• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
bryant won't be me when I return :p

infact, i won't even be going ROB when I return :) (unless I loose as my super-secret alt)
--
edit: man that faux cockiness just comes across as douchebaggery when typed... anyways, I am 100% against the MK ban :)
LOL!

You're going down bigman!!! I won't even go as Luigi, but instead use my ULTRA SUPER SECRET SECONDARY!

Unless I lose as this character.

Either way, victory is assured as being mine!

Fogel

Smash Lord
How many people are signed up this week? What's going to happen if we don't get enough devotees?
Not many, but I'm sure enough people will come who aren't bothering to sign up that turnout should be ok. In the event it's really low, we can do a round robin (that would be an extreme case; like 6 people or less, but I don't think it will get to that).

Matt07

Smash Master
So what's up guys xD.

I'll be living in Ottawa exactly a month from now to attend College in the fall. I can't wait to play you guys, and get some offline experience :).

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay fresh blood \o/

Mario main? Sweeeet.

EDIT: Casual posts (IE: not pertaining to the bi-weeklies or other tourneys) are to go in the Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix thread.

buenob

Smash Lord
for some reason your name really rings a bell to me... were you active in the stage legality discussions?..

ps. my secret main is samus!

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
Did he not show up to a random get together at Ben's place once? Or was that somebody else?

Matt07

Smash Master
No, that wasn't me in the Stage thread. I posted in Ottawa Social thread before, I haven't been to Ben's before, that was another Matt :p.

Glad to 'meet' you all :). I'll continue this discussion in the Ottawa Social thread =P.

Afro Boy2000

Smash Journeyman
If theres a tournament to sign up for this week, sign me up please.
Hey Matt07, nice to see a new Mario main.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
All the Yomi people play SF and apparently all SF people think Smash is a bad game and its players are dumb. >_>

But according to SF3 logic since MK doesn't have Akuma's 9-1 mu's he shouldn't be banned, which I agree with.

I'll be there tomorrow, but I won't be entering the bi-weekly. If enough people don't show we can have a Yomi tournament :p

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Jazriel, about 65% of what you said for some reason barely made any sense to me, lol. Anyway, nice to see a new guy, Matt. Hope you stick around.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
SSF2T noob! j/k.
Im thinking of making a Cameo appearance. My wallet seems kinda light.

Ok enough douchebaggery. Will try to make it out tomorrow.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hey, the latest Street Fighter game I've played is Alpha 3, c'mon now. And cool to hear you'll head out again, even though I well, obviously won't be there and stuff.

PND

Smash Champion
To clarify, I will be in Ottawa August 7th.

Is that a biweekly? or smashfest? If it is a smashfest, any chance of turning it into a pre-Havoc in the Hammer offweekly?

Also, on Saturday is the UFC. If anyone interested I'm probably going to Pub 101 to catch it.

Also: Could I crash anywhere? This is sudden planning, I basically decided that I'm coming up today. (To be fair, a week's notice is pretty good for me, this is like, planned)

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Coming up on the 7th? Awesome. I'd offer up my place, but it's not IN Ottawa and you're probably looking for that. But if you're showing up next Friday, then chances are I'll be able to get a lift in then too.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Hey guys, what's up? I'll be entering the tourney this week, along with Mel, but only for the doubles portion. We're meeting up with some friends later in the evening, but still wanted to get some smash in before Havoc in the Hammer, which we will both be attending. We will be out of town already on the 7th, so this will be our last chance for some tourney time.

Just checking, but there will be doubles this week, right? Because double's practice is what we seek.

Sorry Mike, but it looks like I'll miss you on the 7th... I'll already have left for TO for my vacation. However, part of this vacation is going to Havoc in the Hammer, so as long as you are heading out there, I'll see you there. :D

Can I talk to you about what's going on with the Jiggs boards? I haven't really been on due to personal matters (mostly just being ill), so I'm not sure what's going on with them. I know you're basically in charge now, and I know how hard it can be to run a whole character board. If you'd like I could lend a hand in the administrative part, as I should be able to give input more frequently now. Really, what I'm asking is if you'd like me to help you run the board. I'd really like to help the boards live on, and try to get them thriving again.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I offer my condolences.

PND

Smash Champion
Basically the Jiggs board is dead, and is a troll fest. I'm thinking of tossing my hat in the ring to become a mod, I think I have enough quality posts there to at least be considered. But yeah, I'm basically the leader now. >_>

And I'll totally see you at Havoc. Need to crash at my place?

buenob

Smash Lord
so the weekend on the 7th, i'd like to play brawl with you guys but I work until 11:15... is there any way people could re-locate to my place for a 11:30-2:30ish brawl continuation? I fail at getting my boss not to schedule me fridays... I'm signing up for courses this week, so come september I'll be around, but as of now the _only_ friday i can make it out to cams is the 21st(ish) the one _after_ havoc in the hammer...

if things don't work out for this friday, maybe sometime during the week then?
(if it's possible for me to make it to cams and it be worth my time to get out there then I'd gladly do that instead of other relocating)

also, im' going to an epic cottage party sat morning, so i won't be around all weekend :(

ALSO! if people are ever planning on coming to my place, from cams, would they mind picking up my power cord from there? Andrea (other cat) chewed through this one and I am out of solder... so i'm wii-less at the moment (oh if people come we'll need another wii+brawl)

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh, that actually reminds me for some reason now that you mention it. I got my timetable for my Fall semester today and it just so happens I don't have any classes on Fridays so I should be able to still make it out to some during the school year.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Basically the Jiggs board is dead, and is a troll fest. I'm thinking of tossing my hat in the ring to become a mod, I think I have enough quality posts there to at least be considered. But yeah, I'm basically the leader now. >_>

And I'll totally see you at Havoc. Need to crash at my place?

Sigh, I feared as much. Well how about this, if you want to give it one more shot at returning the Jiggs boards to order and getting some good and new discussion going on I'm with you 100%. I'd be willing to give it one last go before giving up on the boards. If you'd rather not, I totally see where you're coming from. As for staying at your place, we have plans to get a hotel, but it's not going all to well. We have to rent for 2 nights, etc. We're busing out to Hamelton, that much is set is stone, but we could stay if you live particularly close to hamelton/the tourney, but we'd also need a ride there and back. Thanks a lot for the offer, though. Would I be able to take you up on it some other time?

The problem with leaving the Jiggs boards for me is that I really only have one main. Jiggs feels natural to me, and without the Jiggs boards, I won't have any reason to go on the boards at all. Actually, to tell the truth I might be leaving the whole smash community soon, and the loss of my character's board wouldn't help.

This whole thing with banning MK is totally ludicrous and he ends up getting banned, I will have lost faith in the SBR as a whole, and would most likely leave because of that. One thing that Jiggs has going for her is how she can hold her own against MK, and without that I cannot seriously continue to main her and still say I plan on winning anything at all. Besides MK not being around for her to do well against, there will be many more Snakes, who she doesn't do well against. Even if I did use another character, I would still feel that the SBR has made an unrecognisable mistake, and don't know if I'd want to keep playing.

Even if he doesn't get banned, I might still leave. Recently I've been questioning my own ability to play. Lately, I feel that I haven't been playing my best. As many of you know, I have problems with muscles in my neck being all messed up and it leads to almost constant vertigo and overall crappiness of varying intensity. This could be causing my lack of play ability, as I sort of feel held back while I play. I might have just lost interest in playing, or I'm no longer good at this game.

I really don't know, but I feel that Havoc in the Hammer will be the deciding vote for me. If I can play generally well, or even just see how to improve, I probably won't leave. If I don't feel well enough to play due to my condition, then my condition is currently too bad for me to even think of playing Smash competitively. If I'm at a tourney I planned to go to for a month, and I feel great that day and I'm in the winners bracket, and then someone bumps into me particularly hard, then it's over. My condition is bad enough that without maybe 30-60 minutes with an icepack in a quiet room I won't even play a fraction as well as before. My stamina really takes a dive because of it too, so simply the length of a tourney can screw me over. I'd be willing to give the tourney thing another go after I recover, though.

Anyways, sorry about this wall of text and my johns and complaints, I just felt that I should get that out there. If anyone found this post too long... Well, you won't be reading this, lol.

I'd like to say though, it's probably unlikely for me to leave, as I doubt MK will be banned, and I will be training pretty hard for Havoc. If I did leave the community, the worst part about it would be not seeing a lot of you guys again. At first I came for the Smash, but I really feel that I've made some great friends at Cam's place. I always have a blast with you guys, and I'd truly miss you all if I left.

and now to break up the tense moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZeYVIWz99I

Why was he more funny in this than he was in The Ugly Truth? Also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOoSlJ2tgW8

buenob

Smash Lord
jigg -- at havoc, i think we're going to have a fairly large presence, like +6 of us... I don't think it would be to hard to kind of steal a random table (it is a hall) for us to put all our stuff and to sit at when not playing friendlies//bracket matches... and that would be a great place for you to get out of the way so as not to upset your condition, and it would also help with things not getting stolen...

and again, this community is too lolz :) great fun all the time

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I'm gonna miss you, Jigger, if you leave. I felt we had some amazing synergy in the times we teamed up, particularly the Pit+Jiggs. You're a great icon for low tier mains. I'd say you're very close to a pure "keep it real" for the whole Smash scene.

If there's any accomodations that I, as an individual, can make for you, so be it. I'll be glad to help you get the greatest experience out of your Fridays.

Additionally, I'm sorry if Ness' fAirI ended up downing Mel due to my competitive nature when gaming. As well, sorry if I already apologised for this XD

Well, good luck at the tourney in...14 hours XD Yes, I will be attending :p

Fogel

Smash Lord
To clarify, I will be in Ottawa August 7th.

Is that a biweekly? or smashfest? If it is a smashfest, any chance of turning it into a pre-Havoc in the Hammer offweekly?

Also, on Saturday is the UFC. If anyone interested I'm probably going to Pub 101 to catch it.

Also: Could I crash anywhere? This is sudden planning, I basically decided that I'm coming up today. (To be fair, a week's notice is pretty good for me, this is like, planned)
It was going to be another smashfest, but we could do another Offweekly :)

Also, if you don't get any better offers, you could stay at my place...I definitely owe you.

Hey guys, what's up? I'll be entering the tourney this week, along with Mel, but only for the doubles portion. We're meeting up with some friends later in the evening, but still wanted to get some smash in before Havoc in the Hammer, which we will both be attending. We will be out of town already on the 7th, so this will be our last chance for some tourney time.

Just checking, but there will be doubles this week, right? Because double's practice is what we seek.
I think there will be enough people this week that we can do doubles. Also, we didn't do them last biweekly, so that's more reason to do them today.

so the weekend on the 7th, i'd like to play brawl with you guys but I work until 11:15... is there any way people could re-locate to my place for a 11:30-2:30ish brawl continuation? I fail at getting my boss not to schedule me fridays... I'm signing up for courses this week, so come september I'll be around, but as of now the _only_ friday i can make it out to cams is the 21st(ish) the one _after_ havoc in the hammer...

if things don't work out for this friday, maybe sometime during the week then?
(if it's possible for me to make it to cams and it be worth my time to get out there then I'd gladly do that instead of other relocating)

also, im' going to an epic cottage party sat morning, so i won't be around all weekend :(

ALSO! if people are ever planning on coming to my place, from cams, would they mind picking up my power cord from there? Andrea (other cat) chewed through this one and I am out of solder... so i'm wii-less at the moment (oh if people come we'll need another wii+brawl)
I don't think I'd be down for smashing until 2:30am, but I wouldn't mind getting together sometime during the week. Monday is bad because I have Ultimate, but other weekdays should be ok. Let me know what day(s) are good for you. I can bring your power cord back. Also, don't forget, I still need $30 from you for Pastaboy Saves OiN :)

The problem with leaving the Jiggs boards for me is that I really only have one main. Jiggs feels natural to me, and without the Jiggs boards, I won't have any reason to go on the boards at all. Actually, to tell the truth I might be leaving the whole smash community soon, and the loss of my character's board wouldn't help.

This whole thing with banning MK is totally ludicrous and he ends up getting banned, I will have lost faith in the SBR as a whole, and would most likely leave because of that. One thing that Jiggs has going for her is how she can hold her own against MK, and without that I cannot seriously continue to main her and still say I plan on winning anything at all. Besides MK not being around for her to do well against, there will be many more Snakes, who she doesn't do well against. Even if I did use another character, I would still feel that the SBR has made an unrecognisable mistake, and don't know if I'd want to keep playing.

Even if he doesn't get banned, I might still leave. Recently I've been questioning my own ability to play. Lately, I feel that I haven't been playing my best. As many of you know, I have problems with muscles in my neck being all messed up and it leads to almost constant vertigo and overall crappiness of varying intensity. This could be causing my lack of play ability, as I sort of feel held back while I play. I might have just lost interest in playing, or I'm no longer good at this game.

I really don't know, but I feel that Havoc in the Hammer will be the deciding vote for me. If I can play generally well, or even just see how to improve, I probably won't leave. If I don't feel well enough to play due to my condition, then my condition is currently too bad for me to even think of playing Smash competitively. If I'm at a tourney I planned to go to for a month, and I feel great that day and I'm in the winners bracket, and then someone bumps into me particularly hard, then it's over. My condition is bad enough that without maybe 30-60 minutes with an icepack in a quiet room I won't even play a fraction as well as before. My stamina really takes a dive because of it too, so simply the length of a tourney can screw me over. I'd be willing to give the tourney thing another go after I recover, though.

Anyways, sorry about this wall of text and my johns and complaints, I just felt that I should get that out there. If anyone found this post too long... Well, you won't be reading this, lol.

I'd like to say though, it's probably unlikely for me to leave, as I doubt MK will be banned, and I will be training pretty hard for Havoc. If I did leave the community, the worst part about it would be not seeing a lot of you guys again. At first I came for the Smash, but I really feel that I've made some great friends at Cam's place. I always have a blast with you guys, and I'd truly miss you all if I left.
Sorry to hear you're considering leaving, but it's understandable given your condition. From my own point of view, you're definitely improving; I used to not be too worried about meeting up with you in brackets, but the past two times you've been able to take me out so you've definitely come along!

As for the SBR stuff, I can understand losing faith in them due to the MK ban. I think it's a cop-out to just ban him, personally. However, it doesn't look like the ban side is going to get the 2/3 votes they need, so it will most likely fail.

See you today/at HitH!

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
Hey, the latest Street Fighter game I've played is Alpha 3, c'mon now. And cool to hear you'll head out again, even though I well, obviously won't be there and stuff.
lol my bad. Shoulda clarified I was referring to Jazriel's/Mason's post, as Akuma wasnt broken in sf3, he was broken in sf2.

Wont be able to make it to Havoc as im really trying to finish up my thesis in the next month and taking a weekend off will cause major setbacks.

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
Bosak i am very displeased with the weekend you have chosen. I work 11pm-7am all weekend (the only time in my life i have ever worked such a shift, and it likely wont happen again).

I know its inconvenient due to my location and work schedule but my couch is always open to you (you know, in case cam kicks you out :p)

I am still coming tonight, dave and I are teaming.. see everyone soon.

Top Bottom