• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Tier List v8

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Aerial banana throws are a great approach
For example. Heck, Down Smash could probably even work as an approaching attack goven it's speed and power.

Anyways, Diddy is still a complete legit Top Tier character but nobody plays him.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Approaching doesn't "exist" in Smash like it does in other fighters.
While "2D" fighters are actually One point Three dimensions (sometimes 1.4; low, mid, high - sometimes super jump high), Smash is actually a proper 2D shindig. Approaching in this game is using your vastly superior freedom of movement (on average) to be evasive of your opponent until you're within your preferred 'neutral' zone.

What's that mean? Well... if Marth's fair was on a traditional fighter, it would be a pretty good approach, because all an enemy can do about it is block it or out prioritise it (it would be DPable if badly spaced...). In smash the enemy can completely change their position drastically (either up or down), spot dodge, roll, shield, power shield or throw out an attack that would beat it. I suppose that goes to show why Smash is a pretty campy/defensive game at it's core (incl. melee). So to me, Marth's fair isn't an approach in smash... its a "forcing a defensive option from your opponent if used correctly" whilst "being capable of beating some/their offensive retaliation".

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
WOOOOOOOOO IM 24!!!!!!!!!!

(what do people do when they're 24? pls advise)

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Why is Zelda so bad? I'm not arguing that she isn't - i've never played a competent Zelda so I have no idea - it's just that I have no idea about her as a character.

Could anyone give me like a quick run-down on Zelda as a whole?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Zelda has a lot of trouble approaching because all of her options are large commitments to make since they're so laggy and unsafe and whatnot

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Zelda has a lot of trouble approaching because all of her options are large commitments to make since they're so laggy and unsafe and whatnot
Can she safely play defensive and camp with din's fire? I know it's extremely easy to defend against if she's using it from neutral position, but doesn't it at least force an approach?

Can she safely play defensive and camp with din's fire? I know it's extremely easy to defend against if she's using it from neutral position, but doesn't it at least force an approach?
Din's fire is only safe at a distance. And I mean super far away distance. If you are like within two roll's distance between her you can shield drop the fire into dash grab/ dash attack Zelda before she can do anything because the move is so laggy. But, to me the stupidest thing is you can also just throw out an aerial and clank with it since it has a large hitbox. Say I am Sheik and offstage about to be hit by din's fire, I just throw out the aerial and din's fire clanks on Nair.

So, Zelda lacks a projectile to really do much. Its more of a nuisance than anything. Once you get close to her its far to risky for her to use it and it loses any sort of "forcing approach" power it had.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Jigglypuff can Pound through Din's Fire

brawl metagame 2014

Ghostbone

Smash Master
D3's big and easy to shield poke and can't SDI out of her smashes.

Plus you transform when he's in a vulnerable position off stage (D3's recovery takes ages), and then abuse your positional advantage.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
D3's big and easy to shield poke and can't SDI out of her smashes.

Plus you transform when he's in a vulnerable position off stage (D3's recovery takes ages), and then abuse your positional advantage.
Are you implying anything Sheik does has enough knockback to give Zelda enough time to transform and still be in a position to punish Dedede offstage? :p

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Are you implying anything Sheik does has enough knockback to give Zelda enough time to transform and still be in a position to punish Dedede offstage? :p
With D3 having the worst aerial mobility in the game, yea it's pretty likely that with a badly DI'd fair or smash or something, she'd have plenty of time to transform and punish him for trying to get back on stage.

Well I guess it depends on the wii's loading time:drshrug:

@False: Not sure what you are talking about o.0 6 frame dash attack. 5 frame dtilt. Frame 8 Usmash (OoS punisher). Frame 3 Dsmash. Frame 6 Nair. Frame 5 bair. Frame 7 Fair. A nice variety of quick attacks to pull out. They do not have the greatest properties and hitboxes in proper places, but she has her fast attacks.

@Paris: By the time you'll be getting a guaranteed KO with Zelda Sheik' will be doing enough knockback given the proper conditions to allow a safe switch. Maintaining the good position not so much. Mainly Sheik could pull out a jab -> grab or ftilt -> something to set-up for a proper knockback move, then dash away into transform. She'll give up the hit she got, but you do get the safe transform. To get more of what you are talking about DDD is pretty much close to death anyway from Sheik such as a Dsmash to set him offstage deep.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The problem isnt slow attacks, its slow mobility and cooldown up the ass on everything. Also her projectile gets beat out by anything with a hitbox then puts the enemy in a neutral state while shes still in cooldown. Also her recovery is SUPER easy to beat, she has no approach options, she cant play safe keepaway, the list goes on.

Tesh

Smash Hero
If you hit someone so far away that you can guarantee a safe transformation, 99% of the time its a better idea to start edgeguarding with sheik instead of letting them get back on stage for free so you can pray for a shield poke.

Top Bottom