• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

joblin

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna buy a PS3, either this coming Friday, or two weeks after. It sorta got my thinking though, if I buy a PS3 arcade stick for SF4, will that be compatible with a 360? or is there a way to make it so. Ben has a 360, Harold will have a 360, and I definitely wanna have a stick for SF4.
I don't think there is anything that is Xbox 360 and PS3 compatible unless it is a third party accessory, but even then its usually only cables that come multi compatible.

Niko: Awesome combo video, I've never actually met you in person. Do you find weed makes you play better? A cousin of mine is absolutely beastly with games when he's high.
At least when I'm either drunk or high it does make playing games interesting. The best are games like GH or RB when you need timing. I played Mario Kart and it's so much better. But enough of that.

I'm about 15k at this point, and I think I was one of the worst/the worst there; the competition level seems pretty high.
That's how I feel with Brawl, lol. I'm too good for casual but at the bottom of the competitive scene. It's like wearing a half size in shoes. Not a 9 but not quite a 10.

Fogel

Smash Lord
That's how I feel with Brawl, lol. I'm too good for casual but at the bottom of the competitive scene. It's like wearing a half size in shoes. Not a 9 but not quite a 10.
A lot of it is how much time you spend practicing/learning advanced techniques. Most of the top players here are playing a couple of times a week, plus actually pay attention to new developments on the boards. Going to tournaments (biweeklies are ok but bigger tourneys are better) will also help, because you'll see a bunch of new stuff and get to play a lot of new people/characters/styles, which all help improvement.

I know you've mentioned you don't really have time to play during the week, but to really improve you have to put more time into it. For me personally, I put more focus into other parts of my life, hence why I'm now heading for low/bottom tier :p I don't like it, but at the same time I don't care enough about Brawl to divert more effort to it right now.

PND

Smash Champion
Not blindsided, blind sighted

It's not spoilers at all . . . >_>

And I only get to play Brawl at the 'fests and biweeklies. I just keep up with what's found and try to mentally prepare myself.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
A lot of it is how much time you spend practicing/learning advanced techniques. Most of the top players here are playing a couple of times a week, plus actually pay attention to new developments on the boards. Going to tournaments (biweeklies are ok but bigger tourneys are better) will also help, because you'll see a bunch of new stuff and get to play a lot of new people/characters/styles, which all help improvement.

I know you've mentioned you don't really have time to play during the week, but to really improve you have to put more time into it. For me personally, I put more focus into other parts of my life, hence why I'm now heading for low/bottom tier :p I don't like it, but at the same time I don't care enough about Brawl to divert more effort to it right now.
I completely understand you and agree. I do try to play from time to time but it is against a computer, which only helps a little. I do plan to improve but I can't do that at the rate of these young hooligans can with their predictable school schedules. Maybe someday I will break out of the bottom tier but until then I'm shredding Locus with my chainsaw! My blessing is I can jump into any game and instantly be good at it but my curse is that I never get great at any game.

Spoilers Alert! One of them gets a million dollars and a car then there's a reunion at the end where they all love each other. But seriously, Survivor = Lame because it's like season 72! And the only reason people are watching it is because I guy is named Ken.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I just bought metroid prime 3 so... I am not gonna play brawl much aside from smashfest.

Also, what kind of fighting do you do Mike?

buenob

Smash Lord
yeah well i gotta say i`m pretty busy in the evenings, so I`m trying to work things out, but needless to say I am hard at work doing nothing as always... I gotta get my housemates on board for a saturday night or schedule it for friday so that it would conflict with a smashfest.. it sucks but I can`t do it during the week as I had previously suggested

(not this/next week, but prob the week after... i know it's a while but it's the best _I_ can do... if someone else wants to organize one then by all means)

cam: cool, I guess I'll meet you at the go tourney, and I look forward to running into you more than the 1 or 2 times a month (or none) I currently do

suo: yeah he's got the glidetoss that cancels his throw-lag, same as link and every character who doesnt have a reg. glide toss... sick mindgames on the approach with those, though they are better for non-snake (ie. link)

if I'm missing something, i'll respond later... since no one is going to be able to drive to toronto, it'll prob. be ~150 for the round trip (i have a place me + 2/3 could stay, but more than that we'd have to get a room) for food // bus

if you think you have it bad, I'm not technically a "student" so i get gouged for adult prices...

anyways, g'night y'all

infomon

Smash Scientist
I might be able to host rockbandparty on Sunday; I've got the place to myself, it's big with big tv, and I can prolly hook up some big speakers.

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
The chances I can make LBT are slim. Money and huge assignment due on the monday.

Claim kingace, I'm sure he'd be down! (percon cant make it irc)

joblin

Smash Apprentice
I could possibly host a Rock Band day. But unsure when exactly. I already have RB2 + instruments, which could help uncomplicated things and if someone else wants to being another set there is room for it depending on how many people would want to come.

PND

Smash Champion
That will change once I figure out a practical way to light my hands on fire during an actual fight. Once I figure that out, watch out UFC! Falcon Pawnch = top tier.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Just thought I'd say Mike, things should still be good if you need a ride there (assuming there's no weird insurance troubles with you driving one of my folks vehicles since...for some reason they won't let me drive them to Ottawa at night. :( ). Oh, and I seem to have gotten my Wii online, and offline again so that it doesn't work...without doing a thing! :laugh:

PND

Smash Champion
Um, I'm not sure what your 'rent's insurance policy is like, whether or not they would allow me to drive. You'd have to discuss that with them.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
suo: yeah he's got the glidetoss that cancels his throw-lag, same as link and every character who doesnt have a reg. glide toss... sick mindgames on the approach with those, though they are better for non-snake (ie. link)
No no, I remember that, this is different, this is an honest to goodness 'wavedash'. He get's slightly less distance than Rob and Diddy, it's really really good though. The frames to input it are pretty harsh, but after about 2 days of practice, I'm getting fairly consistent.

RANDY! how did your tests go? Are they over yet?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Rawwwwwwr I'm gonna be coming to the SmashFest today, so...yeah, ALLBRAWL.

Tomorrow I'm getting a birthday card for somebody in Maryland and a haircut, so next week, I'll look totally less cool, if at all possible :O

See you guys!

arsenic41

Smash Ace
alright guys important note...BI-WEEKLY REGISTRATIONS BEING SUNDAY AT 8:00 AM! register at the bi-weekly thread, can be found on page one of this thread for new comers.

also...as if we tanked 6 large pizzas, 6 cinnabuns, and 6 liters of pop tonight, amirite?

IvanEva

Smash Ace
:( Looks like I failed to get All-Brawl to appeal to the majority... However, it's still my preferred way to play for various reasons. Congrats to Moses for coming first (with Derek coming second with me lagging behind at third). I don't think that Derek and I can blame the items for your victory; we need more Metaknight practice.

Just in case other people missed it: Sonic cannot infinite stall under edges to stall a match (not that Sonic is ever going to be a stock ahead...). Air dodging and/or spot dodging will make him plummet and even if that somehow doesn't work (Infzy mentioned something about it but I haven't been able to do it) you can always count on an item messing things up for him.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
also...as if we tanked 6 large pizzas, 6 cinnabuns, and 6 liters of pop tonight, amirite?
Too good! Next week, we may have to top ourselves again... *shudder*

:( Looks like I failed to get All-Brawl to appeal to the majority... However, it's still my preferred way to play for various reasons. Congrats to Moses for coming first (with Derek coming second with me lagging behind at third). I don't think that Derek and I can blame the items for your victory; we need more Metaknight practice.
I actually enjoyed All-Brawl, it definitely had some epic lulz and good times.
I'd be more than willing to play some more, I just don't think it will ever replace good ol' regular Brawl for me. I encourage you to keep hosting some tourney's though Harold :)

INFZY EDIT: EVERYONE WATCH THIS VIDEO BY INFZY, BEST DI/RECOVERY TUTORIAL EVARR

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=njcYW0rFmUg

Amazing stuff Infzy, mad props, if you ever need help testing things in Brawl, I'd be more than happy to help. You obviously have a very good mind for this type of stuff.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oh, thanks yo :) well it doesn't cover DI, but in the related vids there's arkivezero's "Things you should know: Directional Influence" which is good (and new).

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Oh, thanks yo :) well it doesn't cover DI, but in the related vids there's arkivezero's "Things you should know: Directional Influence" which is good (and new).
True, I wasn't sure what to call it, perhaps a 'How to survive longer' video? :p
Great stuff anyway!

1) Mike: Excellent work with that video
2) Ariel: For sure. What are you trained in?
3) James, Randy, and Andrew: We are Pizza tanks!
4) MK vs DCU review: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/929/929012p1.html
5) I'm moving to Niagara come February / March
Nooooo! THINK OF 'THE LIL BRO' :p

arsenic41

Smash Ace
anyone up for some squash/hangout sometime tomorrow? I am free from morning to early afternoon.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
sorry i couldnt make it yesterday. my computer is dead but im not sure what the problem is. its really frustrating, almost as much as typing on a wii...
anyways, anyone know of a place that i can have my pc checked?
mike: i didnt forget about you.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
That's an excellent vid tutorial Mike. Very detailed with lot's of examples and informative, even if you already know the information.

I'm not sure what I'm doing tomorrow... I've been playing Gears lately. Managed to beat all 50 lvls in Horde this Friday. Took us 4 hrs straight.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
1) Mike: Excellent work with that video
2) Ariel: For sure. What are you trained in?
3) James, Randy, and Andrew: We are Pizza tanks!
4) MK vs DCU review: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/929/929012p1.html
5) I'm moving to Niagara come February / March
Brazillian Jiu-jitsu. Also, I ahve a bit of boxing, muay thai and kung fu mixed in, but mostly it is negligible so I'd rather stick to rolling =)

Top Bottom