• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
if you must recover high, then try fast falling a nair if he comes chasing.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Bair is better when ROB is grounded, usually, while Nair is better when ROB is airborne somewhat. Obviously this isn't always true so use your own judgment when you are going to throw one of these two moves out, but for the most part it is correct.

Learning to outspace the ftilt takes a bit of time. I can't say I have done that completely as I haven't fought a ROB in ages, but it isn't too terribly hard. A2ZOMG is right in his assessment of which zone to throw it out.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
lol i missed my flight
great.
now i gotta wait like 7 hours before another flight comes up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
idd brawl is total reading
Brawl actually is very reaction time oriented.

The ability to punish in this game largely depends on your reflexes and observation.

I'd say it matters more in this game to have good reaction time than in Melee. In Melee, poking is essentially not viable due to extreme mobility and existent block strings, so in that game, it's more about technical skill and throwing out massive moving walls of priority.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I just realized that I never bothered looking up good counter-pick stages for MGaW. Anyone willing to enlighten me?

cemo

white walker
Rainbow Cruise is the staple counterpick, just watch out for the low ceiling at times. This stage always gets banned against me so I'm not actually too great on it. :p
Pirate Ship/Corneria/Green Greens if they aren't banned in your region. All excellent.
I got a pretty conservative region, so usually I'll end up taking people to Delphino or like... JungleJapes/Frigate Orpheon.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Rainbow Cruise is the staple counterpick, just watch out for the low ceiling at times. This stage always gets banned against me so I'm not actually too great on it. :p
Pirate Ship/Corneria/Green Greens if they aren't banned in your region. All excellent.
I got a pretty conservative region, so usually I'll end up taking people to Delphino or like... JungleJapes/Frigate Orpheon.
I always get RC banned on me. I usually counter-pick DP, so I guess that is good. It sucks that I can only do Wi-Fi though.

NatP

Smash Ace
Well, on the new European ruleset, it seems that rc is going to be banned, solely because of meta. I find it dumb considering there are some characters that can also do well here (like g&w). But I guess that if it's banned, I'll just go to delfino.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat. MK isn't even going to CP RC against a lot of the cast anyway, so I don't see why banning it resembles a good idea remotely. If you guys really want to punish MK, do 7 starter strike out and for even more kicks legalize Green Greens or even Yoshi Island (Pipes). Norfair is good too, but a lot of people think it's especially good for MK (it isnt).

Anyway that's dumb. MK isn't overwhelming or even near broken with even the US' rulesets which practically always have RC no exceptions. I would complain, tbh, because this ruling really doesn't curb MK like they expect and it screws you over more than any MK pretty much.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol you don't have to pick RC or brinstar because they're good for G&W

it's all about what you're most familiar and comfortable with
(though most G&W's are most familiar with them anyway lol)

personally,i **** on lylat D:

how come nobody has mentioned delfino plaza yet?:o

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
idk but delfino plaza is where i mostly ****.

usually green greens is banned, so i learned to **** in delfino instead.

cemo

white walker
I usually cp delfino. ):
'cept i used it against a diddy which turned out to be a bad idea. >.>;

dunno about brinstar for that matchup either. pokemon stadium, maybe?

Splice

Smash Hero
I consider good CP stages for GaW to be stages to use against his bad MU's, so Toon Link, MK, Snake, Diddy and MK and Marth. And Diddy and MK and Snake can all do alright on Delfino (Snake less), I'd probably only use it against Marth.

Brinstar is good, it's also one of our least likely to be banned really good counterpicks.
First we lost Corneria, then Green Greens, and in most places Norfair and maybe even Rainbow Cruise :(

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
guys imsosad today

G&W group hug anyone D:?

LOL

splice.

TL is great on delfino,isnt he?

i love it against snakes tho
except 1 or 2 of the formations=/

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah probably. I've never played a Toon Link on Delfino, I've only ever played a good Toon Link once and he lives on the other side of the country.

I actually think that for some characters Battlefield is a good back-up stage for GaW, especially for characters with projectiles.

Why are you sad Penta?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
was my post deleted or did i just forget to press reply lmao o_o

anyway i said that BF..is okayish as a cp
i think G&W has too many options to resort to BF lol

and im not sad:p
was jk

dont worries lmao

cemo

white walker
Maybe in a longer set I'd resort to CP-ing battlefield. (I usually strike towards it)
Of course, if you feel it's your best stage go ahead.

Whitefire

Smash Apprentice
Welp, this friday I'm going to my first physical tourney since melee days, the brand new cyber cafe in this city is hosting a brawl tourney and I'm getting pumped for it. I've had many different mains but I met a good smash crew up here at college and I've been maining G&W for the last year so I think I have my game refined enough to do well, but I have no idea what to expect from the rest of the community. There's a few high level players around here that give me good competition so I feel like I'm tourney ready, but I haven't to this day ever played a really good metaknight or snake so I'll be reading and watching up on those matchups very closely.

I've been out of the comp. smash scene for nearly 3 years so wish me luck.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Welp, this friday I'm going to my first physical tourney since melee days, the brand new cyber cafe in this city is hosting a brawl tourney and I'm getting pumped for it. I've had many different mains but I met a good smash crew up here at college and I've been maining G&W for the last year so I think I have my game refined enough to do well, but I have no idea what to expect from the rest of the community. There's a few high level players around here that give me good competition so I feel like I'm tourney ready, but I haven't to this day ever played a really good metaknight or snake so I'll be reading and watching up on those matchups very closely.

I've been out of the comp. smash scene for nearly 3 years so wish me luck.
Best of luck, Whitefire! You're using Game and Watch so of course you'll do well! (: You got this!

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
it's old new supposedly

btw
just wanna know

what do you guys ban against snake?

i usually go FD but today some snake went halberd on me and it was kinda difficult lol
i still won but i think i woulda rather played on FD :V

izzy24

Smash Ace
it's old new supposedly

btw
just wanna know

what do you guys ban against snake?

i usually go FD but today some snake went halberd on me and it was kinda difficult lol
i still won but i think i woulda rather played on FD :V
smashville cause of the short side boundaries. I guess fd too, but i actually like it cause of the chances of snake falling into charged dsmashes and no platforms geting on the way.

Vinnie

Smash Master
FD, although there's a small cieling, there's a huge platform to nair. Easy to see grenades / c4s / mines. You can shark nair under it. Halberd is actually good against Snake imo, we just automatically reject it because of its low cieling. If you don't put yourself in the range of snake's utilt / uair, you won't get hit by it, that simple.

IMO:
Worst 3 stages against Snake:
1. Dinal Festination
2. Smashville
3. (insert flattish stage here that is sometimes banned)

Best 3 stages against Snake:
1. Rainbow Cruise
2. Delfino Plaza
3. Battlefield

...4brinstarlol

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Worst stage to play against Snake on: Halberd. Super low ceiling. Super good camping for snake because of the annoying middle platform (which you can't camp on very well imo). I haven't won a game against a serious snake here in a long time.

Final Destination is typically a bad stage, but not as bad as you might think. It's not hard avoiding all the crap he throws at you and pushing for an approach. You have to be smart, really smart.

Smashville is a decent stage against Snake. You are given a platform that allows you to camp Snake. Your crazy UpB angles make it nearly impossible for Snake to punish you while on this platform. This is where I ran time on DSF's snake, simply but waiting on the platform and forcing him to approach (ok it went to 3 sec, but still).

Frigate is a decent stage against Snake. You just have to play really smart, again. Snake has plenty of tricks and can camp well on the stage flip.

Lylat is a GREAT stage against Snake. You are given plenty of platforms. By playing smart you can force snake into the air. Also, losing track of where C4 / Dsmash are placed is your own fault. Just pay more attention to the Snake on the screen instead of your character.

Delfino is my favorite stage to take Snake, but not for the reasons you are thinking. I like it because I enjoy listening to the music while I camp =D

Brinstar is also an interesting choice counterpick. It's great because it's a small stage and allows you to combo quite well since snake doesn't have very much room to run. It also makes it hard for him to snakedash. Again, you have to be really carefully to not get killed at high percents.

I haven't taken a snake to Rainbow Cruise in a long time. I don't think it's that amazing. Snake can kill G&W ridiculously early (like 50-60%) with his aerials. I may try it again next tournament if a Snake doesn't ban it on me

I'm just going to copy/paste this post in the Snake match-up thread. You guys can continue the discussion there instead of here if you like =)

Snake Match-up Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244166

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
the platform half the size of the stage makes it extremely difficult to approach snake.
and he can kill u around 70% cuz of the ceiling.

I knew i wasn't wrong about it being a good stage for snake lol

i usually take snake too delfino too haha xD
i just hate 2 of the formations tho

anyway,thanks guys, helped alot

just wanted to clear it up:)

Top Bottom