• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Matchup Chart v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
Snake vs Wolf wasn't discussed, I don't think any Snakes wanted a change and only Seagull was 100% on making it 0 while the rest of us were either borderline or with -1. Idk if I can get you a good unbiased write-up for something that wasn't discussed, but imo the main thing that gives Snake the edge is higher direct damage output on punishes, superior range on the ground to stuff approaches, and living longer.

:059:

:phone:
I want to see it completely rediscussed because i think -1 is wrong. I've been playing this matchup alot lately and i think it's actually in wolf's favor by +1. But I want to hear what everyone has to say.

EDIT:

Oh and i want all of Mario's MUs redsicussed because pretty much every figure on that chart for him is wrong if you want help discussing Mario again i'll input this time i've got alot of offline exp even though i've never entered tournaments i've played alot people and have a basic grasp of the whole roster (not an in depth one lol if i'm wrong on characters that aren't Mario,Yoshi,Wolf,Sonic,Wario,Falco then forgive me xD)

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
who are you? :D
I'm Patman...

cav66

I go by many names but the one most people know me as is PMC, I play wifi but i play my friend offline once a week, so i don't have any bad habits from it lol. I also used to play about 30 people in the early days locally before they quit.

but question is... who are you O.o

Also i see you come from Germany good brawl region son :)

I live in UK a region where nobody is allowed to enter tourneys unless they're chavs that go to church on sundays, do Yoga on Tuesdays (i think) and enjoy jam making ;P

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The only Mario match-ups that I'm confused about are PT, Sheik, Sheilda, and Yoshi as -1...I dunno how one can push for a match-up to be in a character's favor when said match-up never occurs.

I also 100% disagree with Wolf being among Mario's -2's but...eh

Everything else looks pretty okay.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
The only Mario match-ups that I'm confused about are PT, Sheik, Sheilda, and Yoshi as -1...I dunno how one can push for a match-up to be in a character's favor when said match-up never occurs.

I also 100% disagree with Wolf being among Mario's -2's but...eh

Everything else looks pretty okay.
your not the only one who disagrees with wolf being -2 for Mario and i know it from both sides.

lol i mistype everytime i come here xD

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've used some Mario in my time, and many people have a reasonably solid one around here. The only famous Mario I've played is Boss, who I recall doing quite well against, though it was a while back. The stats are definitely in PT's favor a fair amount.

Squirtle has at least a slightly better juggle game, better ground pokes (faster jab, stupid F-Tilt), and Squirtle's shortness combined with a great grab range means that getting grabs to start a juggle isn't difficult when Mario has to run up on him. Ivysaur spaces alright on the ground with tilts and F-Smash, as well as spending a ton of time pivot grabbing to minimize Mario's opportunities to get in (not that Ivysaur wins, but, it isn't terrible to manage to B-Throw and switch). Charizard outranges him in in the air and on the ground. Rock Smash trades with many of his moves in general, and short bursts of Flamethrower make it difficult for him to run around.

Take it or leave it. We do the best we can.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The way I figure it, Mario loses to Squirtle cleanly head-to-head. Instead, Mario has to rely more on his OOS options, anti-airs (Usmash beats his aerials cleanly and utilt trades or beats them), and his own pokes to get his damage. Coupled with fireballs and Squirtle's light weight, I think the overall advantage that squirtle has here is rather small, if that. I think the issue comes when Marios approach this match-up without realizing that Squirtle runs circles around Mario when it comes to mobility and frame data.

I agree about Ivy, and it's reasonable for a PT to get her out of the match if they want to before much damage is done.

Zard 's range is problematic, but it's kinda offset by his size and vulnerability to combos. Zard doesn't have the tools to keep Mario out indefinitely, nor does he have the tools to keep Mario from wreaking havoc once he's inside, AFAIK. His size also makes fireballs easier to utilize to get inside or get some space if feeling pressured. If I had to tack a match-up rating to Mario v Charizard, it'd probably be 0.

OVERALL, I don't see an advantage here. Maybe I'm underrating or overrating elements of the match- up, but in a pairing that happens so very little, no video evidence to speak of, and few active and skilled mains of either character (AFAIK)...it's hard to get behind an advantage in PT's favor, especially since it's not even a definite one in theory alone.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If PT wins the match-up then it's not by that much. Most Mario player think Snake is -2 [I'm like the only one who thinks it's worse] and PT isn't even close to that. Tbh I think the individual spread adds up to 0 [-1 vs Squirtle, +1 vs Ivy, 0 vs Zard] but it's the fact that PT can keep Ivy out of battle rather easily that makes the match-up in his favor overall ... realistically PT isn't in disadvantaged a lot vs Mario so +1 seems the most reasonable number. Although closer to 0 than to -2.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Monk thinks Mario v Snake is unwinnable due to ftilt.

He's not even completely off about that, lol.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Utilt is ********, yeah. Ftilt is almost equally unfair.

I've played Sheik vs Mario from both sides of the fence (vs Tutu/Moose w Mario) (vs Steep/Xero w/ Sheik) and I tend to think that it's +1 Sheik. I got bodied really hard by Xero last I played it (but less than when I used any of my other characters), so Judo vs Xero might be a better indicator of how that MU works at higher levels, but I found it very difficult to do much of anything when I played against Tutu and Moose with Mario.

On the flip side, as much as I respect Steep's Mario, it was very easy not to respect Steep's Mario (lol) in game. Sheik literally doesn't have to between her speed on the ground, grounded needles and tilts. You can GC Dacus Mario iirc (I seem to remember Tutu nailing me with it a ton) for a kill after damaging enough. If Mario gets in he gets some really good juggles and can edgeguard Sheik's relatively limited recovery, but I don't believe Mario gets that chance often enough for it to be even.

Yoshi vs Mario seems to dip more towards +1 in Yoshi's favor. It seems even-ish at first, but as damage chips away and etc, Yoshi really seems to have an easier time converting kills. Playing MX, Hades and older MW Yoshi's have all had mostly the same result for me.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I want to see it completely rediscussed because i think -1 is wrong. I've been playing this matchup alot lately and i think it's actually in wolf's favor by +1. But I want to hear what everyone has to say.

EDIT:

Oh and i want all of Mario's MUs redsicussed because pretty much every figure on that chart for him is wrong if you want help discussing Mario again i'll input this time i've got alot of offline exp even though i've never entered tournaments i've played alot people and have a basic grasp of the whole roster (not an in depth one lol if i'm wrong on characters that aren't Mario,Yoshi,Wolf,Sonic,Wario,Falco then forgive me xD)
Well, make a good case for Wolf/Snake being anything else and we'll see where that goes, you can't just go up to a panel of respected Wolves and Snakes saying "this MU is wrong, change it" without presenting a really good argument as to why. I don't think we'll be rediscussing anything for a while though, so don't expect any immediate changes on the chart even if your argument does hold weight.

For Mario vs Wolf, we kept it at +/-2 (what it was last time) because Kain has always had an easy time taking out top Marios, and when Krystedez played Seagull it was apparently a convincing enough victory for Krys to accept a -2... although to be fair we did vote it as one of our harder +2s, and also discussed it past results. If you'd like more information I can look through the discussion and submit a write-up after checking with the Mario panelists to make sure it's good to go.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I think the Wolf/Snake matchup could be even on stages with three or more platforms. Just get the lead and force him to approach you in the air. It's a strategy that works for Diddy if it's worked into your regular playstyle and it seems like Wolf can do a better job at it (better aerial mobility and slightly better aerial moves)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wolf's aerial moves aren't better than Diddy's at all. And Diddy's camping is still more flexible while camping. The situations are not comparable.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Wolf's aerial moves aren't better than Diddy's at all. And Diddy's camping is still more flexible while camping. The situations are not comparable.

Wolf's B-air and F-air are at least as good as Diddy's B-air and F-air. Diddy can't really camp Snake since his peanuts get beaten out by Snake's grenades.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
The way I figure it, Mario loses to Squirtle cleanly head-to-head. Instead, Mario has to rely more on his OOS options, anti-airs (Usmash beats his aerials cleanly and utilt trades or beats them), and his own pokes to get his damage. Coupled with fireballs and Squirtle's light weight, I think the overall advantage that squirtle has here is rather small, if that. I think the issue comes when Marios approach this match-up without realizing that Squirtle runs circles around Mario when it comes to mobility and frame data.

I agree about Ivy, and it's reasonable for a PT to get her out of the match if they want to before much damage is done.

Zard 's range is problematic, but it's kinda offset by his size and vulnerability to combos. Zard doesn't have the tools to keep Mario out indefinitely, nor does he have the tools to keep Mario from wreaking havoc once he's inside, AFAIK. His size also makes fireballs easier to utilize to get inside or get some space if feeling pressured. If I had to tack a match-up rating to Mario v Charizard, it'd probably be 0.

OVERALL, I don't see an advantage here. Maybe I'm underrating or overrating elements of the match- up, but in a pairing that happens so very little, no video evidence to speak of, and few active and skilled mains of either character (AFAIK)...it's hard to get behind an advantage in PT's favor, especially since it's not even a definite one in theory alone.
I guess everyone has a different opinion on this MU I feel Mario wins lol.

I've used some Mario in my time, and many people have a reasonably solid one around here. The only famous Mario I've played is Boss, who I recall doing quite well against, though it was a while back. The stats are definitely in PT's favor a fair amount.

Squirtle has at least a slightly better juggle game, better ground pokes (faster jab, stupid F-Tilt), and Squirtle's shortness combined with a great grab range means that getting grabs to start a juggle isn't difficult when Mario has to run up on him. Ivysaur spaces alright on the ground with tilts and F-Smash, as well as spending a ton of time pivot grabbing to minimize Mario's opportunities to get in (not that Ivysaur wins, but, it isn't terrible to manage to B-Throw and switch). Charizard outranges him in in the air and on the ground. Rock Smash trades with many of his moves in general, and short bursts of Flamethrower make it difficult for him to run around.

Take it or leave it. We do the best we can.
now you see i think it's in Mario's favor, I've played alot of Pokemon Trainers. Squirtle I found that Fireballs can kinda force an aproach on Mario I say kinda because it doesn't always work because squirtle can air camp and aviod them and Jab clashes with them but he's no MK his fall speed is faster and he only has 2 jumps. I think On stage Squirtle has a slight advantage because of his superior speed and having a juggle game which can rival/ possibly beat Mario's as you rightly say but off stage i'd say Mario's got this by a slight amount, whilst squirtle's water gun is like a better version of Mario's Fludd, Cape can wreck squirtle pretty badly and Squirtle's up B doesn't go very high. In terms of Killing if Mario avoids Squirtle's up smash then it will become a contest of endurance and in the long run Mario will win because of Pokemon Trainer's stamina issue, Squirtle is also light so basically Squirtle will loose his killing ability and he's light too so Mario will I personally feel get the kill first if the Mario is the same level as the Squirtle and knows the MU to a similair degree.

overall though i'd say Mario V squirtle is evenish if i had to give it to one i'd give it to squirtle as Matador said Mario has to rely alot on OOS aproaches and Squirtle's air game is a bit better than Mario's also if i had to give a figure i'd say 0 becuase Mario has decent ant air options but if one has to win i'd say squirtle

Ivysaur i think is quite possibly one of the worst characters in this game, and I don't think ivysaur stands much of a chance against Mario especially since Ivysaur is damaged by fireballs more than normal, as well as having a horrible air speed meaning Mario has better gimp options also Bullet seed i don't think is that effective if Mario knows how to DI that along with the fact Mario is kinda light. Mario's B-air is faster than any of Ivy's air spacers and honestly I think whilst Ivy's forward air has more range i don't think it can Beat Mario's aproach options and B-air I feel isn't a very good hit box. If you combine the fact mario Juggles Ivy quite easily with rapid Up airs and Ivy takes more damage than normal from flam based attacks fireballs and F-smash look quite promising. Down smash ivy if she's at the ledge and she's pretty much dead at the higher percents. I think razor leaf is an anacronism the start up means it's predictable and easily power shielded.

Overall I think Mario wins by about +2 (maybe an over statement) but he definetly beats Ivysaur.

