• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Peach and other random Discussion (Social Thread)

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
*raises eyebrows*

Cru$ha, I don't approve of the sig.

I honestly feel like I am one of maybe 5 straight Peach mains now. And I still get crap for using her. =\

I've always rationalized in my head that if your family is supportive and claims to love, coming out to them shouldn't be a big deal. But after talking with a few people about it who are gay, I've come to the conclusion that perhaps there are some family members who shouldn't be told.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I suppose fitting the bill for multiple stereotypes doesn't help my case, does it? :p

I honestly feel like I am one of maybe 5 straight Peach mains now. And I still get crap for using her. =\
Smashers call everything gay, Peaches and Jigglypuffs get it more than anything else. Captain Falcons are excluded from being called gay

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's only gay if you aren't open minded enough or simply can't deal with the situation that is in front of you. People don't like change at all, they resist change. They do what they are conditioned to do and that's why everything is gay for them. Freaking lame *****.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Smashers call everything gay, Peaches and Jigglypuffs get it more than anything else. Captain Falcons are excluded from being called gay
Can you and I begin the trend of calling Captain Falcon gay? Cause, in my opinion, "gay" is pretty much the top 8. Falcon should not be excluded.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
*sigh* Everyone says that, Wake...thanks?

Also, I think Doc and Ganon can fit under there, too. Not Samus, cause she's free(ish)

It's only gay if you aren't open minded enough or simply can't deal with the situation that is in front of you. People don't like change at all, they resist change. They do what they are conditioned to do and that's why everything is gay for them. Freaking lame *****.
And yet you conform to them by not doing what they don't want to see

Can you and I begin the trend of calling Captain Falcon gay? Cause, in my opinion, "gay" is pretty much the top 8. Falcon should not be excluded.
Yes

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Ugh, I thought I was the only one who got that special treatment.

I've told myself im gonna stop using gay and ******, but I dont see it happening anytime soon.

MacD

Banned via Administration
Ugh, I thought I was the only one who got that special treatment.

I've told myself im gonna stop using gay and ******, but I dont see it happening anytime soon.
i've been trying to do the same thing, but living with zhu makes it hard

because of his reasoning behind using it... not gonna change his mind without a long talk, and even then, who knows

oh doh, be a dear and link zhu all your posts or something and explain to him why he's being a jerk wad

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
I dont think it has anything to do with maturity, nor do I think its a smasher only problem.

Its a problem that im perpetuating, along with littering and global warming.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
soundssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

i've been trying to do the same thing, but living with zhu makes it hard

because of his reasoning behind using it... not gonna change his mind without a long talk, and even then, who knows

oh doh, be a dear and link zhu all your posts or something and explain to him why he's being a jerk wad
wait did we talk about this?

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
wtf, how'd you get here

you can't name search....
I skim random most recently posted threads for fun sometimes haha.

But yeah, I remember we kinda mentioned it once. I got the impression you didn't think it was a big deal.

Whatever my reasoning was, I can make an effort to avoid using it if it does bother you. I can at least do that much haha

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i like men very much
but I still use the term "that's sooo gay" like every time I play

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Sometimes it's hard for me to find other words to describe Princess Martha, cuz she is so ****ing gay.

But I'm not a big fan of using "gay" as a derogatory term. Same with "****" and other stuff, but it has become so ingrained in the community, it's kinda hard not to.

I like to call straight people breeders though :p

Also, I ****ing love men. <3

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I think that the way it's used in the Smash community isn't "bad," as long as we can define where the line where it stops being joking and starts becoming derogatory. Which is really hard to define and rather arbitrary. But I think that calling someone a ****** for playing a certain way is far more harmful than saying, "Peach is really gay."

@SillyKyle: O____O

MacD

Banned via Administration
or, you know, you could just like, not use it

and then like, not have to deal with finding a like, line to, you know, not cross

DUH :p

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
That too. That is the optimal solution, back in the recesses of my logical mind. But it's really difficult. Lately, I've been fairly good about it, but I still get a lot of "You like men" and "Your character is gay" comments and the like for using Peach, and so my natural inclination is to combat that with saying, "Well, you play this way, too," or something like that.

At the same time, I think it's important to remember that words only have as much meaning as we let them. There was a point where gay meant happy. And while most words are static, I think that we can kind of allow words to take on different meanings in different contexts.

mers

Smash Ace
I really don't mean to start **** or attack anyone in this thread, but I ****ing hate it when people call stuff gay and then attempt to justify it in any way.

You just can't. It's wrong.

Using any group (particularly a highly discriminated-against minority) as a synonym for anything negative is ****ing wrong. I don't care if you "don't mean anything derogatory," you're still perpetuating the use of a discriminatory word. Meaning that you are participating in discrimination.

Which, I don't have to remind you, is wrong.

The other common justification, "but it's common usage," also doesn't fly. Discrimination being common doesn't make it right. Just because homophobia is the dominant perspective in our culture doesn't mean you get a free pass.

There's no excuse. You know you're being offensive, you know you're hurting people's feelings, and you know you're perpetuating homophobia. So ****ing quit it.

Sorry if I sound too angry. I'm not even gay (well, mostly not). And I <3 you guys. But it's really not OK. Also, if anyone wants to talk LGBT/gender issues anytime, I'm always down. It's fairly important to me.

I propose we replace the word '****' with 'molest'

"Dr Peepee's molesting the **** out of him!" -hypothetical statement

I can't think up a stronger word to replace 'gay'

But seriously, Smashers need to be a bit more polite. Enough with these gay complaints

crush

Smash Master
I really don't mean to start **** or attack anyone in this thread, but I ****ing hate it when people call stuff gay and then attempt to justify it in any way.

You just can't. It's wrong.

Using any group (particularly a highly discriminated-against minority) as a synonym for anything negative is ****ing wrong. I don't care if you "don't mean anything derogatory," you're still perpetuating the use of a discriminatory word. Meaning that you are participating in discrimination.

Which, I don't have to remind you, is wrong.

The other common justification, "but it's common usage," also doesn't fly. Discrimination being common doesn't make it right. Just because homophobia is the dominant perspective in our culture doesn't mean you get a free pass.

There's no excuse. You know you're being offensive, you know you're hurting people's feelings, and you know you're perpetuating homophobia. So ****ing quit it.

Sorry if I sound too angry. I'm not even gay (well, mostly not). And I <3 you guys. But it's really not OK. Also, if anyone wants to talk LGBT/gender issues anytime, I'm always down. It's fairly important to me.
haha this post is really hetero

Top Bottom