• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

IvanEva

Smash Ace
4) MK vs DCU review: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/929/929012p1.html
5) I'm moving to Niagara come February / March
Yeah, the reviews seem to be what I expected. They're more focused on the whole replayability features and such instead of depth though. Heh, and they all lavished so much praise on Brawl for having 'endless' variety. LIES! Event or adventure mode sucked!

On an almost irrelevant note, 360s are becoming very scare. :(

On the Niagara note: WHAT THE FUCK!? WHY!?

PND

Smash Champion
Well, I've been talking about it / tossing the idea around for a while.

Essentially, my grandmother is almost 80 and is recovering from what could have been a fatal surgery. My immediate family is moving down there to be closer to her for help / in case of an emergency, and a crisis like this really makes you appreciate family. I'm going down, I'll spend 6 months down there and see what I think. I may move back afterwards, or I may stay. I have contacts down there (in smash, and not in smash) so I won't be completely alone.

And being closer to T.O. and Buffalo will help my career. That's the gist of it.

<3 all y'all.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
You know we'll miss ya man, but I don't think you'll find a single person here who won't be understanding. Family has to come first, and if this is what's best for you, I think it's safe to say we'll be supportive. I know what it's like to have a family member in a situation like that so if you ever need to, I dunno, talk about it or anything, just give me a shout. I hope everything ends up going well for her.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have a way to capture/upload video's onto youtube, I want to create a few Snake tutorial vids, particularly one about his awesome glide toss.

I think Jan can. *Turns on the Jan batman signal* I SUMMON THEE lools :)

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I have a thing that puts stuff onto my pc, but I need to actually put it on DVD-R/VHS for it to work properly.

And unbeatable God of Smash, Mike? Is that why All-Brawl had it's way with you? :laugh:

infomon

Smash Scientist
I can upload vids as well... turns out I'd forgotten about our digital video camera lol.... I'm working on a Sonic tutorial atm :laugh:

I can lend you the cam, or if you have stuff saved as replays then that's easy for me to record/upload as well... your call.

Fogel

Smash Lord
(PND)Mike: Congrats on the Niagara news! We will be sorry to see you go, but it sounds like it will be good for you personally, so best of luck out there when you do head off.

The Go tournament today was awesome, I won't get into too many of the details here as this is smashboards.com and not goboards.com (I wonder if that even exists...) but it was pretty cool. Ben showed up as well and we had a pretty good time.

The seating arrangements were interesting. They had the best players at the front of the room, and the weaker you were, the further back your games take place. I guess normally dan-level players like Ben don't normally hang out near the back of the room (Ben is 1 dan...16 ranks stronger than me, for a point of comparison). I'm 15 kyu, and I was right at the back. Apparently, this kind of separation is pretty normal for Go tournaments. I didn't know they did this kind of thing until today.

Favourite moment of the day: Ben came to see me at the back of the room, where most of the weaker players were. Anyways, I was playing a game with a friend, and Ben was sitting next to me, talking with us. A kid showed up, sat across from Ben, and asked for a game. They started setting up, and the kid asked Ben his rank. '1 dan.' The kid went like this:

:O

Sort of the Smash equivalent to asking some guy at a fest/tourney for a game and finding out as you start playing that it's KingAce/Percon/whomever.

Also, Ben beat a 3 dan in an even game, what a tank!

buenob

Smash Lord
LOL I had a tonne of fun, but Cam was the one who beat a Japanese ambassador giving him like 8 stones :)
way to make him feel welcome in our country :p

and my game against the 3dan was epic... like chess, there's a clock for playing go... each player has 1 hour exactly to make all of their moves, so after about half the game when we were going quite even, he had 55 minutes gone and I had about 30, so he literally couldn't think anymore...

and I'm not going to give him time to think on my turn! so we ended up playing some speed go, and he made some terrible johns at the end because of it... but in the end we were both laughing, and the spectators were laughing too so it was a great time (and a fantastic game too)

all in all, more people should play go :)

ps. looks like the LBT tournament is a bit sketchy, i'm still going to visit family, but I may not even compete... check out the drama for some epic lolz

Suo

Smash Apprentice
I can upload vids as well... turns out I'd forgotten about our digital video camera lol.... I'm working on a Sonic tutorial atm :laugh:

I can lend you the cam, or if you have stuff saved as replays then that's easy for me to record/upload as well... your call.
Oh cool, so like if I had saved replays I can just send them to you? I'd rather not borrow the camera unless absolutely necessary, though that is very kind of you to offer, just cuz they're very valuable :p.

Cam/Ben: Haha, Go sounds pretty cool! I read like a few issues of a Manga about Go, it was really funny because it would intersplice like these spirits battling with the moves on the table or w/e haha.

That's how it is in real life right?

Anyone interested in Thurs. Smash at my place?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oh cool, so like if I had saved replays I can just send them to you? I'd rather not borrow the camera unless absolutely necessary, though that is very kind of you to offer, just cuz they're very valuable :p.
Yeop, I'll just bring my SD card to the next smashwhatever. I might be able to do thursday.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
LOL I had a tonne of fun, but Cam was the one who beat a Japanese ambassador giving him like 8 stones :)

and my game against the 3dan was epic... like chess, there's a clock for playing go... each player has 1 hour exactly to make all of their moves, so after about half the game when we were going quite even, he had 55 minutes gone and I had about 30, so he literally couldn't think anymore...

and I'm not going to give him time to think on my turn! so we ended up playing some speed go, and he made some terrible johns at the end because of it... but in the end we were both laughing, and the spectators were laughing too so it was a great time (and a fantastic game too)

ps. looks like the LBT tournament is a bit sketchy, i'm still going to visit family, but I may not even compete... check out the drama for some epic lolz
Yay, sounds like it was fun. I need to come out there sometime. JANUARY MONTREAL THING!

Fogel

Smash Lord

The handicap thing was kind of confusing. I had to play an 11 kyu first round (4 ranks difference) but he only had to give me 2 stones instead of 4. However, when I played the ambassador second round, who was 8 ranks weaker, I had to give him 8 handicap stones? Wtf?

The only reasoning I could think of was that they restricted the handicap in the first round because the matches 'mattered' for deciding who was first, whereas my second round match was between two people who were 0-1 already so it didn't 'matter' anymore. Either way, some consistency would have been nice, or at least an explanation as to why it wasn't consistent.

Hopefully I'm not banned from Japan/the Japanese embassy for winning :/

From that match, I can kind of understand why you would get tired of playing handicap games against much weaker players. Although it was still tough to win, the situations the game came up with weren't that complicated (very basic ataris and L&D situations) and things were kind of repetitive. There wasn't much 'whole board thinking' going on at all. Although I won the fights pretty easily, he still managed to hem me in (by always playing close) so I could never build up much influence. Anyways, I would feel bad if your games against me felt like that to you; it's definitely more fun to have to use all of your knowledge (ie: playing people at or a bit better than your level).

Your game vs. the 3 dan sounded fun, I wish I had stayed for longer. We already talked about it in person so I won't get into it more here. The finals in the top group were pretty interesting too, but I felt that I didn't understand everything that was going on.

Cam/Ben: Haha, Go sounds pretty cool! I read like a few issues of a Manga about Go, it was really funny because it would intersplice like these spirits battling with the moves on the table or w/e haha.

That's how it is in real life right?

Anyone interested in Thurs. Smash at my place?
If you're talking about Hikaru no Go, that's how I first found out about Go :) It sounds like you may be referring to HnG.

Also, could you PM me directions to your place? I may show up on Thursday if I have time.

Yay, sounds like it was fun. I need to come out there sometime. JANUARY MONTREAL THING!
Andy! It's been too long since we've seen each other, I miss you :(

Are you still playing Go? I started up KGS again if you're still playing online, user name there is also Fogel.

Also, what Montreal thing are you referring to? Go tourney? Smash tourney?

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Andy! It's been too long since we've seen each other, I miss you :(

Are you still playing Go? I started up KGS again if you're still playing online, user name there is also Fogel.

