• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Eldezar

Smash Apprentice
i thought falco would be in it but every one has been telling me otherwise
Well, your first problem is listening to everyone else. It's really hard to tell what is going to go on when not a single person on this site knows any official inside information, but since they believe it that means it is going to or not going to happen.

sk8erkid6485

Smash Cadet
I dont like her but i can almost bet she will be in. Too much of a pokemon icon and a strong fanbase.
I agree. So far she's been in every smash bros. She is a very popualr pokemon icon. And i also definately belive luigi will be in it considering that Peach and Bowser arent as well known as the him. Besides you cant have mario without luigi. And also I have a good feeling about Captain falcon. He's a very popular chracter.

Epsilon-Sigma

Smash Rookie
Well, my take is that probably everyone will return, but if any are cut, the list of most to least likely would probably go something like this (note that I think 3 and above have a significantly slimmer chance of being cut than 1 or 2):

1. Pichu, for being a worse clone of Pikachu, save for a few features Pikachu doesn't have
2. Dr. Mario, for essentially being Mario with minute changes
3. Young Link, for being a bit of a pointless charachter
4. Falco, for reasons similar to Dr. Mario's, although maybe not since he is a widely used charachter
5. Roy, for being a clone and an obscure charachter outside of Japan, although maybe not since he was a popular charachter

Dx-pyrohunter64

Smash Apprentice
ok, seriously, why is it that everytime there's a discussion dr.mario is always listed as someone who will NOT return? playing as doctor mario and mario feels completly different to me. I for one would be dissapointed if the doc does not return =(

Panik

Smash Journeyman
ok, seriously, why is it that everytime there's a discussion dr.mario is always listed as someone who will NOT return? playing as doctor mario and mario feels completly different to me. I for one would be dissapointed if the doc does not return =(
As a Dr. Mario main, I have to agree that he is very similar to Mario. On the otherhand, the best way to fix this dilemma for Brawl would be to combine the characters into Mario with the best moves from both. The next step would be to make Dr. Mario a costume for Mario. Problem solved.

Making an fire flower or fox (flying) mario alt costume would be tight too though.

Dx-pyrohunter64

Smash Apprentice
As a Dr. Mario main, I have to agree that he is very similar to Mario. On the otherhand, the best way to fix this dilemma for Brawl would be to combine the characters into Mario with the best moves from both. The next step would be to make Dr. Mario a costume for Mario. Problem solved.

Making an fire flower or fox (flying) mario alt costume would be tight too though.
not a bad idea, though how would 2 people be able to play as dr. mario at the same time?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I don't think Young Link is pointless, simply because he's the true Link. Adult Link has only been in 1.5 Zelda games, the remaining titles belong to Young Link.

Though it seems pretty certain he won't return :cry: but I'll be happy with WW Link I guess, I've accepted Young Link's fate.

Ness however, I was not expecting to just up & leave like that.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, Fire Flower Mario is in Brawl as an alt colour. Problem is though, that's all we'll get. Personally I'm really pissed off, since Smash Bros is like, the only fighting series that still uses primarily alt. colours & JUST alt colours.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Here's how I feel about this.

First, I think Ness will return. He has a different intro and his moveset is different. Plus we have yet to see Lucas' Final Smash. His final smash could be different than Ness'. Plus you wouldn't remove Luigi now, would you? Also, Earthbound needs more characters.

All original Melee secret characters not in SSB need to return too. Say what you want about G&W, the world icon theory helps him. Plus he was very original. If it wasn't for the G&W series, Nintendo would be different today.

Out of the "clones"Ganondorf and Falco should return. Ganondorf's moveset should be based on TP moves and moves he should have had in Melee -OOT based. Falco can easily be Luigified. Also, they can give him a squadron of Arwings for a final smash since Fox has a landmaster.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I fear that things don't look good for Ness. Lucas appears to have replaced him. I'll miss the little dude if he doesn't come back. If he does, it means there will be clones, but clones with fairly significant differences.
I'm certain Luigi is coming back. Like someone just said, Mario without Luigi? No way. I'm interested though, since Mairo has F.L.U.D.D, what will Luigi have?
Falco was my main back in SSBM, so I'd love to see him return, but I doubt that he will. For all intents and purposes, he was VERY similar to Fox. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not optimistic. (Doesn't matter, MK will replace him as my main regardless ;))
Ganondorf was a very popular character, and he is very well known. I think he'll make an appearance. But personally, I wasn't too wild about him being a Cptn. Falcon clone. The moveset didn't fit the Great King of Evil to well at all. I'd love to see him back, but with a brand new moveset.
Speaking of the Captain, I'm sure C. Falc will be coming back. He was too popular, and a fun character. I mean, c'mon, did you honestly ever get tired of "Show me your moves"?......Ok, maybe you did, but I still think he's returning. :)
My bro is a major Fire Emblem fan, he had mained Roy in Melee. He isn't to optimistic about the chances for Marth and Roy, as Ike seems to have taken both their places. He's fine with that, he likes Ike better anyways!
I think that Sheik will return as part of Zelda. Lots of people I know only used Sheik. Zelda is a good character on her own (the best Smasher I know personally uses Zelda, with very little Sheik, and he is DEADLY!), but I feel she needs the balance of Sheik. Even though she is in her Twilight Princess garb, I think Sheik will find his/her/its way into the game.
Pichu and Dr. Mario weren't very good clones in my opinion, and, as much as I love the LoZ series, I feel the same way about Young Link.
Jigglypuff.......I honestly don't know what I think. She was popular eough, and original, so I think there is a fair chance. But if any SSB64 character is getting cut, I think it's her.
Finally, though I was never a huge fan of him, I think Game and Watch will return as well. He has a rather enormous fanbase, too many would be disappointed to see him axed.
Sorry for such a long post guys!!!

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
falcon should return, even though Geno is gonna own him in the Eliminator contest, and Ganon should return with a new moveset at least thats wat i want

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
I think most people want Dr. Mario out because technically he's the same character as Mario. Just dressed up as a doctor. And with pills. With the exception of Y. Link, all of the other clones were entirely different characters. Naturally, that would put them closest to the cutting block. Except Y. Link sort of gets excemption from this principle since the Link in Brawl appears to be TP Link, rather than OoT Link, which are sepparate characters. At least continuity-wise.

I don't think Young Link is pointless, simply because he's the true Link. Adult Link has only been in 1.5 Zelda games, the remaining titles belong to Young Link.

Though it seems pretty certain he won't return :cry: but I'll be happy with WW Link I guess, I've accepted Young Link's fate.

Ness however, I was not expecting to just up & leave like that.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, Fire Flower Mario is in Brawl as an alt colour. Problem is though, that's all we'll get. Personally I'm really pissed off, since Smash Bros is like, the only fighting series that still uses primarily alt. colours & JUST alt colours.
Wait, what? Young Link is the true Link? How can that be, when every other game is a different Link? Y. Link only appeared in two games (or 1.5 if you're counting OoT as half a game), just like almost every other Link.
However, if you're getting at his average age, then I suppose you can lump in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. But then you have to acknowledge OoT, Twilight Princess, and Adventure of Link having an older Link (which it looks like you did). And the fact that the boxart for Link to the Past and Link's Awakening clearly portray him as an older teen (not to mention his appearance at the end of LA). And as I recall he was fourteen in the Oracle Series. And I've never heard of an age that was given for the original Legend of Zelda, but considering it's the same Link as AoL, one would think he wasn't a whole lot younger. So, all things considered, the average would probably be somewhere in the range of 14 (versus Y.Link's 10 and A.Link's 17), closer to the middle than either young or 'adult' Link.

My point is that both are valid interpretations of the character, and I agree that Y. Link is not pointless, but I disagree that A. Link is inferior or less genuinely Link. However, practically speaking, I think most people (or at least myself) who don't really want Y. Link in, feel so because they would rather have a different, less green-wearing, sword-carrying character instead of another Link. However, because of his popularity, I suspect you are right about us seeing a Wind Waker Link in Brawl.

WingedKnight, I'm not sure if your point about Luigi's counterpart to Mario's F.L.U.D.D has been brought up before or not, but it's a good observation. I've been wondering if we might see the Poutergeist 300 as Luigi's down + B.

Dx-pyrohunter64

Smash Apprentice
I think most people want Dr. Mario out because technically he's the same character as Mario. Just dressed up as a doctor. And with pills.

A valid reason, though I guess I could be content with Mario as long as his "fireballs" get somewhat the same trajectory style as the pills...and if mario was given a black costume, kinda like an evil mario character, not to be confused with wario lol (however evil or not he may be XD)

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Well, my take is that probably everyone will return, but if any are cut, the list of most to least likely would probably go something like this (note that I think 3 and above have a significantly slimmer chance of being cut than 1 or 2):

1. Dr. Mario, for essentially being Mario with minute changes
2. Pichu, for being a worse clone of Pikachu save for a few features Pikachu doesn't have in the wrong hands, plus there are far more deserving pokemon since pokemon generations 3 and 4 were released
3. Roy, for being a clone and an obscure charachter outside of Japan, although maybe not since he was a semi-popular character in the Fire Emblem series, not to mention that there are many FE lords that are more popular than him at this point, one of which already holds a position in Brawl
4. Young Link, for being a bit of a pointless charachter a good thought, but not properly executed. different weapons, altered standard moveset, and a new cel-shaded look can easily fix this
5. Falco, for reasons similar to Dr. Mario's, although maybe not since he is a widely used charachter and a staple to the Starfox series, not to mention a (Starfox) fan favorite. can easily be given a new moveset all around
Fixed much? I think so.

Well, from Gimpyfish's impressions on Mario, I'd say you got your wish. Mario has a LOT of pros in comparison to his cons this time around. I hear he's insanely stronger, and can combo very smoothly and easily.

I think most people want Dr. Mario out because technically he's the same character as Mario. Just dressed up as a doctor. And with pills. With the exception of Y. Link, all of the other clones were entirely different characters. Naturally, that would put them closest to the cutting block. Except Y. Link sort of gets excemption from this principle since the Link in Brawl appears to be TP Link, rather than OoT Link, which are sepparate characters. At least continuity-wise.
QFT. Great job as always, rAt.

Wait, what? Young Link is the true Link? How can that be, when every other game is a different Link? Y. Link only appeared in two games (or 1.5 if you're counting OoT as half a game)
WHA--!? :mad:

!!!{SMACK}!!!

HOW DARE YOU CALL OoT "HALF A GAME"! GREATEST F**KING ZELDA, N64, AND ADVENTURE/PLATFORM/RP GAME OF ALL TIME!

No, I'm just kidding. I know what you were talking about. I just love that game so much, I need to defend it where necessary (or, in this case, unnecessary).

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
Fixed much? I think so.
In this case, no, as you just edited what was his opinion to what you think. Although I see what you're getting at. There's no denying that Pichu was completely rubbish, there are no 'right hands' for him.

I think the main reason I'm not that comfortable with there being a Young Link in addition to Link, apart from them being the same person, is that Link is portrayed as a representative of all the Links from all the Zelda games (there are at least eight spread across fourteen games, if you didn't know). The fact that they're mostly different ages (10ish in LoZ, 15 in ALttP, 10 and 17 in OoT, 12 in WW, 16 in TP) makes having a separate character to represent a different aged Link seem a little pointless.

I don't really support a cel-shaded Link being included in Brawl as well as the Link we already have for this reason, and I don't think the art style is enough to warrant his inclusion. There have been many different art styles across the games, and although the cel-shaded look is more drastically different to the others and has been used the most times, I still don't think it's enough.

The rAt

Smash Ace
QFT. Great job as always, rAt.
Compliments are always appreciated, Dyce.

WHA--!? :mad:

!!!{SMACK}!!!

HOW DARE YOU CALL OoT "HALF A GAME"! GREATEST F**KING ZELDA, N64, AND ADVENTURE/PLATFORM/RP GAME OF ALL TIME!

No, I'm just kidding. I know what you were talking about. I just love that game so much, I need to defend it where necessary (or, in this case, unnecessary).
Ha, I don't know what came over me.

Also, have you been hitting the Red Bull again? :psycho:

In this case, no, as you just edited what was his opinion to what you think. Although I see what you're getting at. There's no denying that Pichu was completely rubbish, there are no 'right hands' for him.

I think the main reason I'm not that comfortable with there being a Young Link in addition to Link, apart from them being the same person, is that Link is portrayed as a representative of all the Links from all the Zelda games (there are at least eight spread across fourteen games, if you didn't know). The fact that they're mostly different ages (10ish in LoZ, 15 in ALttP, 10 and 17 in OoT, 12 in WW, 16 in TP) makes having a separate character to represent a different aged Link seem a little pointless.

I don't really support a cel-shaded Link being included in Brawl as well as the Link we already have for this reason, and I don't think the art style is enough to warrant his inclusion. There have been many different art styles across the games, and although the cel-shaded look is more drastically different to the others and has been used the most times, I still don't think it's enough.
No, Dyce is ALWAYS right. It's just that sometimes reality is wrong. :p

Well put regarding Link. I've actually used some of the same points. Recently.

I disagree with you on Pichu, though. There are "right hands" for him. The cold, hard grip of death. Or at least an unrelenting coma.

Dr. Mario! PLEASE COME HOME!

Ill be saying "I Told yYou So!" On every thread on this **** site when Brawl comes out!
HE WILL BE BACK!
You know it doesn't exactly inspire confidence when you grovel before issuing bold statements. Or make the Caps button your *****.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.

You know it doesn't exactly inspire confidence when you grovel before issuing bold statements. Or make the Caps button your *****.

Ya know, you really need to get off your high horse and take the stick out of your *** before you quote a post where you think your more mature.

Man, oh man. Why do people think their so cool when they try to make some1 look foolish who was just trying to express fun. Lol.

The rAt

Smash Ace
Ya know, you really need to get off your high horse and take the stick out of your *** before you quote a post where you think your more mature.

Man, oh man. Why do people think their so cool when they try to make some1 look foolish who was just trying to express fun. Lol.
Did I, in any way call into question your maturity? Did I claim at any point that I was 'so cool'? Did I at any point claim to be in any way better than you? And just to be clear, those were are all rhetorical questions to which the answer is a resounding 'No'.

You know, for someone who sounds very offended at how I view you and your intentions, you're giving me surprisingly little credit regarding me and mine. I was being sarcastic, not trying to make you look foolish. If you read the rest of my post, you'll see that it's all rather tongue-in-cheek, so by the end, I'd assumed people got the idea. It sounds as though you misinterpreted me, which happens often enough in a forum. But in the future please refrain from using that as cause to make assumptions about me or attack me personally, especially when you're critiquing me for supposedly doing the same.

I was going to try and tie this back in to the topic at hand, but I'm still stuck on Pichu in an extended coma. Mmm... comatose Pichu...

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
if pichu returns he might be a costume btw is wolf a fox costume?? someone said it to me but im not shure

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
As an alternate color, yes.

But there is still hope for completely alternate skins.
Hope. Maybe, nobody at E for All has Alt Skins. But Maybe the delay will help in our favor.

Pichu Out!

"Th-those... I’ve seen those before somewhere..."

Taken, Pikachu now wears Pichu's Blue Goggles!

They brought back a piece of Pichu, but not that character himself, just like they brought back Ness' moves but not Ness himself.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Yeh, apparently Wolf isn't a costume anymore. And I guess the goggles prove that Pichu is out. I think alternate skins would make sense. Since Dark Link is basically a different skin. Red eyes and all. If they do something stupid like making Ness a skin then they should change the name as well. It would just be kinda stupid to be playing as a different character yet having a name of another character. :0

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
...Why do I even hope for a new Veteran update anymore? Awesome FS though.
I have a feeling that they might not show anymore than this. The ones shown may actually be the starters. The rest of the vets will probably be secret characters. Well, ****, they would HAVE to be secret characters. It ain't Smash Bros without Captain Falcon and the....rest. xD But I'm kinda glad they stopped showing characters since I don't want them showing ALL the characters and ruining the whole game. :)

Chepe

Smash Lord
I think only one more character profile will come out before release, and it would be a newcomer, to have a nice fit of 3 rows for veterans and newcomers..

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
I think it would be kinda hilarious (and awesome) if after you've unlocked all the characters you could see on the character select screen, that all of the sudden you see an arrow pointing to the right and it leads to another whole new page of characters to unlock. That would be sweet. xD

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
I think it would be kinda hilarious (and awesome) if after you've unlocked all the characters you could see on the character select screen, that all of the sudden you see an arrow pointing to the right and it leads to another whole new page of characters to unlock. That would be sweet. xD
That would kinda suck too, cause your mind thinks that your done but then that happens and your thinking, "G*D **** IT!!!!" any ways they will probably fit everyone one on one screen

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
That would kinda suck too, cause your mind thinks that your done but then that happens and your thinking, "G*D **** IT!!!!" any ways they will probably fit everyone one on one screen
Nothing makes me happier than thinking that I've already completed most of a game, only to find out abruptly soon that I'm only about half way done.

Happened to me while playing TLoZ:TP, and I couldn't have been happier.

spindash

Smash Ace
- Mewtwo
- Falco
- Captain Falcon (he's in, duh!)
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Luigi
- Marth
- Roy
- Ness
- Jigglypuff
- Ganondorf
- Sheik
- Young Link (in the Cel-Shaded form?)

I hope I didn't miss anyone else asides Pichu and Dr. Mario :p

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Nothing makes me happier than thinking that I've already completed most of a game, only to find out abruptly soon that I'm only about half way done.

Happened to me while playing TLoZ:TP, and I couldn't have been happier.

lol Yes, exactly.

I mean, it COULD work. (maybe) Since you know how when you choose your character it shows who you chose on your box below and when you've done that then you should be set and you can change the color and stuff in your own little box while everyone else chooses their characters by flipping through the selection of characters at the top part of the screen. The only problem would be other friends being annoying and stupid and keep switching the screens, leaving the others not able to pick the character that they wanted. xD

The rAt

Smash Ace
lol Yes, exactly.

I mean, it COULD work. (maybe) Since you know how when you choose your character it shows who you chose on your box below and when you've done that then you should be set and you can change the color and stuff in your own little box while everyone else chooses their characters by flipping through the selection of characters at the top part of the screen. The only problem would be other friends being annoying and stupid and keep switching the screens, leaving the others not able to pick the character that they wanted. xD
That's why Player 1 used to be the only one who could certain things. Which sucked when Player 1 was a jack***.

Am I the only one who likes finding out there's more to do? I mean, usually I burn through games pretty fast, so I'm almost always happy to find out there is more to it than I thought. Unless it's a crappy game, in which case, I just stop playing it.

My only frustration with a second full screen of characters would be that I'd never get around to using them all, which is why I'm actually hoping the final roster isn't ridiculously huge.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
That's why Player 1 used to be the only one who could certain things. Which sucked when Player 1 was a jack***.

Am I the only one who likes finding out there's more to do? I mean, usually I burn through games pretty fast, so I'm almost always happy to find out there is more to it than I thought. Unless it's a crappy game, in which case, I just stop playing it.

My only frustration with a second full screen of characters would be that I'd never get around to using them all, which is why I'm actually hoping the final roster isn't ridiculously huge.
1. Yes, I also enjoy never-ending games like Final Fantasy or Soul Calibur 3 with all the secrets and unlockables. Read my last post.

2. C'mon, rAt. NEVER get around to using them all? Do you know how long we're going to be occupied with this game? It's going to be YEARS until the next one comes out. Plus, considering you're a part of this site, you're probably a Smash-fanatic-nutcase just like the rest of us. You're going to be spending your days religiously in front of your television, Wii hooked up to the AV cables, controller in hand, red-eyed from the lack of sleep, and keeping a case of Red Bulls at the ready (just incase you feel yourself nodding off). You'll get around to playing every character, regardless of how huge the roster is.

EDIT:
3. Yes, I also hate douchebags with ultimate control of the games I want to play.
Also, I just noticed this weekend from watching my 5 year old cousin that I cannot watch somebody play Smash horrendously without wanting to strangle that person and consequently dying a little inside. Does that make me a bad person?

Top Bottom