• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
All I need is a time and I'll be there if it works. I like the idea of recording the convo (for private usage only of course).

Besides Marth, what other match ups AiM convos have I missed?

IcyLight

Smash Lord
ok, im going to say this.

about a year ago, there was an mk description posted in oli back room pretty much saying once mk has learned the matchup it's going to be HEAVILY in his favor, as in 75-25 or better mk favor. does anyone else seem to find this is starting to come true? i can't do **** against good mk's any more, only the scrub ones who run into pivot grabs. it's getting frustrating trying to fight them and know when they are in my face there is nothing i can do.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well... don't ask me. I don't know wtf to do against them either. <.< Same boat.

Technically speaking, if he's close he can just dtilt spam and you can't do ANYTHING but attempt to drop your shield, powershield, and then drop that and use a tilt or jab. I was fightin Fearless in doubles with MK and I'd just walk towards him, short hop into a tornado if he fsmashed, or dtilt/ftilt if he grabbed. Then you spam dtilt over and over, and you're screwed hard.

That or roll, which spells out "dash-grab me."

But... I really suck badly against MK with Oli though, so don't listen to me. >.>

Denti

Smash Master
i lose and win against MK 50-50 of my matches, I'll be able to help and give input. important thing about this match up is mind games/predictions. if you fear the MK you'll lose, that's my motto.

Noa.

Smash Master
With the Falco matchup finshing up, it's time to move on to another matchup.

What character should we do now? How about G&W? That's an easy matchup.

Noa.

Smash Master
Hmmm. Maybe I'll make the Snake matchup summary. All I have to do is just summarize the thread. And Hilt would look over it anyway. I know the matchup pretty well too. I just need time. Probably by Wednesday night I could do it.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I have no school Wednesday, so I could probably work on Falco.

Keep in mind that a lot of it has to be accepted contributions from the actual discussion, not personal opinions.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
Well... don't ask me. I don't know wtf to do against them either. <.< Same boat.

Technically speaking, if he's close he can just dtilt spam and you can't do ANYTHING but attempt to drop your shield, powershield, and then drop that and use a tilt or jab. I was fightin Fearless in doubles with MK and I'd just walk towards him, short hop into a tornado if he fsmashed, or dtilt/ftilt if he grabbed. Then you spam dtilt over and over, and you're screwed hard.

But... I really suck badly against MK with Oli though, so don't listen to me. >.>

game3pools?

IcyLight

Smash Lord

this is exactly how mk's play in my region, it's stupid xD

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
What I should have said was if it really just boils down to dtilt and tornado to beat Oli's best spacing moves (shown by the doubles matches), it doesn't seem to me like it could be very close to even. Really the opposite. In teams, where albeit it was much easier to get near you for obvious reasons, I experienced the simplicity of this tactic first hand. I've played against other oli players too. It works on them as well.

The difficult part for me is getting close enough to do what I stated earlier without getting pressured from purple pikmin, dashing upsmashes, and/or getting grabbed from pivotgrabs a ton. That experience is what you get by playing the matchup though- something I have very little experience doing, unfortunately. :/

That said, you're significantly better than me at the MK matchup from Oli's perspective than I am at fighting Oli from MK's perspective... if that makes any sense. Fighting against Oli is like playing a new game, of sorts. I feel that once I learn how to play this new game, though, it'll be really easy.

That and sleep johns. :p

IcyLight

Smash Lord
What I should have said was if it really just boils down to dtilt and tornado to beat Oli's best spacing moves (shown by the doubles matches), it doesn't seem to me like it could be very close to even. Really the opposite. In teams, where albeit it was much easier to get near you for obvious reasons, I experienced the simplicity of this tactic first hand. I've played against other oli players too. It works on them as well.

The difficult part for me is getting close enough to do what I stated earlier without getting pressured from purple pikmin, dashing upsmashes, and/or getting grabbed from pivotgrabs a ton. That experience is what you get by playing the matchup though- something I have very little experience doing, unfortunately. :/

That said, you're significantly better than me at the MK matchup from Oli's perspective than I am at fighting Oli from MK's perspective... if that makes any sense. Fighting against Oli is like playing a new game, of sorts. I feel that once I learn how to play this new game, though, it'll be really easy.

That and sleep johns. :p
all you had to say was sleep johns and we would have understood

Razek

Smash Apprentice
live with insomnia then call sleep johns :D

jk but yeah, the match isn't easy for mk or olimar, just saying... it's -very- do-able

-fearless on raz's acct

Llumys

Smash Champion
I don't think Olimar has the tools to be consistent against Meta Knight.

Obviously, out-smarting him is possible, but if he knows the match-up, he shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Noa.

Smash Master
The mk matchup is obviously in his favor. But I still don't think it's unwinnable. You just have to be extremely active against him. You never stop moving and just keep the momentum going. I haven't played the matchup too many times, but it really doesn't seem unwinnable.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Meh. I wouldn't call it absolutely unwinnable. I still believe that if the Meta Knight knows what he's doing, he should win. Olimar can't handle Meta Knight's defensive tactics.

Also, you're right. You have to deal with this match-up very differently.

Noa.

Smash Master
Well, if the MK knows what he's doing, aka knowing the matchup, and he should win all the time if he knows the matchup, that makes it an unwinnable matchup.

Not that I believe that though.

Zori

Smash Champion
i dont think its the defense part of mk that we cant beat, its when he finally lands and goes on the offense

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Frame data for item toss:
Code:
               Hitbox         Animation
Forward        8              24
Backwards      11             25
Up             12             23
Down           7              20
Dashing        5              37
Z Drop         1              2
"Hitbox" is when the hitbox for the attack begins. It doesn't end until it hits something or the ground. "Animation" is how long Olimar is in lag, starting from the initiation of the attack. For instance, if the Animation lasts 24 frames, Olimar can do stuff on 25. All of the animations for aerial item throws are the exact same as their grounded counterparts, except that there is no dashing item throw in the air, obviously.

Jump Cancel Item Throw is a nice substitute to Dash Item Throw, if you don't want to suffer the extra frames of lag. However, you cannot JC Item Throw forward during a dash, it will end up Dash Item Throwing instead. In order to JC Item Throw, throw the item within frames 2 through 5 of an initial jump. For every frame, excluding the first frame, add one frame to the time of the hitbox and the animation. For instance, if you perform the item throw on frame 3 of the jump, you will add 2 frames to a backwards item throw. The hitbox will come out on frame 13, the animation will lasts 27 frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom