• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I think I will make it to this one, just cause I can.

EDIT

Due to the recent Official Release of Balanced Brawl, I propose we set aside blind opinions on it, and hold a bBrawl tourney instead of doubles.

If you click on my sig, you will be informed that there is a way to load this without homebrew.

Regardless, I am still able to install Homebrew Channel on any Wii that would like it.

Alongside bBrawl comes infinite replays and unrestricted camera.
The former is very useful for Grand Finals.

Cam, we can use somebody else's Wii instead, if Stack Smash makes you just as queasy.

It is important to me, as well as its large fanbase, that the bBrawl metagame evolves. It desperately needs solid, professional matchup data.

Nobody expects it to be 50:50 matchups across the board, and there will most likely be a few scattered 70:30s somewhere, but this is why tournaments are required.

The characters do not play as foreignly as Brawl+. bBrawl stays true to the roots of their playstyles.

stefanie

Smash Rookie
While the reasons for you guys not wanting to commit to bBrawl are valid, I think the intent is great, and from what I see it looks like a possible improvement over vBrawl. I really think you should go with alan's suggestion this friday.

PND

Smash Champion
What about bBrawl *next* Friday? 'Cuz then I'll be in Ottawa. *Gasp*

That's right, I've been talking about it since before Havoc, but I'll actually be in Ottawa next week and would like to see ya guys.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, whatever it winds up being works for me. Just as long as it's sorted out or something beforehand. Oh, and Mike, you've got the green light on things on my end for when you come down next week.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I'm willing to try out bBrawl this biweekly. The download link seems swamped though; I can't get it to try it out :/ Do you know if anyone else is hosting it somewhere?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
You only need one SD Card per tournament. I just have to download Stack Smash first, then pop it in, use the exploit, and it's loaded until the Wii resets/turns off.

EDIT: Downloading the BalancedBrawl.zip (or whichever sounds closest, but is .zip, and not Gecko), and unzipping directly to an SD Card will have it all set up for you immediately.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
I'm moving to Ottawa early Monday morning. I'm so excited to be apart of a new scene!

Edit: @SoLn: I'm moving from Guelph and going to Carleton for math.
@Linkshot: Sorry, kinda got excited after packing a little bit tonight.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
Where are you moving from out of curiosity? And welcome to the Ottawa smash community!

Fogel

Smash Lord
You only need one SD Card per tournament. I just have to download Stack Smash first, then pop it in, use the exploit, and it's loaded until the Wii resets/turns off.

EDIT: Downloading the BalancedBrawl.zip (or whichever sounds closest, but is .zip, and not Gecko), and unzipping directly to an SD Card will have it all set up for you immediately.
OK, cool. One thing though, according to the link in your sig, you have to delete all of your custom stages to load bBrawl. Is that true? If so, I'd like to keep some of my custom stages, so I want to back them up first. I do have my own SD card which I could use for this.

I'm moving to Ottawa early Monday morning. I'm so excited to be apart of a new scene!

Edit: @SoLn: I'm moving from Guelph and going to Carleton for school.
@Linkshot: Sorry, kinda got excited after packing a little bit tonight.
Welcome!

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I believe there's a file somewhere that actually disables your custom stages to make Stack Smash work (Stack Smash acts as a stage to exploit loading Gecko, I believe). You might have to search around.

Alternatively, you can port them to your SD Card instead. I will search myself, for your convenience, and edit this post if I find it.

Here's the code to disable custom stages:

Code:
046B841C 48000040
I haven't found a file yet, but at least I have the code.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I believe there's a file somewhere that actually disables your custom stages to make Stack Smash work (Stack Smash acts as a stage to exploit loading Gecko, I believe). You might have to search around.

Alternatively, you can port them to your SD Card instead. I will search myself, for your convenience, and edit this post if I find it.

Here's the code to disable custom stages:

Code:
046B841C 48000040
I haven't found a file yet, but at least I have the code.
Thank you, but I don't know what to do with this code :/ I'll back up my stages anyways just in case.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Alright then, sign me up! I look forward to this biweekly. :D

I vote for balcanced brawl, because I'd really like to try it out. Plus I know thinkaman from the boards.
and my doubles partner is away...

Also, Welcome to Ottawa, Pho. :D Wait, you're taking Math at Carleton? I'm taking Math (and Physics) at Carleton! What year will you be in? (the right answer is second year)

buenob

Smash Lord
lol you guys are in math? i did two years of math too lol... math ftw!

im gonna try to get friday off work to come to this, but it seems doubtful

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
^^Amazing Ampharos? Of course he plays. He tried to make every pokemon 'viable' in his mod server, which kinda fails imo.

