• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oxnard Smash Presents: A Brawl/Melee Tournament (12/13/09)

DJMirror

Smash Master
a lot of the ranked players have respectable marths too
WTF?

not macd

i'm like 4-0 in marth ditto against him

i'm also like 3-0 in my marth vs his sheik from oregon

and not hugS's sick *** marth

i'm sure drunk *** romeo can beat his marth.

Lovage

Smash Hero
1. hugs + lucky
2. lovage + s2j
3. replicate + embracethe12
4. hall + oats
5. gishnak + sheen

1. lucky
2. hugs (larry, lucky)
3. larry (lucky, hugs)
4. lovage (lucky, hugs)
5. rombo69 (larry, lovage)
7. replicate (lucky, romeo)

all i can remember off the top of my head

i'm bored of tiny socal tournies where i play the same 2 ppl every weekend
hopefully gonna stop going to ones like that

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
@Oscar: I agree. I'm not going to enter singles for a while unless it's a big tournament.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
well after experiencing 5-10 tournaments where there's nothing but ranked people, it just gets annoying. playing lovage/hugs/zhu second round then having to play someone like fly or macd immediately is gay and not fun at all. plus, it just feels like I'm giving money to Mango/Lucky/HugS/Zhu every tournament. it's definitely not worth the $5 if I play the same people that I lose to over and over again. Big tournaments make it more likely for me to play people I've never played before, therefore, making entering worth it.

/rant

pockyD

Smash Legend
at least as a noob you get your *** beat by a different person every time

the real solution is to step your game up and stop losing to those same people!

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
Tourney was great! Shoutout to Pat and Bigfoot for hosting

GGs to everyone I played there

Lovage

Smash Hero
at least as a noob you get your *** beat by a different person every time

the real solution is to step your game up and stop losing to those same people!
that's fun when you're an up-and-comer and there's a whole world of players you can prove yourself against. but when the competition gets stale so does your motivation to try your hardest

this is why doubles *****

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i agree with both pocky and oscar

i just didn't agree with this:

plus, it just feels like I'm giving money to Mango/Lucky/HugS/Zhu every tournament. it's definitely not worth the $5 if I play the same people that I lose to over and over again. Big tournaments make it more likely for me to play people I've never played before, therefore, making entering worth it.

/rant
if everyone had that mentality, then we'd have nothing but arcadian tourneys

i think the whole thing about getting stale though is just another challenge to overcome, but i understand what you guys mean

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
WELL when you lose to the same people over and over again, competition just gets boring. that's what I was getting at.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I don't know. I really want to beat McCain after losing to him over and over and over. That's prevented me from getting into a total motivational slump.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
I know what you meant

i was just picking at your john because it reminds me of being a noob

hence my reply

i'm sorry i was out of line

YES good job, fly
i approve lol

you JOHNERS

LuCKy

Smash Master
i guess i know what you mean connor lol in a sense anyways

although to all of you ****ers

i was getting ****ed up by larry like every tourney back in the day

so itd be mango,larry,me as the results lol n since the tourneys would be small id make like 4.50 LOL

although every time id lose to him i couldnt wait to play his *** again n try harder than the last time

then a year later the same thing happened with zhu n he beat my *** constantly,making me wanna get even better

LOL same thing with hugo he was getting fuuuucked up when he first came back to melee but the old timer never gave up (although if you guys seen what i did to him this tourney you would understand if he wanted to quit singles too)

my point is though lol having someone to beat that can **** you always makes the tournament that much more fun for me. which is basically hugo/zhu and now kira cuz he scares the **** out of me lol

back when there was like 8+ ranked people to beat that are better or just as good as you was such a amazing feeling. why aint you *****s like that lol

oscar - i gotta have a serious talk with ur *** especially about fox dittos lol ******* you a very much one of the people i consider a threat in socal but you stopped what you do best vs me . . . i guess i got in ur head somehow

SuperRad

Smash Master
well after experiencing 5-10 tournaments where there's nothing but ranked people, it just gets annoying. playing lovage/hugs/zhu second round then having to play someone like fly or macd immediately is gay and not fun at all. plus, it just feels like I'm giving money to Mango/Lucky/HugS/Zhu every tournament. it's definitely not worth the $5 if I play the same people that I lose to over and over again. Big tournaments make it more likely for me to play people I've never played before, therefore, making entering worth it.

/rant
i get where you're coming from, i guess. it sounds to me like you dont have the competitive spirit though.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i would say it just seems like you guys are getting frustrated with not being able to advance, and are giving up instead

BUT

even if you guys got better you'd probably be playing the same people (though at least you guys would feel better)
but if you guys were at the top you could probably travel more and stuff like mango lol

HugS™

Smash Lord
Connor, Lovage, and whoever else is complaining about the stale competition of Socal...

I don't think you guys are aware of what you're missing out on in terms of opportunities to better yourselves as players.

With similar competition every weekend, you have the chance to hone your skills in ways that few others can. This is especially true in a region where the skill level is so **** high. Rather than giving up vs those players that you can supposedly never beat, you should appreciate the fact that you have the distinct opportunity to play them in tournament on a regular basis.

These players exploit your weaknesses better than anyone else can because we all play each other so often. Like Connor, I can tell you that your tech chasing and comboability with peach is excellent, but you are bad at baiting moves from your opponent, so that a defensive player, like me, can feel relatively safe the entire match.

Lovage, youre offense is ridiculously good and your shield pressure is almost unmatched, but you suck complete d*** at retaining a lead because you can't seem to worry about your own safety at any point in the match. Protecting yourself should be your number 1 concern when you have a full stock lead or more. You never do this.

As a player who has played you both enough, I can exploit these things. In fact, because of you guys, I can exploit this in almost any player anywhere.

Variety adds fun and adds depth to your game, but it doesn't help to perfect the skills you already have. And that is the most important thing to take into OOS competition. The point of going OOS is to come in a strong fighter, and leave stronger. Not to come in weak, learn some new tricks, then not know how the things you learned fit into your game/style.

Take your in state competition, as stale as it may be, as your training. Really, the only person who should be complaining about a stale game is Mango.

When I started up, my betterment came from practicing with my crew, the same 5 people, on a near daily basis. As socal became bigger and more diverse, my rate of improvement decreased. I got better, but at a slower rate because I didn't have anyone to hone my skills with. It was much harder to see the flaws and strengths in my game and improve upon it.

So use this, become better, make socal the best region in the nation, and variety will come in the way of higher oos attendance, more interest from new socal players by way of videos and results, and hell, you may even entice some top smashers to move into our beloved region to better themselves or relish in the competition (Chu, Forward, Vidjo)

Top Bottom