• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

§chizm

Smash Lord
I'm just going to tell you a few stories from my pools this weekend:

Story #1
I have to plan a ditto against another G&W. Never met him before. On game 2, he tries to judgment me. I space it a fsmash him back. Then as he's recovery back to the stage, I say out loud "Hey, you just got a judgment. That means mine's going to be a judgment too." Then, as he airdodges back on the stage, I throw out a sideB and it's a judgment. Video will be up later.
I definitely tried that when I had to play him and totally didn't work. :(
Didn't land any 9s. Sad day.

i feel so vulnerable on FD

it's like not having a coat on in the winter

that's how i literally feel on FD LOL

ledges = G&W's coat D:
Every time I have to play on FD I feel like I'm just going to lose. I need my platforms.

NatP

Smash Ace
Wow I feel like I have helped to make this social thread more active now haha. And FD is without a doubt my most hated neutral. Maybe it's because I main character that don't have projectiles, lulz.
And it's not that I really HATE the g&w marth/snake/mk matchup. I just like using DK for them over g&w.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Wow I feel like I have helped to make this social thread more active now haha. And FD is without a doubt my most hated neutral. Maybe it's because I main character that don't have projectiles, lulz.
And it's not that I really HATE the g&w marth/snake/mk matchup. I just like using DK for them over g&w.
You mean Diddy?

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
fd is too, plain.
platforms<3

What the hell? What region?

I've only gotten top 8 once, out of 64. NY / NJ came.
Panama.
im usually getting 4th/5th. i could of actually took top 2, or won last saturday but i got gayed by an MK planking. (50 ledge grab rule was in tact, he got 49 >.<!!)
only tournament ive been to in the states wasnt so big since it was a biweekly (about 30/40 people) i still got top 8. lol

hopefully results show this saturday when I go back to the states, going to the halloween bash tourny in GA.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
this forum got hella active for one day.
then died down again.

sup kids

Vinnie

Smash Master
Apparently I think I lost an argument, Dark.pch is getting ranked higher than me in the NY PR. I lost the argument because Inui's on his side, and it's the internet, so Inui automatically wins. Somehow Dark.pch still won, even though I 2 stocked him and he gets soo many inconsistent results.

Oh well.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
On a scale from 1-10 how amazingly smart is going game and watch only at tournament with 3 snakes, 1 marth and 4 mks, all who are good at brawl?

NatP

Smash Ace
It's 9 just because I love that number so much. <3

Seriously now, I'd say.... 4? Like, it's not that dumb of an idea, but when you can use so many other characters that have better matchups with those specific chars, it's not that smart. :/ But I guess that if you really knew the matchups, like crazy good, then it would be 6 or something.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Apparently I think I lost an argument, Dark.pch is getting ranked higher than me in the NY PR. I lost the argument because Inui's on his side, and it's the internet, so Inui automatically wins. Somehow Dark.pch still won, even though I 2 stocked him and he gets soo many inconsistent results.

Oh well.
Talk about Inui logic lmao.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful

Oh well.
D:! Doh! What happened?
On a scale from 1-10 how amazingly smart is going game and watch only at tournament with 3 snakes, 1 marth and 4 mks, all who are good at brawl?
Uhm.. Yeah, I would say about a 4, too.. maybe even a 5. Will there be other characters you are going against? Haha! It would suck if there were only Snakes, Marth, and MKs! How well are you at those match-ups? I'm pretty decent with MKs, so I don't have an issue with them, there is only one Marth but Marth would be something I'm terrible at. Snakes are kind of here or there.. so that's why I would say a 5.. but even then, they are all bad for Game and Watch.. but hey! Good luck!! You can do this! Haha! Represent!! :O

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I'd do it! I'll take a full Snake bracket any day, any tourney.

@Ally: I still want my money match =(

I say 10 because going all G&W is always the smartest choice no matter the competition.
Agreed.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol no

i use all G&W for tourneys and aib ladder :p

ike is just for funsies and LT's tourney,if there ever is one xD

always good to have a LT side main for those kinda events

but im not too great at G&W dittos so i switched to ike when i was paired with PGN ._.

