• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
BECAUSE OF THE SKILL THAT WAS PRESENT. If all of S, A, and B tier attended San Japan, it would probably count more than a HOBO regardless of size because S, A, and B are never at HOBO. San Japan is a harder tournament and your wins are rewarded accordingly.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
read razers post, san japan doesnt give much, only hobos and phases. l2read posts ozz. QUALIFIED tournies. lets say theres 20 texas tournies, PR Panel selects 10 that will be looked at. players the provide thier 5 best placings, and panel averages them out. w/e come out is your PR
Only hobos and phases? Looks like RGV would still be disadvantaged. Who you beat is always more accurate than where you place (could be easy brackets etc) for a PR.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Man your rakings are so different O_o

Anyway. good **** ozz with ninth.
That's the magic of the ELO system.
Everyone should be thanking Zac harder for his contribution (I think everyone not from RGV is doing so anyways).

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Then make it simply by who you beat. Who else is at the tourney has nothing to do with who you beat.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
In short, here is how it works.
  • The list is extremely dynamic based on recent tournament results. It tries to stay as up-to-date as possible. The list is updated after EVERY tournament (please email me TIO files).
  • Players are rated based on head-to-head battles for any given tournament. They are not based off of placings (1st, 2nd, 3rd), as this is not necessary.
  • Everyone starts at 1600 points. This is considered the average score.
  • You gain points for beating someone in tournament. If they have more points than you, you'll gain more points. If they have less points, you'll gain fewer points.
  • You lose points if you lose to someone in tournament. If they have more points than you, you'll lose fewer points. If they have less points, you'll lose more points.
  • Not going to a tournament means you will not gain or lose points, you'll stay the same. This explains why some inactive players (Melee1, PhoenixAlpha, etc) are still ranked decently high.
  • Only Brawl Singles are counted for ratings. Teams, Low-Tier, etc will not be counted.

List of Tournaments
  • 2009-12-05 Phase 4
  • 2009-12-12 Hobo 21
  • 2010-01-09 Final Smash 8
  • 2010-01-30 Phase 5
  • 2010-02-06 Hobo 22
  • 2010-02-20 Phase 6
  • 2010-02-27 Mizuumi-Con
  • 2010-03-06 Hobo 23
  • 2010-03-06 St. Phillips Tourney
  • 2010-03-18 Nikefest 1
  • 2010-03-27 Phase 7
  • 2010-04-03 Whobo 2
  • 2010-04-10 S.L.U.T. 1
  • 2010-05-01 Phase 8
  • 2010-05-08 Hobo 24
  • 2010-05-15 NikeFest 2
  • 2010-05-22 EX2
  • 2010-05-29 JUJment Day
  • 2010-06-05 MLG Columbus
  • 2010-06-05 Phase 9
  • 2010-06-12 Hobo 25
  • 2010-06-18 Omnicon Day 1
  • 2010-06-18 Omnicon Day 2
  • 2010-06-19 PikaNick
  • 2010-06-26 Phase 10
  • 2010-07-03 Hobo 26
  • 2010-07-07 P4 Pee Hole
  • 2010-07-16 Nikefest 2.1
  • 2010-07-17 P4 Pee Hole 2
  • 2010-07-17 Phase 11

Tournaments in bold were the included in todays update.

Reasons Your Rating is Wrong

(1) Your rating fluctuates a lot. (uses Magic the Gathering lingo)
Look at your rating over the course of the last year. Has it gone up and down a lot? If it has been steadily going in one direction, it probably means that your rating still hasn't caught up to your current level of skill. However, if it jumps up and down a lot, then your rating probably isn't a very good indicator of skill. Good players can do horribly in tournaments and bad players can win them. This will cause ratings to fluctuate. In higher K-value events, this phenomenon is even more pronounced. For example, I rarely play limited games, and my rating sat at 1625 for 1 whole year while I did not play a single limited match. Later, I played in a 16K tournament, and went 4-0 against 1900 rated players. So my rating went up about 50 points in a single day. Is it because I am really good and should be rated much higher? No - swings this large do not well represent my actual play still. In this case I happened to play against the 4 highly rated players at the tournament, while the rest of the players had similarly poor ratings as my own. Through their drafting mistakes, I somehow wound up with a ridiculous deck they crushed my more-talented opposition.

