• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Actually, there are a lot of characters in the dangerzone or whatever you wanna call it... I'm not even counting Dr.Mario and Pichu anymore, both where already pretty much killed off when Sakurai stated that there will be character cuts. My list of characters in the dangerzone is:

1. Roy
2. Sheik
3. Young Link
4. Mr. Game & Watch
5. Ice Climbers
6. Ness
7. Marth
8. Jigglpuff
9. Falco
10. Mewtwo

Thus so far, the only characters who I think are completely safe are the confirmed-yet-without-update-yet-Peach, the semi-confirmed C.Falcon and Ganondorf. All other characters easly could be replaced, and some of them already may have. Examples:

Zero Suit Samus = Sheik
Ike = Roy + Marth
Pokémon Trainer = Jigglypuff?
Wario = Mr.Game & Watch

And here we have other very possible characters that could easly replace current characters:

Wolf O'Donnel = Falco
Lucas = Ness
King DeDeDe = Ice Climbers
Lucario = Mewtwo
Cel Shaded Link = Young Link

IF this where to happen, I would personally like it... Only having objections against Lucario replacing Mewtwo, and a slight objection against Wolf O'Donnel. Now, I don't quite expect this to happen, but it is a possibility that new characters will be based of older ones.

You can all agree with me that King DeDeDe, Wario and Ike are more wanted/populair than the Ice Climbers, Mr.Game & Watch, Marth and Roy ... not counting obvious Melee populairity here cause after all... Those charatcers become part of the playable roster and in about a month or 6 noone would compare Ike with Marth or Roy anymore.

Anyways... That's my conclusion.

Lok

Smash Cadet
AT least he'll still be in the game in some way. Y. Link is gone(being turned into WW Link, NOT CELL-SHADE, DIDDY!).

Larry Koopa

Smash Cadet
Unoffical but yet 2 be true

list of not returning characters:

Dr.Mario
Falco
Pichu
Marth
Young Link
Purin
Mr.Game&Watch
Gandorf
Ness

i for got the rest but thanx for lissening

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Mewtwo being removed is a laughable thought. He was the most wanted Pokemon for Melee and is pretty much Pokemon's villain, looking at Event 51 with Giga Bowser, Ganondorf and Mewtwo. I can't believe people still think he will be removed. XD

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Ness wasn't the main character in Mother, only Earthbound. The main character in Mother was named "Ninten". He looks very similar to Ness but they are, in fact, two different characters.

And Lucas was the main character in Mother 3, just incase anyone thought otherwise or just plain old didn't know.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I really want Pichu to stay in Brawl. I think he was an original enough "clone" to warrant his return. Also, he wouldn't be that hard to balance.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
aaa....wtf talkingbeatles?!?!?
Pichu could be balanced once his "format" and "style" are improved and altered for a Toad or Baby Mario or C.Olimar character...Maybe all three (cause they are all completely different from one another...)

@MasterGary: haha, Ness vs PT will sure look funny...at first

@Dyce: Ness and Lucas should both be in...Lucas should technically "replace" Ness because those are HIS moves...Ness has completely different PSI attacks...The bat and yoyo are Ness's though.

PSI Kid Battles For Brawl!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I really want Pichu to stay in Brawl. I think he was an original enough "clone" to warrant his return. Also, he wouldn't be that hard to balance.
as much as I don't wanna give you the bad news, i'll tell you... Pichu is not coming back, and seriously, are you joking about the part you said if he wasn't a clone

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Naw, I wasn't joking. His animations are all pretty much the same as Pika's, but damage, knockback, lag, and whatnot are all varying. Also, when he does his tilt down, he takes a nap. In the middle of battle!! How hardcore is that? Plus, in one of his costumes, he wears goggles. Keen!

OmegaXXII

oh boy, Pichu is a clone, just because he varied in stats and wasn't as balanced as pikachu doesn't mean he's much differnt than Pikachu and as for Pichu taking a nap, seriously that is not hardcore

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Plus, in one of his costumes, he wears goggles. Keen!
I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR SO LONG.

It's adorable!

I <3 you.

Sadly, I do consider Pichu a likely candidate for being cut. Not before Doctor Mario or Roy though.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
@Dyce: Ness and Lucas should both be in...Lucas should technically "replace" Ness because those are HIS moves...Ness has completely different PSI attacks...The bat and yoyo are Ness's though.
I did not know that, I've never played Earthbound. Well, technically, I guess I have played Earthbound, but I never got out of the first city. So I didn't get far enough to really learn anything about the game or the characters. And at this point, I would mind if Lucas took his moves back from Ness. Maybe if Lucas were to fill in Ness' shoes, and Ness was given a completely new moveset (Basic and Special attacks included) that worked around his own moves I would be satisfied. I'm just so used to Ness from strictly playing as him in SSB64 that I would be upset if they split a moveset halfway with eachother.

as much as I don't wanna give you the bad news, i'll tell you... Pichu is not coming back, and seriously, are you joking about the part you said if he wasn't a clone
Naw, I wasn't joking. His animations are all pretty much the same as Pika's, but damage, knockback, lag, and whatnot are all varying. Also, when he does his tilt down, he takes a nap. In the middle of battle!! How hardcore is that? Plus, in one of his costumes, he wears goggles. Keen!
Sadly, I do consider Pichu a likely candidate for being cut. Not before Doctor Mario or Roy though.
Actually, seeing how popular Pichu is as a Pokemon (fighting popularity excluded) I wouldn't be surprised if the little guy made a return. He is one of the least cloney clones.

I'd say that Doc is the most cloney;
Falco and Roy are the second most cloney;
Young Link and Pichu are just less cloney than that (though not by much);
And Ganondorf is the least cloney.

Personally, I can only clearly see Doc and Roy being gone (though maybe coming back as alternate skins) and Ganondorf definitely staying. It's questionable for Falco (even though I love him to death); I think the only thing really cementing him in is his popularity to Smash and the Starfox series, if he were any other Starfox character (Wolf excluded) I think he would have been given the boot immediately by Sakurai. And as for Young Link and Pichu, even though they are unpopular fighters, I feel they have fairly decent chances of staying due to their differences from their counterparts and popularity in their own series.

I would like to see all clones luigified, though. And I would love Young Link to become the Cel-Shaded version of himself.

OmegaXXII

Personally, I can only clearly see Doc and Roy being gone and Ganondorf staying. It's questionable for Falco (even though I love him to death). And as for Young Link and Pichu, even though they are unpopular fighters, I feel they have fairly decent chances of staying due to their differences from their counterparts.
It's safe to say that Ganondorf will probably return, I'm not to sure about Falco but has a chance, but as for YLink maybe he'll return, but not like he was in Melee that's for sure, more like WW Link might be seen instead

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
Doc, is out so we should NEVER mention that again...he just takes space

Roy is out almost certainly as well

Pichu, I can't see it but I would like his MS to (generally) proccess over to other characters that would be similer (Toad, Olimar, Baby Mario) who knows. He was a uniquely small and fast char.

Ganon is in and I'm sure Falco will be too. Why didn't they just put Wolf in melee instead in the first place?

I'm almost 100% possitive that YLink will be returning. I could explain but I have earlier in this thread
And I'm lazy lol

@Dyce: I've never played any Mother/Earthbound games but...somehow?
I donno, I just know what the deal is with those 2?
I must have checked out a Ness/Lucas thread a month ago?

Ness had PSI Rockin, Teleport, Brainshock, his best one was PSI Starstorm. (he still had flash too but not fire and I can't remember what the deal with thunder was.)
Lucas also had PSI Love, fire, flash and thunder. He had the Counter PSI Containment move too...maybe he could disable a SM for 5 seconds or something.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Ness had PSI Rockin, Teleport, Brainshock, his best one was PSI Starstorm. (he still had flash too but not fire and I can't remember what the deal with thunder was.)
Lucas also had PSI Love, fire, flash and thunder. He had the Counter PSI Containment move too...maybe he could disable a SM for 5 seconds or something.
I wonder what any of those Ness moves might do! That's kind of exciting: knowing that there are many other PSI moves with some pretty badass names that a Mother character could get a hold of. And I'm betting that if Ness remains the same, and that PSI Starstorm was his best move, that will probably be his FS.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
From my brief personal research (IE looking up the PSI lists on GameFAQs), PK Starstorm is Poo's attack, as is PK Brainshock. Ness has PK Rockin', PK Flash and various healing and shielding moves while all of the elemental ones belong to Paula (except a couple that Poo gets, too) and a couple other ones belong to Poo.

In Mother 3, Lucas is virtually identical to Ness (PK Love is the same thing as PK Rockin'), though he gets a couple new shielding moves. Also, all of Paula and Poo's moves go to Kumatora, who also gets a couple new ones, as well.

But...this doesn't really mean much since Ness used other people's moves in SSB and SSBM.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
From my brief personal research (IE looking up the PSI lists on GameFAQs), PK Starstorm is Poo's attack, as is PK Brainshock. Ness has PK Rockin', PK Flash and various healing and shielding moves while all of the elemental ones belong to Paula (except a couple that Poo gets, too) and a couple other ones belong to Poo.

In Mother 3, Lucas is virtually identical to Ness (PK Love is the same thing as PK Rockin'), though he gets a couple new shielding moves. Also, all of Paula and Poo's moves go to Kumatora, who also gets a couple new ones, as well.

But...this doesn't really mean much since Ness used other people's moves in SSB and SSBM.
Thanks for clearing that up.
They can give things like PSI Starstorm to Ness or Lucas though. Same with the other ones...Ness is a mix as it is. Who's Kumatora? If she's important enough, maybe an AT or even PC if she has completely different moves for Ness ect...nah!

Ness and Lucas FTW
PSI Kid Wars!

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
@ dynamism: all i have to say is that... they should just have both of them, change ness to give him the moves that belong to him, and lucas the same, but ness was in both already and there are some ness fanboys, especially those who are hxc 64 > melee don't just remove him, and hal did make mother and smash, so why not have more than one character from the games?

zelda has 5 friggin characters, pokemon 4, mario... a million

so why not both, but either way. no matter what happens, unless the stuff that is on the dojo is the only stuff in the game will i be upset about their decisions. they're good it'll rule, period

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Kumatora's one of the main characters in MOTHER 3. She joins you about midway through the game. Gameplay wise, she's essentially Paula and Poo put together since, like I said in my last post, she gets most of their PSI moves (she's the only other PSI user becides Lucas in the playable party) and primarily fights hand-to-hand.

Here's a thread on her (which contains slight spoilers in the beginning of the first post and may throughout the rest of the thread):

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=104745

She also appeared on Mr. Sakurai's "poll", though only once compared to Lucas and Claus' two times each. But...given the complete uncertainty as to what these appearances meant I don't know what this means for her chances. I'm pretty sure she's rather popular in Japan so I have a good feeling that she'll appear somehow in the game.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Kumatora's one of the main characters in MOTHER 3. She joins you about midway through the game. Gameplay wise, she's essentially Paula and Poo put together since, like I said in my last post, she gets most of their PSI moves (she's the only other PSI user becides Lucas in the playable party) and primarily fights hand-to-hand.

Here's a thread on her (which contains slight spoilers in the beginning of the first post and may throughout the rest of the thread):

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=104745

She also appeared on Mr. Sakurai's "poll", though only once compared to Lucas and Claus' two times each. But...given the complete uncertainty as to what these appearances meant I don't know what this means for her chances. I'm pretty sure she's rather popular in Japan so I have a good feeling that she'll appear somehow in the game.
Haha! I read the first paragraph of Kumatora's description in the thread: "A tomboyish princess raised by a tribe of effeminite men". That's clever as hell. Who woulda thought?

I like the idea of her though, plus, Sakurai had said he wanted (or needed) more girls in Smash. I think they could give Ness the best of the best moves that come from Earthbound, then give Kumatora the best of the moves she acquires in Mother3, then give Lucas the best of the best moves that Kumatora didn't have. Then add Claus and maybe Poo or Jeff or Paula, then we're all set on characters from the Mother series.

MACMO

Smash Cadet
LUIGI should be back but with diferent attacks. . .

Maybe with the poltergeist 3000 (Luigi´s Mansion)

With some thunder attacks instead of fire balls (Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga)

Or probably not Luigi but Mr L. (Super Paper Mario)

He can´t be always Mario´s semi-clon

OmegaXXII

But...given the complete uncertainty as to what these appearances meant I don't know what this means for her chances. I'm pretty sure she's rather popular in Japan so I have a good feeling that she'll appear somehow in the game.
I don't know if she'll be playable, but I can definetly see here coming as an AT, the reason I say this is because I can't figure out a moveset for her, but I'm sure Sakurai would be able to work with her in being she has PK powers as well, as for Ness, I really hope he gets his moveset redone, especially his smash attacks like his yo-yo which was really useless, as for Lucas, I believe he has a really good chance of making it to the roster, so in conclusion I believe Ness & Lucas will be playable, and Paula as an AT

OmegaXXII

Luigified characters would be alright I guess, but I definetly don't wanna see clones again, but i'm doubting whether Sakurai will include again or not

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Most people shouldn't be Luigified! Luigi is an exeption because he's simply...a Luigified Mario lol

YLink is LINK so he has ENDLESS possibilities and weapons for an entirely new MS. Falco and Ganon can easily be modified to be different and G&W wasn't even a clone and he'd be easy to bring back. The others can all be gone or alterns cause they really weren't "special". Most of the chars confirmed are of extreme variety so I'm pretty sure clones aren't even thought worthy anymore.

OmegaXXII

if indeed that were to be true, wouldn't you say character like Marth might be luigified somehow? after all ike's moves do somewhat look similar, but we probably won't be seeing direct clones like Doc, as for Falco he could have that bazooka & Ganon could have his sword so yea I agree with them being modified

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
^^^^
You wouldn't say that a basic character was luigified, only clones can be luigified. Basic characters change, clones become luigified. "Luigification" is changing a clone so they become less like the character that they're based off of. Link, for example, has changed very much from game to game but he has never been luigified.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Marth cannot be Luigified for he is not Luigi, jk
Seriously though,

Ike so far is NOTHING like Marth. You might as well compare Marth to Pit if he's considered "like Ike". Ike is a heavy weight, his UpB has more range, both in attack distance and height with an up then down knockback and "imobilization. Marth is mid weight and has a quick striking UpB that has a forward knockback. Marth may have a chargable close range B attack and just because Ike can charge a close range attack that happens to be B as well, doesn't mean they're even close to comparable in any other way. Close range attacks are all either of them CAN do and it's chargable, which a lot of B attacks are!!! They have yet to show Ike in battle clips or hint at Marth (which doesn't matter because he's probably melee-ish). Ike's ONLY TWO noted moves are NOT Luigified Marth moves and there is no sign that there will be any Luigified Marth moves. It's safe to say that they SHOULD have some similar attacks, possibly a smash where they both swing their swords...that would be weird though because every swordsman does that (Pit, Link, MK, YLink ect....) so I guess Ike is Luigified from them...so is Marth and Ike is Luigified double time for that because he's Luigified from a Luigified character!!!! I get it now!!!! (Which cancles out all Luigification necessity)

OmegaXXII

well thanks for giving me a better understanding of the term "Luigified" , I didn't even know "Luigification" was a word lol.., but on topic I would want Falco to be Luigified in seeing he was like fox in melee but instead of hos handgun lazer he could have the Bazooka instead wouldn't you agree?

Top Bottom