Charizard I feel is like fighting a better version of Bowser, mostly because his Rock smash is such a good kill move and can beat alot of Mario's moves if timed right, but his abismal air speed means he's easily fludded and caped off stage. fireballs aren't particularly effective on Chari his multiple jumps and good range mean that whilst he's big with a bad air speed they aren't a problem for him. His dash speed is quite good Flamethrower can be anoying but Mario can DI into it quicly and get a free super jump punch. Chari has to try hard to keep Mario at a distance because if Mario gets in close he racks up damage very quickly with up tilt up air Juggles and wall of pains (if they happen). I think they're evenish on stage but like the other two pokemon chari's recovery lets him down against Mario. A tactic i found effective as Mario against all 3 is to just N-air them off stage and try to predict/punish them when they're trying to get back on stage, I wouldn't N-air at early percents though because the sour spot can be disastrous as it doesn't send anybody that far and you'll most likely be punished after you've used it.

Overall i'd say Mario takes this because i think Charizard has to play a bit more safely than Mario does even though his rock smash can make him difficult if Mario is underneath him or gets him off stage he's pretty much dead.

slight advantage for Mario maybe +1

PKM Trainer overall I think Mario wins, Squirtle is a tough opponent for anyone and Chari is hard if you don't have much exp but runs into problems off stage. Ivysaur is at a clear disadvantage, sheer lack of speed and an even worse recovery Mean Mario's got the advantage I know Mario's recovery isn't great but PKMN Trainers all 3 mons are quite gimpable with what Mario has. Even though PKMN trainer can keep squirtle out more than the other two by switching PKMN trainer still has two mons that I feel clearly loose to Mario and one thats even to slightly against Mario but very close to even.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
Diddy's uair and bair are also > Wolf uair imo

I disagree wolf's U-air has more range and Diddy's B-air has way less range. F-air I can see why Ish would say > but F-air has a bit more start up than Wolf's B-air. it also has a bit less range in fact every one of Diddy's individual moves it outreached by wolf's except F-air which is about the same and Diddy's N-air has more range than wolf's N-air but Wolf's N-air comes out faster than all of Diddy's ariels. Wolf B-air> Diddy B-air Wolf F-tilt more range than Diddy F-tilt, all individual smash attacks wolf has more range.

archer.

Smash Lord
Why does Wolf beat Toon Link? Seems like a very even match-up to me.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Why does Wolf beat Toon Link? Seems like a very even match-up to me.
Better damage output, better ability to kill, and he negates :toonlink:'s projectiles almost entirely with his out prioritizing aerials and shine.

:toonlink: is light and :wolf: is heavy. Results from tourneys also indicate it's :wolf:'s favor +1.

:018:

archer.

Smash Lord
Can you give me some examples of high/top level Wolfs playing/beating high/top level Toon Links? I know the match-up doesn't happen that often so the only examples I could find on youtube were MJG vs Kain, MJG vs Holmes (here and here) (both from 2010), Jerm vs. you (here, here, and here) (Pound 5), and MJG vs Ally's Wolf (July 2011 and the only game in the set Ally went Wolf), all of which the TL won the set (or in the last case the one game).

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Yeah, I still think Diddy's U-air is better since it comes out faster though
During some frames diddy's bair has more range this his fair. I don't know much about wolf's up air but diddy's fair beats out marth's fair. In the end bair has some incredible range if you time it right.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
KingToon played Xzax's Wolf a lot and thought it was +1 Wolf, Kunai played Semifer's Wolf a lot and thought it was +1 Wolf, otherwise there aren't any TL/Wolf pairs that have played the MU a lot. Idk, from personal experience I think it's somewhere between 0 and +1 Wolf, bair is just too good :cool: but TL is still really annoying. Idk, would you like a write-up? We can try to get one done, it was kinda like the people who wanted it at 0 didn't really mind too much though so idk how biased or not it'd be :x

Also, yeah, on second though I guess Diddy's uair and Wolf's uair are about tied, but Diddy's bair is worse. This isn't really an important thing to throw out opinions on though lol

I'd be fine with helping out with a write-up.

I used to think it was even but Wolf is a little tricky.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Can you give me some examples of high/top level Wolfs playing/beating high/top level Toon Links? I know the match-up doesn't happen that often so the only examples I could find on youtube were MJG vs Kain, MJG vs Holmes (here and here) (both from 2010), Jerm vs. you (here, here, and here) (Pound 5), and MJG vs Ally's Wolf (July 2011 and the only game in the set Ally went Wolf), all of which the TL won the set (or in the last case the one game).
There are sets where Wolf's win you should check results more rather than just relying on visual evidence to prove something

The reason Wolf most likely wins +1 is not cause he negates TL's camping but because he can close the distance easily and keep him in a zone he isn't comfortable in up close. Camping isn't much of a factor on either side. Still it could be a MU that changes in the future but not enough of the MU occuring to show otherwise for now

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Uhm I beat Kingtoon's TL in pools at SiiS4 which made him switch to DDD, and I beat MJG at Brainshock 2-0.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Am too lazy too but if you look it up you would see LOL

Seagull never really played TL before the set with Jerm, MJG is just better than Holms, and Ally never practiced Wolf alot which is easy to tell from that vid.

Just saying the MU could change in the future, but there are more instances of Wolf's winning over TL then the other way around.

MJG

Smash Hero
Am too lazy too but if you look it up you would see LOL

Seagull never really played TL before the set with Jerm, MJG is just better than Holms, and Ally never practiced Wolf alot which is easy to tell from that vid.

Just saying the MU could change in the future, but there are more instances of Wolf's winning over TL then the other way around.
This is 100% false @ the bolded area. I have heard him talk about his knowledge in the TL MU before he played Jerm and I will be damned if he says otherwise. Seagull lost to jerm and I know jerm doesn't know the MU that well at all since he still lost to Holms 3 other times.

There were points where I thought the MU was in wolf's favor but I honestly don't see it that way any more. Bair is the main issue in this MU and there are ways around that...like not limiting yourself to a corner of the stage so that his bair becomes an issue (and wolf's bair can't touch us if we are retreating with our bair). Wolf may be able to negate our best trait, which is camping but we should really try to approach wolf while spamming and trying to link up different combo's against wolf.

In regards to wolf's beating TLs more, I honestly don't know about what character beats who more and Ally isn't the best example to use in regards to me beating wolf either.

EDIT: The highest level of play for this MU in the US atm would take place if myself or KT could play kain or seagull at this point in time.

@Flayl: Kain's referring to SiiS 4 where he beat Atomsk (he already stated what went down with KT) and at Brainshock Alpha (where he ended up winning the tourney).

archer.

Smash Lord
In terms of top-level play, this match-up has occurred like once between v1 and v2 of this chart, twice if you count Jerm vs. Seagull since that match and the release of v1 were so close together that I don't know if the match was a factor at that point in time. If you count that, it's 1-1. If you don't, it's 1-0 in favor of Wolf, but one instance (or even two instances) of top-level play isn't quite enough to base a ratio change on IMO, unless the panels decided to just theorycraft the **** out of this match-up.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
In terms of top-level play, this match-up has occurred like once between v1 and v2 of this chart, twice if you count Jerm vs. Seagull since that match and the release of v1 were so close together that I don't know if the match was a factor at that point in time. If you count that, it's 1-1. If you don't, it's 1-0 in favor of Wolf, but one instance (or even two instances) of top-level play isn't quite enough to base a ratio change on IMO, unless the panels decided to just theorycraft the **** out of this match-up.
I think I've said this before but...alot of MU's outside of high tier are based on theorycraft because they barely ever occur. It's not like it's some BS theorycraft what was talked about actually occurs in the MU, it's just something that needs to be solidified further with more actual play of the MU.

I think it was majority decision in that MU though, I remember I changed my vote back to 0 after talking about it more and Ish did too but it already had a majority from both panels to change so we just went with that

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I've played and beaten Kingtoon a few times. Lost to Jerm once. And beaten Lobos a few times. That one MM with Jerm is the only time I've ever lost to a :toonlink:.

I've lost to PSP on Wi-Fi too if that means anything :troll:.

:018:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom