• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overswarm's PROVE IT Contest!

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I take friendlies seriously; I always play my best, and will play my main if asked to. Otherwise, I'll use friendlies to keep my other characters in shape.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I said "people," not "everybody." Even so, your actions and ideas clearly do not define the norm. And if you posted that just to get it out there... cool story bro?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Ugh. Fine. I give up. I don't know why I'm fighting anymore. I always end up playing on Starters more than anything else. It's getting obvious nobody is going to change the way they see things. I suppose I'm just trying to defend stages for the sake of it. I like trying new things *shrugs*

I don't care how you write me off. My terrible social skills should not be a reflection of my smashing skills.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended anybody in this thread, but I feel like I have been directly attacked this whole time when I could have easily been assisted and set straight.

Sigh.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I would even go so far as to say that by using a restrained stage list you are becoming dependent on neutral stages and on the ability to lose the first the set and have a chance at coming back on the opponents counter pick.
This.

I do not understand the idea that tournaments are the place you learn to be better. A tournament has always struck me as the test of the player and friendlies as the homework. When I go to a tournament I plan on trying to win and after it is over I look at how I preformed and look to correct the mistakes I made. I don't take a math test so that I become better at math, I do the math homework so I can pass the test and learn.
Also very true. Tournaments do make you better. However, they are a test of CURRENT skill levels. Tournaments exist to test who is the best on a given day. Not to make everyone better who is there. Your practice for the tournament should occur the days/weeks leading up to said tournament...not the day of. Like homework.

Also, Ankoku, you still get better from friendlies. If you are an amazing player that doesn't try during friendlies and 2-stocks your opponents...then your opponents will hopefully be thinking hard and getting better. You? Maybe not, but that is your choice. In the end someone is winning/losing and chances are if you are losing you are trying to win and working at it. If you are playing a great playing who is "not trying" and you are still losing...then why would he need to try harder than his current level of play? You should still be learning and adapting and working to beat him regardless of how hard he is playing. So long as you are losing, you are doing something wrong, and so long as you are doing something wrong, you should still be learning.

---

I don't really play friendlies at all at tournaments simply because I don't want to enter a mindset where what is going on is anything less than do-or-die.

Kel

Smash Master
I saw Kel get 2-stocked first game by Nope, cp to Equity, THREE STOCK NOPE, and then proceed to get cp'd to Battlefield and 2 stocked again....

You fail to point out that Sai then went on to lose 3rd game. I'm guessing Kel picked either a custom, Rainbow, or Norfair.
I got 1 stocked first game by Nope because I accidently hit the tornado button when Nope had a c4 on a Lylat plat. I even said "****" right as I hit it because I knew I was getting c4ed. Nope was high damage, last stock and hit off the edge.
I 2 stocked him low percent on equity
He CPed me to Halberd. On my second stock I went for a risky up B, missed, and he fast fell to the ledge before me while I was at a very low percent. He 1 stocked me that game too.

Nope and I go back and forth, so if your point was that Nope should have 2-0ed me had it not been for customs, that's not a fair judgement at all. I 3-0d Nope in Loser's finals this past weekend but I wouldn't doubt that Nope could come back next weekend and 3-0 me. That's just the way the two of us work- regardless of stages. But when citing matches you should at least try harder to be correct about them.

In addition, sometimes I go super crazy during matches. A couple weeks ago in the grand finals vs Overswarm he 3-1'd me- but the game I won I 3 stocked him. I even recall this one match where you 0-cool guy'd me twice in 30 seconds round 2 and I almost made a 3 stock come back against you. Saying "KEL 3 STOCKED HIM! IT HAS TO BE BROKEN!" is not a legit reason as I occasionally do that to people. It could have been you too (seeing as I almost took off 3 of your stocks without losing one of mine).

Sai won legit on Pictochat. It's a good diddy stage. You can't take that away from him.

I picked frigate and 2 stocked him for the third match. I hate Norfair.

Also: Anther I'm surprised that you like Mansion now because you used to hardcore want it banned. I remember trying to tell people it wasn't bad and you all just cited MK's tornado as being too broken there. I guess everyone finally learned that get-up attack hits through tornado lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ugh. Fine. I give up. I don't know why I'm fighting anymore. I always end up playing on Starters more than anything else. It's getting obvious nobody is going to change the way they see things. I suppose I'm just trying to defend stages for the sake of it. I like trying new things *shrugs*

I don't care how you write me off. My terrible social skills should not be a reflection of my smashing skills.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended anybody in this thread, but I feel like I have been directly attacked this whole time when I could have easily been assisted and set straight.

Sigh.
Your social skills have nothing to do with the fact that you did not bring up a single proper point the entire time. Your points have all either been irrelevant or very obviously not researched. Whenever people pointed out that you were flat-out wrong on those points, you would look past that and instead be upset over their attacks on you. How mean or polite they are about it doesn't change how wrong you were about your point.

Furthermore, every time you don't like where things have gone you start bringing up "I'm the victim" paragraphs where everybody disagrees with you (for reasons obvious to everyone except, apparently, you) and you are forced to play to rules and stages that you dislike, and how people are such scrubs over not viewing things from the other side, etc. etc.

This is a thread full of people who were debating/arguing/yelling at each other. That you expected total courtesy coming from practically nowhere (I've never seen you travel down to the Midwest for any tournaments, so why you felt your words needed to have weight in this thread is a mystery to me) and saying such things like "people who don't like counterpick stages are just bad at them," "if you want to ban all these stages then you're scrubs," and, my favorite, "top pros don't want the stages because they suck at them and don't want to learn," is somewhat wishful thinking.

So hey, it's two posts after I mentioned you'd probably want to step out, but looks like you finally get it. :V

Also very true. Tournaments do make you better. However, they are a test of CURRENT skill levels. Tournaments exist to test who is the best on a given day. Not to make everyone better who is there. Your practice for the tournament should occur the days/weeks leading up to said tournament...not the day of. Like homework.

Also, Ankoku, you still get better from friendlies. If you are an amazing player that doesn't try during friendlies and 2-stocks your opponents...then your opponents will hopefully be thinking hard and getting better. You? Maybe not, but that is your choice. In the end someone is winning/losing and chances are if you are losing you are trying to win and working at it. If you are playing a great playing who is "not trying" and you are still losing...then why would he need to try harder than his current level of play? You should still be learning and adapting and working to beat him regardless of how hard he is playing. So long as you are losing, you are doing something wrong, and so long as you are doing something wrong, you should still be learning.
This is all pretty much correct. However, if a tournament is to be a test of what you've learned and how far you've gotten, then intentionally going against national standard is effectively like testing for foreign language translations in an English exam. If a tournament's rule set deviates too far from the norm, then you are basically testing skill in a completely different format. At that point, what does winning the tournament signify? Best at tournaments with a ton of stages not seen in other regions? I don't know how many people want to measure that subset of skill, but I'll venture a guess at 40.

I guess everyone finally learned that get-up attack hits through tornado lol.
Not Sheik's. ;_;

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Not Sheik's. ;_;
Off-topic:

I'm curious... why?

If this is the case, does teching the first hit on the ceiling and then nairing knock MK out?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
My completely random guess is that her get-up attack is too close to the ground.

I wonder if I'm right.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm just glad I saw it before it was deleted.

Funny thing is, the anonymous troll was Big Dog and TheSoviet was "me too". XD

Anyway: I wondered the same thing Panda, but that just seems OFF, doesn't it? o_O

I'm interested in this because I never really though about punishing gaps in a getup attack with a tornado. If you could do such a thing to certain characters, it'd mean a guaranteed tornado on knockdown.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
I'm just glad I saw it before it was deleted.

Funny thing is, the anonymous troll was Big Dog and TheSoviet was "me too". XD

Anyway: I wondered the same thing Panda, but that just seems OFF, doesn't it? o_O

I'm interested in this because I never really though about punishing gaps in a getup attack with a tornado. If you could do such a thing to certain characters, it'd mean a guaranteed tornado on knockdown.
just because I agreed with it doesnt mean it was me. the person who it was got ip banned...and Im still posting so it wasnt me.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
just because I agreed with it doesnt mean it was me. the person who it was got ip banned...and Im still posting so it wasnt me.
?

I was referring to B ig Dog and Me Too, two interlinked internet personalities.

Prawn

Smash Master
TWAS I WHO DUN IT.

IM SPARTACUS. no jaykay but this thread is still dumb.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
TWAS I WHO DUN IT.

IM SPARTACUS. no jaykay but this thread is still dumb.
it really is. this thread needs to get locked and the word custom stages needs to stay were it belongs...middle school brawl tournaments.

swordgard

Smash Hero
What the hell is wrong with you people.

Lain flaming OS, then everyone joining in.

Overswarm is obviously an intelligent TO. He chose stages, made something daring, but actually gave you part of the choices.

Overswarm is basically waving at you a big flag saying: "Heres a chance to prove me wrong, do it rationally and I will remove the stage and change my opinion". If you guys can't see how it's your job to prove him wrong, then you don't deserve in any way to even choose any single stage on the list. You guys are actually showing how irrational you can be, and tbh I am very ashamed by some of the people who posted here.

EDIT: You don't win an argument using senseless flaming, you bring up facts and reasonning. What you guys are doing is awful.

Prawn

Smash Master
How the **** are people supposed to compose a video proving why a stage should be banned? Do you know how much time that would take? He can't just be provided with a simple paragraph and maybe a match example?

That's like telling someone to defend themselves in court when they have little to no legal experience. It's just dumb

If anything he should be stating his case as to why they AREN'T banned because it goes against the norm of other tournament scenes.

But I really dont care I'm just here for the lulz

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655

Overswarm is obviously an intelligent TO. He chose stages, made something daring, but actually gave you part of the choices.

Overswarm is basically waving at you a big flag saying: "Heres a chance to prove me wrong, do it rationally and I will remove the stage and change my opinion". If you guys can't see how it's your job to prove him wrong, then you don't deserve in any way to even choose any single stage on the list. You guys are actually showing how irrational you can be, and tbh I am very ashamed by some of the people who posted here.
no body cares.

Notra

Smash Ace

yeah i agree. overswarm, is very intelligent. wink ;]

swordgard

Smash Hero
How the **** are people supposed to compose a video proving why a stage should be banned?

If anything he should be stating his case as to why they AREN'T banned because it goes against the norm of other tournament scenes.

But I really dont care I'm just here for the lulz
You prove something needs to be banned, not the other way around.

That is always how it worked in competitive scenes. If nobody can prove akuma is ban worthy, you don't need a vid to show he is not.

And it is really easy to make such videos, just find a friend and show what breaks gameplay in the stage. Now, people stop being idiots and trolling, this is actually important and relevant to the community.

solecalibur

Smash Master

Who gave him the god given right to chose the stage list for the midwest's circuit,

We can simply say just dont go to the tounry and wait for another but he is making the stage list REQUIRED for anyone hosting the MWC event including custom stages and not even making those optional because he knows if he made customs or some of these borderline banned stages optional they would never be picked for a tounry . Im glad OS is trying new stuff , great make the community better but when there is an outburst about them shouldn't go back to the drawing board?

I'm not even sure anyone from the other regions knows how these stages were introduced as I am all for custom stages but how they are mandatory for a circuit event is just ridiculous

swordgard

Smash Hero
Who gave him the god given right to chose the stage list for the midwest's circuit,

We can simply say just dont go to the tounry and wait for another but he is making the stage list REQUIRED for anyone hosting the MWC event including custom stages and not even making those optional because he knows if he made customs or some of these borderline banned stages optional they would never be picked for a tounry . Im glad OS is trying new stuff , great make the community better but when there is an outburst about them shouldn't go back to the drawing board?

I'm not even sure anyone from the other regions knows how these stages were introduced as I am all for custom stages but how they are mandatory for a circuit event is just ridiculous
Hes the one in charge of it, he does what he want with it. If you want to make a tourney not in MWC, then go ahead. If you do, abide by his rules. Finally, hes giving you the chance to prove him wrong, if your so confident about your stage set, prove the problem with his and propose yours. Finally, this will give you guys a unified stageset.

EDIT: And hes offering money for it?!??!? What in the world is wrong with you guys. You can prove him wrong and get payed for it O.o

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Looks like someone bit into OS' "it's all flowers and daisies" approach quite easily. He won't be convinced otherwise.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Hes the one in charge of it, he does what he want with it. If you want to make a tourney not in MWC, then go ahead. If you do, abide by his rules. Finally, hes giving you the chance to prove him wrong, if your so confident about your stage set, prove the problem with his and propose yours. Finally, this will give you guys a unified stageset.
Thus proving the use of my word GOD
MWC's rule set should be run by TOs not just by Overswarm , The OC has some guide lines but the stage list wasn't pulled out of no where (unless you have acess to the backroom WHERE majority of the people that go to tounrys DO NOT) and even with that a lot of TO's were caught off guard about this stage list
(--- not a TO
If OS really wants to make a tounry dont add the label MWC or at least test it at other tounrys other then the little known tounrys I've heard of

Another post I missed...

You prove something needs to be banned, not the other way around.

That is always how it worked in competitive scenes. If nobody can prove akuma is ban worthy, you don't need a vid to show he is not.

And it is really easy to make such videos, just find a friend and show what breaks gameplay in the stage. Now, people stop being idiots and trolling, this is actually important and relevant to the community.
So my next tounry im hosting,
I'll introduce Sumit because I think we didnt examine the stage enough when we first banned it and if you know all of the "tricks" I think you will find it a enjoyable stage! You might even find it fun because I think brawl is dull and melee is AMAZING! Oh yeh this is a major circuit event and I tested this stage many times so "trust" me Im so good at this. BUT if you find something wroung with this stage make a video because I dont feel like making a video showing why its a good tounry viable stage because I should host the circuit event's rules

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sorry, I was out coding and forgot to check on Smashboards.

OS: I honestly have no idea, but as far as I can tell it's because Sheik's wakeup attack is capable of clashing, while most of the rest of the cast doesn't.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Thus proving the use of my word GOD
MWC's rule set should be run by TOs not just by Overswarm , The OC has some guide lines but the stage list wasn't pulled out of no where (unless you have acess to the backroom WHERE majority of the people that go to tounrys DO NOT) and even with that a lot of TO's were caught off guard about this stage list
(--- not a TO
If OS really wants to make a tounry dont add the label MWC or at least test it at other tounrys other then the little known tounrys I've heard of

Another post I missed...

So my next tounry im hosting,
I'll introduce Sumit because I think we didnt examine the stage enough when we first banned it and if you know all of the "tricks" I think you will find it a enjoyable stage! You might even find it fun because I think brawl is dull and melee is AMAZING! Oh yeh this is a major circuit event and I tested this stage many times so "trust" me Im so good at this. BUT if you find something wroung with this stage make a video because I dont feel like making a video showing why its a good tounry viable stage because I should host the circuit event's rules

Overswarm is in charge of the circuit, so he choses.

Also, i would easily prove to you sumit is broken, simply as this. Otherwise, i simply would not go to your tourney, not act like an immature child by flaming you without proving anything.

Make your own circuit/tourneys and do as you wish.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I just read the rest of the posts I missed. I didn't realize how little I missed.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
One extra note about varied stage lists:

It can skew the tier list due to tourney results having a different spread of characters because of "janky" counterpicks.

Little notice to TOs: As long as your stage list doesn't have these, I will be there:
Shadow Moses
Bridge of Eldin
New Pork
Temple
WarioWare
Flat Zone
Spear Pillar
Summit
Mushroomy 1-2
Hanenbow
Mario Bros
75m

I would like people to quote this if they feel the same, and also add a list of stages they would never play a tourney/money match on. Don't flame me. Just quote and add as much as you wouldn't play on. This will bring us closer to a list we honestly can agree on.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Overswarm is in charge of the circuit, so he choses.

Also, i would easily prove to you sumit is broken, simply as this. Otherwise, i simply would not go to your tourney, not act like an immature child by flaming you without proving anything.

Make your own circuit/tourneys and do as you wish.
OS wasn't elected to be in charge to my knowledge
no one in the backroom said OS should host it and the rules
I know the MWC is a title and I could name my next tournament Super Awesome World Circuit Event and no one would recognize my tournament as a world circuit event but people in the MWC are recognizing this event as a Midwest circuit event so they don't want their territory represented like it is now because everyone outside of are area is laughing there ***** off at us

My analogies get me no where.... Im glad you can prove Sumit is not tounry worthy that was the point of my analogy. That is how some people view these new stages and custom stages.

also if you could take a personal question so I sort of get the perspective of where you are coming from. Did you know how these stages where introduced? Also do you know about recent discussions we had about these stages?

Hey, how about this? Instead of whining about making a video, save the replay, put it on your SD Card, and file transfer it to him.
Does anyone read my posts? Some people dont have access to this! Not everyone has an SD card not everyone goes to tounrys and we are shutting them out because we have a "format" that complaints must be taken in for.