(2) The average skill of the players in your area can dramatically affect your rating. (uses Magic the Gathering lingo)
Consider the extreme example where all the players at your local tournaments have a 1600 rating, because they have just started playing live tournament magic. However, they are good at the game from playing Wifi, so their play skill is typical of an 1800 player. After this group of players has played against each other for a few dozen tournaments, their ratings would all still be at 1600, despite their skill level. Remember, your rating actually represents your win expectation relative to those around you, not necessarily to the entire magic community.
I wonder if you guys have the capability to view the first post. It answers all your questions. RGV tournaments not there cause Zac needs tio files.

so, theres no point in rgv tournies right? Its just beat shlike thing? LOL
Like razer said, shlikes the only one who does really good at hobos. I think magik does too. Also I remember back when vorguen was 15th on PR because he won a RGV tournament (he placed at hobos too, but that was the main thing). Who wins RGV tournaments nowadays? I'm sure its either Shlike or Magik, both are pretty high on the list and beat good people at hobos too. They got more points from doing well at hobos because hobos are where they beat more good players (Shlike beating PX, Magik beating Esca for example off the top of my head)

TheJerm

Smash Champion
It matters because of the level of the tournament. The more amount of good players at the tournament, the more serious everyone takes the tournament. Therefor, me two stocking gness at a houston tournament wouldnt be as serious of a match like me 3 stocking gness at a Regional tournament.

Broly

Smash Lord
My final thoughts on this-

UTD, its a great idea, and i know you worked hard. Its understandable how the system works, but i just disagree. RGV will always have to work that extra step because nobody from h-town, dallas, san antonio is willing to come to our tournies. there were several attempts asking gnes to come down with a carpool to brownsville or edinburgh. its the reason why we ***** so much because texas is so lazy that they dont think about how the poorest region makes it to hobos and even phase when houston or dallas cant do the same. its ridiculous to say the least. ive given up on trying to prove my worth to the brawl community.

Nike.

Smash Hero
RGV, I don't think you guys are looking at this the right way.

6. Espy - 1745.990
18. K-Prime - 1659.276
28. Morningstar - 1626.897
33. Santi - 1621.471
51. Suspect - 1603.419
Brax - 1596.263
Big Papi - 1594.924
Pyledriver - 1594.822
Nike 20 - 1593.069
Boss - 1591.444
Anti - 1590.863
Kyro - 1588.494
geoberos - 1588.467
Kdawg - 1588.345
Soul - 1585.158
Speed X - 1584.995
Zook - 1578.276
Paw - 1575.922
Tofer - 1574.203
GreyFox - 1568.717
JUJ - 1538.159
That was what San Antonio's results looked like when the Texas PR was first made. I saw some players I know I'm better than place higher than me. A few of them I beat multiple times in tourney, yet they somehow were higher. I raged, just like how RGV is right now.

However, I realized that four San Antonio tournies weren't submitted yet. I made sure over the following week that Zac got EVERY tio file or bracket from our tourneys, because I was NOT gonna accept being that low on the list. (Btw, we didn't submit San Japan. Only 6 players went besides con people, so it wouldn't affect this list at all.)

After all of our tournies were accounted, our points were much more evened out and accurate.

Espy - 1788.380
K Prime - 1686.225
Morningstar - 1637.462
Nike - 1636.282
Castro - 1629.786
Santi - 1622.765
PyleDriver - 1618.804
When all of our results were submitted, The points values were alot more accurate. I got placed around the are I thought I deserved. We have a few new players that can be thrown right in there, but atm they've only entered 2-3 tournies. They know how good they are, and they will get their chances to prove it and have their names rise from f-tier.

tl;dr I think your placings are due to not enough tournies being submitted. We have no idea if you've even held anything the past 7 months, outside Omnicon.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
ill head to head beat everyone on e, d, and c tier. trust me. if roy was low, xyro would complain all day and he'd get on list eventually. im not saying he doesnt deserve it, because he does. its recognition that should be looked at.i should not be recognized as a ****ty player just cos i go to 3 tournies and place in the middle everytime.

REI is my new best friend.
i doubt you can beat anyone in el paso

Reizilla

What Broly said. Different reason, but same thing. Nothing's gonna change until people from your cities start dropping off, which will probably never happen because of they way this list is made.

Reizilla

Arturito, RGV will crew battle you for all your money and take it happily.

