• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
What we need here is sensible, logical and not-stupid people.

Donkey Kong, technically, was the beginning of Mario. Saying that DK is not a Mario character would be generally correct... but only because that fatass plumber first appeared in the original Donkey Kong game. It's more correct to say that Mario is a DK character if anything, but they were separated and only brought together by ****ty-at-best games... until the realse of SSBM, that is.

Their respective spin-offs are irrelivant. The reason more "Mario" characters (i.e. Yoshi, Peach, Bowser) appeared in SSB than any from the DK spin-off is because Nintendo took charge of the Mario franchise.

Donkey Kong was sold to Rare; therefore rendering all characters from that spin-off ineligible to appear in Melee.

Further argument over this will result in such redicule as "n00b," "nublette," or "gtfo my thread and quit using Halo as your excuse to call yourself a ****ing gamer, you ****ing sack of doucheclippings." directed towards you.

And I really don't want to have to go through the trouble.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
...Uh HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?! Mario vs. Donkey Kong?!

Only an idiot wouldn't realize that. I'm sorry, but it's true!
Yes, I'm certainly an idiot because I don't acknowledge a sub-par game for the GBA. That game was not a mainstream Mario or Donkey Kong game, anyway.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Hey, you. Yeah, okay you were on my good side. Let's keep it that way and drop this discussion. The facts have been presented, the answer is obvious, and if it's not you're probably like 14 and shouldn't have a say anyways, k? k.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
HELL NO! DK isn't a Mario character! Yeah true, he appeared both in the Donkey Kong Arcade game, but they later seperated from each other. It's NOT true that Nintendo sold DK to Rare, Nintendo gave Rare an assignment to seperate DK from Mario... So it was THEIR idea!

Rare did a good job with Donkey Kong, and added a big cast of regoniseable characters as Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong and King K.Rool. But now, even after the buyout from Rare, the characters are still owned by Nintendo... Funny though, after Rare was sold, everyone instantly hated DKC... Why? Because they thought DK wasn't suposed to spin-off...

Funny though, since DKC had alot of features from the DK arcades. Barrels, the climbing from DK Jr Arcade, oil factory levels and Cranky Kong -who's the orignal Arcade DK btw. So I think it's Mario himself who went the most spin-off, not DK.

And I HATE what Nintendo is doing with DK at the moment. Mario vs Donkey Kong? Probarly one of the most medicore Mario games I've ever played... Hey, if their reviving the Arcade again, why not add a story into it? Add atleast SOME DKC features, and keep the same gameplay as the arcade but no... Same with DK Jungle Beat btw... >_<; It had the potential to be a perfect DKC-alike game, but no instead it was horrible.

Luckly there's still DK: King of Swing, and Diddy Kong Racing DS...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes it is, DK is far too disrespected because of this! Wario also will keep on staying in Mario games, so you could better call him a Mario character too! Donkey Kong's name is atleast always included in the games he crosses over with Mario, Wario isn't... His first game was even called Super Mario Land 2 or 3...

And about Yoshi, he made his first appearance in a Mario game and even continued to stay in contact with the Mario franchise even in his own games. So I think that Yoshi is a Mario spin off franchise, but DK clearly isn't!

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'm 14 and I'm on your bad side.

My life is over. Oh no.
Beh, your sig is from xkcd. That's enough redemption I suppose.

HELL NO! DK isn't a Mario character! Yeah true, he appeared both in the Donkey Kong Arcade game, but they later seperated from each other. It's NOT true that Nintendo sold DK to Rare, Nintendo gave Rare an assignment to seperate DK from Mario... So it was THEIR idea!

Rare did a good job with Donkey Kong, and added a big cast of regoniseable characters as Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong and King K.Rool. But now, even after the buyout from Rare, the characters are still owned by Nintendo... Funny though, after Rare was sold, everyone instantly hated DKC... Why? Because they thought DK wasn't suposed to spin-off...

Funny though, since DKC had alot of features from the DK arcades. Barrels, the climbing from DK Jr Arcade, oil factory levels and Cranky Kong -who's the orignal Arcade DK btw. So I think it's Mario himself who went the most spin-off, not DK.

And I HATE what Nintendo is doing with DK at the moment. Mario vs Donkey Kong? Probarly one of the most medicore Mario games I've ever played... Hey, if their reviving the Arcade again, why not add a story into it? Add atleast SOME DKC features, and keep the same gameplay as the arcade but no... Same with DK Jungle Beat btw... >_<; It had the potential to be a perfect DKC-alike game, but no instead it was horrible.

Luckly there's still DK: King of Swing, and Diddy Kong Racing DS...
Um... actually yeah, DK was sold to Rare. Nintendo doesn't give "assignments." Donkey Kong (the character) was sold to Rare to make the games. Rare was entirely 3rd party, though at the time; to ensure Nintendo would sponsor the game, they allowed Nintendo to supervise production.

As for the rest of what you said, it's pretty much repeating me in more words. For the last time this needs to be done. There is no plausible argument here.

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo has pretty much made it a tradition to do one Mario Kart for every console and portable they make. I don´t see the franchise dying anytime soon.

In my opinion, the only ones that will definitely not return are Dr. Mario and Roy. Other characters in high jeopardy would be Pichu and Young Link. Then the less popular SSBM contenders follow. I personally hope they only remove Dr. Mario and Roy, though.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Dr.M isn't very much different than mario

1) neutral kick is stronger
2) fires pills ( so weird...)
3) different color cape
4) i bet dr.m doesnt even have a liscence to be on SSBB
You forgot that his cape is a little shorter or longer than marios(but it really doesn't matter). I think him and the other clones should be given their own movesets or should leave. Those characters are...

1.Dr. Mario
2.Falco
3.Pichu
4.Ganondorf
5.Young Link
6.Roy

I actually like Dr. Mario, Falco, Pichu, and Ganondorf better than who they were cloned after, but you could still learn how to use who they were cloned after if they got the boot.

PS: You can tell who the clone charactors are in SSBM because they are all on the sides of the charactor select screen.

LysanderBlack

Smash Apprentice
I'll be Honest. I want all characters from Melee to return in Brawl.
Then, i want a whole bunch more characters added.

But, if I had to choose 5 that I want to return, these would be them:
1) Princess Peach (Because she's my main, and It was wicked to see her doing something other than getting rescued)
2) Sheik (Yeah Yeah, everyone whines, but I enjoy playing as this character)
3) Zelda (I like her conceptually, but she should definaitely be powerd up abit)
4) Ice Climbers (Chudat. I don't even need to explain more indepth than that)
5) Falco (This character was always my favourite from the starfox series. So cocky, so hardcore. He's kinda like my favourite DBZ character; Vegeta!)

Yeah, I agree with Linkster.
The clones should be given more originality. Although I will admit, even with the little differences, the Clones end up playing extremely differently from their originals.

I think the most obvious example of this is Falco, mainly because that Laser and his reduced speed along with inferior recoveries (when compared to fox) all factor in greatly to how he is played at a competative level.

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Dr. Mario is a carbon copy of Mario (physically and storyline-wise he is Mario) and Roy is an unimportant lord put there to advertise what was ultimately considered one of the lesser Fire Emblem titles. In my opinion, neither of them really deserve to be in Smash Bros., and thus shouldn´t return.

Ganondorf, however, is one of the main three characters of the Legend of Zelda series, one of Nintendo´s flagship franchises. He´s cursed to return as a villian every eon and to be defeated by the reincarnation of Link; there´s no question about him deserving to be in SSBB. To revamp his moveset, simply give him a sword and look at Twilight Princess.

Young Link represents every Zelda title before The Wind Waker. He´s not the same person as Twilight Princess Link, who is the other one in the game, so it´s not a Dr. Mario case. Furthermore, he could easily be revamped with moves from the earlier Zelda games while older Link gets some new stuff from Twilight Princess, creating two completely different characters.

Pichu, as much as its existence may bother some, is the sole representative of the second generation of Pokémon. Pokémon is Nintendo´s second best-selling franchise and is selling faster than ever in Japan with Diamond and Pearl; in my opinion, each of the four generations should be represented by a Pokémon. Since Pichu is the most popular of its group, it´s inevitable for it to be there. Besides, it could be given a moveset different from Pikachu´s without much trouble, and could still work as a handicap character.

Falco is, next to Fox, pretty much the most important character of the Starfox series, another of Nintendo´s classic franchises. He got a full makeover in Starfox Battallion, so it would be no problem to give him moves to fit this costume and at the set time setting him apart from Fox. He certainly deserves to be around, considering that he´s been around since the beginning.

So, yeah. Still thinking Dr. Mario and Roy should be the only ones to leave.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion

Donkey Kong, technically, was the beginning of Mario. Saying that DK is not a Mario character would be generally correct... but only because that fatass plumber first appeared in the original Donkey Kong game. It's more correct to say that Mario is a DK character if anything, but they were separated and only brought together by ****ty-at-best games... until the realse of SSBM, that is.

Their respective spin-offs are irrelivant. The reason more "Mario" characters (i.e. Yoshi, Peach, Bowser) appeared in SSB than any from the DK spin-off is because Nintendo took charge of the Mario franchise.

Donkey Kong was sold to Rare; therefore rendering all characters from that spin-off ineligible to appear in Melee.

Further argument over this will result in such redicule as "n00b," "nublette," or "gtfo my thread and quit using Halo as your excuse to call yourself a ****ing gamer, you ****ing sack of doucheclippings." directed towards you.

Oh, well, thanks for expalining it like that. sorry if I cam off as a stupid jerk before.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm not even going to get into the argument of who deserves to be in Brawl. In my opinion, if you were good enough for Melee you are good enough for Brawl. All of this fanboy crap about this character was a filler and this character was just there to fulfill some stupid case is annoying.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I'm not even going to get into the argument of who deserves to be in Brawl. In my opinion, if you were good enough for Melee you are good enough for Brawl. All of this fanboy crap about this character was a filler and this character was just there to fulfill some stupid case is annoying.
Yeah it is kind of annoying.I liked all of the characters in Melee, and i'd hate to see some of them go...

But if they have to go, then, i suppose, there's nothing I can do about it...:(

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
It never fails Red Exodus, if someone speaks bad about a particular character on Melee (or possibly an entirely new candidate for the Brawl roster) that they don't generally like and states some reasons why they shouldn't be on Brawl based on popularity, performance, or just hatred of the character, then it's destiny for someone else to come out of the shadows and flame, argue, & stand up for there favorite character, thus bad mouthing the individual that dare speak negatively about there favorite character. That's just the way it is. Well, at least they agree to disagree.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No actually I think those ARE the most likely characters to leave... What makes Sheik so special that she deserves to stay? Cause she's good in Melee, and populair? Well, every single character in SSB is populair, and loved by people! Yeah even Pichu... ;>_>

The only character which I don't quite agree with Harliart are the Ice Climbers, since they are Sakurai's personal favorites and retro characters. Same could be said about Mr.Game & Watch, but he's more a "OMGWTFBBQ" character and it would be kinda lame if he was the super hidden unlockable character again...

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I think it's more the fact he's stating it as fact than anything else.

To be fair though, all of those characters are up for the chop, but then again so are all the unconfirmed characters at the moment except for ones like Yoshi, DK, Peach, Bowser, Luigi, Zelda, Gannondorf and Captain Falcon who are practically a given (I'd like to include Ness too, but all this talk about Sakurai originally wanting to replace Ness in Melee spawns a little a doubt in my mind about him). All the other characters I think could at least be considered to be cut, but while some like Marth and Jigglypuff are very likely to return, others like the ones mentioned above aren't close to guaranteed. The only ones I disagree on are Ice Climbers and to some extent G&W. I don't really see what everyone has against the Ice Climbers, they are original and retro and I personally find them really fun to play with. G&W problem is that he was the WTF character in Melee, which isn't a role that lasts to the next game, but he still has a good chance of returning IMO.

As for the others, they are quite likely to go. Sheik is controversial as I'm pretty sure most of her support comes from her performance in melee, and there really isn't anything about her actual character in OoT that warrants her a second inclusion. She could return, but I wouldn't say she's bound to at all.

As for the clones, the only one I can see returning beyond a shadow of a doubt is Gannondorf (Falco's likely to, but he could be replaced). The rest are either too similar to the originals to be made different (Dr. Mario, Pichu and Y. Link) or in Roy's case, there are simply more popular and more interesting characters in his franchise that simply deserve his slot more.

This is just my two cents. Feel free to agree or disagree with it as you wish:)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I agree ICs should stay, it won't make sense digging up a bunch of reasons for the argument [this thread moves fast] but the important thing is their originality.

BrawlinNess

Smash Cadet
To be fair though, all of those characters are up for the chop, but then again so are all the unconfirmed characters at the moment except for ones like Yoshi, DK, Peach, Bowser, Luigi, Zelda, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon who are practically a given (I'd like to include Ness too, but all this talk about Sakurai originally wanting to replace Ness in Melee spawns a little a doubt in my mind about him). All the other characters I think could at least be considered to be cut, but while some like Marth and Jigglypuff are very likely to return...As for the clones, the only one I can see returning beyond a shadow of a doubt is Ganondorf.

I have to say I completely agree with you here. I believe that Ganondorf is honestly the only clone I can see being completely re-worked. Falco, maybe but I can't really see him coming back as much as I see Ganon. Still, out of the characters from Melee I think these are their chances of returning:

CONFIRMED:

Mario
Link
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus
Fox

99.9 % Confirmed:

Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Captain Falcon
Bowser
Zelda
Luigi
Ganondorf

75 % Confirmed:

Jigglypuff
Falco
Marth
Ness

50% Chance:

Ice Climbers
Sheik
Mr. Game and Watch

Face It, They're Going:

Dr. Mario
Young Link
Pichu
Roy

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah that sounds pretty realistic... However, I'd put Marth higher and Sheik lower. Not that I think Sheik is deffinatly gone, but 25% change of coming back sounds reasonable I think.

Anyways, your post inspired me so I'll post up my oppinion:

CONFIRMED:

Mario
Link
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus
Fox

Yet-To-Be-Accounced:

Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Zelda
Luigi
Ganondorf
Marth

75 % Confirmed:

Jigglypuff
C.Falcon
Falco
Ness
Ice Climbers

50/50:

Mr. Game and Watch
Young Link

Fairly sure they're gone:

Sheik
Roy
Dr. Mario
Pichu

The reason why I moved Marth up, is because I'm fairly sure the castle stage from the Smashbros.com trailers are from Fire Emblem 1 or 3, the games Marth stared in. And since almost all FE games take place in a diffrent "universe" it would be strange if they used it for their representation, anyways, the castle is NOT from PoR (even though Ike is very likely).

I also lowered Falcon's possition... This may not be quite the best reason but the Mario Kart stage from the second trailer looks alot like the F Zero stage I forgot the name from... Also, there's no F Zero game accounced yet, and C.Falcon COULD be replaced by Mach Rider.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Oh, well, thanks for expalining it like that. sorry if I cam off as a stupid jerk before.
xD Don't worry about it... I'm the one who's supposed to be coming off as a jerk. Don't be trying to take my glory ;p

It never fails Red Exodus, if someone speaks bad about a particular character on Melee (or possibly an entirely new candidate for the Brawl roster) that they don't generally like and states some reasons why they shouldn't be on Brawl based on popularity, performance, or just hatred of the character, then it's destiny for someone else to come out of the shadows and flame, argue, & stand up for there favorite character, thus bad mouthing the individual that dare speak negatively about there favorite character. That's just the way it is. Well, at least they agree to disagree.
Yeah it is kind of annoying.I liked all of the characters in Melee, and i'd hate to see some of them go...

But if they have to go, then, i suppose, there's nothing I can do about it...:(
So far I've seen the majority of arguments for why each character should stay or go. I've seen good arguments and I've seen horribley, stupid, n00b-*** comments that would make even the most level-headed Smasher cringe and implode by the sheer force of ignorance exuding from said n00b.

Just keep in mind that almost all aspects of characters have been discussed, and SO FAR there is not a single shred of evidence that ANYONE is getting booted. I agree with these guys I quoted here, and I prupose that we just simply ignore any run-of-the-mill nub who makes a stupid comment. I know it sounds like I'm making an obvious proposal, but let's take this statement as an example:

"Hey guyz yunglink is so not gunna be smasher he's 2 gey to character."

