• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
from the screeshot it seems it weill go straight upward and then come straight down (kinda like Kirby's upB), and sakurai did mention he would be invincible(rather resistant) for a moment after throwing his sword, so i guess that can play a factor in his recovery

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
X-x-Dyce-x-X said:
Do you think you'll be able to alter the direction of which way Ike throws his sword during Aether? Or do you think it will just be straight up and down? Hopefully, it's the prior or Ike's recovery is going to suck big time.
I thought that too when I first saw it. Since he's throwing a sword, he should (theoretically) have a much higher degree of control over where it ends up, unlike Kirby's Final Cutter or Samus's Screw Attack.

If he could throw it at like, a 45 degree angle...then...then we'd have something.

OmegaXXII

^ if you are saying like having control of where you land on up on the air? ifit turns out that way then it should really be interesting

Dynamism

Smash Lord
well thanks for giving me a better understanding of the term "Luigified" , I didn't even know "Luigification" was a word lol.., but on topic I would want Falco to be Luigified in seeing he was like fox in melee but instead of hos handgun lazer he could have the Bazooka instead wouldn't you agree?
Yes, that would be of best intrest...

Do you think you'll be able to alter the direction of which way Ike throws his sword during Aether? Or do you think it will just be straight up and down? Hopefully, it's the prior or Ike's recovery is going to suck big time.
This is my theory...it is unique DI
- He controls the way he throws his sword but it doesn't so much control him to follow it. He'll press forward and the sword goes out further for more range of the attack but he doesn't go as high. If he holds back, it'll be near him and he'll go higher. I'll draw a picture...using /\}{)(- and stuff. (Im lazy)

Sword.......DI'd Forward.......Him........DI'd Back
_______________________________()
______________________________(.)
_____________________________(...)
.....................()_____________(....)
...................(...)____________(.....)
.................(......)___________(......)
...............(.........)__________(.......)
..............(...........)_________(........)
..............(............)_________(.......)
...............(............)_________(......)
.................(...........)_________(.....)
....................(.........)_________(....)
........................(.....)__________(..)
..........*.................()_____*_____()
* is landing point forward motion!
The down slope would involve normal DIness
He won't make more than one spin on the way up and he catches his sword above his head, no backswing, he just cuts down when it's caught.

from the screeshot it seems it weill go straight upward and then come straight down (kinda like Kirby's upB), and sakurai did mention he would be invincible(rather resistant) for a moment after throwing his sword, so i guess that can play a factor in his recovery
I love the imobilization idea, more DYNAMICS to the game...lol

I thought that too when I first saw it. Since he's throwing a sword, he should (theoretically) have a much higher degree of control over where it ends up, unlike Kirby's Final Cutter or Samus's Screw Attack.

If he could throw it at like, a 45 degree angle...then...then we'd have something.
45 is a little much!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
This is my theory...it is unique DI
- He controls the way he throws his sword but it doesn't so much control him to follow it. He'll press forward and the sword goes out further for more range of the attack but he doesn't go as high. If he holds back, it'll be near him and he'll go higher. I'll draw a picture...using /\}{)(- and stuff. (Im lazy)

Sword.......DI'd Forward.......Him........DI'd Back
_______________________________()
______________________________(.)
_____________________________(...)
.....................()_____________(....)
...................(...)____________(.....)
.................(......)___________(......)
...............(.........)__________(.......)
..............(...........)_________(........)
..............(............)_________(.......)
...............(............)_________(......)
.................(...........)_________(.....)
....................(.........)_________(....)
........................(.....)__________(..)
..........*.................()_____*_____()
* is landing point forward motion!
The down slope would involve normal DIness
He won't make more than one spin on the way up and he catches his sword above his head, no backswing, he just cuts down when it's caught.

45 is a little much!
Exactly what I was thinking. Nice diagram by the way. And even though 45* is a bit much, it sounds like a pretty good recovery tool. The sword could travel the same distance but not at the same angle, and depending on how far out you threw it depends on how high or low you get. A 90* angle resulting in the maximum apex of jump altitude. But... looking at your diagram it seems that the sword kind of comes backward towards Ike? Maybe it was just a weird way that you drew it but I think the sword will keep steady forward motion and Ike will be the one angling.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Exactly what I was thinking. Nice diagram by the way. And even though 45* is a bit much, it sounds like a pretty good recovery tool. The sword could travel the same distance but not at the same angle, and depending on how far out you threw it depends on how high or low you get. A 90* angle resulting in the maximum apex of jump altitude. But... looking at your diagram it seems that the sword kind of comes backward towards Ike? Maybe it was just a weird way that you drew it but I think the sword will keep steady forward motion and Ike will be the one angling.
I actually want the sword to go straight, then near the trail end, it tilts towards Ike and he catches it when it's over his head facing behind him so he's ready to swing. It's tough to draw using ( and crap that took a long time!

He should toss it fast too, quick release and maybe (I would think) multi-hits on the way up then one big one down.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
Before I conk out for the night, some late musing.

Casual updates won't be much assurance over the 'Ten on the Fence' I mentioned. The only ones that aren't hidden characters, are the ones that got a bit of discussion, the Ice Climbers. Considering we have two-three already confirmed characters from screenshots they could cop out with, it'll be a long while for a confirmation if there is one.

It's up for debate is if Marth becomes a regular roster character if he returns. Jiggs and Luigi are legacy hidden characters, but things could still change.

The clones...Up for grabs and debate as usual. Falco, Ganon and Y-Link probable for Luigification. Doc and Roy are out, Doc wasn't worth it and Ike has canceled out Roy's niche entirely. Pichu may have an in, may be out, the comments on Sakurai liking him got me wondering. Then you have the other two originals, Mewtwo who could be remade into a powerhouse, and Game and Watch who's...just...Game and Watch.

Two almost in-the-bag cuts, Marth and Jiggs might be a shoe-in with Luigi, then the six up for being remade or cut.

With IC being the only non-hiddens if they don't promote Marth/Jiggs, 14 weeks left, that could leave...a maximum of eleven-ten (Dang that Snake...probably hidden) characters we haven't seen before. Take a couple away being realistic and assume they don't splurge before the release date, but with that maximum we're getting thirty characters off the bat. Six-seven guessed hiddens right off, throw in the ones they're surprising us with, it's very likely they're going into the forty character mark.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
Before I conk out for the night, some late musing.

Casual updates won't be much assurance over the 'Ten on the Fence' I mentioned. The only ones that aren't hidden characters, are the ones that got a bit of discussion, the Ice Climbers. Considering we have two-three already confirmed characters from screenshots they could cop out with, it'll be a long while for a confirmation if there is one.

It's up for debate is if Marth becomes a regular roster character if he returns. Jiggs and Luigi are legacy hidden characters, but things could still change.

The clones...Up for grabs and debate as usual. Falco, Ganon and Y-Link probable for Luigification. Doc and Roy are out, Doc wasn't worth it and Ike has canceled out Roy's niche entirely. Pichu may have an in, may be out, the comments on Sakurai liking him got me wondering. Then you have the other two originals, Mewtwo who could be remade into a powerhouse, and Game and Watch who's...just...Game and Watch.

Two almost in-the-bag cuts, Marth and Jiggs might be a shoe-in with Luigi, then the six up for being remade or cut.

With IC being the only non-hiddens if they don't promote Marth/Jiggs, 14 weeks left, that could leave...a maximum of eleven-ten (Dang that Snake...probably hidden) characters we haven't seen before. Take a couple away being realistic and assume they don't splurge before the release date, but with that maximum we're getting thirty characters off the bat. Six-seven guessed hiddens right off, throw in the ones they're surprising us with, it's very likely they're going into the forty character mark.
good friggin post, i really agree with that. i forgot about sakurai saying he likes pichu, would be interesting if he made it in the next game.

man i just hope there are atleast 50 characters, but even if not this game will still rule.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
48 is what I "hope"
It's a good number of characters and a multiple of 8 so it would line up well for some truely "who's the best char" tourneys ect... And it makes a nice 8 by 6 block as a char selc screne.
Ness, IC's, Peach and Falcon will be starters...Jiggs, Luigi, Marth, Ganon, Mewtwo, Falco and Young Link (completely new really) will be unlockables with G&W possible but I don't know and won't include him until I unlock him. No to the other vets.
This will take 21 slots. 14 starters like melee, possibly Lucas instead and Ness unlockable (just to stress out Ness fans lol, but doubt that)
I'm guessing 24 starters so 10 new comers. 5 are filled and that leaves 5.

My guesses as new comer starters:
- Krystal: Fox needs some sweet starter lovin' and she's foxy.
- C.Olimar: You start with the heaviest so you should start with the lightest.
- Little Mac: Bringing him back, old school.
- Meta Knight: AKA the God of Smash lol jk...seriously though.
- Smashkid: An animal crossing character, custom your own and load it with the NAME function!

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Alright, alright, alright...

This be a Mr. Game & Watch rant. You might remember that "How This Game Came to be Made" thingy on the old Dojo site where Mr. Sakurai says, something along the lines of, "Above all else this game is a tribute to the fans and the developers." Now, I'm sure you've all heard of the late Gunpei Yokoi who programmed Donkey Kong, created the Game Boy, Virtual Boy, and the Wonderswan, and acted as producer for the Metroid and Fire Emblem series as well as others. He also created the Game & Watch which sold 43 million units and lead into Nintendo entering the arcade and video game business.

Anyway, after his death, he became a sort of icon of gaming, having created the Game & Watch, Game Boy, and playing an integral part in the making of Donkey Kong, all of which were huge steps for Nintendo's success. So, because of all of this, I think Mr. Game & Watch was and still will be a sort-of standing tribute to this man that should continue to be in SSB.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
I'd figure most of the clones are out.

Roy doesn't have a prayer with Ike taking the fire attack and Dr. Mario... well lets just say as much as I like to play as him I couldn't stand it if he got into Brawl rather than a far more worthy character.

I wouldn't count on Pichu or that will be 5 Pokemon characters (because Mewtwo and JP will come back before Pichu will) and 8 because Trainer can use 3 different ones.

Ganondorf is the most likely clone to survive and get a new move set.

Then the tricky part... Falco and Young Link. I'd say Young Link has the edge and Falco will probably be demoted to AT while Krystal and/or Wolf join the Fox series portion of the roster. Young Link has a ton of possibilities including being Wind Waker style or at least using Wind Waker weapons. So I'd love to keep Falco but I can't see them choosing Falco over Young Link if it came to that.

Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch should have equal chances but everything I hear from rumor to fact makes it less likely the Climbers will return. Which really bums me out but "we'll always have Melee" my ****** friends.

If they don't have more than one Mother rep then Ness might be out in favor of Lucas. Though I'm pretty sure Lucas will play almost exactly like Ness which is kind of stupid but oh well.

I'm still on the side lines on Shiek but the Game Informer article mentioning the Zelda game director said he worked on designs for Ganondorf and Shiek for Brawl is certainly enough to say despite Zelda not being her OoT version that Shiek may still be playable.

I have no doubts Marth, Captain Falcon, MewTwo and Luigi will be returning. Jigglypuff might get cut to keep the Pokemon roster down to 3-4 rather than 5 or more but I'm a bit on the fense on that one as well.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
Was too tired to factor in Falcon and Ness last night, wasn't all there. Looking at things now, it's very, very likely to break forty. Expect a good third of the characters to be hidden, as usual.

Taktikz

Smash Cadet
Ness is definitely coming back (in case u havent seen the franklin badge with "MOTHER" written on it) Roy and Marth are most likely coming back due to Ike's entry. Dr. Mario NEEDS to come back or ima be heated...Ganon and Sheik are confirmed, Wolf needs to be in it cuz he's a beast and... Young Link, Game & Watch and Ice Climbers arent expected to return

Taktikz

Smash Cadet
nah most of what i said i read bout, except for my personal opinions on Wolf Dr. Mario and Game And Watch...Wind Waker Link was rumored to be in not Young Link. and why have Ike without Roy/Marth? thats like have Super Mario Brothers with Toad but no Mario or Luigi...

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
all the characters should be in it just for the hell of it
I like the way you think. I agree with this guy. All characters from Melee FTW! (but I suppose I wouldn't be that sad if Doc left, he seemed like a waste of space)

Ness is definitely coming back (in case u havent seen the franklin badge with "MOTHER" written on it) Roy and Marth are most likely coming back due to Ike's entry. Dr. Mario NEEDS to come back or ima be heated...Ganon and Sheik are confirmed, Wolf needs to be in it cuz he's a beast and... Young Link, Game & Watch and Ice Climbers arent expected to return
Wow, you are wrong in so many places! Let's start from sentence one:

1) I looked it up when the badge was updated. The Franklin Badge has appeared in EVERY Mother game, and considering Ness was only in 1/3 of the Mother series that doesn't necessarily confirm him more than it does Ninten or Lucas.

2) Marth will make the return, Roy probably won't. Roy was filler and an advertisement. He was basically only thrown in there last-minute to promote the upcoming FE game. (FE7 in Japan) Besides that, Ike is strong and uses an explosive charge attack. Roy was the only one of the two who actually had that move. (Marth could only charge and swing... no boom.)

3) Well, you're not wrong to want Doc back... but just don't get your hopes up. He's probably the first to go due to his minimal differences from the original Mario.

4) Ganondorf and Sheik are SEMI-confirmed. They said in that interview that the Zelda team had drawn what the character models would look like to fit into the Brawl scheme and only handed them in to Sakurai. They never officially said they were going to use them. But I think we can all agree that Ganondorf will make the cut regardless. He's too important to the series to be excluded.

5) Wolf does need to be confirmed. But I'm seeing him probably as a secret character so we won't get him until later.

6) Who says that none of them are expected to return? If you're talking about what was written in that 1Up article about Ridley and Cel-Shaded Link then you couldn't be more duped. It was a hoax that has long since been disproven. And as for MrG&W, I think he has a very good chance of returning. He's original, the very first Nintendo character, and a brilliant addition. Also, there was everything that Devastlian said too. And ICs... yea I think they're gone too. They seemed too glitchy to fix by any mere mortal developer. However, my word is as good as yours. They could be in, they could not, we won't know until the end.

Taktikz

Smash Cadet
i kinda worked out the kinks with my 1st post on my 2nd one anyways, i doubt they'd throw any1 from mother without having ness in it. kinda like what i said bout the roy/marth/ike thing...roy shouldnt leave tho, he was a beast. it would be nice to have every1 return but then there might be TOO many characters. G&W most likely is comin back due to what Devastlian posted. IC's...nope... Young Link...i dunno if he should be in (prolly cuz i dont use him at all, i'd pick Link over him anyday). D.M. has to come back, he's basically Mario's version of Ganon (u kno C.Falcon/Ganon)

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
^^^^
First off there can never be TOO MANY Smash characters. Lol.

Second, Doc should be considered "Mario's Ganon", but he just isn't that different from the original. He was only slightly slower, only slightly stronger, only slightly heavier, and only slightly less slippery. The only real difference was that his recovery sucked in comparison.

Taktikz

Smash Cadet
nah dr. mario had magnet hands, i'd recover on the stage from like 10 ft away. but Doc's cape wasnt as good as Mario's...if it was, it wouldnt be fair

Taktikz

Smash Cadet
Luigi has to come back...and if he does, Waluigi should come too...Wario/Waluigi vs. Mario/Luigi

Luigi/C. Falcon were my characters on SSB so yeah, I did like Luigi better than Mario in the first one. but they didnt make him better on Melee. Dr. Mario stole Luigi's spot in my eyes

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
All these people talking about Doc not coming back is really burning me up. Probably because I main as Doc though...
And Taktikz, your right about those magnet hands. Heh, what the hell was the deal with those things?

Eevee4ssbb

Smash Journeyman
i hope sheik and zelda are seperte charcters

I hope the clones get new moves like ganondorf neds new moves

Buh bye to falco roy pichu(waste of a charcter) and Dr.mario

I hope to see all the ppl return except ice climbers and ness

:p i like eevee

Anklez15

Smash Apprentice
i feel that we know that sheik is going to be in it cuz of zelda but some characters i dont want back are pichu mewtwo ylink doctor mario they all just seem like people wouldnt mind if they were gone. i have to say that ice climbers deserve to come back

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
well agreeing with x-x-dyce-x-x there can not be too many characters, but clones should... obviously not be in the game(i know they won't, but still)

as for IC's why not have them, they are way fun

pichu hurts himself because he is a baby and can't control his power. and for anyone who thinks pichu is a waste of space, you obviously haven't fought a really good pichu, hes fast, small, hard to combo, good recovery and a good edge guard projectile.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
Sick as a dog, stuck inside on a beautiful day, more musing to keep sane.

The big clones, Falco and Ganon, are another argument point. Ganon might come back with a sword, or a more spell-based moveset more fitting for him. The problem with that is that the Ganon lovers have only used him as a beefy Falcon clone, and every strategy and style has been based off that. Giving him a sword moveset like he was originally supposed to have, we have a more Zelda-like Ganon, but it abandons all existing Ganon players for accuracy.

It's like liking John Wayne movies. They're inaccurate, uneducated, racially biased and ignorant, but they were still dang good movies. Eastwood's true-life, educated flicks are more accurate and how things really should be portrayed...But it's not John Wayne.

My most common playing partner who I've played with since the N64 days is a born-again player because he switched to Falco. I'm a Fox player, so our matches take on that tourney flavor. If they brought back Falco as a reworked character...He'd either have to switch to Fox and adjust, or get used to the new moveset.

I'm also rather curious about the visual changes they'll be making. Ganon had WW and TP to be updated with, Falco now has no less than three game appearances for costume updates, they could also use Starfox Assault for moves and weapons.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
bad clone and extra characters go out and make room for more!,
1.Cpt.Falcon (we got snake screw this guy)
2.Ness(annoying and resembles a chinese kid trying to talk english)
3.Young Link(seriously a bad character! Wind waker link is much more better)
4.Dr.Mario(its just mario but a big excuse for the theme music
5.Ganondorf(sucks and a waste of unlocking)
6.Ice climbers(have the most annoying stage)
7.Marth(Ike is enough)
8.Roy(but he has that move that owns in cruel mode)
9.sheik(she sucks)

THESE CHARACTERS GOTA GO!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
NO. Captain Falcon is important!

Wow, that is the most logical reasoning in the world to take a character out.

Um... no. Ganondorf is incredibly important to the Zelda series. If anything he should get a new look and a new moveset.

Of course they do, but that's no reason to take the character out. Besides there's a new stage that works exactly like it coming into this game if you haven't realized.

7.Marth(Ike is enough)
This just doesn't make any sense to me. Take out Roy, but Marth needs to stay.

9.sheik(she sucks)
Wow, that is even more logical then the reasoning to take out Ness. Congratulations you have outwitted me. [/sarcasm]

I'm also supposing you want Pichu to stay in the game since you didn't list him? >_<

OmegaXXII

7.Marth(Ike is enough)
9.sheik(she sucks)

I have to disagree with you on...

1.Cpt Falcon- he should definetly return, having two bounty hunters facing of will be twice as fun as opposed to only having Snake.

2.Ness- I'll agree with on this, unless of course they give him a new moveset and Sakurai decided to get rid of that yo-yo.

3.Young Link - he should return but as WWLink

4.Dr.Mario - I'll agree with you on this one, but it would be nice if they gave regular Mario this as an alternate costume

5.Ganondorf - You are so WRONG, I strongly disagree with you, he can be modified with his own moveset, and they could give him his sword, and he was not a waste of time, I think he was worth unlocking since he had the most powerful smashes in Melee.

6.Ice Climbers - I strongly agree with you, they SHOULD go.

7.Marth - I'm not sure whether he should come back or not since he kinda looks similar to Ike

8.Roy - Kinda disagree with you because his moves PWN'd!! since they where more powerful especially his upB

9.Sheik - Definetly has to go

..and btw you forgot to put pichu which also needs to REALLY go.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
7.Marth(Ike is enough)
9.sheik(she sucks)

ok i know that everyone already quoted and set this post straight

so i thank you because this is just silly, i mean losing characters b/c their stage is gay, or because captain falcon is gay... right

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
FreakyVoiceDude said:
The big clones, Falco and Ganon, are another argument point. Ganon might come back with a sword, or a more spell-based moveset more fitting for him. The problem with that is that the Ganon lovers have only used him as a beefy Falcon clone, and every strategy and style has been based off that. Giving him a sword moveset like he was originally supposed to have, we have a more Zelda-like Ganon, but it abandons all existing Ganon players for accuracy.

It's like liking John Wayne movies. They're inaccurate, uneducated, racially biased and ignorant, but they were still dang good movies. Eastwood's true-life, educated flicks are more accurate and how things really should be portrayed...But it's not John Wayne.
Nice analogy there.

But regardless of what franchise fans are used to, Ganon really does need to be remade. Falco's fine as he is (a little tweaking here and there, maybe), since it makes sense for him to fight similarly to Fox. But Ganon isn't from the same series as C. Falcon, he's not as (or at least, shouldn't be) physicaly fit, and in every Zelda game he appears in, he fights with a weapon of some sort.

If one space animal moves like another, that's fine. But a dark wizard moving like a racecar driver...not so much.

Ganon needs a new moveset, and hey; we'll get used to it. If you decide not to play as him anymore, you were probably never a fan in the first place, and shold just go practice with C. Falcon.

I'm also rather curious about the visual changes they'll be making. Ganon had WW and TP to be updated with, Falco now has no less than three game appearances for costume updates, they could also use Starfox Assault for moves and weapons.
WindWaker Ganon is, was, and always shall be the coolest incarnation of the character...but I'm fooling myself if I think he'll be the design we end up playing with.

He'll probably end up looking like he does in TP.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
7.Marth(Ike is enough)
9.sheik(she sucks)

Lol, I had to laugh at this post. Not to be rude, but don't be silly. You want Falcon, Ness, Ganon and Ice Climbers out, but YET you didn't mention Pichu? And you want Sheik out because she sucks ... riiiiight. This post fails xD Roy, Doc and Young Link might go actually, they are in quite some danger.

Top Bottom