• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Matchup Chart v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Bearly

10bears

Edit - On-topic: item play probably influences the MU values involving Diddy (and maybe Peach) greatly. I always find it hard to actually delegate a difficulty to fighting Diddy because how much of what we are seeing is due to the players' proficiency, or lack thereof, with items?

For example, Diddy:Lucario is supposed to be a +1 and I don't know how contested that value is, but watching John12346 vs NinjaLink in the LFs of Impact! really made it look like it could possibly be something closer to even with good item play, something that I personally know John prides himself in. Watching some really good DDDs (like Vex and 9B) fight against Diddy has given me the same outlook. Diddys are obviously supposed to be top-notch with their own items but how much are we factoring in how well his opponents can use his naners.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Neither NinjaLink nor John#s are top players (I would barely consider them high level...well maybe John#s idk I haven't seen him play in a while, but not NinjaLink) and thus they aren't really reliable players whose results you can use to determine what the MU ratio is.

Trela vs Gnes is ideal for that lol

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Diddys don't know how to use bananas. Most have no self control. Also, diddy will always be the best with bananas because of his backward glide toss and the fact that he controls when they come out

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Neither NinjaLink nor John#s are top players (I would barely consider them high level...well maybe John#s idk I haven't seen him play in a while, but not NinjaLink) and thus they aren't really reliable players whose results you can use to determine what the MU ratio is.

Trela vs Gnes is ideal for that lol
I was just making a point, tbh, not actually trying to prove a MU value. That MU could be +3 for all I care or know. I could go into my own experiences vs Nuke's Diddy to also prove my case, but I just thought I'd name some players that everyone knows.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Wolf vs Falco is definitely -2 and one of the main reasons why I stopped maining him. Falco gets a 50% stock lead every stock and if he lands a single hit, he could just sit back and wait for you to approach. If the Falco is smart, he won't try to force a kill which means you lose out on a lot of free damage. Falco can also just continue to wait til the kill just comes to him.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Sorry I'm new and nose speak much English, but I urgently need to respond to questions as they organize a tournament and I need to know if
1. Camping with Mario is Legal?
2. Fleeing with mario legal?
3. Mario Cape Stall legal?
4. What is not legal with mario?
Thanks, please answer me soon because I need to know now.
Dat new Mario tech

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'd personally even go so far to say that Wolf-Falco is -3 for Wolf.

It's just such an incredibly ****ty MU.

Of course Wolf is literally a BAir in most MUs.

Falco will take none of that **** though.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Wolf's Nair is a pretty decent mixup. It's not like, great for damage racking but you can act out of it pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure it has little to no landing lag.

Tesh

Smash Hero
nah his nair really is bad. its like sonic's nair except instead of a hitbox with knockback, it just.....hits them like fox lasers. its pretty useless aside from jab locking and lots of bad moves can do that (like sonic's jab).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There's a word for that... what is it again? Where you hit something and it doesn't actually do any knockback, just gives damage? Like when you hit Bowser in his FS.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
You might be thinking of a phantom hit in Melee where you miss by 1 pixel and it does the damage without doing knockback.

But I doubt Wolf's Nair phantom hits all the time, and I don't even know if there even are phantom hits in Melee

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Nah, in brawl if you're just slightly too far away, you get sparks coming off the object. I like to call it tinking the object. I've done with Dtilt, Fsmash... even Usmash. That's insane when that happens.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Didn't know Nair was so balls. I never use it much (less than once per match), but it usually works when I do. Probably just because they aren't expecting it.

hyoipear

Smash Cadet
Okay, this isn't on topic right now, but does anyone know know why Kirby has +2 on Lucas? Is it because of gimping potential?

Luigi player

Smash Master
It does half the damage, and pixel probably isn't the unit of measurement you should use for Smash.
/nit-picking

There are no phantom hits in Brawl.
It's funny cuz I remember Sakurai talking about "phantom hits" on one of the Dojo updates... at least iirc... and they should've been just like in Melee...

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I'm pretty sure he was talking about Glancing Blows: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html (scroll down)

Glancing Blows and Phantom Hits are different though in that Glancing Blows you have to just barely miss the opponent, and Phantom Hits you could make an attack that looked like it hit its mark DEAD CENTER and for whatever reason it just doesn't work(although you still get the damage).

Also, the later parts of Wolf's Nair just have no flinch hitboxes. It's a shame because that move just looks so cool...

bubbaking

Smash Hero
John, I think you got it wrong. Phantom hits happen in the same way Glancing Blows do, when the hitbox of an attack passes tangential to the hurtbox of the victim. The sound and visual effect produced make it look like the attack hit normally but no KB or hitstun is induced and only half-damage is dealt.

Edit: And how can you say that nair looks cool when it's just a copy of Sonic's. We were just talking about how boring Sonic's moveset is. :troll:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
The thing listed as a 'glancing blow' in that article occurs when the attack barely misses the opponent's hurtbox. Absolutely no damage and knockback are dealt and the opponent doesn't flinch. And I think this only exists in Brawl.

Phantom hits (I've only heard this term used for an occurrence that seems to be exclusive to Melee) is, I believe, when the hitbox and hurtbox connect from the maximum possible distance, resulting in no knockback/flinching but still damage (dunno if it's full damage).

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Maximum possible distance is practically tangential which could also be seen as "barely missing" (Sakurai was never specific). Seeing as how Brawl was partly copied and pasted from Melee, I wouldn't be surprised. Phantom Hits/Glancing Blows are the result of the best possible spacing of both the attacker and the defender. Melee rewards the attacker and Brawl rewards the defender. Goes to show how these games were supposed to be played. :p

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
My point was that glancing blows deal no damage whereas phantom blows do, you know, to address this:
Phantom hits happen in the same way Glancing Blows do, when the hitbox of an attack passes tangential to the hurtbox of the victim. The sound and visual effect produced make it look like the attack hit normally but no KB or hitstun is induced and only half-damage is dealt.
Also, maximum spacing =/= best spacing. I'm sure a Marth player in Melee would rather get a tipper dair offstage than a phantom dair any day.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
My point was that glancing blows deal no damage whereas phantom blows do, you know, to address this:

Also, maximum spacing =/= best spacing. I'm sure a Marth player in Melee would rather get a tipper dair offstage than a phantom dair any day.
And Puff players definitely do not want Phantom Rests

bubbaking

Smash Hero
That's why Phantom Hits are dumb. The maximum possible spacing for a successful hit SHOULD give one the full rewards of that hit. It's why I like Glancing Blows more than Phantom Hits.

Edit: And to clarify, by "same way", I meant they're performed in the same manner, they just have different results.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
That's why Phantom Hits are dumb. The maximum possible spacing for a successful hit SHOULD give one the full rewards of that hit. It's why I like Glancing Blows more than Phantom Hits.
So given that you hit the opponent with a maximally spaced move, you'd rather them take 0 damage and no hitstun/knockback over them taking some damage and no hitstun/knockback because you think one should be rewarded for spacing a move to its maximum distance?

wat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom