• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

PND

Smash Champion
I got my internets! Wooo!

I'll be coming into Ktown tomorrow or Wednesday to chill with Tyler for a bit, then I'll likely come up on Friday (?) to Ottawa. Any chance I can get some bBrawl in with Alan / whoever else is interested? Or maybe Brawl Doubles this week to make up for you guys missing it last week? I dunno, holla back. I wanna play some (b)Brawl.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh, you have internets, sweet. I gave my mom your cell last night, so she'll probably text you when they decide what's going on in regards to when she/sister are heading back. Yeah, it might just be a few hours notice but well....hopefully that won't interfere with things.

And Mike, on a side note, I noticed that PS3 controllers are around $50, and before you left we were talking about ways to pay the money back so.....yeah, just a thought. :laugh:

PND

Smash Champion
Okay, I'll grab a PS3 controller for you. THAT MEANS WE CAN PLAY STREET FIGHTER!!!

And Holy at a biweekly would be awesome. Show him real some Ottawa DI :devil:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Sweet. Mom says she and sis are spending the night at my dad's place in Port Hope, so they'll be leaving in the morning. Oh, and forgot to tell you I got Soul Calibur IV a little bit ago too (and I've got someone wanting to trade me some limited edition BlazBlue for Lair and Resistance 2, so uh...woo since it's probably a good deal on my end regardless of my thoughts on BlazBlue) so we can play that and unlock people.

...And that's a wrap. lol

Fogel

Smash Lord
According to the map, I'm located in the south-east end of Ottawa, so getting anywhere seems pretty easy so far.
Do you need to know how to get to my place for Friday, or are you going with someone? FYI, my address isn't in the first post because I'm e-paranoid. PM me if you need it.

I got my internets! Wooo!

I'll be coming into Ktown tomorrow or Wednesday to chill with Tyler for a bit, then I'll likely come up on Friday (?) to Ottawa. Any chance I can get some bBrawl in with Alan / whoever else is interested? Or maybe Brawl Doubles this week to make up for you guys missing it last week? I dunno, holla back. I wanna play some (b)Brawl.
I'll play a few rounds with you for sure!

Ill try coming next biweekly, I wanna try bBrawl and play some smash with you guys. Anywho where are the biweekly held at and whats the address o.o
Looks like I'm taking a break at the wrong time :(

Sweet. Mom says she and sis are spending the night at my dad's place in Port Hope, so they'll be leaving in the morning. Oh, and forgot to tell you I got Soul Calibur IV a little bit ago too (and I've got someone wanting to trade me some limited edition BlazBlue for Lair and Resistance 2, so uh...woo since it's probably a good deal on my end regardless of my thoughts on BlazBlue) so we can play that and unlock people.

...And that's a wrap. lol
FYI, there aren't any unlockable characters in BB. The only thing you need to unlock are Astral Heats for certain people. They're not super-important or anything (at least, not that I know of...I've never seen anyone actually try to use one in a real game yet).

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I actually meant I still need to unlock some more people in Soul Calibur IV, Cam. My bad for not clearing it up. And even if I DID mean BlazBlue, with how trading over the internet works, wouldn't get it for like 3 weeks still.

buenob

Smash Lord
@ pho - if you need a bus-buddy, i could meet you at UO (or somewhere) to get to fogels on friday
@ holy - bi-weekly will be at my place, I can house you (and anyone who wants to come) fri night, but i work thurs/sat night
@ tyler - yeah man, the only time I've seen someone mention AH's is when I commented on the epic sandbagging some lvl ******** did which gave me the game... he said he wanted to AH finish...
@ fogel - i'll be coming this friday :) woot... maybe if you're interested we could get a game of go in?

@ everyone -- i just finished a contract for carleton! w00t... check out cutv-web02.carleton.ca/edc/wordpress
it is turning into cutv.carleton.ca in 2-3 days...

@ everyone again -- i have no work until saturday night! so like, 4 days off! i need to relax, since I slept 4x in 7 days (pulled 3 all-nighters) to finish the contract, and I'm itching for some smash/random whatever

Fogel

Smash Lord
@ fogel - i'll be coming this friday :) woot... maybe if you're interested we could get a game of go in?

@ everyone -- i just finished a contract for carleton! w00t... check out cutv-web02.carleton.ca/edc/wordpress
it is turning into cutv.carleton.ca in 2-3 days...

@ everyone again -- i have no work until saturday night! so like, 4 days off! i need to relax, since I slept 4x in 7 days (pulled 3 all-nighters) to finish the contract, and I'm itching for some smash/random whatever
Yeah, I'm down for Go on Friday. Slightly off-topic, but don't forget about your DGS games...there's one where you only have 2 days of gametime left :/ Also, cool-looking CU site. *moved rambling to Ottawa HD Remix*

PND

Smash Champion
This friday, might it be possible to run Brawl doubles? (Or Balanced Brawl doubles . . . :laugh: :devil:)

I might not be able to stay too late, and a bit of $money$ would make my travels easier. :chuckle:
Oh snap, I went there.

Side note: I'm basing my boasts of winning money entirely on the presumption that I get to team with Bryant, or barring that, Dave, Cam, Randy, or Ben. :)

In actuality, I'm suggesting this because doubles is by and far my favorite event. As I mentioned earlier, I may be leaving a tad early depending on plans.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
Ill try coming next biweekly, I wanna try bBrawl and play some smash with you guys. Anywho where are the biweekly held at and whats the address o.o
Generally the bi-weeklies/fests are held at Fogel's house however he is taking a break for a month or so after this friday. Ben (buenob) will be hosting the bi-weeklies in Fogel's absence, so pm him for the address. Itll be great if you came down hope to play you soon.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
Pho, you mean, like...South Keys area? IIRC, that's...15 minutes bussing, maybe less, from me.
I am near you. I'm East of you, and should only be a 15 minute bus. How cool! I just bused to Matt's house, and played quite a bit of smash with him. His Mario is pretty good.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
@Cam/Alan- My MK/Bryant comment was directed more at Alan saying that bBrawl changed nothing because an MK main still came out on top. In retrospect, I realize that he was probably joking. I could tell that you were joking, but I was in a rush as I typed that comment out so I didn't really process that Alan was too. Sorry about that you guys!

