• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I don't think the Diddy rise would stay that long at all. You have to remember you got guys like Falco and Peach coming up a bit more because of lack of MK.

Marth would likely rise and stay, I don't think Diddy would keep second in the long run, in case of a MK ban. Granted, I haven't put much thought into it because the MK ban is gross to think about period.

I think we benefit more than we lose from MK being banned, but that isnt a reason to support the stupid idea.
edit: Not to mention, there will be a huge burst of G&W mains if MK gets banned. He's an easy transition for most MK mains who didnt have a secondary.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
I think you would still see alot of Diddy because IF you ban MK and if people still pick Game & Watch, Diddy is really his hardest MU because of GnW's lack of item control. If by some magical force MK is banned, I'm picking up Diddy.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Marth is worse for us than Diddy :/
Diddy is pretty bearable to fight, it's just that you have to play in a very specific way that isn't intuitive like his other matchups. Sort of like versus Snake.

Diddy is only really so high because he can deal with MK, and some of his other "hard" matchups don't appear often BECAUSE of MK. I mean, beyond the fact that Diddy is good.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
I agree completely with Mr. Escalators. I know people who want to main GnW, but why GnW when you can play Metaknight? Same with a bunch of other characters.
I think some players would pick up Diddy but not that many. Finally a bunch of people can play the characters they want to play. People'll go back to ROB or Olimar without trying so hard to attempt to convince them.
Diddy is GnW's hard matchup, but he's not that many other characters hardest matchups unlike Metaknight. Also, I don't have a Diddy problem exactly with GnW so I'll still stay GnW even against Diddy. And I play Peach on the side just in case which is a Diddy coutner character.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
lets all just use ganon
he´s god tier duh.

so i´m confirmed for Apex 2010 and GPX in Orlando.
gunna rep that gw babes.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Marth is worse for us than Diddy :/
Diddy is pretty bearable to fight, it's just that you have to play in a very specific way that isn't intuitive like his other matchups. Sort of like versus Snake.

Diddy is only really so high because he can deal with MK, and some of his other "hard" matchups don't appear often BECAUSE of MK. I mean, beyond the fact that Diddy is good.
Marth can't be that much harder for The Watch than Diddy is. Marth has a higher priority and range yes, but if you can space very good and watch for openings, you can beat Marth. Diddy's bananas can just **** your whole plan against him until you learn to use them efficiently and not slip all the time.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Marth can't be that much harder for The Watch than Diddy is. Marth has a higher priority and range yes, but if you can space very good and watch for openings, you can beat Marth. Diddy's bananas can just **** your whole plan against him until you learn to use them efficiently and not slip all the time.
Whoa whoa whoa~ Are you saying that Diddy is harder than Marth? O__O!! What? Just up B most of the time to avoid Diddy's bananas when you know he's going to throw them and then attack. Diddy isn't that hard for me because of up B. But it's really hard to get in with Marth. If you fight a really good Marth it's almost an impossible match-up. Marth is way harder for Diddy for sure. It's really hard to get in on a Marth. I've beaten decent Marths, but even then I struggle and I lose harshly to even better Marths. I have trouble with even match-ups more than Diddy.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Diddy can do a lot of the stuff Marth can but MORE SAFELY due to how ridiculous Bananas are. And you can't break his zoning with F-airs the same way you can against Marth. You're forced to poke with N-airs if he chooses to shieldcamp and has a Banana. Yeah true G&W can help turn the tides against Diddy when he gets a Banana, but fundamentally actually getting in on Diddy is harder.

Marth is not harder than Diddy. It's harder to get control against Diddy in the first place if he plays smart. Yeah it's harder to hold momentum against Marth, but he doesn't control you nearly as hard either. I would put these two matchups at about the same difficulty.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Personally, I think it's in Diddy's favor for sure, but Marth on the other hand is harder. I just never had a Diddy problem. If you end up tripping over a banana just up-b. I've done well against a lot of good Diddy players. Unless you are fighting a Diddy on something like Final Destination then I can imagine it being harder.

As for Marths.. I just really don't know what to do. Admittedly I play Diddy Kongs more than Marths. I have issues landing a kill, too. And they can shield and up-b turtle. He outranges GnW. And there's always Counter. He's hard to approach, too.

I honestly think Marth is harder than Diddy Kong.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Marth is way harder than Diddy, IMHO. I've only played a small handful of each, but I've found the Marth match up way harder. Both are pretty **** tough, however.

And about Meta ban --> other characters, I honestly doubt a ton of MK players would pick up Diddy. Why? Meta is relatively easy to play. Diddy, behind IC's, may be the most difficult character to play as. Plus, the Meta mains would be lost as far as counterpicking goes. Diddy does NOT do well on a lot of stages. MK does good everywhere.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
well pretty much everyone I know thinks GaW is a bad character. And there all like good players so I dont think everyone would main GaW if meta wasnt around. I personally think snake is 3 times more broken then meta. I think the meta match up is the easiest one to learn because so many people play him.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol who cares what other people that have never played G&W at all say about him
they don't know anything but the ignorant stereotypes they hear from people and say he's bad

i think G&W is a very underrated character that is harder to master and can still be a challenge to even top players if you're that good.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I thought they were all trolls???
If you listen to NoJ for too long I can see how one might start to think its true that G&W sucks :O

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
we are all trolls. its not even NOJ I mean GaW is just a really predictable character, every GaW plays the same.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Eh~ Just because he's predictable doesn't mean he's a bad character! GnW has a lot of good things, too! Although hard to land his smashes are good. Bucket Break is simply mm-azing~ Turtle and fish bowl is really good. And you can always keep enemies in the air with uair~
I do admit it is hard to mix around and such with him, though. x-x; But I guess that's where baiting takes place..