-Ran

Smash Master
Alright, I don't think you guys fully understand how this works. The system is one that scales based off the amount of players, the skill of said players, and the amount of money/prizes to be earned at the event. This scale, is then applied to every match in the tournament, which will derive how many points you get per win/loss.

Everyone can agree that the most important component for Smash ranking is the relative skill of the opponents that are there. This has always been the case, even in non-formal settings where Power Rankings were reached by panels. Just because SuperBob won an anime convention's tournament with 100 people there, doesn't mean that he is a skilled player, when compared to the others in the state. Thus, the system first looks at skill, then the amount of players, and finally at the amount that is earned in the tournament.

The number that is then applied to the tournament is considered the K Value. This is the value that dictates the worth of every match in the tournament. Typical K-values range from 16 to 32. The larger the number, the bigger impact each match will have in someone's overall skill, but simply having two players with 1600 play each other, won't result in vast increases of skill level. In fact, the same people playing each other constantly will simply trade skill points. The best you can do for your community is to constantly recruit new players to provide new 1600 point pools to draw from. This system encourages bringing new players into your areas, much like ANY elo based system does. The only way to get point injections into your area is to have either players from out of your circle come to your tournament, or go to other cities. This system encourages players to go to events that aren't just in their city.

Due to this, there will inherently be more point potential at places such as Dallas and Houston since they are going to have players travel to their city, and will be able to have fresh faces at tournaments. However, everyone can agree that Houston/Dallas has better players pound for pound. Look at this as a challenge to make your scene better.

Now, something you aren't realizing about Elo is that it is actually an easy metric to dictate how well someone would perform against someone else. For example, Elo suggests that you would only have a 38% chance of beating Shlike, a 25% chance of beating Trela, and a 10% chance of beating Gnes. While for someone such as Dphat, he'd be given a 49% chance of winning against Trela, and a 26% chance against Gnes.

Interesting enough, most of these play out relatively well in real life.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
This seems a bit bottom heavy: More players under the average than above it.

There should maybe be point degradation to account for inactivity. One that scales with time passed so that missing 3 months straight loses more points than missing 2-3 weeks here and there that adds up to 3 months. Something like that. Would be tedious accounting for that, but could make it more accurate.

ruin`

Smash Journeyman
My final thoughts on this-

UTD, its a great idea, and i know you worked hard. Its understandable how the system works, but i just disagree. .
Apparently you don't understand or there would be no point to disagree.

RGV, in all actuallity, does not go the extra step cuz you guys play baddies at every local tournament. Sure, at RGV tournaments, every match in top 8 might be 50/50 cuz ya'lls top players represent, B-F tier player material in retrospect to other TEXAS smashers.

Right before a RGV tournament...You wake up in the morning knowing that your gonna play some1 on ur level or slightly worst; you're thinking "ok if I give my best shot. I'll play two 50/50 matches and I'm in winners finals. AT BEST, If two B & C tier players meet in bracket, i'll only have to play 1 player on my skill level for a 50/50 match to winners finals."

However, at HOBO and Phase. Here's my outlook at them. "oh god if the big 3 (S tier) come. I'm fighting among other S/A/B tier players for a shot at putting ONE of the S tier players in losers and THEN I gota beat an S tier player at a shot for winners finals. AT BEST, if somebody from A-B tier puts an S tier in losers, then I got a 50/50 at beating that A tier player and then about a ~25-30% chance at beating an S tier player in winners finals."

Nobody who attends Phase or HOBO is gonna want to travel to RGV and play players two and three tiers below them for their traveling expenses back. They learn nothing, hard waste of a weekend.

In addition, some of Houston's better players care about your effect on the brawl community. Otherwise they wouldn't waste their time responding to your ignorant posts. Don't tell them that your through with trying to "prove" anything. Cuz your not, all you've proven is that smashboards is an excellent time waster for handicapped individuals. +1 guinea pig.

Broly

Smash Lord
Apparently you don't understand or there would be no point to disagree.

RGV, in all actuallity, does not go the extra step cuz you guys play baddies at every local tournament. Sure, at RGV tournaments, every match in top 8 might be 50/50 cuz ya'lls top players represent, B-F tier player material in retrospect to other TEXAS smashers.

Right before a RGV tournament...You wake up in the morning knowing that your gonna play some1 on ur level or slightly worst; you're thinking "ok if I give my best shot. I'll play two 50/50 matches and I'm in winners finals. AT BEST, If two B & C tier players meet in bracket, i'll only have to play 1 player on my skill level for a 50/50 match to winners finals."