@Holynightmare- Cool a smash celebrity! Why are you coming to Ottawa?

@Ben- Can you PM me your ring up number again?

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
DSmash does NOT reliably kill. I was living to like 160+ against Bryant when we tried it.

I am all in favour of ditching bBrawl and keeping doubles intact. Just my vote.

Matt07

Smash Master
I'm just wondering is Dedede's standing Infinite allowed here? If it is I'm screwed LOL.

But ya, I'm super hyped for this, can't wait for this tomorrow :D.

buenob

Smash Lord
well, yeah it is... but it's not a bi-weekly, just a friendly get-together (or smashfest) tomorrow :)

to recap - no infinites are banned here... mind you, only one person uses D3, and even then he'd rather play luigi :)

Fogel

Smash Lord
well, yeah it is... but it's not a bi-weekly, just a friendly get-together (or smashfest) tomorrow :)

to recap - no infinites are banned here... mind you, only one person uses D3, and even then he'd rather play luigi :)
Randy and Dave have good DDDs as well.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
What? We seriously don't have standing infinites banned? Why not? I'm pretty sure you know about it, but D3's standing infinite basically makes 6 characters completely unviable. It's not just an unwinable matchup every time D3 comes up, but if it's legal, all any opponent has to do is switch to D3 on their CP for a free win, and just calling double blind really messes things up.

This is not D3's chain grab, this is 100-0 matchup causing pain for (Off the top of my head) Samus, mario, DK, Luigi and Bowser.

infomon

Smash Scientist
But let's be careful:
- If ppl haven't practiced the D3 CG (no matter how easy it is), then it's quite possible that they would rather fight you with their main than with their untested D3 in a matchup they've never played.
- A really bad D3 won't necessarily be landing the grabs... against Samus, anyway, afaik :psycho:
- Some stages, such as Brinstar, can prevent the CG from making it 100:0
- Characters are chosen double-blind for the first match. This means either you have to guess that your opponent is going to use one of those 6 chars and use your secondary (D3) who has some really tough matchups (ex. ICs)... OR you use your main, and the DK/Mario/whatever is viable for that match.
- They're a terrible character to use on the opponent's counterpick stage, if that stage allows them to easily wind up in a 0-death position and they know your D3 is capable of pulling it off (which, sure, isn't very hard).
- On their own counterpick stage, you either pick a stage which allows you to avoid the CG-of-death, or you pick D3 and hope they pick their unwinnable-matchup'd main (lol) rather than a character who wrecks D3 pretty hard, or you don't pick D3 and again it's a reasonable fight.

But most importantly: how exactly are you going to limit D3's standing infinite? What consequences might this have on matchups which aren't those 6 "unwinnable" ones? Furthermore, we get into a slippery slope about banning other things, like regular CGs and/or grab-release shinnannigans........

Edit: where is the biweekly? liek how do I get there from highway?
I might show up, but it'll be liek post-11:00, and depends how sleepy I am.

as of right now,
infzy's sleep-o-meter: very sleepy

:054:

Fogel

Smash Lord
A lot of people seemed to have not read my post earlier:

This week is a smashfest, not a biweekly. If you come expecting a tournament, you will be disappointed.

Thank you.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol cam lays it down with the large-red text :) srsly people, read!

see you all today at 5... (argh, my hangover is kicking in :()

Matt07

Smash Master
What time can I arrive at (the earliest?)

Infzy if you come we should have like a little Mario vs Sonic battle going on lol.

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol oops I meant to say smashfest, not biweekly :bee:

again, is this at Cam's, or buenob's?? I'm assuming Cam since he's posting stuff about it :)

Matt07: I'm soooo down, lol. but I'll be there very late if at all :( six-hour-drive johns

buenob

Smash Lord
this is at cams place... next friday is a bi-weekly chez moi...

on a side note, i will be doing no money matches tonight, but I would love some bo3+stage striking+cp-ing for fun :)

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll be there ASAP with a friend called Karl. Can't wait to play buenob again!

Also, I'll bring a bag for my personal drug that I don't want to spoil any name, but it has "m*lee" in it.

EDIT: censored it.

EDIT2: I'll bring 2 friends in the end. =)

Matt07

Smash Master
Yooo yesterday was hella fun, had fun meeting you all, can't wait till next week!

Edit: If anyone can recommend me a store to buy the recorder Cam has (or another one), I'm very tempted to pick it up and bring it to Ben's this Friday. And Magic the Gathering deck as well...maybe xD I will see.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I'm sad that no one brought back my silver controller from last week :( If you have my silver controller, please PM me! I would really like it back. It's very distinctive; not only does it have tape with my name on it, but there's a discoloration on one of the handles. I ask people who are going to biweeklies at Ben's to please keep an eye out for anyone that may be using it.

Moses, you still owe me HitH Gas Money and my spare Black controller. I'd like them back, please PM me so we can work things out.

If anyone else meets up with Moses in the next month, please tell him the above. Thanks!

As for my taking time off, I probably won't be reading the threads much over the next month or so, so please PM me if you want to get in touch (since it will notify me by email anyways). I'll post once I decide to return. See everyone later!

Top Bottom