I myself am going to try this as I will have some time to waste this winter break and Im "whining" about how this was introduced not about the stages

One extra note about varied stage lists:

It can skew the tier list due to tourney results having a different spread of characters because of "janky" counterpicks.

Little notice to TOs: As long as your stage list doesn't have these, I will be there:
Shadow Moses
Bridge of Eldin
New Pork
Temple
WarioWare
Flat Zone
Spear Pillar
Summit
Mushroomy 1-2
Hanenbow
Mario Bros
75m

I would like people to quote this if they feel the same, and also add a list of stages they would never play a tourney/money match on. Don't flame me. Just quote and add as much as you wouldn't play on. This will bring us closer to a list we honestly can agree on.
I really hate to tell you this but I think you just made a list of stages that wasn't on OS' list from the OP Im sure Onett would be there if it wasn't on OS' list

The only stage I'd really refuse to go to (adding from your list) is if Onett is on the stage list , custom stages are bearable as I did go the MWC but shouldn't introduced how they are now

solecalibur

Smash Master
Thanks, sole. With this civil mentality, we can actually get somewhere with this thread.
Nothing in this topic has moved one inch other then OS posting MW's problems on brawl stage discussion , If you seriously think im flaming or trolling I think I'd put a little more effort into it
The only border line flaming I had is the facepalm image

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I tested this stage extensively, in tournament and off. None of the hazards by themselves are game breaking, but in conjunction they make the stage unplayable. Circle camping seems to be the design of the stage followed by a slowfall aerial mode. It is slippery, yet no ledges, and when the water comes it brings about a OHKO fish (you can always avoid this, though it means getting hit with whatever your opponent likes).

In all, the circle camping is what did it in. OHKO fishes that are easily avoidable by jumping is distasteful, and being forced to avoid it by eating a fair to the face isn't good at all, but this doesn't mean the stage would revolve around this. A OHKO doesn't really mean much when Japes' water can do the same thing on the left side; you just avoid those locations. But the circle camping puts further emphasis on this OHKO, making it nearly impossible to fight except when you should be avoiding confrontation. That is, when the water comes up to fill the bottom.

The lack of edges in conjunctino with a slippery surface is also unnerving. An actual "combo" is to Ike F-smash someones shield, they hit the water, and you charge an f-smash and hit them when they jump out (or they get eaten by the fish). Cool and creative, but creates a risk/reward scenario that is too low risk for too high reward on such a common basis that it is foolish not to do it. This is similar to camping Corneria's fin; there's no reason NOT to do it, and it only hurts you otherwise.

solecalibur

Smash Master
I tested this stage extensively, in tournament and off. None of the hazards by themselves are game breaking, but in conjunction they make the stage unplayable. Circle camping seems to be the design of the stage followed by a slowfall aerial mode. It is slippery, yet no ledges, and when the water comes it brings about a OHKO fish (you can always avoid this, though it means getting hit with whatever your opponent likes).

In all, the circle camping is what did it in. OHKO fishes that are easily avoidable by jumping is distasteful, and being forced to avoid it by eating a fair to the face isn't good at all, but this doesn't mean the stage would revolve around this. A OHKO doesn't really mean much when Japes' water can do the same thing on the left side; you just avoid those locations. But the circle camping puts further emphasis on this OHKO, making it nearly impossible to fight except when you should be avoiding confrontation. That is, when the water comes up to fill the bottom.

The lack of edges in conjunctino with a slippery surface is also unnerving. An actual "combo" is to Ike F-smash someones shield, they hit the water, and you charge an f-smash and hit them when they jump out (or they get eaten by the fish). Cool and creative, but creates a risk/reward scenario that is too low risk for too high reward on such a common basis that it is foolish not to do it. This is similar to camping Corneria's fin; there's no reason NOT to do it, and it only hurts you otherwise.
This kind of explanation needs to be on the OP (link to it) on the certain stages you picked , I know its a lot of effort and I probly wouldn't have enough motivation to do so but a lot of people dont see where you are coming from with certain stages/custom stages
(if you already did link to it and have people argue about your statements if they dont like it)

I was being extremely honest and sincere in that quote you sited. No sarcasm, I assure you.
Oh sorry not having a good week
Im not in the best mood so I take things a little to personal then what they should be , my arguments would also be a lot more passive normally :laugh:

Top Bottom