• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
for some reason people r thinking that Ganon is pretty mcu guaranteed but as a completely different person...
i wouldnt mind but the idea while it does seem possible is kind random

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
I hope Gannon and Capt Falcon return, but with new Gannon moves. Also, G$W should return.

I hope all Pokemon but Pikachu get the boot, as well as Falco. No more duplicates, please.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
I hope Gannon and Capt Falcon return, but with new Gannon moves. Also, G$W should return.

I hope all Pokemon but Pikachu get the boot, as well as Falco. No more duplicates, please.
Saying that they'll return doesn't mean as how they were on Melee. This time we'll get a new Falco (if he makes it) and a new Ganon, and there'll be less (if none) clones this time.

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
Characters that are returning
-Luigi
-C. Falcon
-Ganondorf
-Jigglypuff
-Mewtwo
-Shiek
-Master and Crazy Hand

Those that are not returning
-Young Link
-Falco
-Roy
-Pichu
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Dr. Mario

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
-Luigi
-C. Falcon
-Ganondorf
-Jigglypuff
-Mewtwo
-Shiek
-Master and Crazy Hand

-Young Link
-Falco
-Roy
-Pichu
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Dr. Mario
The total amount of characters in your list of non-returning veterans is disturbing.
Let me fix it so I don't have to live in fear anymore.

-Young Link
-Falco
-Roy
-Pichu
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Dr. Mario
Phew! Much better!
Still, I'm not claiming that anyone WON'T return... except for Doc. He's SO gone.

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
-Luigi
-C. Falcon
-Ganondorf
-Jigglypuff
-Mewtwo
-Shiek
-Master and Crazy Hand

-Young Link
-Falco
-Roy
-Pichu
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Dr. Mario

You can add Ness to that not returning List. And take off Falco, he'll be back. Mr. G&W is more likely than Jiffy is. Otherwise, not a bad list.

Indra777

Smash Rookie
Guys, really, the ones who are going to be removed OBVIOUSLY are going to be the clones. I see no reason to remove characters such as Game & Watch, Mewtwo, or Jiggly, they each have their own unique moveset.

Just because Mewtwo/bowser were at the bottom tier does NOT mean that they are likely to be removed, they just need tweaks, people still love to play them. The characters I can see being removed are going to be CLONES! Such as Roy, Pichu, Young Link, and Dr Mario, and Ganon. They are either going to remove them completely or MAYBE luigify their moves.

However we can pretty much be certain that the original 12 from SSB are going to return. This means NESS! And as for Lucas, he just has a few different moves, than Ness, he is NOT a clone.

IMO I would like Dr Mario removed, Pichu, and possibly Roy, because Ike will be the new Fire Emblem character. A few characters need a revamp, especially Mewtwo and Ganon. They should not remove Ganon however even though he is a clone, they put characters in according to their importance to Nintendo. Ganon was a significant character in the Zelda series, so they should just revamp him.

All I got to say.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Just because Mewtwo/bowser were at the bottom tier does NOT mean that they are likely to be removed, they just need tweaks, people still love to play them. The characters I can see being removed are going to be CLONES! Such as Roy, Pichu, Young Link, and Dr Mario, and Ganon. They are either going to remove them completely or MAYBE luigify their moves.

However we can pretty much be certain that the original 12 from SSB are going to return. This means NESS! And as for Lucas, he just has a few different moves, than Ness, he is NOT a clone.

IMO I would like Dr Mario removed, Pichu, and possibly Roy, because Ike will be the new Fire Emblem character. A few characters need a revamp, especially Mewtwo and Ganon. They should not remove Ganon however even though he is a clone, they put characters in according to their importance to Nintendo. Ganon was a significant character in the Zelda series, so they should just revamp him.

All I got to say.
definetly agree with you, Ganon and perhaps Mewtwo should definetly be revamped especially Ganon who would PWN he he had his sword alongside him, also Luigi could maybe get a new move, but other than those three I could care less if the other return or not

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
Guys, really, the ones who are going to be removed OBVIOUSLY are going to be the clones. I see no reason to remove characters such as Game & Watch, Mewtwo, or Jiggly, they each have their own unique moveset.

All I got to say.
Although it is a rumor, somewhere it said not all of the originals would not return. And who better to kick to the sidewalk than Ness and Jiffy? (Good god I make a simple typing error and someone goes crazy. So that's my new name for him)

Pichu, Dr. Mario, Y. Link and sadly Roy are all gone. Why Y. Link is never mentioned is beyond me, he is a clone people. They are aren't returning.

And stop saying "luigify," that just sounds dumb. Luigi is a clone too, but he'll be back with a new moveset, much like Gannondorf.

.:Alex:.

Smash Cadet
Well Dr Mario is more likely to be an alternative costume (seeing as they are actually going for different costumes rather than a colour change this time) I reckon.

Pichy and Young Link will definitely not be in it. Roy is most likely not to be in. As for Juffy and Ness, they can meet a grisly end for all I care.

Ganondorf is most definitely going to be back, and definitely with a new moveset too (now that they actually have the time to make individual movesets this time around). His final smash just has to be Ganon, as obvious as that is. Nothing else would compare.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Hum, it really depends. I hope that Sakurai also meant alternate models along with alternate costumes, because if that's the case Pichu can come back as an alternate model to Pikachu, and Roy can too as an AM to Marth - that is assuming if Marth comes back as well.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Alternate models? I think that's sort of complicated...

Just alternate clothes... I think is enough.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I think Young Link could come back with a fresh moveset as WW Link. I think Game & Watch will stay, but for some reason there seems to be a lack of support for him on this board. Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy are most likely gone. Ness still has a chance of being in, but it is very slight, especially since they planned on replacing him earlier too.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Although it is a rumor, somewhere it said not all of the originals would not return. And who better to kick to the sidewalk than Ness and Jiffy? (Good god I make a simple typing error and someone goes crazy. So that's my new name for him)
Dr. Mario, Roy, and Pichu. But I get your meaning.

Pichu, Dr. Mario, Y. Link and sadly Roy are all gone. Why Y. Link is never mentioned is beyond me, he is a clone people. They are aren't returning.
You won't last on this board long with that attitude. People generally don't take kindly to the "what I state is fact, not speculation" thing, so I suggest you drop it.

And stop saying "luigify," that just sounds dumb. Luigi is a clone too, but he'll be back with a new moveset, much like Gannondorf.
"Luigify" has become a legitimate term on this board, so get used to it. It's a good, fast way to say that a character should be "half cloned" because they are similar to another character but still deserve to be in in their own right.

Also, there's no reason to think Luigi will get a new moveset. He shares a few attacks with his brother (which makes sense) but he's different enough to where it doesn't matter. Literally, move for move, he's really only half a clone. He could get more new stuff (especially now that Mario has FLUDD. Luigi's just begging for the Poltergust) but there's nothing that actually suggests that he will.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
If Ness is back, I will be happy for all the people who want him to be, but realistically I think there is little reason for him now. Why give his special moves to Lucas when he could be given his own, brand new move-set? Besides, Lucas fills in pretty much the exact same role, even if he does have different standard attacks. Why is it that some people are so desperate for him to come back, anyway?

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
I want to make a comment about clones in SSBM. although people don't want clones I think there was a reason for them in SSBM. They had to work with people who where comfortable with certain move sets that worked but they were too slow. Take Link and Y Link for example, some people use Y Link cause they cant tolerate how slow Link is, so they use Y. Link for speed. So take into consideration that individuality of characters are not in move sets but who people are comfortable with playing. A lot of people want clones gone because they feel that there will not be variety in the game. Honestly the SSB seiries is the most dynamic fighting game in the history of fighting games and clones of characters prove it. I'm not saying characters should or shouldnt be booted, im saying that clones are not as bad as you may think. continue your complaining and if you are die hard about a character going, think about whether its the move sets or you just didn't think that character would be good coming back to brawl.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I want to make a comment about clones in SSBM. although people don't want clones I think there was a reason for them in SSBM. They had to work with people who where comfortable with certain move sets that worked but they were too slow. Take Link and Y Link for example, some people use Y Link cause they cant tolerate how slow Link is, so they use Y. Link for speed. So take into consideration that individuality of characters are not in move sets but who people are comfortable with playing. A lot of people want clones gone because they feel that there will not be variety in the game. Honestly the SSB seiries is the most dynamic fighting game in the history of fighting games and clones of characters prove it. I'm not saying characters should or shouldnt be booted, im saying that clones are not as bad as you may think. continue your complaining and if you are die hard about a character going, think about whether its the move sets or you just didn't think that character would be good coming back to brawl.
There was a good reason for clones: Time constraints. It was between having 5 and a half clones, or only have like 19 characters. They went with clones.

Due to lack of time constraints, I don't see clones returning. Sure, they were not as bad as some people say they were because the majority of them played completely differently (take Falcon/Ganon).

Anyway... who I think will return:

Capitan Falcon!
Luigi
Jiggilypuff
Not Ness
Ganondorf
Marth

Maybe:
Mewtwo
Game & Watch
Falco (Wolf might get him but it's a slim chance.)

UtopiaXD

Smash Apprentice
Falco needs to go, unless they plan on changing him dramatically.

Dr.mario should be taken out but mario should take him on as an outfit. Dr.mario>Mario IMO.
Pichu, young link, marth, roy,game&watch you can expect to not be seen.
Mewtwo, Ganondorf,Luigi will most likely be redone and added to the brawl.
Ness is gone I think now and Jigglypuff is a big maybe.. I really don't know what will happen with her.

Im gona miss Dr.Mario I owned so many with him :[

greenblob

Smash Lord
Jiggly is obviously in.

Anyway, Young Link is interesting. I feel that Zelda should be represented by 3 characters, each representing a third of the Triforce. What are some arguments for/against YL?

Eldezar

Smash Apprentice
Jiggly is obviously in.

Anyway, Young Link is interesting. I feel that Zelda should be represented by 3 characters, each representing a third of the Triforce. What are some arguments for/against YL?
Against:

If you only want one rep for each piece of the triforce, then the obvious choices are Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. No more, no less.

He was a clone, so he is not coming back.

We don't need to characters who are the same person, despite being slightly different.

He isn't TP style.

He won't have any new moves. Sure the specials can be different, but what can they change in his standard moveset?

For:

If you want one rep for each triforce piece, why didn't they do that in melee?

He has two very likely themes to base off a new moveset, a WW style and a MM style. Both would work perfectly well.

They don't all have to be focused on TP. Look at the fairy for Link's taunt. When you see that, what comes to mind? Generic healing fairy or Navi? Personally, I will always think of Navi first.

A MM YLink can have up to four different fighting styles in one. A small, weak character with a lot of range bubbles and flying, an incredibly slow(except when rolling) character but super strong and heavy (big bombs too). A quick hand to hand fighter with a deflection ability and ok range(wow, Zora sounds a lot like fox) and finally an all around swordsman with shorter range and weaker attacks than Adult Link, and they can change some of the standard moves to luigify if they so choose . They can balance in a similar way to PokeTrainer, by basing certain moves on a magic meter, or they could decide to make the transformation time much longer than Zellda/Sheik transformation and make it so it can be cancelled if attacked. (possibly as long as it took if you didn't skip it in the actual game, complete with a few grunts followed by a loud scream.) And for Final Smash it would be Fierce Deity Link. This style of YLink would be no problem at all.

WW Link can have his up - B as the Deku Leaf, side - B the Skull Hammer, Standard - B can be Spin Attack and you can charge it into the Hurrican Spin, down - B can be bombs, or to be more original, be called Bag, where he randomly reaches into one of the bags and throws items at the opponents, each one having different effects. Could also change out any of these for say the tingle tuner or the magic shield. Boomerang and Bow and arrow are not included, because we don't want WW Link to be too similar to Link. His standard move style can reflect that of his fighting style in WW, such as his D - air being a swipe like when you berformed a counter attack rather than Sword Plant.

Not all of these are my arguments, I just posted what I hea the most. I personally see no reason why bot a MM and WW Link can't/won't be included other than just having too many Links, but if there are more than 40 characters, I have hopes for both of the above to be included.

I would like to point out something about Lucas, where many people think that because he has almost the same specials, that he has replaced Ness as a character, despite having a different standard moveset. Very different.

Then, I want to mention how many of those same people think that if you put in WW Link, giving him new specials based off of his WW items, but keeping his standard moves the same, though maybe a slightly different style to match WW, would make him a good character and not a clone to Link.

So, why is it that so many believe that if you have similar specials but different standard moves, makes you a clone, but the inverse, having similar standard moves but different specials means you are not a clone.

