• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Sigh, I feared as much. Well how about this, if you want to give it one more shot at returning the Jiggs boards to order and getting some good and new discussion going on I'm with you 100%. I'd be willing to give it one last go before giving up on the boards. If you'd rather not, I totally see where you're coming from. As for staying at your place, we have plans to get a hotel, but it's not going all to well. We have to rent for 2 nights, etc. We're busing out to Hamelton, that much is set is stone, but we could stay if you live particularly close to hamelton/the tourney, but we'd also need a ride there and back. Thanks a lot for the offer, though. Would I be able to take you up on it some other time?

The problem with leaving the Jiggs boards for me is that I really only have one main. Jiggs feels natural to me, and without the Jiggs boards, I won't have any reason to go on the boards at all. Actually, to tell the truth I might be leaving the whole smash community soon, and the loss of my character's board wouldn't help.

This whole thing with banning MK is totally ludicrous and he ends up getting banned, I will have lost faith in the SBR as a whole, and would most likely leave because of that. One thing that Jiggs has going for her is how she can hold her own against MK, and without that I cannot seriously continue to main her and still say I plan on winning anything at all. Besides MK not being around for her to do well against, there will be many more Snakes, who she doesn't do well against. Even if I did use another character, I would still feel that the SBR has made an unrecognisable mistake, and don't know if I'd want to keep playing.

Even if he doesn't get banned, I might still leave. Recently I've been questioning my own ability to play. Lately, I feel that I haven't been playing my best. As many of you know, I have problems with muscles in my neck being all messed up and it leads to almost constant vertigo and overall crappiness of varying intensity. This could be causing my lack of play ability, as I sort of feel held back while I play. I might have just lost interest in playing, or I'm no longer good at this game.

I really don't know, but I feel that Havoc in the Hammer will be the deciding vote for me. If I can play generally well, or even just see how to improve, I probably won't leave. If I don't feel well enough to play due to my condition, then my condition is currently too bad for me to even think of playing Smash competitively. If I'm at a tourney I planned to go to for a month, and I feel great that day and I'm in the winners bracket, and then someone bumps into me particularly hard, then it's over. My condition is bad enough that without maybe 30-60 minutes with an icepack in a quiet room I won't even play a fraction as well as before. My stamina really takes a dive because of it too, so simply the length of a tourney can screw me over. I'd be willing to give the tourney thing another go after I recover, though.

Anyways, sorry about this wall of text and my johns and complaints, I just felt that I should get that out there. If anyone found this post too long... Well, you won't be reading this, lol.

I'd like to say though, it's probably unlikely for me to leave, as I doubt MK will be banned, and I will be training pretty hard for Havoc. If I did leave the community, the worst part about it would be not seeing a lot of you guys again. At first I came for the Smash, but I really feel that I've made some great friends at Cam's place. I always have a blast with you guys, and I'd truly miss you all if I left.
SBR is less than cool but w/e. They can merely suggest things to TOs. No one has to actually follow the suggestions and I doubt anyone in Ottawa will.

I recommend taking a break for maybe a week or two. When get back, you'll feel much better, trust me.

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
Cam - One of my buddies would like to come tonight. he will not be entering the biweekly, just playing some friendlies and whatnot. Is this ok?

PND

Smash Champion
Tyler: Will your brother be around the week AFTER Havoc? I still need to give him ticket $. If he is, I may delay my trip down until that weekend, if that's cool with everyone. Basically, the weekend I picked I wouldn't get to see any of my crew :(

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Let's see....Havoc's the 15th, right? I think he'll still be here then, but I know he'll be heading back to Kingston late August/really early September since obviously he'll have school and all that.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Tyler: Will your brother be around the week AFTER Havoc? I still need to give him ticket $. If he is, I may delay my trip down until that weekend, if that's cool with everyone. Basically, the weekend I picked I wouldn't get to see any of my crew :(
No problem with me.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Results results? Hmm... I am expecting the top three to look like this:

1: Zylem
2: CvO
3: stefanie

=)
From memory:

Singles was just a Round Robin pool since there were only 6 people.