Vinnie

Smash Master
lol no

i use all G&W for tourneys and aib ladder :p

ike is just for funsies and LT's tourney,if there ever is one xD

always good to have a LT side main for those kinda events

but im not too great at G&W dittos so i switched to ike when i was paired with PGN ._.
His Ike has beaten me twice then.

Last hit with my Peach on delfino,

LOW TIER TOURNEY EACH MATCH FINISHED AT 1 STOCK 150% EACH. BEST ****ING SET OF MY LIFE.

:smash:

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
pkmn trainer is 100% better for LT tournies.
sorry :D

and how can you use GW on the ladder, i find it hard to use online >.<
thats why i use tlink on the ladder.

full gw on tournies though weeeeee

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W sucks on wifi. Don't use him there. It's just depressing.

Mario however is the best low tiers character...or maybe Samus. Those two characters actually can camp, and have existent pressure games and decent KO setups (even if their KO moves are on the weak side). I personally think Mario and Samus should be banned from low tiers, except for the fact that nobody has bothered placing first in low tiers consistently with them yet, partly due to those characters requiring a pretty steep learning curve.

Or you can get away with the PT as long as you abuse Squirtle a lot...but then you'll fail when you switch to Ivysaur and Charizard.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
yeah it is pretty depressing to use gw in wifi. ive even tried "abusing" of wifi with gw, it still doesn't make him good at on it.

actually charizard can duke it out pretty well, he's a faster version of bowser. just know you'll get hit a lot since he's big. ivysaur, well just get him offstage no point in using him, even for LT tournies.

napZzz

Smash Hero
am I the only one who think (in singles) GnW is really bad? like c tier, an average character?

also, GnW is broken on wifi. I dunno what you're talking about. He's alot harder to punish and its easier to land his kill moves.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
am I the only one who think (in singles) GnW is really bad? like c tier, an average character?

also, GnW is broken on wifi. I dunno what you're talking about. He's alot harder to punish and its easier to land his kill moves.
well he ain't for me since i got gay button lag.
i play gw 2fast for wifi
wifi is just fail in general.

and gw isn't that bad in singles, deff low B, high C tier material, he still ***** more than half the cast, but can't handle most of the higher tier ones. soon enough we'll find another broken AT for gw like BB. maybe then we can beat mks, diddys, snakes, marths with ease until they find a way around it.
idc though i still use full gw for both singles and doubles, and i don't change.

napZzz

Smash Hero
everybodys main is bad on wifi. But the character itself is good. know what I mean?

and yeah, he's just not effective nowadays since all his bad matchups are common played characters :/

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Probably. He's obviously not C tier for multiple reasons, and his matchups are really good aside from vs Marth and Metaknight really (which are like 6/4 out of his favor, then Snake and Diddy are more like 55/45, and Wario and Falco are even). For people who think he doesn't **** anyone, that's false. If you know low tier matchups, almost all of them are at least 70/30 G&W played correctly, and Luigi basically can't win against G&W either.

G&W is much much better than C tier because he has safe KO moves and shield pressure, and an extremely good juggling game, not to mention essentially ungimpable recovery, and some sick edgeguarding with lingering hitboxes. Sure, his startup is only average, but his ENDING lag is EXTREMELY low on most moves. Only UTD Zac plays him correctly however, and otherwise his representation is garbage ever since LeePuff fell out of the picture. You must be playing those pretty common n00b G&Ws if you think he's bad.

Also, G&W is extremely good on counterpick stages for various reasons.

G&W is A tier material, and his matchups are balanced in that tier.

No, he's 1000x easier to punish on lag. He's more prone to making a spacing mistake that can be shieldgrabbed, his recovery gets ***** a lot by lag, and winning spam wars gets even harder. He is EXTREMELY spacing oriented, and lag ***** spacing, and makes it much harder to powershield, which is another big negative more for G&W than most characters. A matchup like ROB that G&W should be winning very easily offline actually swings to ROB's favor on wifi due to how much easier it is to camp when the opponent is unable to powershield or space properly.

Furthermore, no good G&Ws place on the ladder ever. Like seriously.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
ugh its so hard on ladder seriously >.>

i always get gayed out by characters like TL or diddy

they are so much harder to approach online >.>,

G&W isnt so great in lag,idk where people got that from=/

at my pace,i should be top 30 pretty soon tho T-T

keeping that place is going to be hard tho

schoolskool</3

cemo

white walker
I have trouble with ROB vs Game and Watch. ):
Whenever I try to do anything I get jabbed/grabbed/f-tilted.

The matchup tends to be me getting damage racked up on me while trying to pop ROB up for a juggle.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
Rob is a pretty telegraphed and predictable character. Just shield his gyros, powershield or bucket lazers how ypu wanna do and space your bairs and fairs. Remember our nair beats his nair.

The matchup is mostly about reading your opponent.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Rob is a pretty telegraphed and predictable character. Just shield his gyros, powershield or bucket lazers how ypu wanna do and space your bairs and fairs. Remember our nair beats his nair.

The matchup is mostly about reading your opponent
what...? lol

but you do that for every match up o_o

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

The matchup tends to be me getting damage racked up on me while trying to pop ROB up for a juggle.
Space better.

Make sure when you're zoning that you're close enough that throwing lasers and Gyros is risky for him, but you are outside of his F-tilt range. If you do an attack at this point, you will outprioritize him unless he does a psychic F-smash when you move in range. ROB's shield is also extremely horrible. Take advantage of this as much as you can.

The goal of this matchup is edgeguarding him to force high recoveries and set up juggles. Remember that fullhopped F-airs hit him very easily, and that you can U-air stall him practically infinitely.

All you need to do is get him offstage first with B-air, which goes back to my original point that you must improve your spacing and zoning. Once you get in that hit that puts him offstage, BE AS AGGRESSIVE AS POSSIBLE. ROB is a character who basically can't do crap when G&W edgeguards him, and similarly enough he can do even less when you juggle him.

And lastly, avoid wifi and Luigis Mansion. ROB has tons of ridiculously dumb crap on that stage, like a D-tilt lock, the ability to camp through pillars, instant Gyro item toss setups thanks to the pillars, yeah. Really dumb.

Vinnie

Smash Master

When I was a wi-fi player, I had countless matches online. Some characters were popular online, like falco, ROB, mk, etc.

Idk I just played Holy like 6 or 7 times, played the other robs like TeeVee and Jamnt0ast, Raffi, ended up getting super beast at the matchup lol.

All of the other gnws say that bair is really good against rob, but nair, imo, is so much better. You can just juggle them to oblivion, it has a large hitbox, and ROB has a large frame, it's fairly easy to connect.

Dthrow utilt -> juggle is awesome too.

If you end up getting a bucket, the only 100% safe way of using it is offstage when rob is recovering, he can't air dodge during up-b.

Also perfecting the glide toss (gnw's glide toss is really good but hard to do) is a really good thing to do, too, because it comboes into fsmash.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
what...? lol

but you do that for every match up o_o
lol i was on my phone.
to elaborate what i meant to say is the matchup is mostly about predicting when he's gunna lazer and gyro. after you got taht down you should be good to go if you space correctly.

cemo

white walker
STOP GIVING HOLY GAW EXPERIENCE D:< It's hard enough already.

Nair isn't something you should jump into people's shields with, though. Once you got him in the air it's great, though.

For spacing, I wanna go with something similar to Snake? Close enough to punish and pressure, but far enough to avoid ftilts and whatnot.

How do you lure ROB out from under platforms? Sometimes I catch him with a dair through a platform but it's iffy, can I get my shield up in time to avoid uptilt/upsmash?

A lot of the time when I'm hit I have the habit of trying to buffer out a nair, but that just leads me to getting fair'd repeatedly. Should I airdodge or up-b instead? And when recovering, high or low? I'm thinking low, recovering high usually gets me nair'd or something. When getting up from the ledge he usually tries to catch me with bairs, sometimes I get him with the up-b and sometimes I just eat it.

Remembering all this is making me frustrated. D;

Top Bottom