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
I'm not saying his moves are bad Im just saying its hard to create a play style of your own.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Its not that he's predictable as a whole, actually. I think the main thing is that he's predictable in one aspect of his game, so that makes it *seem* like G&W is limited. That one aspect is obviously killing.

I mean, G&W I think doesn't have a real issue with killing, as he has ample power and a plethora of ways to do it, but his strongest and least situational options are either telegraphed to some degree (Smashes) or necessitate a certain spacing that can be noticed and dealt with (Fair). The latter isn't as big an issue, but to kill at percents Game & Watch is usually expected to kill at, opponents can limit your choices even more.

People think approaching is an issue for G&W. It frankly isn't; he is one of the better characters at approaching, one of the best without a projectile. The issue seems to be approaching for the kill. His low risk options are hard to get into without using a high risk approach (we have NUMEROUS safe approaches, but they arent terribly useful at getting in a kill move). Powershielding is an exception, but when the opponent is avoiding your kill moves, it's hard to implement a well timed PS into a kill move.

So eh, it's not a fatal flaw. Killing is just a little harder against good characters without an exploitable flaw, and that tends to lend to predictable methods at reasonable kill percents. At really high percents, it's easy to get a Dair in, but you ideally want to get an early kill. It's why I've been advocating playing really gay on percent leads for a while. Sure, you can't get into the perfect setup for a kill when they are avoiding you, but if you have the lead it's even harder for them to get in against you. Stuff their attempts enough, and you can even get a late Dair kill!

Splice

Smash Hero
Its not that he's predictable as a whole, actually. I think the main thing is that he's predictable in one aspect of his game, so that makes it *seem* like G&W is limited. That one aspect is obviously killing.
Come now, on quite a few characters you have to admit he is quite predictable when he has to approach.

It can still be done of course, but you have to work pretty hard to approach as GaW imo.

lou4222

Smash Lord
GW is amazing. He is incredibly underplayed, and will probably drop on the next tier list for no reason. Hardly anyone plays him, so people think they know the matchup, but they really dont. People think the turtle is easy to punish, and its really not. I agree with escalator when he said that the turtle is one of the best approaches in the game. His up b is broken, and makes it incredibly hard for people to kill, hit us. His only flaw in my opinion is telegraphed killing options. This is what seperates good from bad game and watches. Patience is the key when playing him. Continue to go with what works. Dont spam fair and get shield grabbed or punished, dont key and get shield grabbed, dont spam hammers trying to force a kill. Keep dealing damage and kill with a nicely spaced f tilt, or as escalator said, a key. This is what i have been trying to work on. Patience is everything and like i said, what seperates good GWs from great ones.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
GW is amazing. He is incredibly underplayed, and will probably drop on the next tier list for no reason. Hardly anyone plays him, so people think they know the matchup, but they really dont. People think the turtle is easy to punish, and its really not. I agree with escalator when he said that the turtle is one of the best approaches in the game. His up b is broken, and makes it incredibly hard for people to kill, hit us. His only flaw in my opinion is telegraphed killing options. This is what seperates good from bad game and watches. Patience is the key when playing him. Continue to go with what works. Dont spam fair and get shield grabbed or punished, dont key and get shield grabbed, dont spam hammers trying to force a kill. Keep dealing damage and kill with a nicely spaced f tilt, or as escalator said, a key. This is what i have been trying to work on. Patience is everything and like i said, what seperates good GWs from great ones.

nicely spaced ftilt whut? o_O

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
kaak, G&W's ftilt is actually a surprisingly solid kill move at high percents; it has similar spacing to Fsmash, while it's just plain quicker AND it has one of the least telegraphed animations of G&W's moveset. I mean, G&W's animations are largely untelegraphed, but ftilt in particular doesn't seem like he's doing an ftilt until a good ways in, at which point it has already hit.

It can definitely be used as a fall back kill move. Less so than Dair, but not much less so. The main issue is that it's not that good as a fall back kill move against some of the better characters.

also the G&W back room is super sexy. I'm not sure Penta would be able to handle how sexy it really is!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah so I'm starting to actually use Judgement in a lame attempt to be more like UTD Zac.

But man, getting a 9 in a semi-srs match...it's just too good. The 5 on Judgement also REALLY messes up a lot of people who try to shield it.

Yeah so UTD Zac likes B boosting Judgement...I like doing B reverse Boosted Judgements! So sick on stages with platforms of course and a good way to surprise someone who likes sitting below a platform.

Top Bottom