1. Moses
2. Orlando
3. Linkshot
4. Fogel
5. HiDef
6. Knuckles

Doubles:

1. ? (Knuckles + HiDef)
2. SAUSenic (Sandbagging SAUS+Arsenic/SAUS+LaN for grand finals since Randy had to leave early)
3. ? (Moses + Afro Boy)
4. Elephants... (Mel + Jiggernaut)
5. 5th worst in Ottawa (Fogel+Linkshot)

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
The top three is a bit surprising. I didn't expect Orlando to enter and I also expected to see Bryant up there. Good job Moses!

buenob

Smash Lord
something like this used to happen a the Go club every year, but I don't think it has in a while since membership is down...

basically everyone plays everyone else twice, with a strong recommendation that you try to play everyone once, and then everyone else once again... the event spans multiple weeks until everyone is done, and it's basically like recording friendlies, and it's a great way to see yourself improve, and as a comparison to the community as a whole... (enough ", and"s in there for you?)

I could easily set this up, either on paper or online (or someone else can write it as a program) if people want to, but i think a 16 person round-robin would take way too long

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I am not in favor of a 16-man round robin. Swiss is pretty close to that anyways isn't it? But yeah, 16-man RR would take forever. I'd rather a random crew match(Yes, I'd pay money for that)

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of a 16 man round robin. Unfortunately we dont have the resources to pull it off.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I like the idea of a 16 man round robin. Unfortunately we dont have the resources to pull it off.
It's really just time. 16 people x 15 matches per person takes a lot of time!

I decided to do a round robin last Friday mainly because there weren't enough people for it to be worth doing a double elim or swiss bracket.

stefanie

Smash Rookie
he beat me as falcon in a bi-weekly once and then dropped me by 6 places so I convinced him he couldn't do the job. :p

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Since the PR hadn't been updated in a long time, it was pretty out of date. I always thought that the PR would be based off of biweekly results, each spot gaining a certain amount of points in a biweekly and points are added up and people's spots are assigned based on how many points they have accumulated(...like in mario kart).

The main problem with this, however, is what about if someone takes a long break(Ben) and has very little points accumulated? Their spot would be deceptively low. As well, with a varying number of people in all the biweeklies, the numbers may end up skewed if there is, say, 8 people one week and 12 people the next. On the other hand, depending on how many points are distributed, the results may also be skewed. If 1st is 10 points and 2nd is 8, and 3rd is 7 or something, you can get some pretty messed up results even though matches may be extremely close.

I think this could work, but only if refreshed every 4 biweeklies or something(...like mario kart). Or we could just have a more experienced player make a PR based on their observation again. Don't mistake this as any sort of mockery btw, Randy. I liked your PR and thought that it was cool that someone was doing one. However, the mario kart ranking would be a nice motivater since you have a direct influence over your placement instead of being judged by someone who could be influenced by bias. And since it's refreshed every 4 weeks(for example) you can always feel good even if you had a bad run. Maybe you came dead last. Well, when things get refreshed you have a new chance to show your moves! Maybe you'll come 3rd next time. Who knows?

What does everyone else think?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hm, I got to thinking and wasn't sure if this would work out at all but well would it be possible to maybe do it so that people are ranked based more on how they place in bi-weeklies as opposed to losing points for not showing up with a minimum requirement and people who take hiatus being in a separate section? For instance, if somebody shows up for 5 straight bi-weeklies, but misses the 6th, and someone else makes all 6, then the person who makes all six doesn't get a higher rating just for making all 6, y'know? Like, it'd be person A (who will be the guy who made 5, for the sake of avoiding confusion, while the guy who made 6 will be 'B') getting ranked off how he performed in the 5 bi-weeklies he made, while person B gets ranked based off of the 6 bi-weeklies that they were in? Would that be uh....hard to keep track of, confusing, plausible, completely crappy? Like, by all means if it's a horrific idea, let me know.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I think...
150CC GOLD STAR CUP SHALL BE MINE
It will work like this.

8-man (to 11) (minimum for point distribution)
1st: +9
2nd: +6 (+7 if GF1 was 3-2, +8 if GF2 was 3-2)
3rd: +3 (+4 if the set was 3-2)
4th: +1 (+2 if the set was 2-1)

12-man (to 15)
1st: +12
2nd: +9 (+10 if GF1 was 3-2, +11 if GF2 was 3-2) (seeing the pattern?)
3rd: +6 (same rules)
4th: +3 (same rules)
5th: +1 each (same rules as 8-man 4th)

16-man (and on)
1st: +15
2nd: +12 (same rules)
3rd: +9 (same rules)
4th: +6 (same rules)
5th: +3 each (same rules)
7th: +1 each (same rules)

---------

Thoughts on my blatant Mario Kart point distribution rip off?
I support the reset after 4 biweeklies. Past "Ottawa PR Grand Prix" stats will stay posted.

****, Ottawa is so much fun.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Most of you probably already figured it out, but no Biweekly or smashfest this Friday because I'll be going to HitH. Instead, people can come over Thursday (until 10:30pm) for friendlies/lulz.

@Randy/Derek/Moses: I have to work Friday morning, so we'll leave at 3:00pm Friday afternoon. BE THERE BEFORE 3. If you aren't there by 3, and I haven't heard from you saying why, I'm going to assume you dropped out. Be at my house by 2:30 so we can pack everything up, etc.

@New PR: I have to go to Ultimate really soon, so I'll reply to that stuff later.

Also, a bit of a warning to everyone, I am planning to take a break from Smash for about a month shortly after HitH; haven't decided exactly when, but soon. This means I won't be hosting any biweeklies or smashfests for that time. I'm saying this now so people aren't surprised later on.

PND

Smash Champion
I support both of the styles, but I think need to be joined together.

Like, all in all I think it should be a small panel that decides it, BUT the GP point system should be put in place. Every month we can look at the GP rankings and the PR, and make amendments from there. The GP system helps clearly illustrate who is eligible for moving up or down based purely on results, and it will help hammer out discrepancies. The panel can help distinguish who is rising up, but perhaps getting bracket ***** or can't make it out enough to get ranked with the GP system.

As for the panel, I nominate Ben, being Ottawa's top player. Beyond that, and no offense if I don't mention you, I think Randy, Cam, Ariel, and Bryant would be most eligible to fill any remaining spots.

Ben, as I mentioned, is Ottawa's top player.
Randy held the last PR up really well. Plus he's a great player, mindgamez are everywhere.
Cam has all that Melee experience under his belt, and his Snake is getting pretty beast. He's the main TO of Ottawa, I think he's deserving for a spot.
Ariel and Bryant are both good players and offer good insight as to the players they play most frequently. Bryant could offer pretty in depth info about how our crew plays beyond mere placings.

That is how I would organize it, anyway. And maybe when I come back to Ottawa and storm the results *I* can get myself a seat in the League of Smash. :laugh:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I swear, if anybody makes any "Elite 4" jokes, so help me.... :laugh:

Cam, sorry to hear you'll be taking a smash break after Havoc (mainly since that'd be around when I get back, lol), but I can entirely understand. Would you be going to any other 'gaming fests' so to speak or whatnot?

And Mike, I do think you've got a good idea. It's so crazy it could actually work.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I think the suggestions so far for tracking points have been pretty good. As for how long to keep results, I've got a suggestion instead of just dropping all results after, using Alan's example, 4 weeks. Instead, you could keep a "sliding window" of 4 weeks, where the past 4 weeks of data is kept. Basically, after every week, the current results would be added, and the oldest week's results would be dropped.

Another possibility would be to add some kind of point decay, where either a fixed % or a fixed number of everyone's points would be removed every week. This would have an impact on people who only show up infrequently and don't do well, however.

If an exact system is going to be used, a PR panel probably isn't necessary. However, if there's going to be a PR plus point system, then it would be a big help to whoever the panelists are (I shouldn't be one if this is going to be set up anytime soon :p).

Cam, sorry to hear you'll be taking a smash break after Havoc (mainly since that'd be around when I get back, lol), but I can entirely understand. Would you be going to any other 'gaming fests' so to speak or whatnot?
I might go if other people host non-smash stuff (BlazBlue, SF4) or even gatherings like Rock Climbing. I'm not sick of Smash or anything, I just want to see how things go if I focus on other hobbies for a while.

Top Bottom