• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OK! Ness Q&A/Social Thread

Bryonato

Green Hat
It's just a timing thing. I kept pressing jump too early since magnet is so slow. Just had to slow down a little bit and now I can get it pretty consistently,

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Lol. Moving too fast. i wish i had that problem...
I understand themove now. I just needtopractice it. It sounds really good.

Bryonato

Green Hat
IMO it's a rather hard move to understand/utilize and takes a lot of practice (with momentum shifting and stuff like that) but is well worth the effort.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Definitely, most fun things to do is SH Magnet (as low as possible), DJC FF dair. Position yourself behind their shield with b-reverse/DJ momentum, and switch up the timing of the dair each time you do it, from instant to even a full second delay.

If you hit, do it again, as everyone bounces high enough from the dair for the next magnet to hit. If they miss the tech on the 2nd dair, do it AGAIN, and again if you can.

infuriating, effective, and damaging, I love doing it.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
IMO it's a rather hard move to understand/utilize and takes a lot of practice (with momentum shifting and stuff like that) but is well worth the effort.
I see what you mean. Ever since i watched sinisterB i have considered Ness to be almost as technical as Fox. Wen I picked him up I was excited to explore all of his options. He's a really deep character, which has made him the most fun character i've played in a while. I can't wait to try this out!

Bryonato

Green Hat
Definitely, most fun things to do is SH Magnet (as low as possible), DJC FF dair. Position yourself behind their shield with b-reverse/DJ momentum, and switch up the timing of the dair each time you do it, from instant to even a full second delay.

If you hit, do it again, as everyone bounces high enough from the dair for the next magnet to hit. If they miss the tech on the 2nd dair, do it AGAIN, and again if you can.

That's a really great strat. I love using magnet to techchase. I'll definitely have to try that out.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Yea, Ness has few tools to cover tech chases effectively. His long DD helps somewhat, but he cant do what Falcon does (jab to cover both the missed tech and spot tech, then reacting to the side techs). Magnet opens this up however, hovering over where they land lets you react to the missed and the spot tech by hitting up on the control stick and down on the c-stick. If they tech to either side, reverse in magnet and do one of the side DJ to chase with fair.

Magnet is an amazing tool, I love it.

And Ness is probably one of the most unique character in terms of play style, imo

The_NZA

Smash Lord

Got a video bruh?

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Not as ****ing broken as Mario, I hate him so much.
Mario makes me want to tear out my hair. That stupid dash attack tanks like everything and lasts forever, not to mention it leads into every single move he has. Them fireballs too...

Bryonato

Green Hat
His dash attack is nice but it's super easy to punish if it gets predictable. Idk how many times I've shield grabbed against/been shield grabbed using his dash.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Got a video bruh?
I technically do, I did it a few times during my stream yesterday, but I cant find exactly where :/

btw, would you guys find short vids of mid/high level BnB combos useful? I could highlight and upload some of the less situational combos I do, if someone would find it useful

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I technically do, I did it a few times during my stream yesterday, but I cant find exactly where :/

btw, would you guys find short vids of mid/high level BnB combos useful? I could highlight and upload some of the less situational combos I do, if someone would find it useful
Yessir! That would be quite awesome indeed! I would be eternally grateful!

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Im sorry about the tutorial video failing, but I realized that I cant really make one as I am right now. I'm still discovering stuff about Ness, I dont have full access to a capture card, I don't have footage of some of the things Id have liked to go over, and I have no experience in video editing. I'm getting myself a bad name by trying to hype it that I'm trying to do something then pulling a 180 and stopping, but I just can't do something like that at this point.

The "videos" I meant in that post would be nothing more than 5-10 second videos of combos that are flexible and useful (like using nair instead of fair out of d-throw->magnet). Videos uploaded directly from twitch.

and I new realize it sounds like Im trying to show off... I need to think my posts through more...

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Just for reference, this is what I was talking about (with appropriate description):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6PC4Bz_1jk&feature=youtube_gdata

d-throw-SH Magnet-DJC FF nair-d-throw-magnet-DJ uair-uair.

The first re-grab setup works at lot %s (30), on any DI but directly up. Timing is different than using fair. Works only on mid-weight characters. Floaties will drift away from the d-throw, or be able to break between the nair and the grab.

The second bit is more situational, In the video it happened due to my opponent missing the tech. It can work even if they tech by delaying the magnet to follow the tech. The platform only helps the opponent, magnet can lead to uair at those %s naturally.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Man, I love my felllow nessirs. i scroll down the page and keep liking everyone's comments cause y'all are so civil up in here.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Just for reference, this is what I was talking about (with appropriate description):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6PC4Bz_1jk&feature=youtube_gdata

d-throw-SH Magnet-DJC FF nair-d-throw-magnet-DJ uair-uair.

The first re-grab setup works at lot %s (30), on any DI but directly up. Timing is different than using fair. Works only on mid-weight characters. Floaties will drift away from the d-throw, or be able to break between the nair and the grab.

The second bit is more situational, In the video it happened due to my opponent missing the tech. It can work even if they tech by delaying the magnet to follow the tech. The platform only helps the opponent, magnet can lead to uair at those %s naturally.

bro, you forgot the most important part of the combo which you missed when you did it

d-throw-SH Magnet-DJC FF nair-d-throw-magnet-DJ uair-uair-> PK THUNDA 2

Never forget the attempt pk thunder 2. Because if you hit with it, then gg no re.

Bryonato

Green Hat
RIGHT? Combo ending with pkt2 is THE ****. Whenever I do it people always get salty and give me the "that was luck hurr durr" bull****.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Gmaster, I'm watching your stream and your stage on mario circuit looks AMAZING. Also, so does your character select scene. Mind sharing your files/setups?

GMaster171

Smash Ace
DOUBLE POST SHOOT ME

Started a Skype chat for Ness peoples

either PM me your Skype or add me (search GMaster171, should find me)
idk how active it will be, but we can try lol

Kayo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiddKayo
3DS FC
0989-3028-4971
RIGHT? Combo ending with pkt2 is THE ****. Whenever I do it people always get salty and give me the "that was luck hurr durr" bull****.
Combos should never "end" with PK Fire. ;)

Nope, I'm with you there buddy.

Nobody else can see the truth tho.
It is you who fails to see the truth. Green Ness master race.

Bryonato

Green Hat
I want to spend today learning ness. What is his game plan? Any advice / vids to watch
Honestly spending some time reading around in the board here would do you a lot. There's so much great info in the two separate magnet threads and plenty of footage in the video/critque thread. Start here.

UGH double post I am noob

jalued

Smash Lord
How do you do downB to slide into an upsmash? Is it just a very fast aerial vB followed by a wavedash or is there something else?

Mucking round with vB movement stuff right now, it seems neat :)

Bryonato

Green Hat
to my knowledge that will only work on specific characters at low %. generally if you're going to wavemagnet you want to grab out if it. i feel like usmash would be too slow

Top Bottom