• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Zelda Power Rankings (refer to new thread above)

How Should We Determine the Rankings?

• Vote for a Panel

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Have Mars run the Whole Thing;)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Base it off wins and losses

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • rock, paper, scissors

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Have the rankings controlled by a respected member such as Kataefi

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I guess we're doing something similar to this on the Sheik boards. Basically a panel was chosen consisting of 5 knowledgeable players. They meet every few months or so and compile a top 10 or 5 or whatever of who they feel are the best players of their respective character. It's fun plus it gives you a chance to work towards something.

Rankings would be based off of GAMES won, not tournies because realistically Zelda cannot win tournies outside of maybe certain local ones with minimal entrants. MM's would be included and also low tier results would count since the low tier metagame Zelda does well in. Videos would also count.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I guess we're doing something similar to this on the Sheik boards. Basically a panel was chosen consisting of 5 knowledgeable players. They meet every few months or so and compile a top 10 or 5 or whatever of who they feel are the best players of their respective character. It's fun plus it gives you a chance to work towards something.

Rankings would be based off of GAMES won, not tournies because realistically Zelda cannot win tournies outside of maybe certain local ones with minimal entrants. MM's would be included and also low tier results would count since the low tier metagame Zelda does well in. Videos would also count.

Here's a mock power ranking:

1. Riot
2. DarkMusician
3. Jujux
4. NinjaLink
5. Mikey Lenetia
6. Snakeee
7. Scary
8. Veggie
9. sniperworm
10. AZN Finesse
11. Shadow Tactics
12. Dark Peach
13. GreyFox
14. Zeldspazz
15. Kataefi

Thoughts?
I would like to count Wifi but that isn't accurate enough for such things.

A little healthy competition between the Zelda's isn't bad. If anything I think Low Tier winning's is much more viable for Zelda than just winning if your planning on going through with this.

@In Blue: Who would be the 5? DM, and Kata would have to be in it for obvious reasons.

@MrEh: It shouldn't be called a PR cause we don't play each other outside of LagFi. Silver and Silent Rain both live close to me and I don't ever see them at all. Placing on how many games won in LT or MM is fine.

Lol, all in all I guess it is nothing more than a big meatriding but its something to shoot for at the very least.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Seeing how many Zeldas there are that actually play in tournies or actively otherwise I'm guessing this list will stay the same for all eternity from the moment it's first compiled.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I would like to count Wifi but that isn't accurate enough for such things.

A little healthy competition between the Zelda's isn't bad. If anything I think Low Tier winning's is much more viable for Zelda than just winning if your planning on going through with this.

@In Blue: Who would be the 5? DM, and Kata would have to be in it for obvious reasons.

@MrEh: It shouldn't be called a PR cause we don't play each other outside of LagFi. Silver and Silent Rain both live close to me and I don't ever see them at all. Placing on how many games won in LT or MM is fine.

Lol, all in all I guess it is nothing more than a big meatriding but its something to shoot for at the very least.
5 panelists would be Riot, DM, and Kata for sure......other panel members can be decided later. Well I don't think a person who beats a good MK shouldn't count just as much if not more than a low tier win;).

I think it might encourage more players to pick up Zelda and the ones that don't attend tournies to maybe work harder to get their Zelda better?

Seeing how many Zeldas there are that actually play in tournies or actively otherwise I'm guessing this list will stay the same for all eternity from the moment it's first compiled.
I can give you 25-30 players I know of who have used Zelda in tournament. While that isn't an extraordinary number, it's certainly enough to compile a PR from and like I said it could encourage more Zelda tournament activity.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Considering how many tournament placing Zelda's there are, I'm surprised that there's even enough to make a 5-man panel.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Yes I think it's great to have to some healthy competition once in a while!

HSS might be right though - the list might stay like this for a long time simply because there's not much happening in the tourney with solo Zelda.

@ the list I don't think I'm deserving of even being on it - I'll try and get some stuff recorded but for a long time now I've limited myself to MMs and friendlies. I think my Zelda has definitely grown up though from what it was... surprised you haven't considered yourself on there mars though :)

Maybe make it top 10? Because outside the top 10 on your list are players who go in and out of activity regarding 'tournament' zelda or haven't been as involved - obviously meant in the absolute nicest way possible - Grey has kinda retired iirc (correct me on this grey :) ), Dark uses predominantly peach, Spazz has nowhere to go but up imo because he's just starting. Don't know much about Azn and Tactics atm...

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I can give you 25-30 players I know of who have used Zelda in tournament. While that isn't an extraordinary number, it's certainly enough to compile a PR from and like I said it could encourage more Zelda tournament activity.
What I think is the problem here is that the power rankings (or whatever you want to call this list) should be based on constant results. I shouldn't matter how well you do in one undefined match but how consistent your results are. Because very few people use her actively in matches that would actually count it's going to be very hard or maybe even impossible to rate accurately who should get what spots save for few exceptions.

This would make the top positions of the list to stay practically unchanged while the lower spots would be mostly based on very limited or selected showings making them wildly change whenever someone just randomly succeeds or gets lucky and wouldn't tell anything about the real skill levels of the people in it.

Of course I might just be overly pessimistic as usual and I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. Besides, I'm in no position for my opinion about this to even matter anyway, so...

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
No offense, but I don't think this would work well on this board.

We had a PR for the Pikas, and even we had to stop doing it because we don't have enough solid tournament Pikachus..... and the Zeldas have way less.

If you really want to go through with it, I suggest a top 5 at most. Riot and JuJux are the only Zeldas who truly stand out to me in terms of recent, solid tournament results (EDIT: just remembered Mikey, my bad), with Bobby, Snakeee, and maybe NL (haven't checked his Zelda usage lately) having some sets or mms that would qualify them as well.

DPch just started out with Zelda and only plans to use her for mms (plus he "quit" recently, didn't he? or claimed he was taking a break or whatever), Kata already explained why he shouldn't be on it, and everyone else has either lackluster results or hasn't attended tournaments recently/frequently enough to be considered. Or they use Zelda/Sheik, which you can't realistically compare to going straight Zelda.

Basing it off of matches instead of tournament placings is kind of..... sloppy, imo. It's gonna be **** hard to find out who everyone's beaten in tournaments and mms (TOs don't always upload their bracket images; mms aren't formally recorded, so you'd have to rely on everybody reporting their mms accurately or tracking people down). Also, what HSS said:

What I think is the problem here is that the power rankings (or whatever you want to call this list) should be based on constant results. I shouldn't matter how well you do in one undefined match but how consistent your results are. Because very few people use her actively in matches that would actually count it's going to be very hard or maybe even impossible to rate accurately who should get what spots save for few exceptions.

This would make the top positions of the list to stay practically unchanged while the lower spots would be mostly based on very limited or selected showings making them wildly change whenever someone just randomly succeeds or gets lucky and wouldn't tell anything about the real skill levels of the people in it.
There's also the fact that a lot of Zeldas are based in Europe, and imo, it's not fair to compare such drastically different metagames on the same PR. For the Pika PR, we had good European Pikas listed as honorable mentions because even if you know they're good, it's just not possible to objectively compare a European player's performance to an American player's performance. They're two different metagames with two different sets of players who very rarely mix, if ever.

Including low tiers poses the same problem. You can't compare someone playing exclusively in the low tier metagame to someone who's out there bustin *** in standard tournaments. Just isn't fair.

I simply don't see this being accurate beyond the obvious top 2 or 3. I also see the list staying the same for all eternity unless we get some random ****ing awesome, active Zelda sometime soon.

But hey, good luck, I guess.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799

HSS might be right though - the list might stay like this for a long time simply because there's not much happening in the tourney with solo Zelda.

@ the list I don't think I'm deserving of even being on it - I'll try and get some stuff recorded but for a long time now I've limited myself to MMs and friendlies. I think my Zelda has definitely grown up though from what it was... surprised you haven't considered yourself on there mars though :)

Maybe make it top 10? Because outside the top 10 on your list are players who go in and out of activity regarding 'tournament' zelda or haven't been as involved - obviously meant in the absolute nicest way possible - Grey has kinda retired iirc (correct me on this grey :) ), Dark uses predominantly peach, Spazz has nowhere to go but up imo because he's just starting. Don't know much about Azn and Tactics atm...
I've come back to her only cause I participate in LT's only for now. Figured I might as well go back to where I started. :)

@KLO: Still despite all of what you just stated, it wouldn't hurt to have a little fun with this. I mean might as well do this just to see how far this can go. If it falls, it falls. If it stays up then that's fine too. Not to mention new Zelda players wanting to play Zelda can actually see where they stand for now, not that it matters much here. All in all this could be fun to see cause we all know, even you, that Zelda is never going to get a high enough placing for anything considering the metagame increase rate for every character. MM and LT are as good of a place as any to start off.

JuJux

Smash Apprentice
There's also the fact that a lot of Zeldas are based in Europe, and imo, it's not fair to compare such drastically different metagames on the same PR. For the Pika PR, we had good European Pikas listed as honorable mentions because even if you know they're good, it's just not possible to objectively compare a European player's performance to an American player's performance. They're two different metagames with two different sets of players who very rarely mix, if ever.
I completely agree with that =o

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the IL power rankings are having distance issues as well for comparisons...and we're in the same state so that kind of says something.

I agree with the people in your mock top 6, but maybe a slight change in order. This is of course me basing wholly off videos though. If you do keep this up, I would recommend a top 5 since many people stated before, there aren't a lot of active tournament Zeldas. (Actually if you look at some LT results, you'd be surprised at some people who use her...but that's LT)

-Mars-

Smash Hero

Kata I member your vids from a long time ago and they were pretty solid, back before you became a big mod dood. Probably would place you higher on my list but I wasn't sure if you even played Brawl anymore lol.

My Zelda still needs a lot of work....i'll know after this weekend whether or not my Zelda still sucks balls.

Top 10 is good it really doesn't matter to me I was just throwing names out there.

Of course I might just be overly pessimistic as usual and I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. Besides, I'm in no position for my opinion about this to even matter anyway, so...
One match can make a career in this game lol, if someone somehow gets lucky and beats like DSF or something I don't think it could be considered a total fluke lol. Good points though.

No offense, but I don't think this would work well on this board.

We had a PR for the Pikas, and even we had to stop doing it because we don't have enough solid tournament Pikachus..... and the Zeldas have way less.

If you really want to go through with it, I suggest a top 5 at most. Riot and JuJux are the only Zeldas who truly stand out to me in terms of recent, solid tournament results (EDIT: just remembered Mikey, my bad), with Bobby, Snakeee, and maybe NL (haven't checked his Zelda usage lately) having some sets or mms that would qualify them as well.

DPch just started out with Zelda and only plans to use her for mms (plus he "quit" recently, didn't he? or claimed he was taking a break or whatever), Kata already explained why he shouldn't be on it, and everyone else has either lackluster results or hasn't attended tournaments recently/frequently enough to be considered. Or they use Zelda/Sheik, which you can't realistically compare to going straight Zelda.

Basing it off of matches instead of tournament placings is kind of..... sloppy, imo. It's gonna be **** hard to find out who everyone's beaten in tournaments and mms (TOs don't always upload their bracket images; mms aren't formally recorded, so you'd have to rely on everybody reporting their mms accurately or tracking people down). Also, what HSS said:

Including low tiers poses the same problem. You can't compare someone playing exclusively in the low tier metagame to someone who's out there bustin *** in standard tournaments. Just isn't fair.

I simply don't see this being accurate beyond the obvious top 2 or 3. I also see the list staying the same for all eternity unless we get some random ****ing awesome, active Zelda sometime soon.

But hey, good luck, I guess.
Good points.

I've come back to her only cause I participate in LT's only for now. Figured I might as well go back to where I started. :)

@KLO: Still despite all of what you just stated, it wouldn't hurt to have a little fun with this. I mean might as well do this just to see how far this can go. If it falls, it falls. If it stays up then that's fine too. Not to mention new Zelda players wanting to play Zelda can actually see where they stand for now, not that it matters much here. All in all this could be fun to see cause we all know, even you, that Zelda is never going to get a high enough placing for anything considering the metagame increase rate for every character. MM and LT are as good of a place as any to start off.
Yep could be fun stuff.....could be fail sauce.....you don't know unless you try;)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'm afraid to even respond since you might think I'm coming at you again, but:

MM and LT are as good of a place as any to start off.
Fine @mms, but I still think that mixing low tier tournament consideration with standard tournament consideration is unfair. They're different metagames, just like European vs. American or Zelda vs. Zelda/Sheik are different.

