• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Stage Discussion Thread (Rainbow Cruise)

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
first part, abuse it just like a bf without the middle part, so its like just playing on edges of bf with a slope giving you advantage on right but disadvantage on left

second, destroy the staues so you force them to approach from in front an then abuse your grabs near all walkoffs, and camping at top works wonders

third part: see fd and adjust to tilt and smaller stage

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Statues are good for using moves like f-tilt on to refresh your other moves.

EDIT: Next stage? Anything else to add?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Alright, I'm assuming were done with castle siege. Delfino now. I'll analyze it later...but I love this level. The music is so happy and the colors are wonderful :D

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Blue army.
Walled section.
Red Awning. (red plucks)
Shallow water (Blue plucks)
Battlefield-like stage parts.
Walk offs(!)

Beach: Stay on the ground, use the slope of the island to do ridiculous surprise grabs or floaty fsmashes.
Walk offs: Stay in the center or abuse bthrow.
Grab ledge, upair, upair, upb works on battlefield section.

UPB is awkward sometimes.

Rocann

Smash Lord
Olimar has a lot of trouble using his biggest assets (range and ability to get away while still attacking) on the pillared part. It's awful.

Don't forget that an Up + B through the little walled parts (like if you're standing in the water where MK/Marth/GnW like to tilt trap) can net you a surprise kill at medium percents.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Blue army.
Walled section.
Red Awning. (red plucks)
Shallow water (Blue plucks)
Battlefield-like stage parts.
Walk offs(!)
Also the beach has red\yellow plucks. I usually pick this stage against snake. certain stages of delphino really mess with snake (pillar section?) and being that delphino is the only stage so far to have increases in red, that's always a plus against him.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Olimar has a lot of trouble using his biggest assets (range and ability to get away while still attacking) on the pillared part. It's awful.
I see what you mean and it isn't great here, but the pillars do allow for some interesting ledge camping.

There are so many parts to this stage, so it may take a bit for me to study each of them. So far, the moving platform area (the starting thing), basically, play it like bf, but utilize up-airs from underneath the stage. Also, I suggest studying the ledge to recognize the where you are able to tether it from.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Alright, this level is too annoying to analyze well. I'll try to get to it sometime, but for now, I'm just skipping it. We'll do halberd in the mean time.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Bump!
Alright, sorry I haven't been able to do much recently.
Halberd is pretty simple. On the moving part of the stage, use the platform for combos and taking cover from air attacks. Because the ground isn't solid, you can up air from underneath the stage Once the platform lands, the stage is very wide. The platform remains in the middle, so you can use that, otherwise it's basically fd, with some hazards added :p. Like with any other character, avoid them at all costs, and try to get them to hit your opponent.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
K, I'll just keep talking with myself. bump. Updated delfino and halberd, please add anything. Lylat now. Just realized that when they release the new ruleset and changes to legal stages, I'll have to rearrange the list rofl.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
-Halbred-

Kill them upwards easily.
Do not use against others who KO up easily as well.

-Lylat-
Use the tilting of the wings to your advantage. Grab, Fsmash, Dsmash.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
-Halbred-

Kill them upwards easily.
Do not use against others who KO up easily as well.

-Lylat-
Use the tilting of the wings to your advantage. Grab, Fsmash, Dsmash.
Someone dares to post in the "Dyyne only thread"? Jk, thank you lots. What makes killing easy upwards? Is it a low ceiling? I never noticed, personally.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
It has a low ceiling, especially part one.
It's about just one landed attack less than on Corneria, not the fin of course.

Part two is normalish, but still is lower.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
By part one, you mean the moving platform? And part two as in when it lands?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
ok, I edited it. On lylat, you can uair through the stage, but it may be risky because you might get mega gimped. Don't abuse it, but throw it out once a set maybe?

asob4

Smash Champion
i used to do well there but i haven't been there in forever
everyone from palmdale bans it D:

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Alright, the op is updated with a lylat summary. Pokemon Stadium 1 now.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Post stuff plox! Pokemon stadium 1 is the current stage, feel free to add to any others. Alls I got so far is blackwaltz's amazing quote!

EtherealKing

Smash Cadet
You can Uair at the ledge much like on FD; theirs lots of space for pikmin tossing also, and not much of anything to get in the way. (assuming its in its normal phase.) The windmill is awesome I'm an idiot for ever saying it wasn't. The grass phase is pretty good for Uair.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
well... stadium has the second most options for different pluck percentages. (bet fino could guess i'd bring this up ;D)

water increases blue/yellow
the trees, white (meh)
metal platforms, yellow/purple...

i pick stadium for this reason alone lol
having any pikmin color control is tooooo good.

that's about all i got ;P

Olimarman

Smash Ace
PS1 could possibly be my favorite stage to play on. Its essentially FD with two small platforms in the normal tier. The windmill is great for comboing, almost in a Weegee Mansion sort of way, the platforms on the grass tier are great for uairs and fairs, the house on the fire tier is also great for aerials and usmashing, you can build quick damage on the wall of the tree, and you can camp in the little hole while your upb shoots through the tree. :D I don't really love the rock tier, but its nice to get rediculously early kills on some of the platforms or the giant rock.

PS1 is amazing, especially against Snakes and Mks. I almost always cp PS1 in my sets, that or FD.

Krono

Smash Rookie
your right PS1 is great 4 olimar so is FD i`ll play as him anywhere i enjoy playing him.... he be fun ^_^

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
i'm not sure if there's an order to how you're doing the stages, but if you're open to requests.... i think we should start doing some of olimar's bad stages to make things interesting. Say... Frigate? :D

but not until the PS1 discussion is over of course. Surprised there hasnt been much said about it...

Dyyne

Smash Ace
The order is on the front page. When the new rule set comes out, I'll put the stages in whatever order they will be on the new list of legal stages, and continue going analyzing each one, starting from the top. I'll write the summary for this stage soon, then brinstar is the next stage.

Shintarru

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1676-4016-3956
PS1 is my favorite stage to play on as olimar. I usually cp this stage against mks because I have room to pikmin spam and platform setups.

asob4

Smash Champion
the variation of platforms and pikmin colors is what makes this a good stage for oli
plus the weird ledge properties lol

RichBrown

Smash Master
I beat DSF on PS1 yesterday lol. I managed to catch him in the "jab lock" against the wall in the middle on the rock part of the stage, it enabled me to make an epic comeback.

asob4

Smash Champion
i'm catching up to you in post count rich ;D
and i joined 5 years after you

the jab lock is yet another positive of pkmn 1

Menk

Smash Cadet
That thar ledge on Pokemon Stadium 1...

I dunno if this has been known or not, I wouldn't expect so since not many people play on PS1 (even though it seems to be a WONDERFUL stage for Olimar <3) but anyway
During the uh... one phase. the ledge on the right seems to have a little bump there or something that inhibits movement, it's kind of weird the way it seems to act for me. But if you grab an opponent to where you're standing behind that ledge and the pikmin has to go over it, the pikmin seems to get stuck on said ledge, and just struggles trying to pull the opponent back over... not really reaching olimar and just making you stand there looking stupid.
I know I felt stupid, smashing the control stick to the right for the 5 seconds I was sitting there.

ANYWAY IS DIS KNOWN OR WUT GAIZ KTHXBAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDxhy6AyufI&fmt=18
the grab's at 1:00.

Obviously there's no real use for this, it doesn't HELP at all. Just wanted the knowledge out there.

Menk

Smash Cadet
Darn, oh well. I still feel PS1 is the best CP you can go for if you're unsure of how your opponent does there... not many people go there, so having prior knowledge about the stage is pretty useful. It's pretty much my "oh**** what do i do" stage.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
This thread keeps dying

=(

Why are the other boards so much more efficient than us when it comes to these things?

i'd like to make a recommendation. There's a lot of things to be considered when it comes to stage counterpicks, and only one seems to be discussed in this thead, and included in the OP

-Olimar's abilities on the stage
-Character Matchup Advantages/Disadvantages on the stage
-Advantages from terrain that could slightly alter a matchup (included in matchups on the stage?)

The old character matchup thread is... well, dead. Dead and inaccurate. new stage counterpicks are being found. Other boards are finding stages we need to look out for. RC isnt olimar's worst stage in EVERY matchup anymore. And as closely related as the two threads are, they need to not be in two seperate threads. They're far too important to not be in the same thread. It's too hard to keep them both organized and synchronized

TL;DR: i think important matchups that are altered by the stage should be included and discussed in this thread, or a new thread should be made with this information and matchup information, and stickied. Organization.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
The point of the thread wasn't about counterpicking specifically, but just rather how each stage blends with oli. I don't include character matchups because dabuz's thread was sposed to cover CPs. Despite my efforts, it repeatedly died, so I gave up on that...I'll make a new cp thread though I guess, but I know that it should be separate from the actual stage analysis. As for terrain, I'll try to mention some of the more significant changes.

As for my not updating, that is currently due to levels like this that change that intimidate me when writing summaries, and the large lack of help in me doing so. Alls that has been posted is stuff about the ledge, a bit of terrain info, and most of the posts are just about how much people like the stage...I'll try to bust out the summary though...

Top Bottom