• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Alphicans

Smash Hero
He does better than a lot of charaters online. Compare him to falco, MK, T.link, marth, IC's and pika, and he all of a sudden looks like a good character online. However, I think that the only character that gets a "boost" from online is snake.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
G&W is a really good character for camping most/all other characters.

WITH BACON!

Alphicans

Smash Hero
That match was ridiculous to watch. I think I probably would've done the same thing if I saw someone start spamming bacon.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
He does better than a lot of charaters online. Compare him to falco, MK, T.link, marth, IC's and pika, and he all of a sudden looks like a good character online. However, I think that the only character that gets a "boost" from online is snake.
False. <_<

The only character he does better against on wifi is like...Marth, who is simply outright terrible on wifi. Toon Link also is the best wifi character by far. Ike also is drastically better on wifi when you cannot powershield his stuff on reaction or punish it out of shield due to input lag botching everything (literally, he jumps from being bottom tier to high tier on wifi).

G&W is too easy to outcamp on wifi, and getting shieldgrabbed or missing recoveries with G&W is very easy on wifi.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You misread my post. I meant that GaW does well online. The characters I listed do poorly online. T.link does not do well online, he probably suffers the second most out those listed aside from IC's.

I know everyone think their character does poorly online, but GaW does considerably well compared to the rest of the cast aside from (I guess ike) and snake. Probably some other low tiers aswell.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
G&W does better online than offline. I can break the top 50 on an AiB seasonal ladder (not the short Holiday Ladders/Ladders inbetween the seasons) just using G&W and barely having to try since he does a lot better online than usual lol.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I disagree with a few of the characters Alph listed, and I disagree with his premise. I also disagree with DMG.

That isn't to say, however, that I agree with A2ZOMG's post.

I'M BEING VERY DISAGREEABLE.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
With being off topic now, I would like to bring in the holidays with a special song.

You better watch out, you really can't hide
You better air dodge, I'm tellin' you why
Game & Watch is 9-ing you down

He's spamming his fish, he's spamming it twice
He's giving you turtle from the left and the right
Game & Watch is knocking you out!!!

He knows when you are camping
He'll spam bacon and steak
And you will hate hearing that bell ring
If you're not Meta, Marth, Diddy or Snake

Oh you better watch out, he's making you cry
Just ask UTDZac about all those 9's
Game & Watch is JUDGING YOU NOW!

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
its funny that alot of people that mostly play offline make assumptions about G&W in online play.(when most of them have never played online at all lol)

In some cases,he's worse online
other characters like diddy,TL,and snake are more difficult online for G&W cuz the spam is so much harder to avoid.

DMG,i challenge you to that._.
i've done it,but it isn't as easy as you point it out to be lol(well its not hard either,but it's not easy D:<)

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
its funny that alot of people that mostly play offline make assumptions about G&W in online play.(when most of them have never played online at all lol)

In some cases,he's worse online
other characters like diddy,TL,and snake are more difficult online for G&W cuz the spam is so much harder to avoid.

DMG,i challenge you to that._.
i've done it,but it isn't as easy as you point it out to be lol(well its not hard either,but it's not easy D:<)
its a pretty boring road tbh. that's why i don't even try on the ladder, o just go full random.

btw, loved the song banhammer XD

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
With being off topic now, I would like to bring in the holidays with a special song.

This is amazing. Wow I <3 you

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
its a pretty boring road tbh. that's why i don't even try on the ladder, o just go full random.

btw, loved the song banhammer XD
meh to be honest,it is boring ;/
it's all i gotz for practice tho lol</3

wow...
that is really impressive o.O
you make it up all yourself?

save that lol
already made a aib blog out of it :X(gave u creds duh)
amazing song LOL*sings in head*

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Why thank you. I was bored enough to listen to Christmas songs to make this song.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You misread my post. I meant that GaW does well online. The characters I listed do poorly online. T.link does not do well online, he probably suffers the second most out those listed aside from IC's.
No, Toon Link is a lot better. He's impossible to approach safely on wifi, and his projectiles are very difficult to avoid. His KO moves are also very powerful and much easier to get away with on wifi. Top tier on wifi? I think it's blatantly obvious.

Falco isn't significantly worse on wifi either. His laser camping and SideB are hard enough to work around on wifi that his general inability to be safe in melee combat almost doesn't matter.

G&W does better online than offline. I can break the top 50 on an AiB seasonal ladder (not the short Holiday Ladders/Ladders inbetween the seasons) just using G&W and barely having to try since he does a lot better online than usual lol.
You just camp, and nobody else bothers to camp the way you do. That's a strategy that is applicable to any character, and G&W is not particularly good at it. Getting the percent lead in the first place with G&W is difficult since all anyone has to do to get it against G&W is wait for him to get shieldgrabbed.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
No, Toon Link is a lot better. He's impossible to approach safely on wifi, and his projectiles are very difficult to avoid. His KO moves are also very powerful and much easier to get away with on wifi. Top tier on wifi? I think it's blatantly obvious.

Falco isn't significantly worse on wifi either. His laser camping and SideB are hard enough to work around on wifi that his general inability to be safe in melee combat almost doesn't matter.

You just camp, and nobody else bothers to camp the way you do. That's a strategy that is applicable to any character, and G&W is not particularly good at it. Getting the percent lead in the first place with G&W is difficult since all anyone has to do to get it against G&W is wait for him to get shieldgrabbed.
Ok, that's ********. Falco is the saddest excuse for a character online ever, and if you disagree you've never played falco in lag.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Actually Falco isn't really nerfed by the lag much at all, though to be fair it's extremely ambiguous how bad the lag we are talking about is. I've played Thunderhorse from VA for ages and I don't think he's really unplayable on wifi. Perfect shielding being harder is only a boon to him.

Most characters with solid projectiles enjoy wifi, in fact.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well I main falco, and I can tell you that I do not use him online. Online is the main reason why I got into GaW, since falco is total **** online.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
As I noted, it's really depending on the lag you're getting. If you're getting bad lag I do agree Falco must be solidly much worse, but, on the other hand, in bearable lag (which is way more common from my experience of wifi'ing) he performs fine.

Also, welcome back Ruuku. Where did you run off to, you scoundrel?

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Also, welcome back Ruuku. Where did you run off to, you scoundrel?
I've been busy with school stuff since I'm one semester away from graduation. Plus I've been hosting a bunch of tournaments and other events. Then there's Tekken 6BR and Street Fighter 4 that have been taking some of my time.

As for this game, I still play to help my friends practice for tournaments but I'm pretty much done trying to compete in tournaments. However, I've started working on a little project which I like to call "concept matches".

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've played a pro Falco online (Enochuout). Let's just say that my G&W consistently lost most of the matches. I could beat him with Mario about 50-50ish since Mario isn't quite as hurt by lag, but with G&W, it was much too difficult to do anything to Falco with input lag botching every one of my approach attempts and making his SideB go from difficult to punish, to essentially impossible to punish (not to mention unblockable on reaction). The only thing I could do was bait approaches and hope he would run into Smashes as I predicted him.

G&W is low tier on wifi. You can't space crap and will get punished for approaching, and his average startup and long duration on attacks makes it difficult to work around projectiles. Arguably the only thing you gain on wifi is a change in timing to tech his D-throw, which good players will learn to tech anyway, and then losing the ability to techchase some characters on reaction sucks.

The only matchup G&W does better on wifi is Marth basically. Marth is also screwed by wifi since he's even more spacing and timing dependent than G&W.

If G&W really was better on wifi, then why is it that virtually nobody ever places high on the ladder with him? Other characters like Ness and Yoshi place better than he does on wifi consistently. I've done the AiB ladder a LOT with G&W, and I get destroyed in matchups like ROB and Ness which are SOLIDLY in G&W's favor offline.

Mentioning Ness, people overrate his recovery problems on wifi. As long as you just have muscle memory, his recovery is perfectly fine, and rather, better on wifi since you're more likely to get people to run into PKT2 and kill themselves. Ness also has a much easier time mindgaming people into EXTREMELY DUMB **** that is normally powershieldable on reaction, which means he gets to CAMP (which is normally not viable for him). FOW's placement on the ladder for example is a good indicator that Ness is stupidly better on wifi.

VaJaJ

Smash Cadet
I believe that's it's hypocritical to laugh at people who don't main or know anything about G&W who say he's better online and u ppl come here and judge other characters that we don't main on wether or not they are better or worse online.

But just for the record i STRONGLY disagree that G&W is better online.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Gnw is on steroids online, no doubt. I tried ladder for like, my first 2 days, got top 64 pretty quick, got into top 32, then dropped out cuz my wii broke D:.

Gnw is on steroids online, and nothing any theoryfighters have to say will make me change my mind.

If that random *** gnw from last season can place 3rd on ladder, but get last place at an offline tourney twice, you know it's dat-wi-fi.

Who cares about Wi-Fi anyway? <_<

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Rofl. Yeah the picture is a lot funnier when you get it. Until then it's just a funny/wtf picture but then it becomes legit :).

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Mentioning Ness, people overrate his recovery problems on wifi. As long as you just have muscle memory, his recovery is perfectly fine, and rather, better on wifi since you're more likely to get people to run into PKT2 and kill themselves. Ness also has a much easier time mindgaming people into EXTREMELY DUMB **** that is normally powershieldable on reaction, which means he gets to CAMP (which is normally not viable for him). FOW's placement on the ladder for example is a good indicator that Ness is stupidly better on wifi.
No

If Ness' recovery is anything like Lucas' online, you suicide based on muscle memory. I hate online with Lucas for all my life. I hate online for all my life.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I lost to a lucas online under a red connection as GaW. At that moment I decided not to do online unless I can win a prize.

Vinnie: I main falco. I'd tell you straight up but that ruins the fun I think.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
No

If Ness' recovery is anything like Lucas' online, you suicide based on muscle memory. I hate online with Lucas for all my life. I hate online for all my life.
I'm gonna have to agree with PSI here. If you do muscle memory at the reg speed, when wifi has input lag, you'll go faster and the ball will fly in a place you don't intend for it to.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I lost to a lucas online under a red connection as GaW. At that moment I decided not to do online unless I can win a prize.

Vinnie: I main falco. I'd tell you straight up but that ruins the fun I think.
That's pretty sad. But then again, it's f***ing lag-fi. It depends on your play style. I had wi-fi because I'm very on reaction based PSing stuff. I don't really spam w/ Lucas... I hate it so much, I can be much more skilled than someone, but I still lose T.T I also hate the fact that I f***ing SD atleast once every match...

Top Bottom