I'm interested to see what kind of list you guys come up with, but I think it'll end up being more of a subjective list rather than true power rankings, in which case call it what it is: five informed panelists' opinion of who the best Zeldas are.

There just isn't enough consistent tournament or mm data to make a real PR.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Nah this is just Zelda my friend......takes a lot of balls to go all Zelda in a match. It's also incredibly difficult....at least it is for me.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I'm afraid to even respond since you might think I'm coming at you again, but:

Fine @mms, but I still think that mixing low tier tournament consideration with standard tournament consideration is unfair. They're different metagames, just like European vs. American or Zelda vs. Zelda/Sheik are different.

I'm interested to see what kind of list you guys come up with, but I think it'll end up being more of a subjective list rather than true power rankings, in which case call it what it is: five informed panelists' opinion of who the best Zeldas are.

There just isn't enough consistent tournament or mm data to make a real PR.
LOL, lets try my color coded system here. Hooray for elementary school systems. :D

@Red: Lol, its ok. I try not to take it seriously some of the times. Its the approach KLO, the approach. *Fist pumps*

@Blue: You can always have two different list? I dunno I thought if we kept it MM and LT only then it could be like a point system so ta speak. Like earn big points for winning a MM against a high tier'd character like G&W, or Olimar, or Snake, ect. ect. But if it poses too much of a deal then just make two list or just drop MM all together. :psycho::dizzy:

@Yellow: Its hard enough to rank any Zelda, outside of DM and NL being the best, to a PR like the Marth's or MK's cause there are no tourney Zelda that can place in their area in regular tourney high enough.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I think this looks like a fine idea to try if people actually take it seriously. Idk if thats gonna happen though. I am going to try to be more active and pull in some results at some point, so if this moves on hopefully Ill go up ^_^ Im surprised Im even on it in the first place.

@ the low tiers discussion, I think it should be considered but you cant make a PR solely off of LT...as KayLo! said its just not completely fair. But they shouldnt be thrown aside either

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I think any sort of match that involves money is going to pretty much be seriouz business(don't know about you guys but I can't even stand losing one dollar). Also, a lot of the time in LT tournaments people just use their mains so it's stilla competitive environment and of course the pros all have a pocket low tier character that they can use to win a little side money with. If you're putting in 5 dollars you're trying to make some money......least that's how I look at it.

Oh and Zeldspazz or anyone else these are just MOCK power ranking as in "mock me as I make these lol rankings". I'm just throwing names out there so people can see that there i actually a decent number of Zelda players so yea.;)

Bandit

Smash Lord
From what I've gathered, it's basically this:

1) Riot
2) Darkmusician
3) Everyone Else

I say this because they are Zelda mains in tourneys and not just MM's or Low Tiers.

I'd be up on the list if I didn't switch to Brawl+, but in case you're wondering, B+ PR is this:

1) Ryoko
2) Bandit
3) There is no one else :)

None of this post is offensive; it is purely observations through conversations.

:bandit:

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
My friend was telling me about the new B+ codeset..... sounds pretty good.

I might start entering B+ tournies if I like it, in which case I'll be in that number 3 spot, **** yeah.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Haha I need to figure out the whole B+ business so I can try it out. It works over wifi right? That way I could actually play someone ^_^

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
From what I've gathered, it's basically this:

1) Riot
2) Darkmusician
3) Everyone Else

I say this because they are Zelda mains in tourneys and not just MM's or Low Tiers.

I'd be up on the list if I didn't switch to Brawl+, but in case you're wondering, B+ PR is this:

1) Ryoko
2) Bandit

None of this post is offensive; it is purely observations through conversations.

You forgot me. D:

I play Zelda in B+. Actually I play against GHNeko, who isn't that good mind you, cause he is the only one who has it and I wreck his face. :D

@KLO: You should try it out. Too much LOL's in this game to not try it. :)

Bandit

Smash Lord
@GreyFox

Honestly, I forgot you played. The Zelda+ board is just dead so I am only talking B+ Zelda in the social thread now. The new set (GSH2) is an amazing version of her (check out the social thread for the details). The final version of GSH2 is expected to be released around New Year's with just minor tweaks & bug fixes. I don't anticipate any more changes to Zelda from talking to with JCaesar and Cape, so you she'll probably remain the same.

