• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OMFG pokemon trainer

GuardianSphinx

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit skeptical of pokemon trainer because of the stamina.... I'm not sure i agree with it on paper - maybe it'll be good though in the flesh; Although playing as those 3 pokemon will be really fun just for a mess-around game.

komickid

Smash Apprentice
Wow this was a huge surprise i doubt ill main as him but ill do plenty of playing around

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I cant wait to get my hands on PT...he might actually be one of my mains...but I guess I wont find out until I actually unlock him(theres no way someone like PT, MetaKnight, Snake and Ike are starting characters)...it would be great for his alt. colors/costumes if the Pokemon come out in their shiny forms...Black Charizard FTW!

Ronike

Smash Ace
Hmmm... I dont know about this one... Sure, its great to have a new character, but it seems kinda un-smash like in my opinion.

Oh well, just gonna have to see how it works, maybe it'll work better than I seem to be visioning it. Although one thing makes me happy, if Sakurai is releasing new characters this quickly, it probably means that there are a TON of characters left. Plus, perhaps it means quite a few characters are getting massive overhauls. I mean, I seriously cant see Brawl without Jiggly or Luigi. So perhaps the Veteran fighters are just the characters that have few changes made to them.

Dokuro

Smash Ace
**** YES, YOU ARE THE BEST UPDATE EVER

I expected a pokemon trainer to be in brawl, whether it be May, Ash, Dawn, or the generic one. but the whole pokemon switch thing is really surprising...on another note, I will finally be able to play as squirtle in a smash bros. game, something I thought I would never be able to do.

MDupont

Smash Cadet
LOL So I guess those Squritle and Charizard in SSBB threads can be deleted huh. :p

Everyone wanted Charizard and Squirtle playable and now people have their wish. plus the addition of Ivysaur tops it all off.

However, I wonder about Ivysaur's moveset. He is the only one out of the three who doesn't stand up. I could see a Vine Whip-like move possibly.

Falcolegend

Smash Journeyman
Thank christ they didnt use the shameful pokemon from the later generations.

ORIGINAL POKEMON FTW

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be really fun if you had 1v1 matches with a friend using 2 Pokemon Trainers and it'd act like the real game. Like PT1 calls out his Pokemon, attacks, steps back. PT2 calls out his Pokemon, it attacks, steps back, rinse and repeat untill the match is over.

Falcolegend

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be really fun if you had 1v1 matches with a friend using 2 Pokemon Trainers and it'd act like the real game. Like PT1 calls out his Pokemon, attacks, steps back. PT2 calls out his Pokemon, it attacks, steps back, rinse and repeat untill the match is over.
or maybe a three stock game where u can't use down b, but each new stock u use a new pokemon.

MDupont

Smash Cadet
Now that Pokemon Trainer is a character, anything is possible. This gives me hope that a generic character called an "Animal Crosser" will be playable now.

The Character Roster wont suffer since each Pokemon isn't a selectable character, but Pokemon Trainer is. You just switch out when you battle. It just takes up 1 space.

It's awesome. I think Sakurai will represent DP, but it will be a huge surprise more than likely (or maybe not if everyone is predicting Lucario). Besides, the trainer is the male FRLG Trainer. So in a way, this represents the 3rd Generation of games. I can see his alternate costume being the female trainer each with two colors.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
wonder what the final smash will be... one big one with all three pokemans, or will it vary between each pokeman?

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
LOL I bet falcon punch/Bowser's fire breath/Ike's Eruption "Is super effective!" against Ivysaur.
My prediction:

Tomorrow: NEW ITEM! OLD ROD!
These both made me LOL
Err, Yes, I love this Update - it has incredible potential. Hopefully as more details emerge, this imaginative char does not disappoint. I have my fingers crossed.

Plomid

Smash Ace
looool how the hell is little pokemon trainer going to save himself from the wrath of rumble falls???
get him self a hovering pad( wouldn't be surprising)?

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
It shows them @ Rumble Falls, and he's just standing...

My guess is that he jumps on the platforms, but when it's moving slowly, he just stands in the background waterfall.

Eldin Bridge, anyone?

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I'm not one to say an opinions wrong but...are you stupid? how is it not smash like? first off whats smash like to begin with?
I'm guessing he's expecting like traditional characters like Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, and so on.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Precisely what Rockin said. And no, Im not stupid. Thanks for asking. Its just my opinion, it just doesnt seem very smash-like to me. Now chill.

My prediction for the final smash would have to be some sort of super pokemon. I dunno what, but we should keep in mind the actual character you would be playing as is the PT, not his pokemon, so the final smash would probably be something he does. Now whether or not the "super pokemon" is a powerful controllable character (ala Giga Bowser) or just does some awesome move, I know not.

M.K

Level 55
Ahhh....

You don't know how much I love this character being a total Pokegasmic fan.

They picked the perfect pokemon IMO, capturing the nostalgia of the first game and, IMO, the best of each stage types (Squirtle Stage One, Ivysaur Stage Two, Charizard Stage Three) This is the coolest character update, and MOST UNIQUE one EVER!

What about grabs, Final Smashes, jumping, Shielding, and recovering? We'll see!

**SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!**

Ronike

Smash Ace
Solid Snake I agree with (in that he isnt a huge part of nintendo's history), but Megaman has had at least one game on all the Nintendo consoles. He may be on other consoles as well, but he started as Nintendo's. Hes a big part of the history. But you do bring a good point about that. Im not questioning whether or not he should be in SSBB, only the form he is in is rather strange in my opinion.

Kayn

Smash Cadet
Can you imagine having to learn the timing for short hops with each character(assuming they have different weights) lol if someone does main PT they'll have alot of work cut out for them...

Florida

イーグランツ
If Demiru isn't in Brawl, or any other unique character that gains my interest, you're all looking at the character I'll be trying out first. Squirtle playable alone is what got me interested, but CHARIZARD included?! This is the kind of update that makes me go to JC Penny and get a new pair of pants. Ivysaur is a nice throw in as well.

Overall, I'm just friggen' glad it's from Kanto :)

M.K

Level 55
The problem with Elemental Hyper Beams (Hydro Cannon, Frenzy Plant, and Blast Burn) Final Smashes is, however, that only the final evolutions can perform them. I'm almost positive that Charizard's will be Blast Burn, but for Squirtle and Ivysaur, I think it'll be Hydro Pump and Solarbeam respectively.

AHHHAAHAHA! I love this update

Aesir

Smash Master
Solid Snake I agree with (in that he isnt a huge part of nintendo's history), but Megaman has had at least one game on all the Nintendo consoles. He may be on other consoles as well, but he started as Nintendo's. Hes a big part of the history. But you do bring a good point about that. Im not questioning whether or not he should be in SSBB, only the form he is in is rather strange in my opinion.
That makes no sense though smash has always been about breaking the norm. in every game its defied its own stereotype aside from the first. In melee we had the IC two characters in one, we had Zelda/sheik characters that were inner changable. Saying something isn't smash like especially a nintendo exclusive character is like saying pineapples are not fruits lol.

Star105

Smash Journeyman
The problem with Elemental Hyper Beams (Hydro Cannon, Frenzy Plant, and Blast Burn) Final Smashes is, however, that only the final evolutions can perform them. I'm almost positive that Charizard's will be Blast Burn, but for Squirtle and Ivysaur, I think it'll be Hydro Pump and Solarbeam respectively.

AHHHAAHAHA! I love this update
you've said that.......... repeatedly...........constantly...............

can't blame you because this also caught me off guard

my jaw dropped to the floor when i saw it...........

mmmmmmmmm................... this seems to be an EXTREMELY good month for Dojo updates..............

Pokémon Trainer

Aug. 13 Mon. 2007

Pokémon Trainer
Characters
Pokémon change!

Aug. 13 Mon. 2007

Pokémon change!
Characters
Franklin Badge

Aug. 10 Fri. 2007

Franklin Badge
Items
Pit: Final Smash

Aug. 09 Thu. 2007

Pit: Final Smash
Characters
Kid Icarus: The Underworld

Aug. 08 Wed. 2007

Kid Icarus: The Underworld
Music
Ike: Special Moves

Aug. 07 Tue. 2007

Ike: Special Moves
Characters
Smoke Ball

Aug. 06 Mon. 2007

Smoke Ball
Items
What is the Subspace Emissary?

Aug. 03 Fri. 2007

What is the Subspace Emissary?
Movie Game Modes
Castle Siege

Aug. 02 Thu. 2007

Castle Siege
Stages
Ike

Aug. 01 Wed. 2007

Ike

we got really BIG updates this month compared to some other months.......... and this month isn't even over yet.

anybody else notice this?

M.K

Level 55
Yeah, sorry, I mean, Ike didn't get me that excited, cause I don't play Fire Emblem.

But this...I LOVE THIS UPDATE!

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
Probable B Moves?-

Squirtle:

B-Withdraw (Counter move)
B>- Water Gun (Blastoise SSBM move)
B^- (I'm stuck on this one)

Taunt- Puts on sunglasses

Ivysaur:

B- Solarbeam (Charge move)
B>- Razor Leaf (Weak homing projectile. fires two at a time)
B^- Vine Whip (Maybe used for attaching to ledges? I don't think Ivysaur's recovery would be too good)

Charizard:

B- Flamethrower (maybe hold to do SSBM pokeball move except stronger)
B>- Slash (like Bowser's B>)
B^- Fly (would probably work like Pit's Wings of Icarus)

These are just some rough predictions. I only really think a couple of them will make it in the actual movesets in the way I implemented them (Withdraw, Water Gun, Solarbeam, Fly). I only put in the taunt for Squirtle because it's pretty obvious.

EDIT: Oh yeah, maybe on Rumble Falls PT will send out Pidgeot/Pidgeotto?

Star105

Smash Journeyman
Like i said this update caught alot of people off guard but seems to be unique......................

though i wish u can attack red also but it doesn't seems like it..........

Florida

イーグランツ
Probable B Moves?-

Squirtle:

B-Withdraw (Counter move)
B>- Water Gun (Blastoise SSBM move)
B^- HYDRO PUMP

Taunt- Puts on sunglasses

Ivysaur:

B- Solarbeam (Charge move)
B>- Razor Leaf (Weak homing projectile. fires two at a time)
B^- Vine Whip (Maybe used for attaching to ledges? I don't think Ivysaur's recovery would be too good)
DISAGREED. IVYSAUR'S VINE WHIP SHOULD BE HER GRABBING MOVE, WHICH WOULD ALSO LEAVE A POSSIBILITY FOR EDGE-GRABBING. BUT, I CAN'T REALLY THINK OF A BETTER THIRD JUMP...

Charizard:

B- Flamethrower (maybe hold to do SSBM pokeball move except stronger)
B>- SEISMIC TOSS. IT COULD ACT SIMILAR TO BOWSER'S CLAW, HOWEVER.
B^- Fly (would probably work like Pit's Wings of Icarus)

These are just some rough predictions. I only really think a couple of them will make it in the actual movesets in the way I implemented them (Withdraw, Water Gun, Solarbeam, Fly). I only put in the taunt for Squirtle because it's pretty obvious.

EDIT: Oh yeah, maybe on Rumble Falls PT will send out Pidgeot/Pidgeotto?
Read the quote >.>
As for PT's stage-scrolling problem, the guy should just jump... xD
But the flying type Pokémon support idea seems it could work as well... and it would just add to the badass-ness of Pokémon Trainer in general!

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Re: Elemental Hyper-Beams

Actually, in XD you can get a Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile that know them.

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
I was just making rough ideas egrunts, so don't be too hard on me, lol. Your vine whip idea sounds good, but then what would be his B^? Seismic toss actually sounds like a better idea, but i'm pretty sure (not possitive) that Charizard learns Slash while he doesn't learn ST. I dunno tho, I'm not that huge of a pokemaniac.

Top Bottom