• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OK! Ness Q&A/Social Thread

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Vegas is the best. I have the cheapie version, but I am constantly amazed at how powerful it is. How is the Ness tutorial coming along? I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Not much chance to work on it, final projects and exams need finishing first. I have a brain full of ideas and an intro in development atm lol

not much... but...
:p

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I know how that feels. School gets in the way of too much important stuff. Quick question though. Does the dj cancel only halt your vertical momentum? Or does it decrease your landing lag too. I noticed that when sinister was dj canceling into aerials, ness was not flashing white. Maybe i just missed it though.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
It only halts your vertical momentum growth. This means that if you cancel it early, you will drop like a stone. If you cancel it later in the jump you will still continue rising until gravity overcomes the momentum you already have built. It has no effect on land lag, he must have either been missing l-cancels or hitting the early AC windows on the moves (the frames you can land on to have no lag, its fairly easy to do with fair and bair), or the video was messing with the flashing.

How would you describe Ness in Melee, his problems in 64 were his range and recovery (two large problems in that game), and in brawl it was mostly the grab release and again recovery (but correct me if I'm wrong). In Melee, his recovery lacked, but he seemed to have combos and kill power. Was it just his range, recovery and speed that made him bad?

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
http://www.twitch.tv/dazee_/b/421102430

lots of footage here, i'll be back with timestamps when i've gone thru it

stuff gets good a little after an hour and 30 mins i think

streaming again today (wednesday) with dazrin & starwaffle, i'll post when we're up

make sure y'all tune in

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
there was so much footage on there

daz said it was probs cause twitch took it down for being too long (13 hours)

blahhhhhhhhhhh

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Who's going to evo? I'm hella rusty from not having time to play smash for a few months, I'd love to get a lot of friendlies in with the other ness players.

Nido

ily Sebby
Hey guys I'm a Ness main from Brawl who'd love to start using Ness in P:M, but I never played Melee so I don't have much techskill and whatnot so could I have some pointers on some really bread and butter stuff to learn both for Ness and in general?

It'd be really appreciated!

Bryonato

Green Hat
Awesome! Always great to see new Ness mains :) First things first: if you aren't familiar with Ness' changes in PM I implore you to read up on them here:
http://projectmgame.com/en/characters/ness

As far as bread and butter goes the first thing that comes to mind is DJC, or "double jump cancel." It's a simple technique that allows Ness to make the most of his potent aerial game. If you played any SSB64 this may or may not be familiar to you already. Basically what it allows you to is cancel the momentum of your second jump with an aerial attack, allowing you to do Uair, Dair, etc very, very close to the ground. You can even fastfall out of DJC which results in the crazy stuff. Here are two good examples of DJC (and just solid Ness play) in action:
http://www.twitch.tv/dazee_/c/1923218
http://www.twitch.tv/dazee_/c/1821241

Ness also has a fairly strong grab game. Each of this throws has it's use which is pretty nice. Uthrow for chaingrabbing spacies, dthrow for pretty much everyone else (as far as comboing goes). Fthrow off the ledge can lead into some great edgeguarding opportunities and Ness' backthrow is still as strong as ever. As long as you're not throwing your opponent across the stage it usually kills around 110-125% depending on DI, weight, etc.

Ness specials are pretty sick too. PKFire is stronger than it's ever been. It's fast, spammable and amazing at setting up grabs. It activates on shield too which can set up a punish if you can read your opponent trying to roll out of shield. PSI Magnet actually has a hitbox now and operates similar to a shine and it is also very useful for aerial momentum shifting with a Brawl tech called wavebouncing/breversing. Not sure if you are familiar with those but you said you're a Brawl player so you might be. PKThunder2 is a lot safer since Ness cancels all of his landing lag upon hitting the ground. He also has a few frames of invincibility at the start and a constant hitbox around him while he is aiming pkthunder/flying through the air. The move is still very punishable though. PKFlash is better, especially in 2.6 where it has increased distance. I only really use it on characters with a predictable recovery like Falcon, Marth, etc.

A lot of the things I'm talking about you can view in the videos I posted. Also there is a TOOON of Ness footage on my twitch channel too (twitch.tv/bryonato). I stream PM on the regular.

Anyways this isn't much but I hoped it helped. I'd love to answer anymore questions that you have. I also recommend just browsing through the various threads in the Ness board. I learned a lot that way.

Nido

ily Sebby
Thanks it was pretty helpful, I've been trying to get more control over Ness' mobility both in the air and the ground, working the new magnet into my game is a bit difficult though.

Bryonato

Green Hat
I don't blame you. I still struggle with magnet. Just focus on DJC for now and I think you'll begin to see how magnet will fit in.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Everyone has their own color of Ness, eventually you will be able to see players just by which color they play (think of Falcons in Melee)

Cant argue with him being the best tho.

In hype news, I got 2nd at a touny last weekend going 90% Ness. Only got vids of me vs Pit and one of me losing in Ness vs Ivy (I switched to Mario after). The vids with Pit were hype tho, went to last stock last match. Otherwise was hype and fun, making dat money for Ness.

I don't like Ivy, shes so good haha.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Cant wait to see! Don't forget ot post it on the tourney board.

Also, I love some of the ness color skins. Like his 1up outfit, urban outfit, and burnt face outfit are all SO sweet.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Correction: Green Ness is the best.

Yeah if you ever hang out in my Smash streams I ONLY go green/orange Ness. Been rocking that since the 64 days.

Everyone has their own color of Ness, eventually you will be able to see players just by which color they play (think of Falcons in Melee)

Cant argue with him being the best tho.

In hype news, I got 2nd at a touny last weekend going 90% Ness. Only got vids of me vs Pit and one of me losing in Ness vs Ivy (I switched to Mario after). The vids with Pit were hype tho, went to last stock last match. Otherwise was hype and fun, making dat money for Ness.

I don't like Ivy, shes so good haha.
**** Ivy. Also vids pls

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Is it just me, or does magnet come out faster now? I have been practicing it, and when you are on the ground it feels like it comes out amfew frames faster than before. I can check the frame data in PSA, but I just wanted to ask how other people felt.

Also, Since it feels faster, I have been thinking about using it like Fox's shine. Wd magnet wd grab seems to work decently at low %, it's just hard to pull off. What do you guys think?

Nguz95

Smash Lord
You're right. I just checked it. Darn. I would like to see how they changed him though. Right now he feels ultra good. So good, in fact, that I switched to maining him full time. His Black and Yellow costume is the best btw. I kind of wish they cut the startup for magnet in half. 8 frames is too high in a game where lots of characters have moves that come out faster than 6 frames. Whatever, I guess I will stick to PK fires and DJCs instead.

Bryonato

Green Hat
All they did was make DJC timing more lenient, his double jump a little faster (as far as vertical speed goes - this is personal speculation), and made his nB go farther.

I've been advocating for them to make magnet faster for the longest time and they go and speed up Lucas' LOL

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Where my Ness mains at? You all too busy playing Earthbound now that it's been released on the virtual console?

Seriously though, I need a little help. I was watching Calabrel's Ness, and he was doing a lot of Magnet reverse DJC bair to approach. How lefitimate is this option? From what I can tell, it moves him along the ground fairly quickly and allows him to let off one of his most powerful aerials without experiencing too much lag. However, his bair is kind of difficult to sweetspot, at least in comparison to his fair of his dair. I see the value in using magnet to allow him to perform a mobile DJC, but what do you think is the best option out of the aerial wavedash the magnet allows you to perform?

Nido

ily Sebby
I still struggle to get my head around what the actual inputs are in his play lol

I would say Fair because leads into grabs and stuff but Uair could be a solid option vs certain weight classes to get combos going and it has decent horizontal reach forwards and back.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Where my Ness mains at? You all too busy playing Earthbound now that it's been released on the virtual console?

Seriously though, I need a little help. I was watching Calabrel's Ness, and he was doing a lot of Magnet reverse DJC bair to approach. How lefitimate is this option? From what I can tell, it moves him along the ground fairly quickly and allows him to let off one of his most powerful aerials without experiencing too much lag. However, his bair is kind of difficult to sweetspot, at least in comparison to his fair of his dair. I see the value in using magnet to allow him to perform a mobile DJC, but what do you think is the best option out of the aerial wavedash the magnet allows you to perform?

I stream all the time. Come hang out there and maybe I can teach you something. I always enjoy talking about ness. Also Gmaster streams too. I love how Cala uses magnet to extend is aerial momentum to get the most out of his DJCs.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I stream all the time. Come hang out there and maybe I can teach you something. I always enjoy talking about ness. Also Gmaster streams too. I love how Cala uses magnet to extend is aerial momentum to get the most out of his DJCs.
Let's do it. I'll sub you right away.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
I was streaming earlier today (posted in the social thread but not here, forgot :/), you could check the archive to see lots of Ness tho. Im also always up for talking Ness.

2 things:

What are you guys using out of d-throw on midweights? I'v gone from using fair->regrab to using magnet->fair->regrab to just today finding magnet->nair->regrab. Using nair instead of fair guarantees the 10 damage instead of 6/9 depending on number of fair hits, only requires a small change in timing, and works as long as fair does. has anyone else experimented with this, or have any other good followups out of d-throw?

usmash on floaties. Is it just me or does using usmash when floaties are stuck above you (Peach without float, Luigi/Zelda without jump) kinda ruin their day? I was doing this to my friend earlier, and it just didn't seem he could do much, if anything. going off to the ledge seemed like the only option he had. It was on FD, but considering ness's platform movement, it seems like it would happen on a few stages. anyone else do this?

Bryonato

Green Hat
I've switched to using magnet out of dthrow on midweights as well.

Also ****ing ivysaur. Hate that character so much

Top Bottom