@KayLo

Play the set and fall in love!

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I dont know if I should be on this to be honest. I have not really pulled much with Zelda besides those 2 tournys back in the spring/summer.

It's nice you guys think my Zelda is good. But I wanna earn that right to be on a list like this. Not have it giving to me just by opinions.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I think any sort of match that involves money is going to pretty much be seriouz business(don't know about you guys but I can't even stand losing one dollar).
Random comment, but I honestly can't remember the last time I played a tournament match where I was trying to win. Just thought I'd put it out there, not all tournament players are serious.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
well i'm really honored you put me in top 10, but i haven't been posting here very much. i have been entering tournaments (focusing on doubles and crew really but have placed decently in singles). i'm uploading some new vids right now so i'll post them as soon as they're up, and in the process of working on my 9 month highlight reel. i'll also try an be more active on the boards (school has been eating my time up).

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Two questions to you Mars:

1. Why did you give up on this already? You've already made the thread so you might give this a try anyway.
  2. Why do you feel the need to advertise your own name in the title?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Why is there no mention of Maos?
Maos is ok I guess......does he even play anymore?

Two questions to you Mars:

1. Why did you give up on this already? You've already made the thread so you might give this a try anyway.
  2. Why do you feel the need to advertise your own name in the title?
1. I didn't think anyone actually thought it was a good idea but I guess if people want we can vote for a panel of 5 and go from there?

2. I'm just being my usual self just messing around and whatnot.....i'll edit it out lol.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Maos is ok I guess......does he even play anymore?

1. I didn't think anyone actually thought it was a good idea but I guess if people want we can vote for a panel of 5 and go from there?

2. I'm just being my usual self just messing around and whatnot.....i'll edit it out lol.
For the most part, a handful of us would want to try it out. I've started getting back into Zelda so I can attend for this.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
i'd love to help out with the panel if you want me to. i've been active as a zelda user for awhile now, and I'd love to help out. Plus, this is some healthy competition for the zelda users to strive to do better in tournament matches, MM's and maybe even start getting some highlight reels out there.

Bandit

Smash Lord
If you make a panel of 5 players... you might as well rank the panel because that's just the depth we have here on Zelda boards.

I'm not saying this is a lost cause, but there isn't enough serious players to really do this. I wouldn't rule out the Shieks but just trying to point out that the original list only has 5-7 Zelda mains while the rest are people who happen to play Zelda sometimes.

Tournament Player List of Zeldas (Singles and/or Teams):
AzNfinesse
DarkM
ethanrodgers223
gmJack - Europe
GreyFox
Jujux - Europe
L-T
Powuh of PIE
Riot
ScaryLB
Silent_Rain
Sonic the Hedgedawg
sniperworm
Tempest
Veggie

I'd be on the list, but I only play Brawl+.

This is essentially the list of Zeldas to consider, and there are 15 players (who listed themselves as Zelda tournament players) and 2 are from different countries in Europe (getting back to KayLo's points).

-Mars-

Smash Hero
A lot of people on your list aren't active tournament players anymore and others have become tournament players such as myself. There's also some Zelda's such as Maos who don't really post on the board.

But yes I do see your point.

Bandit

Smash Lord
I just think if you rank Zeldas, you should stick the ones who main them and not the ones who play her on the side. That's all.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I just think if you rank Zeldas, you should stick the ones who main them and not the ones who play her on the side. That's all.

That would kinda be unfair but truth.

However there are very few that do main main her in Tourney

DM
Me
AzNfinesse
Riot
ScaryLB59
Silent Rain (once he starts going to tourneys)

I say just add everyone and if you want make a separate one for the main mains. =/

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Scary uses a lot of Sheik too, iirc, so I dunno if you'd wanna list him as a Zelda main.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Scary uses a lot of Sheik too, iirc, so I dunno if you'd wanna list him as a Zelda main.
What? I thought he went Zelda only. Eh, then it would be just 5, unless others want to classify themselves as Tourney Zelda mains. :dizzy:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Yea, I do use a lot of Sheik but her and Zelda are my only main. No secondaries at all lol.

To me, I only play it to change up my tempo, but if it is strictly pure Zelda then I can understand. That knocks out me, Mars, and Sniperworm I believe iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom