• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Blues7

Smash Cadet
I would prefer all characters to be in except Doctor Mario. Other clone characters had something to them that made them different from the others. For example, Ganondorf had more power and was slower than Captain Falcon. When it came to Dr. Mario, there was no difference I could see between Dr. Mario and regular Mario except for very minor things.

Also, clone characters need more of a difference amongst their movesets.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
I been playing Pikmin, and I completed it (the game is sick). Anyway I was just thinking, Pikmin should be a playable character, why not?
Pikmin FTW.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Chiyo, your either A) lost - 2) Just tired - or D) Plain Stupid. Have you not been on these boards for all the Olimar discussion. A Pikmin will most likely be one of his moves and a bunch of them for an Assist Trophie.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
all i know is that the dojo didn't release a character this last week, and i think that is lame, who thinks it'll be atleast another month or two before they announce A single new character that isn't old, or already been announced?

but yeah there should def be some rediculous assist trophies

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
well i stand corrected on when another character would be announced.

but i said that a pokemon trainer would be too wicked, awesome update, three characters in one... we thought that having shiek and zelda in one was weird, i guess 64 all characters were one, in melee there were two, in brawl there is a character that is... three, strangezilla!

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
COME ONE! COME ALL! COME SEE THE AMAZING WAAAAAAALLLL OOOOOOOF TEEEEEEEXXXXXT!

Between icon introductions, developer leaks and this one character a week streak that held strong until last week, fifteen of the Melee twenty five have been given a strong enough nod to end discussion. The remaining ten are a mix of 'No clones, no way', 'If they improve them', and 'Like anyone ever played those games'. I'm excluding Sheik partially because she's a half-character, partially because of that leak that may have confirmed her coming back, just leaving her out to avoid more pondering and arguments about tourneys.

Doctor Mario-Pure, exact clone...Change the model, few pill bouncing animations and a keyboard tap, this guy was just a nostalgia trip to fill in that space next to Mario on the select screen. Minor following, but this guy being the deformed clone makes him being in the medical field sad irony.

Falco-Besides Ganon, this guy may be one of the most popular and suitably one of the more original clones with a few of his own moves and a vastly different play style than the move donor. The fans love him, the tourneys love him, a lot of former Fox players and aerial fighters love him. Tweaking may be necessary for originality, but some like him just the way he is.

Young Link-Was surprised when I unlocked him, yet another space filler with albeit some more thought put into it. Different projectles and attack details, but otherwise they just shrunk Link and called it a character. OOT fans loved it, but even just looking at them on the select screen he's slapped on. Why not add on Link with pink hair, Link in N64 graphics, Link in Wind Waker pajamas and Link holding a Cuckoo. I know Zelda needed some coverage, they were strapped for time, but I'd rather not see him again unless they try giving him a different style of fighting and a different game look. This is where people bring in Cel-Shaded Link, but the fact is I just don't know what they would call him. Just try and imaging the announcer saying 'Cel Link' or something, it's too weird and awkward to put into motion.

Pichu-The fastest, lightest little guy around...Who hurts himself with his electric attacks. Consistent with the Poke-Nuts, the powered up thunder attacks are worth the sacrifice with good timing, but for anything more than casual play and simple dares he's not designed to be taken seriously. I actually like the character model they used and the concept, but more in a cute puppy in a petshop way. If they make it more of a joke character than a pet project it may make it back in. Still don't expect anyone to play him.

Jigglypuff-The original hidden character. Female Kirby with the big punch and the sleep attacks and the fabled one-hit KO you can never use right. Surprised to find a few competent players using her for her odder but relatively solid style. Two games with her as the first hidden character is a strong tradition, she can be buffed into a rather solid character with a little work. She'll never be the tournament choice, but she's unique enough to mix things up. Not counting my character before they're confirmed, but I'd be surprised if she's not in.

Ice Climbers-Nintendo definitely had fun with the Gamecube's launch, these guys had enough exposure to help start their re-relases of the old games via e-cards, GBA cartridges and even Animal Crossing. With practice they have potential, the two-character interface showed off the engine quite a bit, but in practice they just weren't good enough without using the beloved/behated advanced techniques. Months into the updates, these guys are a gaping hole in the middle of the roster, possibly of no return with not so much as a stage or item hint. If they're gone, we can always look back at them as their stage as the prototype for the modern scrolling stage and the dual-character format if it returns.

Mewtwo-Completely original, new, fan-approved...But that's about all he has going for him. The wild psychic techniques and admittedly cool looking animations and moveset doesn't compensate for the fact he Pichu can send him flying with a head-butt. His techs can be used very craftily...If you can pull them off fast enough to even use them. His character design makes him a featherweight, his style makes him majestically slow...He's screwed. Great job on the creative moves and character model, but he's nothing but a flawed skeleton of what could come back as a power-hitter with brains. He's the fixer-upper with great potential.

Marth-The completely original, new, unknown secret character that took off where Mewtwo couldn't even get the engine started. Beautiful mix of speed and power, brought up a whole new style of weapon use in the game Link never pulled off, his range and versatility combined with classical styling and obscure fanbase made him the oddball champ the locals never brag about. Ike's being introduced as a power-character has me thinking he'll be the perfect counter to Marth's speed, it's possible Marth players will be split between speed and the Brawl-born power characters, both sharing the sword-loving play style that embodies their series.

Roy-Marth with a dye job and a 'Please buy this game' sign on his back. His lowered range, speed and mobility is as sensible as a bird in cement shoes. One of the most unpopular clones to play with because of the flawed style, fans hated the game he was plugging, there's no way he's coming back with Ike doing power the right way.

Game and Watch-Nintendo just having fun and honoring their heritage. The ultimate goofball character with no rhyme or reason, just because they could. Moves all over the place, unusual graphics, stage feared for its randomness and simplicity, this is Nintendo just having fun with a finished game and making the last character a bit of a gag. Returning or not, I consider him and Pichu the comedic Smashers that just make you smile or cringe depending on your tastes. Is he coming back? We didn't know he was coming in the first place, not much better a question.

Now for those waiting for me to mess up...Where's Luigi?
You cannot tell me Luigi is not coming back along with Mario and the rest of the Mario Herd that occupied the first fourth of the Melee roster. We know Mario is in it...Luigi won't be far behind no matter what they do to him since the last game.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff not tournament-worthy? She's above 16 characters on the [wiki]tier list[/wiki]. And her [wiki]wall of pain[/wiki] beats your wall of text any day. And in Smash 64, she was at the top of mid tier. Jigglypuff's never been the best character, but has always been one of the better ones.

I'd say everyone but the clones (excluding Ganondorf and probably Falco) and perhaps Sheik will make it back. But many of the clones brought in different playing styles--even Dr. Mario, who, once you see past the cosmetic similarities between him and Mario, had a slightly different method of playing--different combos, different methods of KOing, different edgegame, etc. And some non-clone characters had very similar playing styles (with one character becoming somewhat obsolete due to the other having a better version of that tactic), namely Jigglypuff's wall of pain vs. Kirby's fence of pain.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
gonna have to agrgre with greenblob about jiggy, jiggy is rediculously good in 64, and really good in melee, actually ranked 2 in teams and how high is 2 compared to mewtwo in teams???

^^but what you said is alot true, except for one thing. seeing young link didn't make OOT fans happy, it made any zelda fan who thinks that OOT is one of the most overrated games ever happy. ie me.

for those fans who have played through all of them up till OOT and never got around to it because of the hype and the countless arguements as to links real age or looks it is very frustrating. especially since link is only 17 in one game, and it just came out last winter/fall'ish, not sure when TP came out. just cause in OOT link is a ten year old... then he travels into the future and now...

he is a ten year old in a 17 year old body. sorry to rip this apart, when i saw young link i thought of zelda II, THE ADVENTURE OF LINK, especially since the temple resembled closely to this game and the music. i never once thougth that Y.Link would make any OOT player happy. again sorry for ripping it apart it is just one of my pet peeves

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
No offense taken, anything to make intellectual headway. Rather pleased with the input, I'm an admitted newb and not defensive about it.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Good on ya Freaky...lol that's sounds funny...

IC's weren't given enough credit for what they did with melee. That definately has to be acknowledged more often. They were the most inovative and opened this Smash Bros world up WIDE to new possiblities. They deserve a spot in something they were such a big part in "maturing"...if that's the right word.
Mewtwo will totally be re-made! I'm thinking Lucas with "replace" (not the right word) Mewtwo, more like "take his MS"
In Mother, Lucas had, hypnosis, teleport and confusion (actually called Brainshock) so he'd be a perfect fit and we can duke out Pshycic Kids lol
Young Link I think will return as Young Link. Just re-made again...hammer, deku nut or whatever. He's Freakin LINK!!! There are ENDLESS possibilities really...

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
yup that name is with me cuz i main ic's.............................aaaaaaaaannnnd itss pretty much of a Batman and Robin rip off lolol :laugh:.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Everyone wants this to be the best SSB so far right?

Soo...they should bring back every character.

( & every stage from both SSB64 & SSBM ) That way everyone on the planet is happy.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
Everyone wants this to be the best SSB so far right?

Soo...they should bring back every character.

( & every stage from both SSB64 & SSBM ) That way everyone on the planet is happy.
but... we know, for a fact that everyone isn't returning, but i will have to agree with you for the most part, there are some levels i don't really care about and some clones i don't really care about.

but for sure this will be the best smash game period. there is too much already that is gonna be sick, single player, multiplayer, characters, items, final smashs', assist trophies, stages...etc

i just hope they bring some more 64 stages back. atleast pokemon stadium is coming back, even if the terrains are different, stadium rules!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Luigi will return, only this time his taunt will have 1HKO capabilities...
...ok, maybe it won't, but that would be perfect for removing him from Mario's shadow.

But I do feel Luigi and the original 12 will be returning.

Captain Falcon will return because he's the main character of his series, a popular/original character from a popular/original series, and they wouldn't possilbly have thrown Samurai Goroh as the only rep for the series. Kind of a no brainer.
...series series series series...

Luigi will return because he and Mario go everywhere together. He is just as important to the game itself as he is to the title! Super Smash Bros and you're not going to put a pair of brothers in? Pfeh... hypocrits.

Jigglypuff will return because she's one of the more popular Pokemon in the world. She's an original character and she's popularly used in Smash as well in the casual scene and the tournament scene alike. No doubt she'll make the return.

Ness... here's the only one I have slight doubt for. He was here from the beginning, and even though he sucked donkey balls in the second installment, he's still popular and original. HOWEVER, Sakurai had said he wished to replace Ness with Lucas in Melee, but never got around to it because not many Americans knew of Mother3 at the time, but now that we know much about it and word has travelled about Lucas in Smash with positive reviews, I wouldn't be shocked to see a Ness gone and Lucas in. Though I don't see how Sakurai couldn't fit both in at this point.

Basically DFV hit the nail on the head, I just wanted to throw my 2cents in for the characters I'm sure of.

And I'm also sure Ganondorf will make the cut, but I don't feel like explaining it right now. Frankly, he's too important to the series to not be in Brawl.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
I don't think anyone should worry about characters that are not clones beeing cut from the game. Even Ness, I don't really know who Lucas is, but I don't see them taking Ness out for Lucas, but put him in as well as Ness.

Lok

Smash Cadet
Actually, Ness would then become a clone of Lucas (or vice versa) and personally, I'd rather play as Lucas, which will promote Mother 3 and soon after will be seeing it on our shores (hopefully).

FoxFtw

Smash Apprentice
I think most of them should stay but in my opinion pichu,G&W,Doc,YL,iceclimbers,ness, and roy should go..

oh and i know this doesnt regard the thread and im srry to post it but what does the color of your name mean for instance Mcfoxs name is red and ive seen green and purple

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
^^^^
...Basically...
Click the "Premium" icon at the top of the page. The one with the coin... you'll see all you can do with a Premium Membership.

So now that Charizard is out on the playing field as a character, who's going to spit fire at us from a Pokeball?
I'm hoping that the new fire pokemon will be Nine tails.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Typhlosion has the body type to be standing there blowing fire left and right. Personally, I would have much rather had one of the Fire/Fighting Pokemon as playable (Blaziken or Infernape). I don't know which one would be better though. Blaziken would fit better as a fighter, but Infernape is straight up better in the Pokemon games by comparison.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Lucas has different moves than Ness, so I don't see how one can be the clone of another.

Sanjuinuthus

Smash Apprentice
No one should leave, the most that should happen is that clone should get new mov sets. That way no (SSBM) fans get left out.
Sakurai (or someone else, I'm not entirely sure) stated that not all characters from SSBM are returning. The most likely to leave (in order of likeliness)

1. Doc. Mario
2. Pichu
3. Young Link
4. Roy
5. Mr. Game & Watch
6. Falco
7. Ice Climbers
8. Ness

Everyone else has a very high chance of returning.

Tau

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai (or someone else, I'm not entirely sure) stated that not all characters from SSBM are returning. The most likely to leave (in order of likeliness)

1. Doc. Mario
2. Pichu
3. Young Link
4. Roy
5. Mr. Game & Watch
6. Falco
7. Ice Climbers
8. Ness
i think that falco and ness will be in. and maybe dr.mario.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
i'm not sure how this whole ness not returnig thing got started but i have to throw in my 2 cents about it as well.

ness will return because of a couple main things.
1) Main character of Mother 1/2
2) Very popular 64 character
3) Was in 64 and in melee
4) Sakurai said that no more ***. exclusive characters, cause there was a chance that marth and roy weren't going to make the american melee cut, how much would that blow. and until mother 3 comes stateside like full blown... lucas probably will not replace ness, even if lucas was supposed to replace ness in melee.

dude, and ness is too cool anyway, they just need to beef him up a little again because they toned him way to far down from 64, same thing with DK and kirby they got the axe to alot of their good stuff, they'll have better experience with it. they are a better company than the last group that made smash(sakurai said it in an interview when explaining who the new team was that was given to him for a dev. team)

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Doc and Pichu are OUT!
No question there...Doc probly good as altern costume for Mario
Falco is in
Ness should return with an addition of Lucas...It's an odd situation with those two. Ness's SSBM MS is what Lucas should do...Ness has completely different moves in the series! Probably more like Mewtwo's SSBM MS but of course better...Also oppening Mewtwo for something better fit for him.
Roy is probably out with Ike in place
G&W is probably out with Wario's framing and Link's Dair doing what his Dair did...But he has an alright chance of returning compared to Roy. 50/50-ish for G&W.
IC's should be in for all that they brought to this game. They deserve a spot in Brawl and more credit for how much they've opened up the game to new chars.
Young Link I think will return with an altered MS. Luigified if you like to call it, but he's LINK!!! He has endless possibilities...hammer, deku nut, CSLink possibly fused in with the grapple ect...And my main reason for thinking this...Link's Dair was a huge part of his character in ssb64/m...Now he doesn't have the "bounce"...This indicates to me that they'll give the bounce to a YLink because it would fit better and Link can now have his "ture" final blow.

Lok

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't get my hopes up. If he DOES get in, though, he might get a "Luigified" MS, or become an allternate costume to Fox. Or just become a sticker.

Top Bottom