I can tell you right now there will be several arguments going on just because of this one *******. You have the pro-Young Link smashers demanding evidence to support his claim. You've got the grammar freaks who wont stop *****ing until this guy posts normally (waste of time, ain't gonna happen); and you've got the anti-homophobe and realist groups trying to argue whether or not Young Link is really gay. I would never think of such an argument even being an issue; but I'm sure you guys recall the recent conflict over Pit's sexuality?

So, in short, those of us who are getting annoyed, just relax and wait for a worthwhile comment to acknowledge. Complaining and flaming wont get us anywhere.

And if you really need something to talk about, come up with a topic you think is worthy. Besides, if it's your topic, you've got all the right in the world to flame nubs ^_^

MasterGary

Smash Ace
I was wondering when Ispline or Rhyme was gonna show up and end all wars.
Now we just need Rhyme to show up and agree with Ispline as usual and then evrything in the world is right again. :p

Rhyme

Smash Lord
He is so. He and Mario both premiered ini the same game. They both just spun off into their own series.

in a way, it's like saying Yoshi and Wario aren't Mario characters.
Wrong, Mario and DK are their own characters/series.

Too lazy 'eh? Oh well, it would have been funny. As for the sensible ones, there may quite possibly be a shortage nowadays.

Also, people should stop complaining that they don't wana hear which character is staying/leaving and why. That is the point of this thread. If you don't like it, find Alt+F4 and close the window.

Smash for dummies 101:
Mario=Mario character
DK=DK character.

DK=90-95% chance of return.

~Tera253~
And no one listened. This discussion SHOULD have stopped dead in its tracks here.

Pichu, as much as its existence may bother some, is the sole representative of the second generation of Pokémon. Pokémon is Nintendo´s second best-selling franchise and is selling faster than ever in Japan with Diamond and Pearl; in my opinion, each of the four generations should be represented by a Pokémon. Since Pichu is the most popular of its group, it´s inevitable for it to be there. Besides, it could be given a moveset different from Pikachu´s without much trouble, and could still work as a handicap character.
Pokemon already has several representatives, why would you want to replace existing pokemon with others? Just put in some that are important. Nintendo did a good job with Pika/Jiggs, and their hearts were even in the right place when they added Mewtwo.

Also, this is a FIGHTING GAME where BALANCE MATTERS! Why intentionally add a handicap character? That's what the little handicap setting is for. This argument holds no water, and I'm sure that Nintendo could find another pokemon to take Pichu's place.

To be fair though, all of those characters are up for the chop, but then again so are all the unconfirmed characters at the moment except for ones like Yoshi, DK, Peach, Bowser, Luigi, Zelda, Gannondorf and Captain Falcon who are practically a given (I'd like to include Ness too, but all this talk about Sakurai originally wanting to replace Ness in Melee spawns a little a doubt in my mind about him)

I think I started that "two cents" thing back in the Samus' villain discussion...anyway...

To be fair, the only not yet confirmed characters who have absolutely no chance of being cut are Yoshi, DK, and Luigi. Any other character has at least some chance.

Clearly flamebaiting deliberately. Ignore.
That's exactly what I do when someone states right at the beginning of their post "this is just my opinion". I try to leave opinions out of my post for that exact reason, I know people will just skip what I had written. Of course, there are times when my opinion is neccessary so I try to make sure I inform people before they waste their time reading.

I was wondering when Ispline or Rhyme was gonna show up and end all wars.
Now we just need Rhyme to show up and agree with Ispline as usual and then evrything in the world is right again. :p
You say that as if it were an inevitability.

Mach Rider

Smash Apprentice
Well, we all now know that Mario, Pikachu, Kirby, Link, Samus, and Fox are all coming back for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Personally I don't like the idea of getting rid of any characters from Melee, it would increase the riot of online battle if all twenty-four Melee characters plus all the new ones for Brawl could duel in an all-out frenzy. I certainly hope all the originals will return, meaning Captain Falcon, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Jiggly Puff, Yoshi... I'm not sure about the characters of Melee, hopefully Ganondorf and Princess Zelda stay but with new styles for Brawl.

I can't wait to see DK and Captain Falcon on the Wii. :crazy:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yup, DK and Mario are their own franchises. Everyone who doesn't get that logic, should be nailed at their male reproductive organ... For the girls... Well, you got me there...

DK for Top Tier in Brawl! C'mon, everyone knows gorilla's are the best brawlers around!

Top Bottom