• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OMFG pokemon trainer

SonicMario

Smash Master
Most unexpected update since This World...
Oh well, ANOTHER PUNCHING BAG!!!! (along with Wario, not that i hate them. They will be my anger management puppets:chuckle:) I'll give Red a warm welcome, A REAL warm welcome.:devil:

Conker1

Smash Ace
I called this ****!!( except I said Bulbasaur and Charmander not Ivysaur and Charizard)

**** YEAH SQUIRTLE FTW

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
This is probably the first time an update made me fall off my chair. Sakurai should get huge props for creating this incredible character.

As for how it'll work, I've got my ideas.

All the Pokemon are at different stages of evolution. Squirtle's at the first stage, so he'll probably focus more on speed and combos to make up for his potentially weak attacks.

Ivysaur will probably be middle range, not too great in anything, but all in all a safe bet.

Charizard will be a full fighting foce a la Bowser (but hopefully not as sucky), plus wings could make for some Kirby-style jumps. Don't expect him to be too fast though.

I've never been this happy about anything before!

Croco

Smash Lord
hmm I wonder if it imports profiles from Pokemon Battle Revolution?
Like.. yeah it says "Pokemon Trainer" but you never know.. the look of the character might change to one of the character profiles saved on the Wii.

MDupont

Smash Cadet
Best. Update. Ever.

LOL that guy with the banner of all the SSBB characters will have to do some major editing. :p

RoCkStAr69

Smash Rookie
Just when I think we had of all the unique character concepts covered, I have now had my mind and my pants blown right off.

iankobe

Smash Lord
I think for Red's Final Smash could be either: All three pokemon gets POWERFUL attacks such as Frenzy plant, Blast burn, or Hydro canon... or he throws out Lucario?! or just other legendaries...

I don't even know.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Anybody else think of the possibility of the alternate costumes being the different character designs from the games? You could have Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, and Diamond/Pearl.

Maybe even throw in the female trainers.

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
I am upset at the prospect of the Trainer throwing out Mewtwo to control as his final smash...

I mean, this is the trainer from Fire Red/Leaf Green. What is more epic in that game besides Mewtwo?

All in all, amazing character... but I hope Mewtwo is still playable.

GDhunter95

Smash Apprentice

...this is the second time Sakurai's update has completely derailed my train of thought.

Although I can't say I'm completely surprised by it. The way he executed it was nothing like what I would have expected though.

So many questions about the mechanics. Like what happens when you change in the air or off the stage? Does a KO happen when you knock one off screen or when the individual stamina things run out on all three pokemon or both? Still...playable Charizard...mmm.

Croco

Smash Lord
Anybody else think of the possibility of the alternate costumes being the different character designs from the games? You could have Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, and Diamond/Pearl.

Maybe even throw in the female trainers.
Yeah I was thinking that.. but I'm also thinking it might import character profiles from Pokemon Battle Revolution. Except reading "Pokemon Trainer" it might read a Pokemon Battle Revolution profile name saved on the Wii. Though the announcer might still say "Pokemon Trainer."

I'm thinking the same might happen if Boy or Girl from Animal Crossing are playable.. and Miis.

dan smith

Smash Champion
The game play questions this update raises really are numerous. I guess I'll go ahead and assume that you can't swap monsters while your Squirtle is getting Fair'd off the screen by Captain Falcon.

The Stamina aspect is probably key, once a certain Poke hits rock bottom stamina it'll faint and swap?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I can see the final smash of the pokemon of them all appearing on the stage and each unleashing, Hydro Pump, Solar beam, and Flamethrower at the same time.

RoCkStAr69

Smash Rookie
I have to admit, despite the bull-headed stigma against Pokemon nowadays, this is pretty freekin scrumptious.

With the whole multiple characters thing, would this detract from the originality brought up by characters like Ice Climbers, or Zelda/Sheik (lol who played as Zelda)

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
I usually frown upon these kind of leaps of logic and am possibly opening up a big can of worms, BUT...

...if Charizard can be made a character, why not Ridley? While obviously not confirming Ridley in the slightest, I'd say this increases the believabilty (I just made up a word) or Ridley as a smasher.

Gian

Smash Apprentice
i think im the only one here that did't really liked the update/character :S

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
this is sweet. I can already imagine the depth of the character.

dude f-squirtle air to shffled ivysaur ftw
impossible since you can't switch straight from Squirtle to Charizard :p

I can see the final smash of the pokemon of them all appearing on the stage and each unleashing, Hydro Pump, Solar beam, and Flamethrower at the same time.
With the character being "Pokemon Trainer" and not the individual pokemon themselves, there are TONS of possibilities for the FS. He could very well summon a 4th pokemon just for the FS.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I wonder what the trainer does on the Mario Kart stage? Does he get hit by the karts as well? XD

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
i think im the only one here that did't really liked the update/character :S
Eh you're not the only one.

Personally I'm not wild about the character, but the shock factor just threw me for a loop. This sort of thing I would have never expected. It's so unorthodox, I'm really impressed.

Though I gotta say the strategy behind this character will be nuts.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
This update was so superspecialawesome.
How could you not like this update?
The graphics for the Pokemon are pretty nice.
Charizard is crazy.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
this looks intresting, charizard should be able to fly as his jump which is pretty awesome, ive always wanted to control a pokemon likee charizard and guess what now i can haha BRAWL IS AMAZING, at the same time i hope this is it for pokemon characters in the game we dont really need any more unless they replace mewtwo with lucario or sumthin

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
GUYS HAVE U THOUGHT ABOUT CHARIZARD?? I mean If CHARIZARD (A flying Dragon) -altought its fire type- is in the game RIDLEY HAS MORE CHANCE TO BE IN THE GAMEEEEEE!! it would be awesome!

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
yeah this does open up possibilities for RIDLEY not to mention a whole bunch of other characters i mean if a "pokemon trainer" can be in the game why not sonic or ridley or diddy kong etc

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'd have to say that... well, this doesn't do anything with Ridley. The only thing I really see it doing is perhaps reducing the chance of the other pokemon choices (or maybe summoning Lucario as the Final Smash).

So, if you try to switch when you're in the middle of recovering, think he'll toss out a pokeball which will just fly straight to the bottom and explode?

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
This update was so superspecialawesome.
How could you not like this update?
The graphics for the Pokemon are pretty nice.
Charizard is crazy.
I don't really like starters. Though Charizard ain't that bad. Too overrated imo.

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
that could be a possibility to don't allow switching out pokemon while you're recovering because u can be inmune while changing pkmn, but u can use this strategy to switch pokemon if u're about to take some serious damage... that will be the cool thingy of pkmn trainer.. the strategy!!!! just blow your mind 3 different movesets!!! O__________O

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
I like this update. Kudos to Sakurai for this one. my theory on the the trainer on scrolling stages.

I think the trainer will move up in a stage like jungle falls with the use from maybe another pokemon. a flying one perhaps. it wouldnt be playable but I think maybe a pidgeotto or a pidgeot would hold him while the stages scrolled and he could still throw pokeballs while in the sky so not much of a problem there.

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
that could be a possibility to don't allow switching out pokemon while you're recovering because u can be inmune while changing pkmn, but u can use this strategy to switch pokemon if u're about to take some serious damage... that will be the cool thingy of pkmn trainer.. the strategy!!!! just blow your mind 3 different movesets!!! O__________O
Makes me wonder though, will the inclusion of the Poke'mon Trainer mean that Brawl will miss out on one or two other potential new characters?

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
Unless there's a bit of lag time after switching...
maybe, just like Ike... it could take the damage but it doesn't move like Ike does whe he's using UpB =) ,and about DK stage, having a pidgeot to move its a goode idea... and guys if u see the pic that Squirtle is... that is the DK stage!!

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
This update made me very happy, and I don't even like Pokemon. Just to see this much variety and new mechanics in the game; I'm friggin giddy.

soaz

Smash Ace
I think its good taking a couple of pokemon in one spot unlike mewtwo,pichu and jigglypuff.I think that its a good idea since there would be more characters this way.

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
This is what I'm talking about. A unique character design that adds elements of the game he comes from. The idea of having to make smart choices in deciding the right time to switch out Pokemon is a much deeper and more rewarding way to implement a character design, moreso than just throwing together a bunch of semi-familiar moves.

I'm also intrigued by this idea of Pokemon losing stamina if they're fighting for too long, and probably only gaining it back they stay in the Pokeball for a short while. It's clearly based on the ideas of Zelda/Sheik from Melee, but they found a way to keep people from simply finding the "Sheik" of the three and ignoring the rest. Smart switching was supposed to be the idea of the Zelda character in Melee, but most people just rejected it. Now you no choice but to switch, which makes me want to dance with joy.

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
This was totally unexpected o_O
The stamina idea makes it more pokemon-ish great idea and good way to prevent the only-sheik-is-my-main you actually have to master them all =P
I cant wait for further updates on this one

Oh I can see this coming: Clear Adventure with this character to unlock Female Pokemon Trainer xD (with the 2nd or 3rd generation starters)

Top Bottom