OhCripe119

Smash Apprentice
Originally Posted by Eldezar

So, why is it that so many believe that if you have similar specials but different standard moves, makes you a clone, but the inverse, having similar standard moves but different specials means you are not a clone.
Why do similar special moves make you clones but similar standard moves not? The answer is right in the names: Special and Standard.
Special moves should be exactly that. They should be what sets a character apart from the rest of the field.
Standard moves, again, exactly like they sound. Standard. Boring. Run-of-the-Mill. Every character can either punch, kick, slap, or swing an item (sword, hammer) at opponents. Just because Lucas has little psychic sparkles tacked on, all that is is added flair, and maybe a little more power. It's still essentially the same. Perhaps the Yoyo's gone.
However, only certain characters can throw fireballs, shoot missiles, reflect projectiles, freeze opponents, produce electricity, copy abilities, hide away in an egg.. I think we're beginning to see the point. If any two characters have the same four Special moves, they cease to be special. Three the same, and at times even two same special moves may be too much. Young Link, for example, is Link. I'm not sure how similar their standard moves are, because I never play YL and I rarely play Link, and I know some people say "Oh, they're different, because Young Link has better jumps, and is more agile" (or something, I don't know exactly the minute details). To me, though, they're the same except Young Link is shorter, and has a terribly annoying voice.
The only "Standard" moves that hold any interest are Smash Attacks. Those still should have as much originality as possible. I consider those Special moves that had to be placed on the Standard move button.
That's my take on things, anyway.

Indra777

Smash Rookie
Again, I'd say our best guess is that clones are gone. HOWEVER they will probably add alternate models/costumes for the removed characters.

Example, Roy as an alternate costume for Marth (that is, if he does return) or Ike.
Pichu - alt for Pikachu
Dr Mario - alt for Mario
etc etc.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
Why do similar special moves make you clones but similar standard moves not? The answer is right in the names: Special and Standard.
Special moves should be exactly that. They should be what sets a character apart from the rest of the field.
Standard moves, again, exactly like they sound. Standard. Boring. Run-of-the-Mill. Every character can either punch, kick, slap, or swing an item (sword, hammer) at opponents. Just because Lucas has little psychic sparkles tacked on, all that is is added flair, and maybe a little more power. It's still essentially the same. Perhaps the Yoyo's gone.
However, only certain characters can throw fireballs, shoot missiles, reflect projectiles, freeze opponents, produce electricity, copy abilities, hide away in an egg.. I think we're beginning to see the point. If any two characters have the same four Special moves, they cease to be special. Three the same, and at times even two same special moves may be too much. Young Link, for example, is Link. I'm not sure how similar their standard moves are, because I never play YL and I rarely play Link, and I know some people say "Oh, they're different, because Young Link has better jumps, and is more agile" (or something, I don't know exactly the minute details). To me, though, they're the same except Young Link is shorter, and has a terribly annoying voice.
The only "Standard" moves that hold any interest are Smash Attacks. Those still should have as much originality as possible. I consider those Special moves that had to be placed on the Standard move button.
That's my take on things, anyway.
I agree with you completely, well done for explaining it so well :)

Eldezar

Smash Apprentice
Ok, what about pokemon. All of their special moves that many pokemon can have the same move, despite being completely different. What's so special about Pikachu's Thunder being the most powerful electric move it can use when Voltorb can use it just as easily.

On another note, the names being given as just standard moves and special moves is vague. Although Fox's A A A combo is fairly basic, that he uses it is still a part of him. Few characters can attack in such rapid succession like that and with such precision. A special move may be something out of the ordinary, but they should by no means define a character. Snake being able to launch a missile straight into the air or bury a mine seems pretty unique to me.

The that any person fights is what sets the apart just as much as what special moves they can learn, because if anyone puts the effort into it, in most cases they can get a move just like anyone else. Any character could use a bow and arrow or throw a bomb, Link and Pit are just good at it, better than most. Some specials, yeah, they have to do with an innate or racial ability, such as breathing fire or or psychic attacks, but both Ness and Lucas have those abilities, and so do a dozen or so back in the Earthbound/Mother world. But even though they have similar moves, not only do they use them differently from eachother, they fight differently in general. You can win a match based solely off of your special moves. The standard moves, those boring, everyday punches and kicks, are a complete style in their own, making them just as important and self-defining as four measly specials.

Then is goes to numbers. Four moves defining a person, or 16 moves (including grabs). Yes, four moves stand out more, that is one reason why there are only four, But most of the standard moves and combos also represent the character in so many ways. Link's down - air and up - air, they were extremely special moves in AoL, which without using them just as much as the magical abilities, you could not have completed the game.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Nothing wrong with Jiggs. She beats every other Pokemon anyway.

Anyway, I'm not liking Young Link at the moment. Although a speedy swordsman would be nice, I think having just one character represent Link is ideal.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I seriously laugh everytime someone says that Falco WON'T be in Brawl. He's just as likely to return as much as Luigi and Ganondorf. There is no reason whatsoever why he shouldn't return. All he needs is a revamped moveset and then he's good to go. People sometimes say that Krystal or maybe Wolf will take his place, well, whats wrong with having 4 StarFox representatives?Fox,Falco,Krystal,and Wolf should be the 4 StarFox people in Brawl.

Top Bottom