ugly. pretty much no middle ground

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I should really be careful whenever I'm viewing this thread in a public computer lab. SERIOUSLY, guys. ;)

N.A.G.A.C.E., I really like your take on the word gay. It's pretty funny, and not something I'd personally be smart enough to think of. Perhaps I shall steal it from you.

I like redheads a lot, but it does seem as if you either get them rather...um...mediocre, or you get them really blazing. Just had my mind blown by pictures of Felicia Day the other...uh...day. Was quite interesting. I find that I have an internal thing against blondes, but not enough to deter me if I met a cool one.

Top Bottom