Also, what Montreal thing are you referring to? Go tourney? Smash tourney?
I miss you too :(

I am playing a bit, I go to the go club every other week or so when I don't have a lab conflict and play a game, I gotta re-download KGS, I'll see if I can get online sometime.

And Chet said something about a Smash tournament in Montreal late January, not sure how that is coming along though...

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Everytime I try reading Toronto threads I feel like I'm going swimming in a giant vat of Jello. There's just too much that I don't know so I don't end up 'getting it'. Care to sum it up?

Thurs. Smash at my place?
What time? I have my usual dealie at 7pm.

Cam: What's with that handicap stuff? Is it the equivalent of playing chess with less pieces? Seems like something that'd be demeaning to your opponent...

If Anyone Has Mk Vs Dcu, Bring It Friday!!! I Wanna Try It And Pwn Some N00bs :d :d :d
I'll Bring My 360 If I Have To!!!!!
Awesome! I doubt I'll have a 360 by then (since Zellers isn't going to get more until there's a black Prime Minister) but I should have MK vs. DCU (Yes, I buy games before systems...) so I'll bring it. Don't forget to sign up for the bi-weekly if you haven't already. If you'll have a 360 and I'll have the game I'm almost tempted to suggest that we scrap the bi-weekly and just play at my place. There probably won't be a TV for MK with a tournament going on.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I would suggest showing up before 7:30 to play some MK vs DC. Ill try it out but I doubt ill play after that. From some reviews (one really) it said there wasnt that much depth so it may get boring quick.

Who cares to play Squash this weekend? If theres enough interest ill try to get the goodlife member to join us but ill need to know before friday.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
That's what I said about MK vs DC. There's some cool aspects about it but after a while it gets boring and it does pretty quickly.

I'm game for Squash!

Fogel

Smash Lord
I miss you too :(

I am playing a bit, I go to the go club every other week or so when I don't have a lab conflict and play a game, I gotta re-download KGS, I'll see if I can get online sometime.

And Chet said something about a Smash tournament in Montreal late January, not sure how that is coming along though...
Sounds good...let me know what times you're usually online and I can try to be on at those times. I was thinking of trying to make Tuesday a 'KGS night' and try to convince other Go players I know to play then, but we'll see how it goes.

A smash tourney in January sounds like fun, would be good to see the out-of-town smashers again.

Cam: What's with that handicap stuff? Is it the equivalent of playing chess with less pieces? Seems like something that'd be demeaning to your opponent...

Awesome! I doubt I'll have a 360 by then (since Zellers isn't going to get more until there's a black Prime Minister) but I should have MK vs. DCU (Yes, I buy games before systems...) so I'll bring it. Don't forget to sign up for the bi-weekly if you haven't already. If you'll have a 360 and I'll have the game I'm almost tempted to suggest that we scrap the bi-weekly and just play at my place. There probably won't be a TV for MK with a tournament going on.
The goal in Go is to surround territory. Normally, the game starts with a completely empty board, but in a handicap game, the weaker player gets to place stones on the board ahead of time. The handicap stones help the weaker player to form territory, and also to use their existing stones to put pressure on the stronger player. It's said that each handicap stone is worth about 10 points.

The way the Go ranking system works is that, for each rank difference between two players, the weaker player puts a handicap stone down. With this system, each player should now have an even chance of winning. For example, if a 20 kyu player were to play a 22 kyu player (the 20 kyu being 2 ranks stronger than 22 kyu), the 22 kyu would put down 2 stones on the board first, and then the 20 kyu could make his/her first move.

In theory, the stronger player should be able to use more advanced techniques, better fighting tactics, more complicated situations, etc. to overcome the disadvantage in a handicap game to make it an even game.

You asked for the short version, but I gave you the long version anyways...sorry :p

Also, don't feel bad about buying games before you have the system. I've done that twice - Dawn of Sorrow for the DS was bought a couple of months before I owned a DS, and Disgaea 3 was bought a month and a half before I owned a PS3 :)

For the DoS case, I'm a big Castlevania fan, and really liked SotN for the PS1. However, it was impossible to find SotN, and when I saw DoS in the store I figured I'd buy it in case the same thing happened with it. For Disgaea 3, I intended to buy the PS3 sooner than I actually did.

Who cares to play Squash this weekend? If theres enough interest ill try to get the goodlife member to join us but ill need to know before friday.
I won't be able to make it this weekend because I'll be out of town, but I'll definitely make it out for future weekends.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I would suggest showing up before 7:30 to play some MK vs DC. Ill try it out but I doubt ill play after that. From some reviews (one really) it said there wasnt that much depth so it may get boring quick.

I'm up for that as well.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I don't think I'll be making it for Thursday, James D: Sorry. It's my best friend's birthday and I wanna give her a call in case the card doesn't reach her by then, or at all x.x

But I'm still up for the bi-weekly o/

IvanEva

Smash Ace
That's what I said about MK vs DC. There's some cool aspects about it but after a while it gets boring and it does pretty quickly.

I'm game for Squash!
It depends on what 'level' you're going for. If you're "casual" then yes, any fighting game will get boring for you. Smash has always grounded itself on trying to avoid that for as long as it can but I'm betting that 90%+ people who bought Brawl have long since stopped playing it.

Fighting games (rather, any competitive game) are only exciting when you have people to play against. If it wasn't for this Ottawa community I have no doubt that I'd be long done with Smash. When SFIV comes out I'll try my hand against at playing against those SRK forum guys. With Mortal Kombat... ummm... I'll play against Jan? Riley? And... ... ... :( If people pick up the game it can be as exciting and challenging as any other fighter. Remember that in a fighting game, as in Go, Chess, etc., it's always comes down to a 'battle of the minds'. That's when they start to become truly fun.

Yes, more squash is needed. Wednesday?

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Squash on the Weekend? Sunday? Where would we play on wednesday?

SF has people playing competitively because its deep. Otherwise I should be seeing MKII/III/whatever the 3d ones are called tournaments every few months. Actually for all I know these tournaments could exist but are not widely known.

buenob

Smash Lord
I also think MK just has a bad rap... I can see the newer ones being semi-viable fighting games, though they do completely lack the depth of tekken // soul calibur (the other 3d fighters)

sf4 is gonna be intense... I'll probably call up my SRK friends when it comes out and see if they will be having some get-togethers so hopefully we'll all get awesome quickly :)

arsenic41

Smash Ace
awww man...I want to give SF4 a try, I've always liked the street fighter games but was never really that good at it. And SCII was fun Ben :D

Also, I think harold was reffering to people coming to smash on wednesday, I'm in. If not, I don't think enough people are free to play squash on a weekday, at least on sunday almost everyone is free.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol I did feel bad for 3-0'ing you so frequently, but I was still getting into it... I didn't say anything but when I played kilik for the first 2 rounds I was like 'wtf am I doing' because I was trying to remember their movelist (which at one point I had every characters movelist in memory) but then I stopped trying to remember and stuck to my bread/butter and then all of a sudden I was inputting the commands for the moves and thinking to myself "aha! that's how to do that move"

lol, sc2 is pimp but I am so out of practices... the only char I could mindgames you with was ivy :(

arsenic41

Smash Ace
lol I did feel bad for 3-0'ing you so frequently, but I was still getting into it... I didn't say anything but when I played kilik for the first 2 rounds I was like 'wtf am I doing' because I was trying to remember their movelist (which at one point I had every characters movelist in memory) but then I stopped trying to remember and stuck to my bread/butter and then all of a sudden I was inputting the commands for the moves and thinking to myself "aha! that's how to do that move"

lol, sc2 is pimp but I am so out of practices... the only char I could mindgames you with was ivy :(
I wasn't exactly expecting to win when I mentioned SC2, I only played with friends and stuff. But even so I liked playing, we should have a crew match next time :p

joblin

Smash Apprentice
MK games never really gripped me into them. I'm not quite sure what it was about them. On the other hand I did like to play MK Armageddon and after playing MK vs DC, I think I still like it better. MK had neat things but it didn't mask the lack of interest problems for more than I wanted it too. The only reason I really want to play MK vs DC is for the DC characters.

Soul Calibur was a good game but I always found myself losing to a noob because I always play to look cool rather than play to win and if you get a novice in there they just mash kick you and I don't feel like guard striking + hit them the whole match.

I think we have at least 4 people interested in Squash this Sunday so I think we should make it official and plan away.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
MK games never really gripped me into them. I'm not quite sure what it was about them. On the other hand I did like to play MK Armageddon and after playing MK vs DC, I think I still like it better. MK had neat things but it didn't mask the lack of interest problems for more than I wanted it too. The only reason I really want to play MK vs DC is for the DC characters.

Soul Calibur was a good game but I always found myself losing to a noob because I always play to look cool rather than play to win and if you get a novice in there they just mash kick you and I don't feel like guard striking + hit them the whole match.

I think we have at least 4 people interested in Squash this Sunday so I think we should make it official and plan away.
I liked how the last squashfest just turned into Rockband 2 / Custom Robo fest. So should we look into actually booking a court this time?

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Okay guys, Thursday is confirmed for my place.

I have a fairly small room, and so I think to preserve comfort and sanity I'm going to limit it to
4 people+myself.

I think the only really fair way to do it, without excluding anyone, is to make it first come first serve.

So... The first 4 people to post after 12pm in the afternoon, Wednesday (tommorrow) will be able to come over. That gives everyone plenty of time to see this message.
I love you all, and anyone is welcome, the only reason there is a limit is because of space constraints.

I'm working on moving it upstairs for future days, but it'll take a lot of prep time so we'll see.

I'll be home from 3pm onwards on Thursday, so feel free to show up any time after that, and we'll end it around 10:30pm, just because I have to work early the next day. Don't forget
to bring controllers! :)

Oh and I'll PM you directions Cam, in case you can come, and anyone else who needs them just ask.:)

Fogel

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what all this talk is on squash being Wednesdays, but I can't do Wednesday nights because I play ultimate on Wednesdays for this season.

Okay guys, Thursday is confirmed for my place.

I have a fairly small room, and so I think to preserve comfort and sanity I'm going to limit it to
4 people+myself.

I think the only really fair way to do it, without excluding anyone, is to make it first come first serve.

So... The first 4 people to post after 12pm in the afternoon, Wednesday (tommorrow) will be able to come over. That gives everyone plenty of time to see this message.
I love you all, and anyone is welcome, the only reason there is a limit is because of space constraints.

I'm working on moving it upstairs for future days, but it'll take a lot of prep time so we'll see.

I'll be home from 3pm onwards on Thursday, so feel free to show up any time after that, and we'll end it around 10:30pm, just because I have to work early the next day. Don't forget
to bring controllers! :)

Oh and I'll PM you directions Cam, in case you can come, and anyone else who needs them just ask.:)
I got the directions, thanks. I guess I'll have to hope that there's room left by the time I get home from work :/

joblin

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure what all this talk is on squash being Wednesdays, but I can't do Wednesday nights because I play ultimate on Wednesdays for this season.
I just think Harold had a stroke or something. Don't mind him and his drooling. Squash will always be on Sunday because of general availability. Ultimate sounds fun, I've played in High School and our team on geeks beat all of the jocks, gym and super gym teams. It was pretty cool and we never lost a game and actually only got like a couple points scored on us the whole time.

Having said that, I still prefer more even games. It's kind of like smash (or pretty much any game) in that close games always push you to the limit more than a game where the opponent is significantly stronger/weaker than you.
I totally agree with you. Plus it's just more fun too.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Although even games are probably funner I prefer getting ***** since it means I can only improve. Although this is only true if I can continuously play the person who is beating me. One game wont be enough. This happened at Niagara with chester in melee, he destroyed each game but being able to semi-continuously play him (there was another guy there) was irresistible.

Harold: Can I show up around 7 at your house tomorrow?

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Although even games are probably funner I prefer getting ***** since it means I can only improve. Although this is only true if I can continuously play the person who is beating me. One game wont be enough. This happened at Niagara with chester in melee, he destroyed each game but being able to semi-continuously play him (there was another guy there) was irresistible.
I can see that but sometimes it's no use and you just get frustrated at losing.

Top Bottom