When

gets owned by

there is something wrong with the metagame.

Anyways, while I am against phallusbrawl, I dislike doubles enough to vote for the phallus.

PND

Smash Champion
<3 Thinkaman. I suppose if we say your name enough times in one topic it'll summon you, sort of like Beetlejuice or Bloody Mary.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Actually, that mod server didn't attempt to balance ubers and just considered them a non-part of the metagame. So no, Mewtwo was not owned by Dunsparce.

Also, hi Ottawa.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Matt07, are you coming to this biweekly? If so, do you know how to get to my place? I don't remember if I PMed you/you PMed me already or not.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Yes. Give me a minute. Will edit this post.

GLOBAL CHANGES

Movement does not cause tripping.
Forced contact with wall is always techable. (no infinites!)
Chaingrabs removed (walkoffs are safer!)
Tripping forces tripped players to stand up.
Aerial Footstooling causes victim to land upright.
Characters "flop" faster (disables jab locks)
Ground releases 25% faster
Air releases 40% faster
Triple Jump glitch has been removed.

STARTERS (7)
These 7 are available during Stage Striking and Counterpicking. You may ban 1 of these per set upon your first won match.

Battlefield <unchanged>
Smashville <unchanged>
Yoshi's Island <unchanged>
Online Practice Stage <select Hanenbow, Sandbag is there>
Final Destination <unchanged>
Pokemon Stadium (Melee) <unchanged>
Castle Siege <unchanged>

COUNTERPICKS (13)
These 13 are available during Counterpicking only. You may ban 2 of these per set upon your first won match.

Lylat Cruise <unchanged>
Delfino Plaza <unchanged>
Halberd <starts up during intros>
Pictochat <runs at 2/3 speed>
Frigate Orpheon <unchanged>
Jungle Japes (Melee) <unchanged>
Rainbow Cruise (Melee) <unchanged>
Brinstar (Melee) <unchanged>
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 (HOLD X OR Y WHEN SELECTING) <higher top blastzone, runs at 1/2 speed>
Yoshi's Island (Melee) <unchanged>
Norfair <unchanged>
Corneria (Melee) <further top, left, and right blastzones>
Mario Circuit <unchanged>

SOFTBANNED (13)
These stages may be Counterpicked. You may ban none/any/all of these for free BEFORE STARTING THE FIRST MATCH ONLY.

Luigi's Mansion <runs at 1/2 speed>
Distant Planet <unchanged>
Rumble Falls <unchanged>
Onett (Melee) <unchanged>
Green Greens (Melee) <runs at 2/3 speed>
Port Town: Aero Dive <unchanged>
Pokemon Stadium 2 <unchanged>
Green Hill Zone <unchanged>
Big Blue (Melee) <runs at 2/3 speed>
Pirate Ship <unchanged>
Skyworld <unchanged>
Spear Pillar: Dialga (HOLD X OR Y WHEN SELECTING) <"cave of life" is enveloped in the heightened blast zone>
Spear Pillar: Cresselia (HOLD X OR Y AND L OR R WHEN SELECTING) <"cave of life" is enveloped in the heighted blast zone>

HARDBANNED (12)
These stages may only be selected if agreed upon by both players. MATCHES ON THESE STAGES MUST HAVE A 5-MINUTE TIME LIMIT

Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 <runs at 1/2 speed>
Mario Bros. <unchanged>
Temple (Melee) <severely heightened lower blast zone, lowered top blast zone>
Spear Pillar: Palkia (HOLD L OR R WHEN SELECTING) <"cave of life" is enveloped in the heightened blast zone>
Flat Zone 2 <unchanged>
Bridge of Eldin <unchanged>
Shadow Moses Island <unchanged>
Summit <unchanged>
New Pork City <unchanged>
WarioWare Inc. <unchanged>
75m <unchanged>
Hanenbow <unselectable>

GENERIC RULES

* Stage Striking occurs in 1-2-1-2-1-2 fashion.
** In a dispute, decide via coin flip, die roll, or RPS.
*** Port disputes are to be decided similarly.
* 7-minute Stock Timer
* Custom Stages are strictly banned; no agreements tolerated.
* 3 stocks
* Textures discouraged (but allowed)
* Matches are encouraged to be monitored for changes that seem extreme.
* Items are lulzy and must be agreed upon to use.
** However, Smash Balls, Assist Trophies, and Timers are strictly banned due to being buggy. Anybody caught using Blue Falcon, Galaxia Darkness, or any other game-breaking (literally) Final Smash will lose the set automatically.
* Unsportsmanlike conduct will swiftly get you disqualified. Have manners.
* In the event of a Stack Smash'd Wii turning off, a TO is to be immediately notified.
* Standard Double Elimination Brackets
** Bo3 sets, except for all finals, which are Bo5. Grand Finals go to Set 2 if Grand Loser wins Set 1.
* Any further questions/issues are to be fielded to a TO.

'kay? I suggest reading up on your characters' changes and studying them ^^
Happy Brawling! (Character Changes are in the second post in mah siggy)

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, I think most people know anyway, but just letting it be known that in a disappointing (but sadly unsurprising) happening, the Ministry of Transpo's taking their sweet time getting back to me about my driver's license so it looks like I won't have it back to get over there tomorrow. However, if something's going down next week when Mike's in the area, then you can bet I'll make it to that. Better late than never on my part, I s'pose. :ohwell:

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is Ottawa still playing, you know, the old fashioned Brawl? Any weekly or tourney soon? ..I don't feel like going through this thread to know =|.

We're 4 players in Gatineau, including me, who would like to get more into it's competition. And we'd like to participate to some of the events, or play any decent player from Ottawa.

I know it was hella fun playing Buenob and Arsenic I don't exactly remember when it happened though XD.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
bBrawl is only replacing Doubles this biweekly, to test it in a competitive environment.

Oh, right.

$2 ENTRY FEE. 60/30/10 PAYOUTS

bBrawl will only continue to show up [in Ottawa] competitively if it is deemed to be wanted after this.

infomon

Smash Scientist
gloves off, it's trollin' time!

lol wot's this, linkshot takes over ottawa
like we were all just chillin' in smashville and then suddenly the "SPEED UP!" sign from Rumble Falls shows up and we all die

Movement does not cause tripping.
Forced contact with wall is always techable. (no infinites!)
Does this actually prevent infinites? like is it possible for D3 to have a grab hitbox out while you're still doing the wall-tech? that would be :psycho:

Tripping forces tripped players to stand up.
Doesn't this allow for more infinites? :bee:

Aerial Footstooling causes victim to land upright.
(...)
Ground releases 25% faster
Air releases 40% faster
Why?
like is this what limits the ice climbers, or is there another reason to make footstools/grabs less useful?

Sonic's pummels+grabs are one of his best ways to wrack damage :(
even if his spring spikes nao lolol

Hanenbow <unselectable>
:(

* Custom Stages are strictly banned; no agreements tolerated.
(...)
* Items are lulzy and must be agreed upon to use.
wot

Fogel

Smash Lord
Well, I think most people know anyway, but just letting it be known that in a disappointing (but sadly unsurprising) happening, the Ministry of Transpo's taking their sweet time getting back to me about my driver's license so it looks like I won't have it back to get over there tomorrow. However, if something's going down next week when Mike's in the area, then you can bet I'll make it to that. Better late than never on my part, I s'pose. :ohwell:
Sorry to hear it :( Gov't bureaucracy FTL.

Is Ottawa still playing, you know, the old fashioned Brawl? Any weekly or tourney soon? ..I don't feel like going through this thread to know =|.

We're 4 players in Gatineau, including me, who would like to get more into it's competition. And we'd like to participate to some of the events, or play any decent player from Ottawa.

I know it was hella fun playing Buenob and Arsenic I don't exactly remember when it happened though XD.
Il y a un Biweekly demain chez moi.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
lol wot's this, linkshot takes over ottawa
like we were all just chillin' in smashville and then suddenly the "SPEED UP!" sign from Rumble Falls shows up and we all die

Does this actually prevent infinites? like is it possible for D3 to have a grab hitbox out while you're still doing the wall-tech? that would be :psycho:

Doesn't this allow for more infinites? :bee:

Why?
like is this what limits the ice climbers, or is there another reason to make footstools/grabs less useful?

Sonic's pummels+grabs are one of his best ways to wrack damage :(
even if his spring spikes nao lolol

:(

wot
If a tripping attack hits you while you're already tripped, instead of tripping again, you stand up without lag.

Flopping faster prevent jab locks.
You can walltechjump, which give invincibility.
And I need to clarify. The VICTIM regains control that much faster after being released. (to prevent abuse on Ness, Lucas, Wario.)
You can footstool a grounded character to lag them.

These were all changed to remove infinites.

Furthermore, D3's dThrow sends everybody into a techchase.

Top Bottom