However, at HOBO and Phase. Here's my outlook at them. "oh god if the big 3 (S tier) come. I'm fighting among other S/A/B tier players for a shot at putting ONE of the S tier players in losers and THEN I gota beat an S tier player at a shot for winners finals. AT BEST, if somebody from A-B tier puts an S tier in losers, then I got a 50/50 at beating that A tier player and then about a ~25-30% chance at beating an S tier player in winners finals."

Nobody who attends Phase or HOBO is gonna want to travel to RGV and play players two and three tiers below them for their traveling expenses back. They learn nothing, hard waste of a weekend.

In addition, some of Houston's better players care about your effect on the brawl community. Otherwise they wouldn't waste their time responding to your ignorant posts. Don't tell them that your through with trying to "prove" anything. Cuz your not, all you've proven is that smashboards is an excellent time waster for handicapped individuals. +1 guinea pig.
haha, yea keep reading my ignorant posts scrub, stop trolling and get a life. if you're mad at what i post dont read. go outside for once and be good 4 something other than insulting over the internet. say it to my face instead of a screen idiot...

ahhhh, that felt good =]

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
If El Paso needs a substitute or wants someone to help with coaching (see - Infinity giving advise pls) in between rounds I'm game. At this point I just want the two guys from RGV in here ranting to shut up.

l2tio Broly and random guy I don't know.

Edit - Watch out Damien, Broly wants you to man up. Maybe he'll ask you to step outside?

Broly

Smash Lord
If El Paso needs a substitute or wants someone to help with coaching (see - Infinity giving advise pls) in between rounds I'm game. At this point I just want the two guys from RGV in here ranting to shut up.

l2tio Broly and random guy I don't know.

Edit - Watch out Damien, Broly wants you to man up. Maybe he'll ask you to step outside?
like i said haters gonna hate, grow up infinity, oh wait...too late right?

Dojo

Smash Champion
Lmao calm down Broly.

Seriously nobody in this state other than like 4-5 people have any national talent at this game anyways. So you make 5-10$ on the side from this game so what.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
lol yah rvg you guys are really annoying just so you know this system actually gives el paso a chance but with your pick certain tournies and average out there placings system it really ****s us over because sometimes we only get to go to one tourney a season.

You guys are always complaining about things that you don't have as bad as el paso, like your tournies are at least being counted ours never will because most of the things we can go to are in AZ or NM.

Broly

Smash Lord
since when was it bout money? im just talking prs and infinity and *** friend insults, you guys should calm down, its a kid game =D

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
lol yah rvg you guys are really annoying just so you know this system actually gives el paso a chance but with your pick certain tournies and average out there placings system it really ****s us over because sometimes we only get to go to one tourney a season.

You guys are always complaining about things that you don't have as bad as el paso, like your tournies are at least being counted ours never will because most of the things we can go to are in AZ or NM.
Please send me these tourneys. ALL tourneys work in my program. Just send me tio files, doesn't matter if they are out of state. If most of the players in OoS tourneys are actually from OoS, please list which players from that tourney are actually from TX. It will help me out.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
lol i can't get the tio file for devastation and the abq tourney this weekend was round robin with me beating duffman, tetsuya beating me, and duffman beating tetsuya, do you need anything else if so i can probably get the whole sheet of it.

idk if it should even count lol

Messatsu!

Smash Journeyman
lolz guys

Broly is raging and Rei-Gun has a slight point but quit feeding them. I 5-0d both of them at our last large tourney so stop feeding them.

I will host a large tournament this year and I expect people to come down for once. I promise the pot will be large enough since no one cares enough to drive down otherwise.

And Infinity, mm my wolf for $20. I already took a dump on dphats mk last time I was in Dallas so you should be easy. Beat melee1 with falco also. Rgv should just crew battle dallas after they eat SA for lunch.

All trolling aside, I think this is a pretty ****** way to do the PRs. It makes sense and works for everyone as long as they are more commited to playing than trolling. Hopefully I get to go upstate one of these days :)

Keep up the good work, Zac.

shlike

Smash Ace
broly, infi, d4ba stfu already.

infinity **** talking about crews and what not is all fine and dandy, but as soon as you started attacking broly as a person, I lost massive respect for you. Why is Dallas filled with so much hate lol

I wish everyone was as cool as esca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom